ADVERTISEMENT

2018 IUFB Schedule

Allen has a lot of competition in the "middle class" of the big ten. Frost went 13-0 at Ucf and beat Auburn in a bowl. Durkin and Fleck are making splashes in recruiting. Brohm is winning and recruiting better. Thank goodness for Lovie Smith stealing from Illinois and Kyle Flood destroying Rutgers.

I still believe 2018 is Allen's year to make or break. It's his best chance at beating Maryland, Purdue and Minnesota and continuing his recruiting momentum. If IU loses to them and misses out on a bowl AGAIN, then he's lost the narrative to those coaches and and the message out there becomes that he's destined for the cellar of the Big Ten. Allen MUST win!!
Lots of hyperbole in your post, including the argument that 2018 is CTA's "best chance" at beating Maryland, Minnesota and Purdue. Maryland's coach, Durkin, has proven he can recruit. He's yet to prove he can be a successful head coach. Fleck's first year at Minnesota produced a 5-7 record after the Gophers were 9-4 in 2016. Brohm had a nice first season at Purdue but we'll see whether he can sustain that and/or how long he sticks around in WL.

Except for a couple of teams, it's pretty tough to project too far out in the Big Ten. The jury is still out on all the guys/teams you mentioned and whether - - and for how long - - those games remain winnable games for IU.

What your saying could be true unless Allen rights the ship quickly and gets us bowling next year and also beats purdue...

I'll say one thing...The two years of bowling were sweet. The fact that we did not make it last year with a first year head coach with no experience was not acceptable but understandable. Fast forward to this year and the pressure gets turned up for all these coaches.

I think Hoosier nation expects to go bowling or find someone who can get us there. If we don't go bowling next year IDK what Glass will do. Glass set the table for success with new facilities so he is doing his part. The next thing will be to continue raising money in order to get and keep good coaches. If Allen doesn't produce Glass only option will be to pony up because he already had his shot rolling the dice with Allen.

I like CTA and think he can get it done. He has a year under his belt so hopefully he takes his experiences and holds all these coaches extremely accountable moving forward. We shall see because if we don't bowl next year the posse will be out in force me thinks!

If Allen fails then Glass should not be here to make the next pick. IU cannot reward incompetence in the athletics department.

I for one am not very confident about this fall. Our non conference schedule includes two games against bowl teams and nine games against rapidly improving conference foes.

The jury is still out on all the guys/teams you mentioned and whether - - and for how long - - those games remain winnable games for IU.
Exactly what I am saying. The jury is still out on these guys, therefore it is imperative that Allen beats them in 2018. Otherwise, they will become established as coaches and programs with perceptions of having surpassed IU.

It's analogous to Wilson defeating Hazell two years in a row, and the increase in perception of IU football. Then boom! We go to a bowl. And then another. 4 buckets in a row. At that point, IU owned the narrative as an up and coming program while Purdue was a laughing stock.

No one wants IU to lose the momentum gained from 4 buckets, two bowls, and a great 2017 recruiting class. Allen cannot lose to Fleck, Durkin and Brohm while missing out on another bowl, otherwise I fear the narrative out there will be that Allen took a program on the way up and got it stuck in the mud.

Exactly what I am saying. The jury is still out on these guys, therefore it is imperative that Allen beats them in 2018. Otherwise, they will become established as coaches and programs with perceptions of having surpassed IU.

It's analogous to Wilson defeating Hazell two years in a row, and the increase in perception of IU football. Then boom! We go to a bowl. And then another. 4 buckets in a row. At that point, IU owned the narrative as an up and coming program while Purdue was a laughing stock.

No one wants IU to lose the momentum gained from 4 buckets, two bowls, and a great 2017 recruiting class. Allen cannot lose to Fleck, Durkin and Brohm while missing out on another bowl, otherwise I fear the narrative out there will be that Allen took a program on the way up and got it stuck in the mud.
I think that's a fair assessment, but unless the wheels really fall off I would not be in favor of firing Coach Allen after this upcoming season. I think even if we finish 5-7 again it would be a mistake to can the staff and start over.

The step backward that most programs take when a coaching change is made likely would mean for us a couple of 3 win seasons the next two years as players transfer and recruiting stalls. What happened at Purdue this season isn't what typically happens in year one of a coaching change, and would be even more unlikely in the B1G east. Purdue was at rock bottom and woefully underperforming with the talent already in place during Hazell's last two years.

We've been down this road of head coach roulette too many times in the last twenty years. I think Allen deserves at least 3-4 more years if we can be competitive and within a game of .500 - above or below.

I do imagine that Fred Glass' fate will ultimately be determined by the success of the two marquee programs since both guys are clearly his choices. That's reasonable. I like what I see in both coaches. I'm going to stay optimistic and say FG comes out looking good on both decisions five years from now.

That loss sucked, but there is no way I'd blow Tronti's redshirt for one game...even Purdue. If he's as good as people think, you'll be thankful 4 years from now.

And, to add to that, are people suggesting that we just put him in that Purdue game as his first game against live competition? That's suicide.

If he had already burned his redshirt, I could see that. But, pull his redshirt to start against Purdue? No way.

I think that's a fair assessment, but unless the wheels really fall off I would not be in favor of firing Coach Allen after this upcoming season. I think even if we finish 5-7 again it would be a mistake to can the staff and start over.

The step backward that most programs take when a coaching change is made likely would mean for us a couple of 3 win seasons the next two years as players transfer and recruiting stalls. What happened at Purdue this season isn't what typically happens in year one of a coaching change, and would be even more unlikely in the B1G east. Purdue was at rock bottom and woefully underperforming with the talent already in place during Hazell's last two years.

We've been down this road of head coach roulette too many times in the last twenty years. I think Allen deserves at least 3-4 more years if we can be competitive and within a game of .500 - above or below.

I do imagine that Fred Glass' fate will ultimately be determined by the success of the two marquee programs since both guys are clearly his choices. That's reasonable. I like what I see in both coaches. I'm going to stay optimistic and say FG comes out looking good on both decisions five years from now.
I agree that in no way should Allen be fired. Some new coordinators would be a requirement, however.

I agree and if thats the case FG will still have to pony up for these new coordinators. Good ones don't come cheap!
That said a ton of praise from this board was given to Brohm and I disagree with all the praise. In fact IMO Brohm did not do crap...Scoring offense was worse under Brohm than last year. If Brohm did not have Holt as the DC this year Purdue would have been lucky to have gone bowling. Purdue went from 117th in scoring defense to 24th. Thats Amazing. If they don't roll out the checkbook next year and he maintains that or does better Holt will be gone not Brohm!

Reactions: vesuvius13
That said a ton of praise from this board was given to Brohm and I disagree with all the praise. In fact IMO Brohm did not do crap...Scoring offense was worse under Brohm than last year. If Brohm did not have Holt as the DC this year Purdue would have been lucky to have gone bowling. Purdue went from 117th in scoring defense to 24th. Thats Amazing. If they don't roll out the checkbook next year and he maintains that or does better Holt will be gone not Brohm!
True, Holt did a very good job with the D, but what Brohm did do was manage his roster well. He brought in something like 12 new players via 5th year transfer, juco etc, several of those guys were big contributors for them.

I don't really care what Purdue does next year, with the exception of losing the Bucket in Bloomington to a bowl bound IU football team.

I don't really care what Purdue does next year, with the exception of losing the Bucket in Bloomington to a bowl bound IU football team.
I was just using the coordinator as an example. Not sure what our coordinators make but with CTA staying on as DC we should be very low in total coaches payroll compared to other schools...Anyone know that figure compared to others?

But that loss was catastrophic and simultaneously moved us back three years and moved Purdue forward four years. We weren't bowling three years ago and Wilson didn't bowl until year five.
I think you are way over reacting to the importance of that one game. If it were that important then why were the previous four not that much or more so? It was just one game. There are several years of recruiting and playing games before we know how good CTA can be. Let it play out.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1

Brohm didn’t do crap? You realize he lost his entire receiving corps from 2016 and several solid o-linemen? I think he did pretty well with his team when you factor in his trick plays and the offense the last 3 or 4 games of the year. I agree that Holt was fantastic but Brohm certainly gets credit too.

Reactions: fpeaugh
I was just using the coordinator as an example. Not sure what our coordinators make but with CTA staying on as DC we should be very low in total coaches payroll compared to other schools...Anyone know that figure compared to others?
Yeah, I do agree with you. I really believe that for Allen to succeed as coach, he needs to be a full time HC. Promote Hagen or whatever. But he's spread too thin. I really don't like his approach of Debord as HC of the Offense. If he can't run the entire team, including O, D, and ST, then he doesn't deserve to be head coach.

Reactions: IUgradman
Brohm didn’t do crap? You realize he lost his entire receiving corps from 2016 and several solid o-linemen? I think he did pretty well with his team when you factor in his trick plays and the offense the last 3 or 4 games of the year. I agree that Holt was fantastic but Brohm certainly gets credit too.
Go away.

Please.

There, that was civil.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Who said Tronti would have been a difference maker as a true freshman? I don't think anyone said he would have beaten OSU, PSU, UM, MSU. Would you have burned his shirt just so we could beat Purdue? Give up a year for one game?

What I did say was that Tronti is better than Penix.
Reese might be better than both of them.

Reactions: gohoosiers1984Not
Incredibly ignorant. Is it really that hard to give a rival coach some credit? Good grief. All the national experts must be mistaken.

Incredibly ignorant. Is it really that hard to give a rival coach some credit? Good grief. All the national experts must be mistaken.
I hate that Purdue has already surpassed us in terms of pure results. So I can't stand seeing Purdue posts on this board. I'd rather not acknowledge it. That being said, Brohm definitely outcoached Allen in 2017. Allen had the more talented and deeper team and still lost to a QB with one ACL. Embarrassing. I hate those bastards up north.

Russell Wilson 2.0? The Wisconsin version of RW. He's disappeared into the void that WAS the NFL, now known as the I will never watch it again league.
Void ? Really ? You might be overestimating your personal influence a bit, don't you think ? I haven't watched an NBA game in years but somehow that league has managed to survive my disinterest.

But if you don't value free speech and the right to peaceful protest, well, that is your right as well. But be careful what you wish for. The day your employer can compel you to participate in a patriotic salute might someday be here, but I'm going to say that most of us will notice the demise of a lot of other rights as well when that day does arrive.

Reactions: Walt542 and RBB89
Void ? Really ? You might be overestimating your personal influence a bit, don't you think ? I haven't watched an NBA game in years but somehow that league has managed to survive my disinterest.

But if you don't value free speech and the right to peaceful protest, well, that is your right as well. But be careful what you wish for. The day your employer can compel you to participate in a patriotic salute might someday be here, but I'm going to say that most of us will notice the demise of a lot of other rights as well when that day does arrive.
Your assumption for why I don't watch the NFL is false... Why the personal attack out of nowhere?

Your assumption for why I don't watch the NFL is false... Why the personal attack out of nowhere?
Then I owe you an apology. I should not have assumed that was the reason. As a high school US Government teacher my patience has worn pretty thin with people who have such little understanding of and appreciation for the First Amendment. We all have the absolute right to decide what does and does not interest and entertain us, and to watch or not watch accordingly. My apologies.

Reactions: RBB89
Why do you have “not” in your username?
I created this username for the express purpose of communicating my dissatisfaction in the direction taken by IU athletics. Most prominently, the hiring of Debord and the cheap bargain hunting assistant coaching hires when BTN gives us money hand over fist and then some. I'm tired of seeing other programs invest and reap rewards in their programs while IU continues to mire in mediocrity, completely satisfied that everything is just fine. I'll admit I'm kind of an a hole most of the time. But I've had enough of the rah rah sis boom bullish!t going on these days.

Then I owe you an apology. I should not have assumed that was the reason. As a high school US Government teacher my patience has worn pretty thin with people who have such little understanding of and appreciation for the First Amendment. We all have the absolute right to decide what does and does not interest and entertain us, and to watch or not watch accordingly. My apologies.
No worries. I value the first amendment, as evidenced my my rants here. I don't like the NFL for reasons too long discuss here.

I created this username for the express purpose of communicating my dissatisfaction in the direction taken by IU athletics. Most prominently, the hiring of Debord and the cheap bargain hunting assistant coaching hires when BTN gives us money hand over fist and then some. I'm tired of seeing other programs invest and reap rewards in their programs while IU continues to mire in mediocrity, completely satisfied that everything is just fine. I'll admit I'm kind of an a hole most of the time. But I've had enough of the rah rah sis boom bullish!t going on these days.

I liked the DeBoard hire at the time...CTA already made it known he was going to coach the defense so he grabbed a very experienced OC that was really doing well at Tennessee and was more happy back home in Indiana (pun maybe :) ) anyways. After watching for a year, yup his seat is hot and yup ole FG is going to have to be ready and able to pony up if we are going to compete at the number 1 cash cow for every D1 university out there FOOTBALL.

Who counts as cheap bargain hunting assistant hires?

Plus lots of other schools are flush with cash, if not more so, and as such would be able to match offers by IU, so just throwing around money isn't necessarily going upgrade the coaching talent.

Look no further than Illinois for a school that spent a lot of money on a staff just to spend money on a staff.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1 and JohnsyRick
Who counts as cheap bargain hunting assistant hires?

Plus lots of other schools are flush with cash, if not more so, and as such would be able to match offers by IU, so just throwing around money isn't necessarily going upgrade the coaching talent.
First, you are right. If I spent $40k on a Toyota Corolla, it doesn't mean it will perform like a Mustang just because I threw money at it. But the fact that I have $40k to spend on a car means I don't have to settle for a corolla.

Furthermore, something is a bargain usually because no one wants it and therefore it's price drops. Economics. Demand and Supply.

Finally, it's the Administration's job to make IU football desirable for quality talented coaches to want to come to coach and to stay. Be it resources, or whatever. Talent recruitment and talent retention is the employer's responsibility. I understand if coaches want to move on, but it shouldn't be because IU lacked the support and infrastructure for them to become successful.

First, you are right. If I spent $40k on a Toyota Corolla, it doesn't mean it will perform like a Mustang just because I threw money at it. But the fact that I have $40k to spend on a car means I don't have to settle for a corolla.

Furthermore, something is a bargain usually because no one wants it and therefore it's price drops. Economics. Demand and Supply.

Finally, it's the Administration's job to make IU football desirable for quality talented coaches to want to come to coach and to stay. Be it resources, or whatever. Talent recruitment and talent retention is the employer's responsibility. I understand if coaches want to move on, but it shouldn't be because IU lacked the support and infrastructure for them to become successful.

The general car analogy doesn't work because of the finite number of coaches. In essence though, the coaching market would be a situation where you only have the option to go to one car lot, that has 200 cars and 150 people trying to buy them, and in that situation, you might only be able to get a corolla with that 40k. The concepts of markets and supply/demand sort of fall apart when there is such a limited amount of supply and demand

Last edited:
The general car analogy doesn't work because of the finite number of coaches. In essence though, the coaching market would be a situation where you only have the option to go to one car lot, that has 200 cars and 150 people trying to buy them, and in that situation, you might only be able to get a corolla with that 40k.
It works, because not all 150 people want to buy a car, have the same budget, or have the same goals. Out of all 128 Fbs programs, only a fraction needed new staff last year, same with this year. And most don't have B1G resources.

I liked the DeBoard hire at the time...CTA already made it known he was going to coach the defense so he grabbed a very experienced OC that was really doing well at Tennessee and was more happy back home in Indiana (pun maybe :) ) anyways. After watching for a year, yup his seat is hot and yup ole FG is going to have to be ready and able to pony up if we are going to compete at the number 1 cash cow for every D1 university out there FOOTBALL.
DeBord’s offenses at Tennessee (set several school records) were not only better than Wilson’s offenses at the same time here, but our offense this past season under DeBord was better than Wilson’s last offense here. I don’t know why people continue to ignore that fact or just flat out make things up. Was the offense still bad this past year? Yes. Has it been bad for 2 years under 2 different coaches? Yes. That’s not really on MD. Our QB and OL situation hasn’t been particularly good the last 2 years.

Why do people continue to respond to a poster who’s name is literally “GoHoosiersNot?” He’s trolling.

Reactions: jsglenn4
It works, because not all 150 people want to buy a car, have the same budget, or have the same goals. Out of all 128 Fbs programs, only a fraction needed new staff last year, same with this year. And most don't have B1G resources.

Yes I know that not all have the same budget etc, but all I'm saying is that the ones with bigger budgets than IU are probably taking all the cars that are better than Corollas on the lot.

And yes, only a fraction of schools have B1G resources, but my point is that if we are losing out on coaching talent, its still to schools with MORE resources than IU.

Yes I know that not all have the same budget etc, but all I'm saying is that the ones with bigger budgets than IU are probably taking all the cars that are better than Corollas on the lot.

And yes, only a fraction of schools have B1G resources, but my point is that if we are losing out on coaching talent, its still to schools with MORE resources than IU.
Then we can agree to disagree.

This is spot on. And incredibly there is a pretty large group in our fanbase who don’t see it. Or they see it and still deny that it exists. They’re enabling the problem to continue.

So do we not have a similar budget as Purdue?

Why is it that we both paid the same amount for a car and they drove off with a Porsche while we got a pre owned moped?

Who’s to blame for that?

Why do people continue to respond to a poster who’s name is literally “GoHoosiersNot?” He’s trolling.
My dislike for the state of the program is clear and out in the open. It's even in my username. I say what I feel like saying whenever I want to say it. I don't pretend to be a cheerleader then say something just to piss people off and laugh at them. If you dont like me, then ignore me. It's that simple.

So do we not have a similar budget as Purdue?

Why is it that we both paid the same amount for a car and they drove off with a Porsche while we got a pre owned moped?

Who’s to blame for that?

If you want to make that argument about Brohm/Allen, I'd strongly disagree but would kinda get where you were going with it. But the discussion was about Asst salary budget, and other than Nick Holt, I don't think there is anyone on Purdue's staff that I would pick over anyone on IU's

DeBord’s offenses at Tennessee (set several school records) were not only better than Wilson’s offenses at the same time here, but our offense this past season under DeBord was better than Wilson’s last offense here. I don’t know why people continue to ignore that fact or just flat out make things up. Was the offense still bad this past year? Yes. Has it been bad for 2 years under 2 different coaches? Yes. That’s not really on MD. Our QB and OL situation hasn’t been particularly good the last 2 years.
I understand that RBB what did I ignore or make up???? What you need to realize that without Dobbs, DeBords offense would not have done squat. If you can't understand that part of the stat and think that was DeBord you are way off. jus sayin

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT