ADVERTISEMENT

2018 IUFB Schedule

Who said Tronti would have been a difference maker as a true freshman? I don't think anyone said he would have beaten OSU, PSU, UM, MSU. Would you have burned his shirt just so we could beat Purdue? Give up a year for one game?

What I did say was that Tronti is better than Penix.
He may be better than Penix. But in the coaches eyes he wasn’t better than Lagow or Ramsey THIS year. Maybe that changes next year.

You don’t redshirt players who would play that year. Ever. This is college football 101. If a guy can help you win this year, you don’t redshirt him. Unbelievable that some don’t even know this very basic fact about college sports.

Even if Tronti was the most physically talented this past fall ( and I'm not saying he was)it is a huge jump to come in that fall and learn the offense and learn to read defenses and start right away. That doesn't mean that Tronti can't pass Ramsey. Penix is an early enrollee I believe so that will give him a better shot at starting right away.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Well if he was better than Lagow and/or Ramsey he wouldn’t have redshirted this year. That’s pretty obvious. So hopefully he improved enough to pass Ramsey next year.
Ramsey redshirted last year. Does that mean Zander was a better quarterback?

Ramsey redshirted last year. Does that mean Zander was a better quarterback?
Lagow started last year. And yes, he was much better than Ramsey. Again, you don’t redshirt a guy who could help you as a freshman.

I wouldn't count Ramsey out quite so quickly. The young guy didn't back down against some good Big Ten defenses. I don't think he'll flinch in a competition against some fellow QB 's...

Lagow started last year. And yes, he was much better than Ramsey. Again, you don’t redshirt a guy who could help you as a freshman.
Just depends if you think that person as a freshman is good enough to play right away. I would rather have that person as a 5th year senior over what he could do as a 18 year old freshman.

I’m curious why everyone seems to think Purdue will be a W. Brohm is back and they took it to us this year. And we lose more than they do. What is going to change? Maybe I’m missing something.

I don't think it is an automatic win by any stretch. Brohm might improve them even more next year, that said, they beat IU essentially by two freak plays at their place.

This year was so front-loaded with the Bronx Bombers that it had to be discouraging, combined with weather change in bye week that moved our mid-year (& much needed) bye week to week #2!

It's very early now, but with a friendlier spread of games & home games, combined with what I believe will be an improved offense and another solid year for the defense...I"m going to go with 7-5, which would mean a "better" bowl & +2 game improvement and tracking in the right direction.

As you can see there is technically a "path" to 9 wins, but I won't be too dreamy yet. But we really should have beaten MSU this year, IA at home & MN on road very winnable. We've even played UM close last few years too, but more so at IU than in the Big House)

Season Predictions: 7-5 (with hopes for more!)

@FIU - W
UVA - W
BSU - W
MSU - L (*Winnable)
@RU - W
OSU - L
IA - L (*Winnable)
PSU - L
@MIN - W (*Very Winnable)
BYE WEEK
MD - W
@UM - L
PU - W

Ways things could go south? Same as above but lose @Rutgers & @Home to PU in Bucket game. But I don't see it happening!

Beating M$U in the 4th game may well be the key to the whole season.

Out of our last 9 games, in at least 5 of them we will be matched up against probable top 20 or better teams. If we can win the first 4 and split against the remaining 8 we can end up having a pretty decent season.

Now I'm a win-em all and go to the Big Ten Championship kind of guy every year so I'm not trying to be negative, just, best case, realistic based on what I precieve is still a lack of 3 deep talent at more than a few key positions.

Hope I'm wrong and we win out...

I agree with most of this but I don't think we can just rack Virginia up as a win yet, even at home. They also improved substantially as the season progressed. They will be a tough game.
Not to mention opening AT FIU, they were 8-5 (with a bowl loss), which tied the most wins for them . Butch Davis has them going in the right direction, and he brought in , what looks to be, a good recruiting class. It looks like there are a few guys in that class who originally went to really high end programs, but left due to “off field” issues. So Butch is taking some risks that these kids never make it there or cause issues while there (one kid, I think, punched a coach, another was charged with domestic abuse, grade issues these kind of issues).
All that said , there is some excitement brewing down there, so I think we will definitely have our hands full on the road to open the season.

I agree with most of this but I don't think we can just rack Virginia up as a win yet, even at home. They also improved substantially as the season progressed. They will be a tough game.
Nothing is automatic for Indiana football, but that is a game we should win and it’s a game we should expect to win, especially with how we performed up there last year with the win. I’m sure they expect to win as well.

Not to mention opening AT FIU, they were 8-5 (with a bowl loss), which tied the most wins for them . Butch Davis has them going in the right direction, and he brought in , what looks to be, a good recruiting class. It looks like there are a few guys in that class who originally went to really high end programs, but left due to “off field” issues. So Butch is taking some risks that these kids never make it there or cause issues while there (one kid, I think, punched a coach, another was charged with domestic abuse, grade issues these kind of issues).
All that said , there is some excitement brewing down there, so I think we will definitely have our hands full on the road to open the season.

Yeah, FIU is bringing in some "ringers" that clearly have talent but may be questionable citizen/athletes...

Virginia did get better as the year went along (but loses some key starters on paper [QB & both T's]) and Ball State will always give us their best shot.

All that said, "if" our guys play to the upper level of their ability they should pull out W's in those three games. Will they be "easy" wins? I've watched enough IU football to never expect an "easy" win.

If we are to show any progress and show hope for contending in the East, wins against Virginia and FIU must, must be automatic. I don't care about beating any ranked teams next year but to show this program is progressing, we MUST beat everyone else.

Has there been any talk about the FIU game becoming a home game since they owe us one from last year's cancellation? If I was Fred, I'd have let them out of the game this year with the expectation that the 2018 game be played in Bloomington.

Has there been any talk about the FIU game becoming a home game since they owe us one from last year's cancellation? If I was Fred, I'd have let them out of the game this year with the expectation that the 2018 game be played in Bloomington.

Ordinarily, I'd agree wholeheartedly, but I'm hoping that a big part of the reason we scheduled these guys was for recruiting purposes. So a game down there this year is a good thing. I "would" hope that Fred would have tried to secure a future additional home game from that snookering we took last fall from them but I highly doubt that was done (bad PR concerns and all).

I was highly criticized for everything from being thoughtless to having no empathy when I called for that game to be played last fall but I stick by my reasoning then, and always will, that Butch was "using" the hurricane as a dodge to avoid a certain loss against us...,a team he's recruiting directly against...

They were already comfortably ensconced in AL, had even already played one game there, but suddenly they needed the weekend off (but sure didn't miss the next one, a winnable game...)...

Sure would hope we've gotten some sort of quid pro quo for our bend over backwards humanitarian thoughtfulness...

Yes, Fred should try to make a deal where they play here this year. That's just common sense.

They will be playing in Bloomington at a later date. That was announced months ago.

Could be but FIU loses their starting QB (who threw every pass but 1 during the season), their leading rusher who had twice the yards as their #2 back, and their leading receiver who had almost 3 times the yards as their #2 receiver. That is a lot to replace, especially for the opening game. I hope they don't move the game to Thursday night like two years ago. I live in Florida and it would be nice to go to the game.

Could be but FIU loses their starting QB (who threw every pass but 1 during the season), their leading rusher who had twice the yards as their #2 back, and their leading receiver who had almost 3 times the yards as their #2 receiver. That is a lot to replace, especially for the opening game. I hope they don't move the game to Thursday night like two years ago. I live in Florida and it would be nice to go to the game.
No doubt they will miss McGough ,the QB, as they did once he was hurt in their bowl game. Supposedly they are looking for a juco or grad transfer QB, but they return the entire OL, except one guy, and he is petitioning for a 6th year. They also signed 2 four star monster DT’s , we’ll see if they make it to campus. It is certainly a game we must win, I just have enough experience watching IU football to know it won’t be easy !

Absolutely! To beat Purdue for the fifth year in a row and increase the bowl streak to three years you would give up two years of the kid's eligibility. I think you're vastly underestimating how important that loss was for us.
That loss sucked, but there is no way I'd blow Tronti's redshirt for one game...even Purdue. If he's as good as people think, you'll be thankful 4 years from now.

Absolutely! To beat Purdue for the fifth year in a row and increase the bowl streak to three years you would give up two years of the kid's eligibility. I think you're vastly underestimating how important that loss was for us.
Wait, are you talking about Tronti? That’s just dumb. I think he’s going to be a good player, but thank God you aren’t in charge.

There goes Jones rushing for another first down because our great defense can't tackle.

I wouldn’t chalk up wins against Maryland or Minnesota. Maryland has recruited in the top twenty nationally the last three years, and who knows when the boat starts rowing in Minnesota. I like what Allen has done from a game philosophy and recruiting perspective, but Big Ten wins are getting tougher and tougher to come by each year.

There goes Jones rushing for another first down because our great defense can't tackle.
How many times are you going to say the same thing? Yes, Jones had a big game. We know that. We saw it. But if you can't see that IU's defense, including tackling, is light years ahead of where it was just a few years ago, you need to find a new sport to follow.

This is the dumbest line of thinking I’ve ever seen on here. Yes, because even the best defenses don’t have bad games or miss tackles. DWS

You’re literally looking every statistic and fact in the face and ignoring them just to make up something to rant about. We missed out on bowling because the offense sucked. It has sucked for two years in a row now.

I wouldn’t chalk up wins against Maryland or Minnesota. Maryland has recruited in the top twenty nationally the last three years, and who knows when the boat starts rowing in Minnesota. I like what Allen has done from a game philosophy and recruiting perspective, but Big Ten wins are getting tougher and tougher to come by each year.

Yep. The B1G could be very tough next year. We need to get better every year. Hopefully we will.

How many times are you going to say the same thing? Yes, Jones had a big game. We know that. We saw it. But if you can't see that IU's defense, including tackling, is light years ahead of where it was just a few years ago, you need to find a new sport to follow.
You fool! I’ll show you…allow me to point out two defenses ranked 78th and 108th in the country. Now that’s a defensive turnaround!

VBG

That guy is off his rocker.

That loss sucked, but there is no way I'd blow Tronti's redshirt for one game...even Purdue. If he's as good as people think, you'll be thankful 4 years from now.
I don't think Tronti would have helped one bit in the Purdue game for the record, but there is nothing he can do in the next four years to beat Purdue five times in a row. It's like trading a future All-Star to win the World Series. It's painful but not as painful as losing.

Reactions: gohoosiers1984Not
I don't think Tronti would have helped one bit in the Purdue game for the record, but there is nothing he can do in the next four years to beat Purdue five times in a row. It's like trading a future All-Star to win the World Series. It's painful but not as painful as losing.
That’s a ridiculous comparison.

Wait, are you talking about Tronti? That’s just dumb. I think he’s going to be a good player, but thank God you aren’t in charge.
For not understanding the context of a statement, you are very quick to judge. Let me say it clearer for you so that you know what I'm saying and then can thank God for whatever tickles your fancy at the time.

Tronti is completely unknown. He might be really good and he could never play a meaningful snap at Indiana. Having never seen him play, I cannot with any degree of certainty say that he should have played over Lagow or Ramsey. However, I would gladly have traded two years of this unknown commodity to extend our bowl run to three and to beat Purdue for the fifth straight time for the first time in 100+ years of playing college football.

The statement is total hyperbole (you can't really give up two years of eligibility in one year - no matter who is in charge.) I hope the kids turns out to be an All-American and that we beat Purdue for the next ten years.

But that loss was catastrophic and simultaneously moved us back three years and moved Purdue forward four years. We weren't bowling three years ago and Wilson didn't bowl until year five.

Reactions: gohoosiers1984Not
I guess someone better tell Bama and UGA about this freshman QB thing.

I'll go out on a limb here...Penix will be our starter.

For not understanding the context of a statement, you are very quick to judge. Let me say it clearer for you so that you know what I'm saying and then can thank God for whatever tickles your fancy at the time.

Tronti is completely unknown. He might be really good and he could never play a meaningful snap at Indiana. Having never seen him play, I cannot with any degree of certainty say that he should have played over Lagow or Ramsey. However, I would gladly have traded two years of this unknown commodity to extend our bowl run to three and to beat Purdue for the fifth straight time for the first time in 100+ years of playing college football.

The statement is total hyperbole (you can't really give up two years of eligibility in one year - no matter who is in charge.) I hope the kids turns out to be an All-American and that we beat Purdue for the next ten years.

But that loss was catastrophic and simultaneously moved us back three years and moved Purdue forward four years. We weren't bowling three years ago and Wilson didn't bowl until year five.

On the flip side of that, that might not play well on the recruiting trail. You burn a guys red shirt on the last game and cost him almost a year of starting just because it benefits you, the coach. Not sure that would be lost on highly rated QB parents, win or lose. Personally I agree that I would have made that trade, but long term probably not a good idea.

Allen has a lot of competition in the "middle class" of the big ten. Frost went 13-0 at Ucf and beat Auburn in a bowl. Durkin and Fleck are making splashes in recruiting. Brohm is winning and recruiting better. Thank goodness for Lovie Smith stealing from Illinois and Kyle Flood destroying Rutgers.

I still believe 2018 is Allen's year to make or break. It's his best chance at beating Maryland, Purdue and Minnesota and continuing his recruiting momentum. If IU loses to them and misses out on a bowl AGAIN, then he's lost the narrative to those coaches and and the message out there becomes that he's destined for the cellar of the Big Ten. Allen MUST win!!

Reactions: IUgradman

What your saying could be true unless Allen rights the ship quickly and gets us bowling next year and also beats purdue...

I'll say one thing...The two years of bowling were sweet. The fact that we did not make it last year with a first year head coach with no experience was not acceptable but understandable. Fast forward to this year and the pressure gets turned up for all these coaches.

I think Hoosier nation expects to go bowling or find someone who can get us there. If we don't go bowling next year IDK what Glass will do. Glass set the table for success with new facilities so he is doing his part. The next thing will be to continue raising money in order to get and keep good coaches. If Allen doesn't produce Glass only option will be to pony up because he already had his shot rolling the dice with Allen.

I like CTA and think he can get it done. He has a year under his belt so hopefully he takes his experiences and holds all these coaches extremely accountable moving forward. We shall see because if we don't bowl next year the posse will be out in force me thinks!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT