ADVERTISEMENT

2018 IUFB Schedule

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
This year was so front-loaded with the Bronx Bombers that it had to be discouraging, combined with weather change in bye week that moved our mid-year (& much needed) bye week to week #2!

It's very early now, but with a friendlier spread of games & home games, combined with what I believe will be an improved offense and another solid year for the defense...I"m going to go with 7-5, which would mean a "better" bowl & +2 game improvement and tracking in the right direction.

As you can see there is technically a "path" to 9 wins, but I won't be too dreamy yet. But we really should have beaten MSU this year, IA at home & MN on road very winnable. We've even played UM close last few years too, but more so at IU than in the Big House)

Season Predictions: 7-5 (with hopes for more!)

@FIU - W
UVA - W
BSU - W
MSU - L (*Winnable)
@RU - W
OSU - L
IA - L (*Winnable)
PSU - L
@MIN - W (*Very Winnable)
BYE WEEK
MD - W
@UM - L
PU - W

Ways things could go south? Same as above but lose @Rutgers & @Home to PU in Bucket game. But I don't see it happening!

This year was so front-loaded with the Bronx Bombers that it had to be discouraging, combined with weather change in bye week that moved our mid-year (& much needed) bye week to week #2!

It's very early now, but with a friendlier spread of games & home games, combined with what I believe will be an improved offense and another solid year for the defense...I"m going to go with 7-5, which would mean a "better" bowl & +2 game improvement and tracking in the right direction.

As you can see there is technically a "path" to 9 wins, but I won't be too dreamy yet. But we really should have beaten MSU this year, IA at home & MN on road very winnable. We've even played UM close last few years too, but more so at IU than in the Big House)

Season Predictions: 7-5 (with hopes for more!)

@FIU - W
UVA - W
BSU - W
MSU - L (*Winnable)
@RU - W
OSU - L
IA - L (*Winnable)
PSU - L
@MIN - W (*Very Winnable)
BYE WEEK
MD - W
@UM - L
PU - W

Ways things could go south? Same as above but lose @Rutgers & @Home to PU in Bucket game. But I don't see it happening!
Note: OSU game is @OSU!

Reactions: vesuvius13
I'm not going to predict losses as I expect them to win every game. Are they going 15-0? Probably not, but I am not calling out losses the same as i am not guaranteeing wins. Gotta play them out and see what we got. The schedule is a lot more managable though.

Last year's schedule was a huge hurdle, stumbling block, impediment, whatever you want to call it, that even very good teams would struggle overcoming.

I have no interest in following Indiana if those types of schedules were to continue. I assure you, teams like Iowa, Northwestern, Wis., Louisville, and others, did not develop winning programs playing 5 top fifteen teams the first 7 weeks of their seasons. Get real!

Last year's schedule was a huge hurdle, stumbling block, impediment, whatever you want to call it, that even very good teams would struggle overcoming.

I have no interest in following Indiana if those types of schedules were to continue. I assure you, teams like Iowa, Northwestern, Wis., Louisville, and others, did not develop winning programs playing 5 top fifteen teams the first 7 weeks of their seasons. Get real!
It was a tough schedule, no doubt. We played #5 OSU week 1, #9 PSU week 5, and #17 UM in week 7 #18 MSU in week 8. Who were the other top 15 teams?

I thought Idaho is moving down to the FCS level and rejoining the Big Sky Conference.I didn't think our conference teams were allowed to schedule those from that level, although I know that happened this past season with Charleston Southern only because of the FIU cancellation.

I thought Idaho is moving down to the FCS level and rejoining the Big Sky Conference.I didn't think our conference teams were allowed to schedule those from that level, although I know that happened this past season with Charleston Southern only because of the FIU cancellation.
Idaho?

Idaho might get grandfathered in since they were expected to be FBS when they were scheduled.

Also, because of unanticipated scheduling conflicts due to the 9 game conference schedule, the big ten has relaxed the rules and now permits scheduling of FCS teams when a school 4 home/5 road conference games. The 2021 game would fine then, and if Idaho doesn't get grandfathered, I think the 2022 game (5 home game year) would probably get dropped or pushed to a later 4 home game year

Last edited:
Really looking forward to the Louisville series. It’s a shame though that it’s still several years away.

I’m curious why everyone seems to think Purdue will be a W. Brohm is back and they took it to us this year. And we lose more than they do. What is going to change? Maybe I’m missing something.

Reactions: channi

Supposedly we received a waiver from Delaney for those games since ID made their move after they'd signed their contracts with us (or at least that's what my hazy recall is coming up with)...

Really looking forward to the Louisville series. It’s a shame though that it’s still several years away.

I'm not. They can bring in guys that we couldn't even get into school... With that kind of recruiting advantage they'll always be a tough win.

As long as we're in the Big Ten East playing 5 or 6 of the top 20 (with our W cross over opponent) every year we don't have any business scheduling someone as an out of conference opponent who has a 60% or better chance of beating us.

Reactions: CC Mac
I'm not. They can bring in guys that we couldn't even get into school... With that kind of recruiting advantage they'll always be a tough win.

As long as we're in the Big Ten East playing 5 or 6 of the top 20 (with our W cross over opponent) every year we don't have any business scheduling someone as an out of conference opponent who has a 60% or better chance of beating us.
The first game is not even until 2023. There’s a whole lot that can change between now and then.

Reactions: ESalum86
I’m curious why everyone seems to think Purdue will be a W. Brohm is back and they took it to us this year. And we lose more than they do. What is going to change? Maybe I’m missing something.

My gut feeling is that had the game been in Bloomington or had Ramsey played, IU would have one the game. With both of those, I think IU wins by 2+ TDs

With the exception of UVA, I played like s@#* on the road, especially on offense.

With Ramsey it was more style of play, his mobility would have neutralized Purdue's DL (their strongest position group) that was just manhandling our OL. Lagow needs time to throw to have any chance of being productive and he had none.

Plus, I'd disagree with IU losing more (at least by any significant margin). I think we lose 1 or 2 more starters than Purdue, but they lose 5 second string players and IU loses none.

Last edited:
My gut feeling is that had the game been in Bloomington or had Ramsey played, IU would have one the game. With both of those, I think IU wins by 2+ TDs

With the exception of UVA, I played like s@#* on the road, especially on offense.

With Ramsey it was more style of play, his mobility would have neutralized Purdue's DL (their strongest position group) that was just manhandling our OL. Lagow needs time to throw to have any chance of being productive and he had none.

Plus, I'd disagree with IU losing more (at least by any significant margin). I think we lose 1 or 2 more starters than Purdue, but they lose 5 second string players and IU loses none.
I'm not sold on Ramsey. He doesn't have the sturdiness for his "style" of play. He gets hurt too easily and I doubt he'd even make it past the OSU game. We need someone tougher and more talented. I really like Penix and see him as the next Lamar Jackson. If he's not taking game snaps next year, his coaches need help.

In regard to Louisville, I was initially surprised the ACC extended an invitation to join. The ACC used to pride itself on academics, and I believe Louisville being part of it lowers the reputation of the conference.

Reactions: lorenaimee and 76-1
I'm not sold on Ramsey. He doesn't have the sturdiness for his "style" of play. He gets hurt too easily and I doubt he'd even make it past the OSU game. We need someone tougher and more talented. I really like Penix and see him as the next Lamar Jackson. If he's not taking game snaps next year, his coaches need help.
Still think its gonna be tough to beat out Tronti...

Reactions: LeConte
In regard to Louisville, I was initially surprised the ACC extended an invitation to join. The ACC used to pride itself on academics, and I believe Louisville being part of it lowers the reputation of the conference.

Don't think its a ton different than the BT adding Nebraska.

Still think its gonna be tough to beat out Tronti...
You're probably right.

After re-watching their senior highlights, Ive changed my mind about Penix. I really prefer Tronti's mechanics much better than his and the more I watched, Penix is really going to need to change this whole throwing motion. Tronti is more polished and he's going to be tough to beat. I'd bet on him.

Don't think its a ton different than the BT adding Nebraska.

Nebraska ranks 124th in U.S. Public Universities and Louisville ranks 165th. The Husker’s endowment is $1.5B and Louisville’s is $715M. Nebraska is the Big Ten’s lowest ranked school and Louisville is the ACC’s lowest ranked.

Reactions: travlinhoosier

I don’t think Ramsey changes anything besides makes things worse. Did you not watch the games he played?

Lagow started for a reason. He gave us the best chance to win.

Unless Tronti drastically improves I think the QB position gets worse next year. Forget about hitting the big plays down field which opens up everything else. Let’s hope Tronti can be that guy.

I don’t think Ramsey changes anything besides makes things worse. Did you not watch the games he played?

Unless Tronti drastically improves I think the QB position gets worse next year. Forget about hitting the big plays down field which opens up everything else. Let’s hope Tronti can be that guy.

Lagow was starting because Ramsey was hurt. He was only gonna play if Lagow got hurt in the latter part of the season.

Did you not watch the Virginia game? IU loses that game if Ramsey hadn't come in.

Lagow started games 9 through 12 for a reason: Ramsey was hurt.

Tronti improves??? Compared too his film? Keep in mind IF he starts next year he will still be a first year starter. BUT from his film and comments from others that have watched him whats not to look forward too? Lets not forget the state championship game and the roll into it which I've read plenty on. Hoping this kid is everything I've heard and more!

Tronti improves??? Compared too his film? Keep in mind IF he starts next year he will still be a first year starter. BUT from his film and comments from others that have watched him whats not to look forward too? Lets not forget the state championship game and the roll into it which I've read plenty on. Hoping this kid is everything I've heard and more!
Well if he was better than Lagow and/or Ramsey he wouldn’t have redshirted this year. That’s pretty obvious. So hopefully he improved enough to pass Ramsey next year.

Well if he was better than Lagow and/or Ramsey he wouldn’t have redshirted this year. That’s pretty obvious. So hopefully he improved enough to pass Ramsey next year.
No, it's you don't burn a redshirt if you can help it. It'll ruin a kid especially if he's playing behind a crappy O line.

33o0dgy.jpg

At the qb position that is not even remotely true. You seem to have a penchant for making up facts as you go to support your opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the qb position that is not even remotely true. You seem to have a penchant for making up facts as you go to support your warped opinions.

Drew Bree’s played 8 games and threw 43 passes as a freshman behind Billy Dicken who is not a member of the Cradle of Quarterbacks. If he had redshirted his numbers would have been difficult to exceed.

Reactions: lorenaimee
Drew Bree’s played 8 games and threw 43 passes as a freshman behind Billy Dicken who is not a member of the Cradle of Quarterbacks. If he had redshirted his numbers would have been difficult to exceed.

Drew Brews is an NFL hall of fame qb. You can count the number of guys that should start as true freshman every year on less than one hand. Sometimes you have to, sometimes it is warranted but that is very rare.

Drew Brews is an NFL hall of fame qb. You can count the number of guys that should start as true freshman every year on less than one hand. Sometimes you have to, sometimes it is warranted but that is very rare.

Agree that it seldom happens with an established program unless there is an absence of a quality starter through a combination of things like transfers, career inding injuries, or an injury that opens the door for a freshman ala Georgia.

No, it's you don't burn a redshirt if you can help it. It'll ruin a kid especially if he's playing behind a crappy O line.

At the qb position that is not even remotely true. You seem to have a penchant for making up facts as you go to support your opinions.
You don’t redshirt players who would play that year. Ever. This is college football 101. If a guy can help you win this year, you don’t redshirt him. Unbelievable that some don’t even know this very basic fact about college sports.

Well one thing we know for sure, is that next year we will have a pick from three very mobile QB's. Two of which, seem to have pretty good arms. Lagow had a great arm, but being behind our young line with his lack of mobility really hurt us. Our offensive line will be one year older and stronger, and with the addition of Nick Linder, should start becoming an asset again. Couple that with an improved rushing game, and a plethora of talented receivers. The offense could be really potent again, and I believe that we beat purdue in B-town.

Reactions: RBB89
You don’t redshirt players who would play that year. Ever. This is college football 101. If a guy can help you win this year, you don’t redshirt him. Unbelievable that some don’t even know this very basic fact about college sports.
Who said Tronti would have been a difference maker as a true freshman? I don't think anyone said he would have beaten OSU, PSU, UM, MSU. Would you have burned his shirt just so we could beat Purdue? Give up a year for one game?

What I did say was that Tronti is better than Penix.

Reactions: ashdoc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT