ADVERTISEMENT

2017 IN class has 6 four and five star players, but only 1 is leaning towards IU

Do you really think it was a lack of leadership and bad culture that made Hanner smoke weed like it was his job? Bad culture caused Bus to get less than 2 C's? Bad culture at Syracuse that caused him to transfer? Bad culture that caused the kid from LC to transfer? It was a talented class that was immature and irresponsible - assume this is where the coach gets blamed... When do we hold the parents accountable?
Luke Fischer's parents obviously raised a pretty smart kid.

And the fact will reflect the opinion of the state HS coaches and AAU coaches.

But, I know, it's just a coincidence, right?
I guess that fact will be reflected in the various opinions that state HS and AAU coaches will have. However, I have no reason to believe that the Indiana coaches will all share the same opinion or that they all feel the same level of intensity for the opinions they do have in common.

But if you wish to see this as a huge negative, I can understand why you would feel that way even though I probably won't agree with you.

Do you really think it was a lack of leadership and bad culture that made Hanner smoke weed like it was his job? Bad culture caused Bus to get less than 2 C's? Bad culture at Syracuse that caused him to transfer? Bad culture that caused the kid from LC to transfer? It was a talented class that was immature and irresponsible - assume this is where the coach gets blamed... When do we hold the parents accountable?
Who is/was the coach who recruited/evaluated those immature and irresponsible players?

Who is/was the coach who Gets paid $3.5 mil to run the program and to hold players accountable? Crean had people tweeting to him in December 2013 that Hanner and Yogi were driving around drunk. Two months later, Hanner gets busted after blowing .15 - nearly TWICE the legal limit - and gets TWO games! TWO EFFING GAMES!!! Are you effing kidding me??

Then Yogi and Stan get arrested Little 500 weekend. Do you know why they got arrested? The official version is they had false ID's - which is true. The Excise officer was gonna let them off; all they had to do was leave and go back to campus. Yogi ARGUED with the cop that they should be allowed to stay if they didn't drink anything. You don't think Crean knew about that?

After Devin damn near died from being run over by Holt, we found out about Troy and Stan failing drug tests OVER THE SUMMER! Why did it take until November for them to come to light? I've been told by several people I know who said they were announced to ward off them being leaked and looking even worse to the press. That was Stan's 2nd offense in less than 4 months - just WHY was he still on the team? Maybe after watching what punishment Hanner got he didn't think he'd get in deep trouble? Maybe Devin and Hanner continue to toke because they know punishment will be light?

At what point does Crean NOT get held responsible? He get credit for the Vics and OGs, right? So WHY wouldn't he be responsible for the other players? Please try to spin that one . . .

Reactions: Rakkasan29
I guess that fact will be reflected in the various opinions that state HS and AAU coaches will have. However, I have no reason to believe that the Indiana coaches will all share the same opinion or that they all feel the same level of intensity for the opinions they do have in common.

But if you wish to see this as a huge negative, I can understand why you would feel that way even though I probably won't agree with you.
I'm not stating this because I want to hate on Crean. I wish it were different.

But it isn't. It's the truth. Everything you're seeing now regarding in-state recruits I had been told since right after the National Championship game in April. Go back and read my comments from 2-2 1/2 months ago.

Not all HS coaches feel like this about Crean. But 70% or better do; the percentage around Indy is even higher.

All the more reason that we should be more involved and higher listed with these guys: PT is available. Unbelievable to me that fans can't see the indication of problems that we aren't getting more of the higher rated guys in our backyard. That's some serious smoke.

2-1/2 months after you made this statement we still have fans making excuses.

Dude
Who is/was the coach who recruited/evaluated those immature and irresponsible players?

Who is/was the coach who Gets paid $3.5 mil to run the program and to hold players accountable? Crean had people tweeting to him in December 2013 that Hanner and Yogi were driving around drunk. Two months later, Hanner gets busted after blowing .15 - nearly TWICE the legal limit - and gets TWO games! TWO EFFING GAMES!!! Are you effing kidding me??

Then Yogi and Stan get arrested Little 500 weekend. Do you know why they got arrested? The official version is they had false ID's - which is true. The Excise officer was gonna let them off; all they had to do was leave and go back to campus. Yogi ARGUED with the cop that they should be allowed to stay if they didn't drink anything. You don't think Crean knew about that?

After Devin damn near died from being run over by Holt, we found out about Troy and Stan failing drug tests OVER THE SUMMER! Why did it take until November for them to come to light? I've been told by several people I know who said they were announced to ward off them being leaked and looking even worse to the press. That was Stan's 2nd offense in less than 4 months - just WHY was he still on the team? Maybe after watching what punishment Hanner got he didn't think he'd get in deep trouble? Maybe Devin and Hanner continue to toke because they know punishment will be light?

At what point does Crean NOT get held responsible? He get credit for the Vics and OGs, right? So WHY wouldn't he be responsible for the other players? Please try to spin that one . . .
Dude, you think those kids broke bad when they hit Bloomington?

Come on, the kids and their parents own that mess.

I'm not stating this because I want to hate on Crean. I wish it were different.

But it isn't. It's the truth. Everything you're seeing now regarding in-state recruits I had been told since right after the National Championship game in April. Go back and read my comments from 2-2 1/2 months ago.

Not all HS coaches feel like this about Crean. But 70% or better do; the percentage around Indy is even higher.
Is the 70% number something with any degree of validity to it or is it your educated guess?

And for me, if the % is higher with Indy area coaches, I wouldn't be surprised. First of all let me disclose that I grew up in the Region and back in my day most of the people I knew felt that the Indy area HS coaches where to say this politely, "full of themselves." That was many seasons ago so maybe things have changed or maybe the perception was inaccurate to begin with.

Is the 70% number something with any degree of validity to it or is it your educated guess?

And for me, if the % is higher with Indy area coaches, I wouldn't be surprised. First of all let me disclose that I grew up in the Region and back in my day most of the people I knew felt that the Indy area HS coaches where to say this politely, "full of themselves." That was many seasons ago so maybe things have changed or maybe the perception was inaccurate to begin with.
That is my estimation, although it could be (admittedly) higher or lower.

Again, who gets the blame for the players being recruited there in the first place? And for maintaining a culture of accountability within the program? Isn't that the guy who makes $3.5 mil / yr?

Are some coaches full of themselves? Sure they are - but does that mean they aren't looking out for the best interests long-term for their players? Again, all these talented kids go to exotic locals like East Lansing, Ann Arbor, Lexington, Charlottesville . . . because they "want to get out of state"?

Last edited:
Dude

if that is true (and I think there's a lot of truth to it), doesn't the guy in charge of recruiting them, the guy who gets paid $3.5 mil to run the program, bear a significant amount of responsibility?

Again, if we're gonna give Crean credit for Victor Oladipo and O.G. Anunoby, how does he get a pass on these guys?

Reactions: BigMobe and Hoogolf
if that is true (and I think there's a lot of truth to it), doesn't the guy in charge of recruiting them, the guy who gets paid $3.5 mil to run the program, bear a significant amount of responsibility?

Again, if we're gonna give Crean credit for Victor Oladipo and O.G. Anunoby, how does he get a pass on these guys?
The money is immaterial, think it is causing your bias. The coach, the kids, and the parents all play a role. I think this class was just too full of themselves and represented the absolute worst of the "entitled" athlete being produced. I think CTC felt obligated to recruit them because they were good and their is such a strong bias for INDIANA kids. Personally, glad the movement has passed.

regardless the 17 recruiting class is looking very odd. Instead of gaining ground with recruits we are losing ground.

Dude

But the coach who recruited them should know what he's bringing in, right? And he should address transgressions when they occur, right? And he should require kids to live by certain standards of conduct or move on, right? Crean failed on each of these counts and, worse, the players knew they wouldn't be held to high expectations. Blame parents if you must, but none of them are in charge of IU's basketball program.

The money is immaterial, think it is causing your bias. The coach, the kids, and the parents all play a role. I think this class was just too full of themselves and represented the absolute worst of the "entitled" athlete being produced. I think CTC felt obligated to recruit them because they were good and their is such a strong bias for INDIANA kids. Personally, glad the movement has passed.
If Crean was steered by some "obligation", then his leadership is weaker than many of us previously believed.

regardless the 17 recruiting class is looking very odd. Instead of gaining ground with recruits we are losing ground.

Did you read Bossi's national article posted today?
He spoke about M Williams. Only schools Bossi mentioned were UL, MSU, IU and Iowa... & MW claims it's not a 2 team race and sounded like some other heavy hitters could get involved. It would not shock me if all 4 sign in the spring. Not saying it gives IU a better chance, rather there is a lot to play out.

Did you read Bossi's national article posted today?
He spoke about M Williams. Only schools Bossi mentioned were UL, MSU, IU and Iowa... & MW claims it's not a 2 team races and sounded like some other heavy hitters could get involved. It would not shock me if all 4 sign in the spring. Not saying it gives IU a better chance, rather there is a lot to play out.
I read it but all is says was IU was watching and that its not down to two teams. IU isn't in this one..

Reactions: Hoogolf
I read it but all is says was IU was watching and that its not down to two teams. IU isn't in this one..

Don't disagree but lots of time to play out. I'm not a Crean fan, but typically he stops scouting/recruiting when IU is not somewhat involved. So there's that.

That is my estimation, although it could be (admittedly) higher or lower.

Again, who gets the blame for the players being recruited there in the first place? And for maintaining a culture of accountability within the program? Isn't that the guy who makes $3.5 mil / yr?

Are some coaches full of themselves? Sure they are - but does that mean they aren't looking out for the best interests long-term for their players? Again, all these talented kids go to exotic locals like East Lansing, Ann Arbor, Lexington, Charlottesville . . . because they "want to get out of state"?
I think we may have stumbled onto the cause of our "disconnect." If, as you say, some coaches are "looking out for the bests interests long-term for their players," then maybe the problem is that what is in the best long term interests of their players may not be in the best long-term interests of IU.

I think we may have stumbled onto the cause of our "disconnect." If, as you say, some coaches are "looking out for the bests interests long-term for their players," then maybe the problem is that what is in the best long term interests of their players may not be in the best long-term interests of IU.
Really?

Maybe those coaches advise their players to consider other options because of how little respect they have for Crean. Couldn't be that, could it?

It obviously is the coaches involved with elite Indiana kids. At some point in time you'll understand why that is a serious issue.

I have heard Coach Shannon, New Albany's Coach, say that he would love for Romeo to play at Indiana but it is Romeo's decision. I think that he has contact with elite talent.

I have heard Coach Shannon, New Albany's Coach, say that he would love for Romeo to play at Indiana but it is Romeo's decision. I think that he has contact with elite talent.
Coach Shannon is a great guy. A guy I work with once played for him a long time ago.

Having said that, Romeo is not going to IU while Crean is coach. Believe what you want.

Coach Shannon is a great guy. A guy I work with once played for him a long time ago.

Having said that, Romeo is not going to IU while Crean is coach. Believe what you want.
What do you know and how do you know? Are you Romeo's dad?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT