ADVERTISEMENT

2017 IN class has 6 four and five star players, but only 1 is leaning towards IU

You said he was your must get and just responded to that statement
I do think he is a must as we move forward. Doesn't mean I think he will be better than Wilkes. Wilkes and Scruggs are only two we have a chance with. Williams isn't coming

Scruggs is more of a PG than RJ and we are probably going to see him start at the PG position this year. To me Scruggs is a must get...the dude is a big strong physical guard that will translate well in a physical BIG conference. Newkirk was very average at Pitt, RJ is more of a 2, Green is a project and Cujo is a 2-3. Scruggs would play from day 1 easily.
Scruggs style - a player who takes the ball to the rack aggressively - fits exactly the way Crean likes to play. Xavier is looking more and more like his destination, though.

Basketball is dirtier than football.

If that is true, and I imagine it is, then do we think IU is playing the game too? If not, how does that effect our recruiting? Is it possible that one of the things that some recruits don't like about Crean is the fact that they won't get a payday from IU? I have no idea. IU could be the dirtiest in the Big Ten and I wouldn't know.

Fans of yesteryear factored in the widespread cheating that Knight was up against in evaluating his recruiting, but at some point we just decided that it didn't matter any more.

It may be the cynic in me coming out, but, with regard to recruiting elite prospects, I still believe that many/most are receiving illegal benefits. I'm not saying, for example, that Calipari or UK are directly providing the benefits, but the culture among boosters at some schools has historically been to help out with recruiting in every way possible. I don't think that IU has the benefit of such a culture.

I don't have any connections whatsoever, so my beliefs with regard to cheating in recruiting may well be outdated. I would be interested to hear if those of you with connections think that IU is playing on a level field in this area. I'm aware that Crean pushed the envelope with the Gary Harris visit, but if I remember correctly IU self reported quickly. I can't remember ever even hearing rumors about IU players receiving illegal benefits from boosters, but I've heard frequent rumors about some other schools (from fans or students though, no real source)
I think the playing field is far more level, even among the elite schools, than you imagine it to be. Compliance functions within athletic departments are well staffed and incredibly detailed in their oversight of just about everything under the sun.

If that is true, and I imagine it is, then do we think IU is playing the game too? If not, how does that effect our recruiting? Is it possible that one of the things that some recruits don't like about Crean is the fact that they won't get a payday from IU? I have no idea. IU could be the dirtiest in the Big Ten and I wouldn't know.

Fans of yesteryear factored in the widespread cheating that Knight was up against in evaluating his recruiting, but at some point we just decided that it didn't matter any more.
We play the game but not to the extent of others.

Scruggs is more of a PG than RJ and we are probably going to see him start at the PG position this year. To me Scruggs is a must get...the dude is a big strong physical guard that will translate well in a physical BIG conference. Newkirk was very average at Pitt, RJ is more of a 2, Green is a project and Cujo is a 2-3. Scruggs would play from day 1 easily.

I truly doubt that he will start over a fifth year senior Newkirk who is a true point guard. If Scrugs is more of a SG than a PG, because he will in my opinion look for himself first and others second. If he was a Pg then he would have done that this year with Joey Brunk, which would have lead them to winning NGOs state. New Albany had absolutely nobody for Brunk. He should have touched the ball almost every possession against them.

I think the playing field is far more level, even among the elite schools, than you imagine it to be. Compliance functions within athletic departments are well staffed and incredibly detailed in their oversight of just about everything under the sun.

You may well be right, but did you read the "Meet the Bag Man" article that I linked a few posts back? The article makes it sound like paying money to players, that you know you aren't even going to get, is just a normal, everyday part of recruiting.

I truly doubt that he will start over a fifth year senior Newkirk who is a true point guard. If Scrugs is more of a SG than a PG, because he will in my opinion look for himself first and others second. If he was a Pg then he would have done that this year with Joey Brunk, which would have lead them to winning NGOs state. New Albany had absolutely nobody for Brunk. He should have touched the ball almost every possession against them.
So a fifth year senior automatically means he starts? You have no idea if Newkirk is any good. He was a very average player at Pitt. Scruggs will play from day 1 at IU. Not sure how you argue against that.

He is much better than Marshall stronger, quicker more athletic he will play in the NBA Marshall had no hope to play in the league....................
Marshall Strickland was my definition of a combo guard, i was not comparing him to Scruggs.

So a fifth year senior automatically means he starts? You have no idea if Newkirk is any good. He was a very average player at Pitt. Scruggs will play from day 1 at IU. Not sure how you argue against that.

As you know, the pg position is the quarterback of the team who initiates sets and directs others to their correct places. Newkirk already said that is the most important thing that he learned from playing against Yogi. Next year will be going on his third season in Coach Crean's offense compared to Scruggs with ZERO years of experience in his offense. Who do you think will be more confident in directing the offense?

Plus I do not see Scruggs as elite talent like Gordon, Yogi, or Langford. I see him as being a baby step better than Jones based upon his strength but that migh be negated by time Jones goes through a year of Stength training at IU. Therefore, I do not see him as a lock at starting his freshman year at IU if he chooses to go there.

As you know, the pg position is the quarterback of the team who initiates sets and directs others to their correct places. Newkirk already said that is the most important thing that he learned from playing against Yogi. Next year will be going on his third season in Coach Crean's offense compared to Scruggs with ZERO years of experience in his offense. Who do you think will be more confident in directing the offense?

Plus I do not see Scruggs as elite talent like Gordon, Yogi, or Langford. I see him as being a baby step better than Jones based upon his strength but that migh be negated by time Jones goes through a year of Stength training at IU. Therefore, I do not see him as a lock at starting his freshman year at IU if he chooses to go there.
I guess we will see. To me Scruggs is an elite talent..he will play a lot whether it's at the 1,2, or 3

Reactions: Paterfamilias

Huh?

Newkirk hasn't even been at IU for a year. How will this coming season be his THIRD in Crean's offense?

There is not a guard we have on the roster who is better at taking the ball to the basket and attacking than PS. There just isn't. And considering Crean's offense focuses on that (and transition), Scruggs would see plenty of time if not start his freshman year.

That's wishful thinking, though. Likely he ends up in Cincinnati.

Huh?

Newkirk hasn't even been at IU for a year. How will this coming season be his THIRD in Crean's offense?

There is not a guard we have on the roster who is better at taking the ball to the basket and attacking than PS. There just isn't. And considering Crean's offense focuses on that (and transition), Scruggs would see plenty of time if not start his freshman year.

I am surprised at the number of folks that think Scruggs won't play as a Freshman where ever he goes he will play significant minutes

Huh?

Sorry, I meant Newkirk will be going into his third season running Coach's offense.

Paul Scrugs has not played a single game in college yet, so how do you really know how good he will be in college?

Sorry, I meant Newkirk will be going into his third season running Coach's offense.

Paul Scrugs has not played a single game in college yet, so how do you really know how good he will be in college?
well he is ranked number 35 in the country. Which usually is a good indicator of them being successful. Also you don't know if Newkirk will be very good either. If he is the same player he was at Pitt then he will be a role player

I guess we will see. To me Scruggs is an elite talent..he will play a lot whether it's at the 1,2, or 3

Maybe it's me. Maybe it's just the two games I saw him play in. I don't see Elite in Scruggs at all. Very nice player. Would love to get him but he isn't Elite to the point where you guarantee playing time for. Plus if he's Elite...I guess Romeo hanging 40+ on him was because Romeo was having a bad day?

Maybe it's me. Maybe it's just the two games I saw him play in. I don't see Elite in Scruggs at all. Very nice player. Would love to get him but he isn't Elite to the point where you guarantee playing time for. Plus if he's Elite...I guess Romeo hanging 40+ on him was because Romeo was having a bad day?
Did Scruggs guard him all game did thy switch in picks? Also Romeo was 8-12 from 3. Also Romeo is possibly going to be the best player to come out if Indiana in a long long time

Romeo is extremely talented but his game against Southport was as good as he can shoot it the next week in the finals he missed shots (quite a few) that he had made the previous week. Doubt anyone could have stopped him in Richmond. Southport used several defenders on him plus some zone Scruggs is a good defender and will play a bunch as a Freshman....................

Newkirk hasn't played a single game at IU for Crean so how do you really know how good he will be?

well he is ranked number 35 in the country. Which usually is a good indicator of them being successful. Also you don't know if Newkirk will be very good either. If he is the same player he was at Pitt then he will be a role player

I am not arguing that he will not be successfull next year, but I am arguing that I do not think that he is an elite recruit. There are five players ranked ahead of him at his position, so it is hard to call him elite for me.

I am one who thinks that the system constricted Newkirk's success at Pittsburgh. What can Scruggs do that Newkirk can't?

Last edited:
I am not arguing that he will not be successfull at the next year, but I am arguing that I do not think that he is an elite recruit. There are five players ranked ahead of him at his position, so it is hard to call him elite for me.

I am one who thinks that the system constricted Newkirk's success at Pittsburgh. What can Scruggs do that Newkirk can't?
Bigger will be stronger, large wing span just physically more gifted. How many players were ranked ahead of Newkirk ????

I am not arguing that he will not be successfull at the next year, but I am arguing that I do not think that he is an elite recruit. There are five players ranked ahead of him at his position, so it is hard to call him elite for me.

Well if number 35 player in the country isn't elite then our recruiting has gone to crap because we are not landing many top 50 players.

Bigger will be stronger, large wing span just physically more gifted. How many players were ranked ahead of Newkirk ????

I doubt that Scruggs will be much stronger than fifth year Newkirk. He looks huge in the pics that I have seen this summer. Scruggs is not much more athletic than Newkirk as well. Newkirk seems to have a more explosive first step than Scruggs from what I have seen.

I never said Newkirk was elite but some say Scruggs is.

I doubt that Scruggs will be much stronger than fifth year Newkirk. He looks huge in the pics that I have seen this summer. Scruggs is not much more athletic than Newkirk as well. Newkirk seems to have a more explosive first step than Scruggs from what I have seen.

I never said Newkirk was elite but some say Scruggs is.
Is Deron Davis an elite pick up?

Is Deron Davis an elite pick up?

I do not see how he would be considered elite pick up, but he is really nice pick up on the same level of Scruggs if he does chose to play at IU. Nobody here is saying De'ron is a lock to start, but he will find his way in the line up significantly. Scruggs is a nice player, but I do not even think he is even being talked about being an one and done player. I am not saying that you have to be an one and done player, but they should be some kind of discussion about it. I think that Blackmon JR would be considered more of an elite recruit than Paul Scruggs. JMHO

I do not see how he would be considered elite pick up, but he is really nice pick up on the same level of Scruggs if he does chose to play at IU. Nobody here is saying De'ron is a lock to start, but he will find his way in the line up significantly. Scruggs is a nice player, but I do not even think he is even being talked about being an one and done player. I am not saying that you have to be an one and done player, but they should be some kind of discussion about it. I think that Blackmon JR would be considered more of an elite recruit than Paul Scruggs. JMHO
So basically we are getting zero elite talent lately then. Also Scruggs all day long over Jbj. Jbj doesn't have an all around game. I would take RJ over jbj

Basically, I believe you have your elite recruits in a recruiting class and you have the rest of the top hundred where you are splitting hairs comparing them.

Basically, I believe you have your elite recruits in a recruiting class and you have the rest of the top hundred where you are splitting hairs comparing them.
I can see that but we are landing the top 10 level players. So a top 50 commit for us is an elite talent in my opinion.

I can see that but we are landing the top 10 level players. So a top 50 commit for us is an elite talent in my opinion.

If that is true then what others say that Coach Crean cannot recruit elite talent to be successful is complete bunk. But recruiting rankings are completely subjective and should be seen with a grain of salt.

If that is true then what others say that Coach Crean cannot recruit elite talent to be successful is complete bunk. But recruiting rankings are completely subjective and should be seen with a grain of salt.
They are subjective but the teams getting the top talent are typically in the national title hunt every year.
As for Crean recruiting...it has taken a step back recently. Just look at the makeup of our current roster. Only 5 of the entire 13 players were 4 or 5 star recruits with only JBJ being the 5 star.

JBJ-5 star

Davis, Cujo, RJ, Bryant-4 stars

Hartman, Newkirk, Morgan, OG, Green, MCSwain-3 stars

2 stars, Gelon, Priller

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT