ADVERTISEMENT

2017 IN class has 6 four and five star players, but only 1 is leaning towards IU

Grotto_22

Junior
Sep 18, 2005
Scruggs is the only one leaning towards IU.

Michigan State has 2.
Maryland has 1.
Kentucky has 1.
Vanderbilt has 1.

I know there is a ways to go, but this is not good so far..

Reactions: JCHoosier
""Leaning To"" candidates are meaningless until there's a LOI
signed, except it does make a difference for naive posters here

IU is recruiting them but my concern is we will move on lesser talented guys and be full before these guys decide.
I would bet that we will have at least 4 openings next year. I think you will have Hartman for sure with Bryant and JBJ as well as OG leave after this year. The article I read yesterday, Crean stated that we better enjoy OG while we can because we will probably not have him much longer. I also could see Priller leave after next year if he can graduate after 3 years.

I would bet that we will have at least 4 openings next year. I think you will have Hartman for sure with Bryant and JBJ as well as OG leave after this year. The article I read yesterday, Crean stated that we better enjoy OG while we can because we will probably not have him much longer. I also could see Priller leave after next year if he can graduate after 3 years.

All the more reason that we should be more involved and higher listed with these guys: PT is available. Unbelievable to me that fans can't see the indication of problems that we aren't getting more of the higher rated guys in our backyard. That's some serious smoke. Bsmitty's concern is valid, the top programs UNC, Duke, KU don't take guys like Gelon, Priller, etc... Heck, UNC get's higher rated walk-ons, but of course those are in-state kids who spurn schollies to places like Davidson and Clemson to follow their dream and play in state, but kids don't think that way anymore and want to spread their wings.

All the more reason that we should be more involved and higher listed with these guys: PT is available. Unbelievable to me that fans can't see the indication of problems that we aren't getting more of the higher rated guys in our backyard. That's some serious smoke. Bsmitty's concern is valid, the top programs UNC, Duke, KU don't take guys like Gelon, Priller, etc... Heck, UNC get's higher rated walk-ons, but of course those are in-state kids who spurn schollies to places like Davidson and Clemson to follow their dream and play in state, but kids don't think that way anymore and want to spread their wings.
What I am saying is that we are still recruiting those players hard and are in good shape with some of them so until they no longer list us at all I am not worried. I would love to have the Indiana kids but we are recruiting some top players throughout the nation like Porter and Bamba both top 5 kids in the 2017 class.

What I am saying is that we are still recruiting those players hard and are in good shape with some of them so until they no longer list us at all I am not worried. I would love to have the Indiana kids but we are recruiting some top players throughout the nation like Porter and Bamba both top 5 kids in the 2017 class.

I think your chances with Porter are at about 0%. His dad just took an assistant coaching job at Washington and he'll go there along with his younger brother.

I think realistic fans realize this. Good post!

I'll worry about this in September. So many of the recruiting services are historically inaccurate I would take anything half of them say with a grain of salt in May.

With that said I'd love to get in state kids but if they don't think IU is the place for them so be it. I'll take kids from NY (Bryant), Missouri (OG, Morgan), Virginia (RoJo),etc...and be happy all day long.

A big issue is the number of offers Crean has extended.

Go to Verbal Commits and look up IU's page. Crean has extended TWENTY EIGHT (28) kids a scholarship offer. Then look at Michigan State, Nova, Duke, Kansas, etc . . . All of them have 10-12 offers out.

Crean just offers everyone and anyone instead of focusing on specific targets. You have to seriously ask exactly what is the recruiting strategy?

I'll worry about this in September. So many of the recruiting services are historically inaccurate I would take anything half of them say with a grain of salt in May.

With that said I'd love to get in state kids but if they don't think IU is the place for them so be it. I'll take kids from NY (Bryant), Missouri (OG, Morgan), Virginia (RoJo),etc...and be happy all day long.

And Priller from Texas, April from Arizona, Hoetzel from Cali, etc etc

Go to Verbal Commits and look up IU's page. Crean has extended TWENTY EIGHT (28) kids a scholarship offer. Then look at Michigan State, Nova, Duke, Kansas, etc . . . All of them have 10-12 offers out.

Crean just offers everyone and anyone instead of focusing on specific targets. You have to seriously ask exactly what is the recruiting strategy?
I agree with that but coach K and Cal know that they can get pretty much whoever they want where some other coaches can't. My worry is if you have 4 openings and only recruit 7 or 8 kids and only get 2 of those kids then it is to late to start recruiting other players.

Missing the point here Scott. We already have 3 star Durham committed. Add a possible unrsnked guard named Platek and u are down to 2 rides left for 17

Have you seriously asked the coaching staff, since you say you "have to"?

Reactions: ORG
I agree with that but coach K and Cal know that they can get pretty much whoever they want where some other coaches can't. My worry is if you have 4 openings and only recruit 7 or 8 kids and only get 2 of those kids then it is to late to start recruiting other players.
Who says you only can recruit 7-8 kids?

There's a big difference between recruiting a kid and OFFERING a kid. When you offer, you let said kid know you are serious about him. That doesn't mean you stop looking at other players and maintain contact with them/their coaches.

If you get on in the grass roots basketball from this state and talk to a lot of the coaches/parents of kids, this is a big issue. The perception is "if you're offering everyone, just how serious are you about me"?

IMO, you target guys you really want, build a relationship with them and THEN offer - and focus on the kids you REALLY want. Crean will see a kid one time and extend a scholly.

Who says you only can recruit 7-8 kids?

There's a big difference between recruiting a kid and OFFERING a kid. When you offer, you let said kid know you are serious about him. That doesn't mean you stop looking at other players and maintain contact with them/their coaches.

If you get on in the grass roots basketball from this state and talk to a lot of the coaches/parents of kids, this is a big issue. The perception is "if you're offering everyone, just how serious are you about me"?

IMO, you target guys you really want, build a relationship with them and THEN offer - and focus on the kids you REALLY want. Crean will see a kid one time and extend a scholly.
Crean recruits like a football coach. Cast wide nets and brings in guys he feels fits his system. This has been hit and miss during his tenure.

Reactions: hoosierstateII
Scruggs is the only one leaning towards IU.

Michigan State has 2.
Maryland has 1.
Kentucky has 1.
Vanderbilt has 1.

I know there is a ways to go, but this is not good so far..
We dont need Indiana guys. In crean I trust!

I want Indiana 4 and 5 stars who WANT Indiana.

hehehehe

they'd WANT Indiana if we had a different coach. Or if he at least had a different style. He turns off local players. He turns off fans. Not sure why that is but it just is.

ADVERTISEMENT