ADVERTISEMENT

2 Dead Navy Seals?

Indyhorn

All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Dec 14, 2004
What a sad and odd story. One seal fell from the boat, and following training, his swim buddy went right in after him. How the heck were they not recovered? Did no one else see they go over the rail and the boat continued on at speed? Bull shark attack? I mean no one I know can tread water like a seal so all I can say is what a loss and what a mystery.

What a sad and odd story. One seal fell from the boat, and following training, his swim buddy went right in after him. How the heck were they not recovered? Did no one else see they go over the rail and the boat continued on at speed? Bull shark attack? I mean no one I know can tread water like a seal so all I can say is what a loss and what a mystery.
It was heavy seas and dark and it’s very hard to find a man overboard, and harder from a boat that is basically at sea level. They could be 10 yards away and not see them or hear them. It’s hard to see a man overboard from the bridge of a ship in daytime and relatively calm seas. Been involved in searches three times. Found two after long searches and not the third after a couple days. Stay time in cold seas aren’t long and it was cold.

Last edited:
It was heavy seas and dark and it’s very hard to find a man overboard, and harder from a boat that is basically at sea level. They could be 10 yards away and not see them or hear them. It’s hard to see a man overboard from the bridge of a ship in daytime and relatively calm seas. Been involved in searches three times. Found two after long searches and not the third after a couple days. Stay time in cold seas aren’t long at it was cold.
I heard water temp was like 80 degrees.

They are wearing heavy gear that makes treading much more difficult. Comms gear in particular is very heavy - I remember carrying batteries the size of shoe boxes on training patrols before I was an officer and you simply can’t imagine the weight.

Mil-Twitter/X is convinced the guys were overloaded to the point where their flotation devices failed them. They further went on to say the SEALs are somewhat out of practice with these visit board seizure activities as Big Navy and coast guard units have been doing this more often lately. Who knows what’s true? Failed flotation devices under heavy weight is my going theory.

They are wearing heavy gear that makes treading much more difficult. Comms gear in particular is very heavy - I remember carrying batteries the size of shoe boxes on training patrols before I was an officer and you simply can’t imagine the weight.

Mil-Twitter/X is convinced the guys were overloaded to the point where their flotation devices failed them. They further went on to say the SEALs are somewhat out of practice with these visit board seizure activities as Big Navy and coast guard units have been doing this more often lately. Who knows what’s true? Failed flotation devices under heavy weight is my going theory.
Probably body armor too. They train to remove all that stuff and they can hold their breath longer than most humans, but the heavy seas probably made removing everything very difficult. Don’t know, but my guess would be they drowned. It’s possible neither even saw the other after entering the water.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT