ADVERTISEMENT

10-0

Your point about the difficulty of winning on the road is definitely valid, but I would feel better about the team if I hadn't seen that they were capable of getting throttled by 20-30 points to a barely-above .500 Wisconsin team.

In year 3, I was hoping the team was beyond those types of performances. If that makes sense.

All that said, college basketball has been really weird this year.

Your point about the difficulty of winning on the road is definitely valid, but I would feel better about the team if I hadn't seen that they were capable of getting throttled by 20-30 points to a barely-above .500 Wisconsin team.

In year 3, I was hoping the team was beyond those types of performances. If that makes sense.

All that said, college basketball has been really weird this year.
What you don’t get is Wisky plays and shoots way better at home and they were hitting every shot. Those things happen get over it

Reactions: ufo33
What you don’t get is Wisky plays and shoots way better at home and they were hitting every shot. Those things happen get over it

I get it now. You're trying to say Wisconsin transforms into an unstoppable juggernaut at home.

And apparently you're implying that IU played great in that game, but they just couldn't overcome the homecourt behemoth that is Wisconsin.

On second thought, I don't buy it. Wisconsin may play and shoot better at home, but that doesn't excuse IU giving up so many points per possession that night (via some nonexistent defense) that it made Wisconsin look like the #1 offense in the country.

(BTW, Wisconsin just lost to Rutgers).

I get it now. You're trying to say Wisconsin transforms into an unstoppable juggernaut at home.

And apparently you're implying that IU played great in that game, but they just couldn't overcome the homecourt behemoth that is Wisconsin.

On second thought, I don't buy it. Wisconsin may play and shoot better at home, but that doesn't excuse IU giving up so many points per possession that night (via some nonexistent defense) that it made Wisconsin look like the #1 offense in the country.

Sure, one could take away from the loss that IU didn't try hard enough. They were soft. It really stunk.

But, look at what happened in the next game. With UConn, IU came back in a similar situation, and won the game. They were tough. They did not break like they did at Wisconsin.

What was the difference from one game to the other? Well, they grew a lot. They learned that they could come back after a really bad run by the other team.

Some time during a new season and at the start of conference play a team goes on the road and faces a lot of adversity that they haven't seen before.

They didn't have the tools in the Wisconsin game to come back. Why? RP their starting guard was out. AD was taken out of action early and the rest of the team was stunned. And Wisconsin hit numerous shots while IU stood around on defense.

So blame someone or something. Archie Miller didn't prepare TJD or Brunk and others for the in conference road trip. Or, Wisconsin took our key PG substitute out of action. Or, Wisconsin bounced back from their losses and was prepared, at home, for IU. Or, where are all of the upperclassmen players that could help the team overcome this with some steadying, seasoned, experienced playing time?

I'm moving on and looking for growth of the team and the next game. I believe that the team grew from the experience. What is important to me is that it, hopefully, doesn't happen again.

One previous IU player stated something like: review the first 15 minutes, learn from it, and move on. Don't dwell on it.

Moving on...

My own take is that IU didn't come out with much fire after the ego inflating but fool's gold start to the season. I am sure that they THOUGHT they were playing hard but as RMK said once, something like "Players always think they are playing hard". I remember him talking about showing players that they were NOT playing hard.

If Wis had shot like they had in the previous games, I don't think the game would have gotten out of hand but we also would have probably lost. The D on the first 3 or 4 threes wasn't all that bad IMO, but they hit them and then it snow balled.

And BTW, Maryland just lost to PSU. Stuff happens on the road in the BT.

I'll argue that the home court advantage in the B1G is the greatest in the country, of any conference. Several B1G teams will beat you by double digits on their home court only to lose by double digits on your home floor. Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Purdue immediately come to mind. Throw IU in that same conversation recently.

Wisconsin shortly thereafter lost to Rutgers. It was a bad loss, let's admit that and move on to Nebraska.

No, that's not what our record "should" be. After 10 games in conference there have been ZERO road wins.

Go ahead, tell me that we looked really bad. I get it. The point that so many don't want to talk about is the FACT that it is really hard to win on the road in this conference.
I can't say we should have beat Wisky. If we would have played bad and won, we might not have put the effort together to beat UConn. We might have sleep walked through that game too and beat badly on national TV. Our record would be the same.

My own take is that IU didn't come out with much fire after the ego inflating but fool's gold start to the season. I am sure that they THOUGHT they were playing hard but as RMK said once, something like "Players always think they are playing hard". I remember him talking about showing players that they were NOT playing hard.

If Wis had shot like they had in the previous games, I don't think the game would have gotten out of hand but we also would have probably lost. The D on the first 3 or 4 threes wasn't all that bad IMO, but they hit them and then it snow balled.

And BTW, Maryland just lost to PSU. Stuff happens on the road in the BT.
Good points

It wasn't losing to Wisconsin that was concerning. The game was realistically over 4 minutes into the game, that's the problem.

I was glad to see a bounce back in effort vs UCONN, especially after getting down 10 early. But that was still a really ugly game.

It looked like two teams destined for the NIT. I still think we can improve and make the NCAA tournament, but there's certainly some work to do.

Getting Phinesee back into game shape will make a big difference.

It wasn't losing to Wisconsin that was concerning. The game was realistically over 4 minutes into the game, that's the problem.

I was glad to see a bounce back in effort vs UCONN, especially after getting down 10 early. But that was still a really ugly game.

It looked like two teams destined for the NIT. I still think we can improve and make the NCAA tournament, but there's certainly some work to do.

Getting Phinesee back into game shape will make a big difference.

That's precisely what I was trying to communicate. I was pretty mild with my concern in the initial post.

I even acknowledged that college basketball has been weird this year, with many top teams losing to lowly opponents.

But @Hoosier_Phenom reacted like I roasted the team and said they were trash. Which wasn't what I did; nor was it my intention.

Hope this is all clarified. I'm not a Pollyanna, and I'm not in the "doomsday" crowd either.

Reactions: Andy06
No, that's not what our record "should" be. After 10 games in conference there have been ZERO road wins.

Go ahead, tell me that we looked really bad. I get it. The point that so many don't want to talk about is the FACT that it is really hard to win on the road in this conference.
Apparently it’s not that easy to beat 4-5 teams at home, either. Unless this Hoosier team gets a lot better they’ll again be under .500 in the B1G this season and won’t make the tourney.

Miller seems like a good guy , but he’s not the right guy. If we want to be middle of pack and make the tournament every 2-3 years , then keep him. But he will NOT take us back to the mountain top.

one bad year in his career. Lol. How about you give him a chance to fail? Or succeed? Since he’s already here and all.
This is year 3...how long do you want to give him? This is not a well coached team, or they just don’t get what he’s trying to teach. Either way, they look like they have no clue what’s going on out there usually. They could pull it together and I hope they do, but history would suggest otherwise. I want them to be good but I’ll be very surprised if they make the tourney..who knows maybe they’ll come together. I just keep telling myself and others that Archie isn’t a bad coach or he wouldn’t of done what he did with Dayton. I like Archie..I’m going to bitch, win or lose, when I watch iu play shitty ball, which is what they usually do. But, I personally won’t be saying fire Archie until after year 4. At least they’re playing like shit and winning instead of losing...something is going to give here soon though imo.

Rutgers just beat #22 Seton Hall, BTW.
Wisconsin lost to Richmond and New Mexico, they also go smoked by NC State "BTW".

They are a bad team and it was a bad loss, especially considering how badly we got beat. We didn't even show up.

This is year 3...how long do you want to give him? This is not a well coached team, or they just don’t get what he’s trying to teach. Either way, they look like they have no clue what’s going on out there usually. They could pull it together and I hope they do, but history would suggest otherwise. I want them to be good but I’ll be very surprised if they make the tourney..who knows maybe they’ll come together. I just keep telling myself and others that Archie isn’t a bad coach or he wouldn’t of done what he did with Dayton. I like Archie..I’m going to bitch, win or lose, when I watch iu play shitty ball, which is what they usually do. But, I personally won’t be saying fire Archie until after year 4. At least they’re playing like shit and winning instead of losing...something is going to give here soon though imo.

More diary entries. Yawn. Okay, keep sharing all your precious feelz but stop getting bent out of shape when more emotionally stable people call you on it. Thanks!

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
More diary entries. Yawn. Okay, keep sharing all your precious feelz but stop getting bent out of shape when more emotionally stable people call you on it. Thanks!
What’s wrong with you? Seriously? He gave an opinion. Not one thing gave rise to an him being either bent out of shape or emotionally unstable. You have to be related to miller. No sane person takes this so personally. It’s an average b-ball team with an average coach. Hopefully things improve, if they don’t it’s not a big deal. There’s a thousand good shows to stream and other sports to watch. Relax.

What’s wrong with you? Seriously? He gave an opinion. Not one thing gave rise to an him being either bent out of shape or emotionally unstable. You have to be related to miller. No sane person takes this so personally. It’s an average b-ball team with an average coach. Hopefully things improve, if they don’t it’s not a big deal. There’s a thousand good shows to stream and other sports to watch. Relax.

And what an opinion it was. Bold. Insightful. Heroic. All those things.

And what an opinion it was. Bold. Insightful. Heroic. All those things.
On March 27, 2017, Archie Miller was named as Indiana University new head coach. This was after he led University of Dayton to four consecutive NCAATs. He was named the Atlantic 10 Coach of the Year in 2017. And while at Dayton, he was considered for a number of coaching awards. They were champs of the A10 in 2016 and 2017. As a point guard, he was among the all-time best for NC St. in free throw percentage, 3-point shot percentage and made.

He has been at IU for just over two seasons and other posters disregard that and his performance. They point out that Indiana lost one game this year on the road. They point out that the performances on court of the young men that Coach Miller has on IU's team are inconsistent and play like young men do...sometimes.

And they slap each other on the back when they say negative things about the Indiana Coach and the Indiana team. Well, they are right. Indiana's coach and team aren't perfect.

Kind of reminds me of a Mark Twain story. He was asked to participate in a debate. He responded quickly that he would be happy to as long as he could be on the side in opposition. The questioner said how could he accept without knowing the subject of the debate. Mark Twain said that it takes no preparation to be in the opposition.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
On March 27, 2017, Archie Miller was named as Indiana University new head coach. This was after he led University of Dayton to four consecutive NCAATs. He was named the Atlantic 10 Coach of the Year in 2017. And while at Dayton, he was considered for a number of coaching awards. They were champs of the A10 in 2016 and 2017. As a point guard, he was among the all-time best for NC St. in free throw percentage, 3-point shot percentage and made.

He has been at IU for just over two seasons and other posters disregard that and his performance. They point out that Indiana lost one game this year on the road. They point out that the performances on court of the young men that Coach Miller has on IU's team are inconsistent and play like young men do...sometimes.

And they slap each other on the back when they say negative things about the Indiana Coach and the Indiana team. Well, they are right. Indiana's coach and team aren't perfect.

Kind of reminds me of a Mark Twain story. He was asked to participate in a debate. He responded quickly that he would be happy to as long as he could be on the side in opposition. The questioner said how could he accept without knowing the subject of the debate. Mark Twain said that it takes no preparation to be in the opposition.

In general I agree with you, there have been few to defend Miller more than I have BUT, IMO, there are areas of concern. The inconsistency that you speak of seems to becoming the rule rather than the exception. Good effort against FSU, lousy against UW, good against UCONN, lousy against Nebraska. Yes, 3-1 is a reality but effort regardless of winning and losing should be almost a constant. Every team lays eggs but as mentioned, those games should be the exception.

Offense and shooting comes and goes but this team needs to hang it's hat on D especially since that is what Archie is know for. Defense CAN BE consistent with effort.

The players have their part to play on getting mentally prepared for each game and even practice but the coach also has to be a motivator. One would think that Archie in the past has done his part in motivation. I am beginning to wonder about his motivation skills considering the teams of the last two years.

I am not off the Archie bandwagon but......

In general I agree with you, there have been few to defend Miller more than I have BUT, IMO, there are areas of concern. The inconsistency that you speak of seems to becoming the rule rather than the exception. Good effort against FSU, lousy against UW, good against UCONN, lousy against Nebraska. Yes, 3-1 is a reality but effort regardless of winning and losing should be almost a constant. Every team lays eggs but as mentioned, those games should be the exception.

Offense and shooting comes and goes but this team needs to hang it's hat on D especially since that is what Archie is know for. Defense CAN BE consistent with effort.

The players have their part to play on getting mentally prepared for each game and even practice but the coach also has to be a motivator. One would think that Archie in the past has done his part in motivation. I am beginning to wonder about his motivation skills considering the teams of the last two years.

I am not off the Archie bandwagon but......
Agree, partially..heh. Archie must be a motivator. But not the only motivator. They need leaders on the team that are also motivators. And the players themselves need to motivate themselves and others on the team.

I have one example that is about Archie Miller and Dayton. One of his teams was not having a great year. He tried lots. Then he sat them down and told them that he couldn't push a rope...basically. It was up to them to decide if they wanted to play hard and smart as a team. He challenged each and every one to talk about what they wanted and how to get it in front of teammates.

They had their best year in Dayton. And one year they only had 8 scholarship players and did well, if my memory is correct.

It sure is easy, though, to ignore that the Indiana team roster was like swiss cheese the last two years. Last year the starting freshman PG was injured during conference play and the heralded freshman golden young adult had a messed up shooting hand. The year before, well, I really doubt that had to do with a new coach and motivation either. Did one really expect to win lots with that team, yeah, sure. Stuff happens, Crean happened. They need experienced leadership on the team, too.

I hate that IU has issues this year. Wish we had seniors that refused to lose. We don't...maybe though, this year will jell into something really good.

And in one or three years, maybe we will be atop the B1G to stay.

Last edited:
H
Agree, partially..heh. Archie must be a motivator. But not the only motivator. They need leaders on the team that are also motivators. And the players themselves need to motivate themselves and others on the team.

I have one example that is about Archie Miller and Dayton. One of his teams was not having a great year. He tried lots. Then he sat them down and told them that he couldn't push a rope...I hate that IU has issues this year. Wish we had seniors that refused to lose. We don't...maybe though, this year will jell into something really good.

IMHO, you hit the nail on the head right here.

Biggest problem (as was the case last year) is a lack of leadership. Archie, of course, needs to be demanding. But as you so noted, he”can’t push a rope”.

We saw in the FSU game what this team can be when they’re engaged, giving absolute effort. In the 3 games since, that’s not been the case - especially defensively. And NO ONE is stepping up and holding themselves and others accountable to giving the required effort.

I’m still on board with this team. But this team - this PROGRAM - needs on-court leadership. Really interested in seeing how they respond against ND.

Really? What did I say here that you didn’t like? What’s wrong with u? I wasn’t rude and didn’t say anything outlandish. Offended by everything - You’re such a little bitch.

Really? What did I say here that you didn’t like? What’s wrong with u? I wasn’t rude and didn’t say anything outlandish. Offended by everything - You’re such a little bitch.
He's a shill, or really unstable, or both.

I have one example that is about Archie Miller and Dayton. One of his teams was not having a great year. He tried lots. Then he sat them down and told them that he couldn't push a rope...basically. It was up to them to decide if they wanted to play hard and smart as a team. He challenged each and every one to talk about what they wanted and how to get it in front of teammates.

They had their best year in Dayton. And one year they only had 8 scholarship players and did well, if my memory is correct.

It sure is easy, though, to ignore that the Indiana team roster was like swiss cheese the last two years. Last year the starting freshman PG was injured during conference play and the heralded freshman golden young adult had a messed up shooting hand. The year before, well, I really doubt that had to do with a new coach and motivation either. Did one really expect to win lots with that team, yeah, sure. Stuff happens, Crean happened. They need experienced leadership on the team, too.

I hate that IU has issues this year. Wish we had seniors that refused to lose. We don't...maybe though, this year will jell into something really good.

A very good response. I guess the real question regarding our discussion on motivation is---- "Is Archie doing all he can in regards to motivation?"

I do not think he uses the bench as a motivator enough. I think he has sat players but in the last game, AD played some HORRIBLE D and I don't believe he was sat down for it.

Archie doesn't have to yell and scream at the player but I would think sitting would be appropriate especially since we appear to be 11 deep on the roster. As our HOF coach said and I will paraphrase --- When the butt hits the bench, that sends a message to the brain.

Maybe Archie is trying to instill confidence by not pulling players as quickly as I would like at times but with a deep roster he has the perfect opportunity to use the bench as a motivator.

As to your last sentence, from your mouth to God's ears.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT