ADVERTISEMENT

“Why Didn’t They Teach Us That?”

No one ever operates in a void.
Sure they did. They created something from nothing. Had they missed their mark, they likely would've been executed. The only way to to repeat what they did is to lose it to someone who usurps the democratic process and sustains power beyond, reducing the Constitution to just ideas.

I think there’s more evidence of people using gods for their purposes than the other way around.
Man created gods. Man created God. They created these things because they lacked understanding and knowledge. They lacked purpose, and they needed a reason to exist.

I think there’s more evidence of people using gods for their purposes than the other way around.
That is true in some cases. But the God of the Bible is far different. I really doubt anybody would make Him up because as He said,
Isaiah 55:8
For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the Lord.
9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

No it doesn't. Not believing in a man made creation doesn't mean I think I'm god. I don't believe in the construct. That's what you need to believe to stay on whatever path you think is just.
You said before that we are a nation of Laws. Were you aware that the Bible actually claims that human governments were installed by God?
Romans 13:
Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.

6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

You said before that we are a nation of Laws. Were you aware that the Bible actually claims that human governments were installed by God?
Romans 13:
Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.

6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.
I truly don't care what the bible says. We had democracy 400-500 years before before we had Christianity. Romans accounts for what had already happened in the world. Awesome.

I don't need saved. I was baptized when I was 13 by a wise man who taught me that I was justified to question religion.

I might need some help getting rid of furniture though.
We all need to be saved. It’s changed bowlmania’s life. A true watershed moment for the board as well.

My moment of grace came late last fall when I put in new hardwood floors. Did all the work myself. It's a beautiful sight.
ha that is indeed an accomplishment. many many years ago i helped a close buddy install them at his house. i don't remember the details but we didn't leave them out or something so they got all warped and crappy and then i installed them over a bunch of cords to his sound system that then was ruined. it was one of many of our failures.

• Haha
Reactions: twenty02
Sure they did. They created something from nothing. Had they missed their mark, they likely would've been executed. The only way to to repeat what they did is to lose it to someone who usurps the democratic process and sustains power beyond, reducing the Constitution to just ideas.
stupid youtube GIF

ha that is indeed an accomplishment. many many years ago i helped a close buddy install them at his house. i don't remember the details but we didn't leave them out or something so they got all warped and crappy and then i installed them over a bunch of cords to his sound system that then was ruined. it was one of many of our failures.
Ahhh, a true dream team moment.

I'm sure a lot has changed, but one thing is to let them sit in room temperature for 48-72 hours. I had a five day from arrival to installation. Still not done. Waiting until the fall to finish as I get new appliances and figure out what I'm doing in my living before installing new trim.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Not sure what to tell you. It's metaphor. When what you've done has been done before, you're operating in a void. I could've called it a NULL set. Pick whatever metaphor you like if it helps you have a discussion
Your choice of metaphor is a bad one. To operate in a void or "null set" means the founders had no history or teaching to draw upon. No prior examples. No historical context forming their decisions or that they completely ignored that context in a way that the founders did not. (Even the Khmer Rouge didn't operate in a void, despite how desperately they pretended that they were).

That's not what was going on in the 1770s. And the founders most certainly did not create the United States from "nothing." To suggest that signifies you are ignorant of the state of affairs in the 1770s, not to mention the couple of hundred years of pre-Revolutionary history in the Americas, the intellectual history of the Enlightenment and Classical periods, the Reformation, English history since at least the English Civil Wars, and the common law that had been developed in England beginning in the 12th Century and transported to the colonies.

This history and experience that the founders drew upon and were influenced by was definitely not a "null set." This is History 101.

Your choice of metaphor is a bad one. To operate in a void or "null set" means the founders had no history or teaching to draw upon. No prior examples. No historical context forming their decisions or that they completely ignored that context in a way that the founders did not. (Even the Khmer Rouge didn't operate in a void, despite how desperately they pretended that they were).

That's not what was going on in the 1770s. And the founders most certainly did not create the United States from "nothing." To suggest that signifies you are ignorant of the state of affairs in the 1770s, not to mention the couple of hundred years of pre-Revolutionary history in the Americas, the intellectual history of the Enlightenment and Classical periods, the Reformation, English history since at least the English Civil Wars, and the common law that had been developed in England beginning in the 12th Century and transported to the colonies.

This history and experience that the founders drew upon and were influenced by was definitely not a "null set" and they didn't create the U.S. out of "nothing." This is History 101.
They did something that hadn't been done here before.

90 years later another group tried it and failed.

They did something that hadn't been done here before.

90 years later another group tried it and failed.
You keep equating "doing something that hadn't been done before" with doing that something in a "void." (And you keep failing to specify what the "something" is that you are referring to.)

Let's try this: before Barry Bonds, no one had ever hit 70 HR in a season before. Do you think he did that "in a void?" That he had no teaching or history or context to pull upon? That that season just sprung up out of "nothing?" Or do you believe that season was a culmination of all that had come before it, reaching far past even his own actions?

Romans 13:
Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.

So the Founding Fathers were rebelling against God?

You keep equating "doing something that hadn't been done before" with doing that something in a "void." (And you keep failing to specify what the "something" is that you are referring to.)

Let's try this: before Barry Bonds, no one had ever hit 70 HR in a season before. Do you think he did that "in a void?" That he had no teaching or history or context to pull upon? That that season just sprung up out of "nothing?" Or do you believe that season was a culmination of all that had come before it, reaching far past even his own actions?
Once he pushed past 70, he was operating in a void.

George Washington and the founding fathers weren't great because they were on the winning side of prior wars. They were great because they won our freedom. That's hard to top. You're picking nits. There is often greatness in doing what hadn't been done before. Greatness if often achieved by pushing boundaries, doing something that hadn't been done before, even if its building on the success of others.

In this case, it wasn't even built on the success of others. The US was the first British colony to win its independence via war. I'd say that's operating in a void.

They said it couldn't be done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT