ADVERTISEMENT

B1G TV rights vs. SEC

Seeing the headline on the front page it made me want to do further research.

The SEC signed a 10 year TV deal that starts in 2024 to earn the league $300 mil annually w/ESPN & ABC. This will obviously end their relationship with CBS.

The B1G currently earns $440mil annually on their deal w/ESPN & Fox that expires here next year. There looks to be a bidding war between CBS and NBC (possibly still ESPN & Fox too) that is likely to fetch $1.1 billion annually for the TV rights to the B1G.

I don't know how much of that revenue spreads out but you would surmise around $75 mil per B1G team and that doesn't count the B1G network revenue. It's amazing to think the B1G has almost 4 times the advertising benefits than that of the SEC. Either way, that type of gap in revenue is surely going to cause some great impact as the years stack up.

This is why I said ND is going to have to jump into a conference or get left behind. They are making $15mil per season from 2016-2025 and although that is likely to increase drastically in their next contract, I can't imagine they are getting near those levels of compensation.

WBB: Four seniors to be honored Saturday - Berger confirmed to return in 22-23

Login to view embedded media
Patberg and Cardano-Hillary exhaust their college eligibility.

Gulbe could take her bonus COVID year next season, but appears to be moving on. The native of Latvia should have a good opportunity to play pro ball in Europe or elsewhere. She has the size to play pro and probably the most complete skill set on the roster. She can shoot from three levels, defend the post, rebound, and handle the ball a bit when she needs to.

Waggoner ends her career a bit early. She's been with the program for three years and had two more years of eligibility had she opted to stay. She's worn a back therapy device when on the bench for most of the season. One has to wonder if injuries may be part of her decision. The Vincennes native was originally committed to Evansville as a scholarship player. She opted to come to IU as a walk-on after receiving the prestigious Lilly Scholarship. She shifted to an athletic scholarship this year. Waggoner has mostly been used as a defensive sub throughout her career. Her play in the game at Purdue and home match vs Minnesota this year was key in locking down both wins.

EDIT - Grace Berger is returning next season.

Friday Recruiting Notebook - Feb 18

Indiana is in the midst of a four game losing streak and turns to a ranked Ohio State team on the road on Monday night.

The Hoosiers currently sit at 16-9 (7-8) and are squarely on the bubble of the NCAA Tournament. Just 2 weeks ago, this Indiana team was comfortably in the tournament but the performance in the last 10+ days has obviously hurt the chances.

Indiana does have chances outside of Ohio State, however. A home-game against Rutgers, the hottest team in the country right now, is the second to last game of the season. Rutgers has won four-straight games, all against ranked opponents. Rutgers currently is just 1.5 games out of first place in the Big Ten. Then, obviously the season finale at Purdue. Indiana beat Purdue on the game-winner from Rob Phinisee in Assembly Hall earlier this season, but it is going to be a tough ask to beat Purdue twice in a season including on its home court to end the season.

Indiana is No. 44 in the NET rankings. Its record against Q1-Q4 are:

Q1: 2-6
Q2: 2-3
Q3: 4-0
Q4: 8-0

As it stands right now, Purdue and Ohio State are quad 1 games and Rutgers is quad 2. But, things can change in a hurry after this weekend.

---

2022 Quaker Valley (Pa) guard Adou Thiero visited Indiana on Tuesday and came away impressed with the program. He is a late bloomer in the class in large part to his growth spurt over the last 2 years.

He stands at 6-foot-6 after growing five inches in the past year and seven inches since his sophomore season.

Indiana has not offered but that is likely to happen. An official visit is probably the next step that will come after the end of the season.

This is one that, if Indiana wants to push would have a good chance in. There is still a lot of moving pieces with this recruitment due to the fact that he is really seeing his recruitment take off in the last few weeks.

Thiero on the visit: "I didn’t know much about Indiana if i’m being honest, after walking around the facilities I understood more things and learned new things about the program. I say the visit exceeded my expectations because the atmosphere was just crazy and I didn’t expect it to be like that. I also sat right next to Cody Zeller which was really cool... I was told about how crazy the atmosphere was, but I wasn’t prepared for it to be as crazy as it was last night."

More on his game and visit:

---

2023 Cathedral (IN) forward Xavier Booker is another name that Indiana continues to pursue. He has had an up-and-down junior season and still needs to show more consistency.

This season he is averaging 12.2 points per game and 6.0 rebounds per game. He is shooting 35 percent on 74 attempts from three this season. That's the most appealing part of his game, at his size someone who can stretch the floor and play on the perimeter.

Booker visited Indiana unofficially a few weeks ago.

@KylerStaley will be getting another look at Booker tonight when Cathedral takes on Ben Davis.

We will try to get some additional video on his play -- it's been tough some of the other games of his though because of his inconsistent playing time. He has sat a few fourth quarters out, even if the game is close.

---

As for 2022 big man Jeremy Foumena, it doesn't look like things are progressing as quick as a guy like Thiero. Indiana is still looking to add to the 2022 class (high school and/or transfer) and Mike Woodson is going to go after the guys he things will help now and in the future.

Foumena is an intriguing forward who could potentially blossom in to something really nice. At this time, however, it looks like the IU staff may play a 'wait and see' approach with Foumena. They are still in contact.

Someone to keep in the back of your mind moving forward.

---

Lawrence North guard CJ Gunn has been terrific this season, with multiple 30+ scoring games.

LN has its senior night tonight against Pike.

With his season after returning from his injury, Gunn has a real shot at Indiana Mr. Basketball this season.

---

Small notes...

IU women's coach Teri Moren was named to the Naismith Coach of the Year Late Season Watch List earlier this week. IU women have been a staple in the top-10 this season and currently sit atop the Big Ten.

More:

Staying on the women's side, All-American forward Mackenzie Holmes returned to the lineup last night for the Hoosiers - the first time playing since Jan 5. She had six points and six rebounds in 24 minutes.

A few recent clips of 2023 commits Jakai Newton and Gabe Cupps:

50 Years of Assembly Hall

I just stumbled upon this and thought I'd share. Some great content in this and I'm looking forward to going through it from one end to the other. It's a nice look at something IU Hoops related that isn't all doom and gloom.

Friday Funnies

A guy goes to the supermarket one day. He’s doing his shopping when he notices an attractive young woman waving at him.

She comes over and says hi to him.

He’s taken aback because he can’t think where he knows her from. So he asks her, “Do you know me?”

She replies, “Yes, I think you’re the father of one of my kids.”

The guy’s mind is whirring now and it travels back to the only time he’s ever been unfaithful to his wife. He asks the woman, “Are you the stripper from the bachelor party that I made love to on the pool table with all my buddies watching while your partner whipped my butt with wet celery???”

She looks into his eyes and calmly replies, “No, I’m your son’s teacher.”

and a chick.....

e3003799f96096aff60906514a232add.gif

1f7e48b8e52bfbc2a65ce3e9ac6c0be7.jpg

Last opponents D efficiency

Our offense has really struggled lately. Interestingly our last few losses have been to teams that have offensive and defensive efficiency numbers that are somewhat balanced. In other words, we are imbalanced: Offense is very poor, D is good. Most I’m sure are aware that a team like Iowa is the opposite. The conference has several teams that have great offensive efficiency but with defensive efficiency rankings around 100.

this may not make anyone feel more confident about our offense, but it’s certainly possible we will have an easier time scoring against teams down the stretch. PU, OSU, MD, and MN are ranked 92nd-139th. It may not translate to wins.

I just don’t hear much discussion about the defensive efficiency rankings of teams like PU and OSU.

NBC making a bid for the Big10 media rights $1.1b

So many reasons this would be fantastic for the B10. Break away from the amateur hour Fox produces for its sports programming.
NBC, Peacock network has built a nice platform for itself. It already has EPL and all NBC tv streaming…
oh, and they’re partnership with ND is a natural fit.
some comments from Osterman around that
Login to view embedded media Would be a nice payday for the schools in thr B10

What even is freedom?

There is presently a great infatuation with the word freedom. If we are unable to safely walk outside in any major American city at 3 am precisely how free are we? The right to free movement is even more basic than the right to free speech. If you are unable to safely transit to the place that you wish to speak you have no freedom. In the current security environment, there must be a balance between safety/"freedom". I am ok with sacrificing certain rights until we are living in a secure environment. I want my public officials to take seriously their oaths to protect the public. If strong arm policing is required, then so be it. If martial law is required, then so be it. Our public officials do not take seriously public safety.
Reactions: DANC

Video: 2023 commit Gabe Cupps 30-point game vs Huntington Prep

Extended game highlights of 2023 point guard commit Gabe Cupps from Centerville's win over Huntington Prep last weekend. Cupps had 30 points and helped cap off an undefeated regular season.

DMC praising ND O-line coach

I saw in an interview with ND media when DMC got the generic "what do you like about this opportunity at Notre Dame?"

He briefly touched on the history of the program before praising the entire offensive staff at Notre Dame. He made a point to single out Harry Hiestand as someone he is really excited to work with. He also talked about how he was excited to be surrounded by a bunch of "experts" at their positions. Now obviously any good coach is going to show excitement about his new job to the local media no matter where he goes, but the fact these statements are pretty telling to me.

Look DMC clearly didn't plan to be a lifer when he came back to IU, he's not a play caller so he wasn't going to take the OC job and he wants to be a HC someday so he needs to continue moving up the ranks as quick as possible if that's his end goal. I won't argue that ND RB coach is a promotion from IU running backs coach in any given year, but his comments are still pretty jarring to say the least, this dude clearly has no faith in the current staff on the offensive side of the ball.

I don't want to be negative, I'll reserve judgment for Bell before he calls his first game, and Heard has had some success in the past so I'll give him a one year mulligan as well but I'm not reserving any judgment for Hiller, you're either a good coach or you aren't and Hiller has proven he is the latter. Everyone knows a position group should steadily improve the longer an assistant coach has been at his position, getting to recruit and develop your own players is usually a boost from inheriting someone else's guys. Hiller has been here a full 5 years, every single offensive linemen on Indiana's roster was someone he recruited. We all have eyes and can see that there was just nothing working right with his O-line. Looking at the O-line since Hiller was hired, there will have been 3 OC's one great, one terrible, and one average. The O-line performance has remained the same since Hiller was hired: awful, you don't have to be an expert in math to understand the constant in this equation. There's just no excuse for this man to be on staff and I'm going to keep saying it until something changes with the Hoosiers O-line.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT