ADVERTISEMENT

Russia-Ukraine war has begun

With Putin's announcement that he'd send troops into Donetsk and Luhansk, and with reports tonight that Russian troops are already rolling through the region, Russia has officially and openly invaded Ukrainian territory. Of course, they were probably already there, anyway, but now there is no room for denial.

This thread is for the foreign policy wonks who got crowded out of the previous thread by the predictable political bullshit. None of that in this thread, please. Let's keep this one focused.

Big Dance

We are done. Can’t believe how bad we play. I wonder if Woody is ready to retire. I would be. If he ever brings this program back to the good old days it will be a miracle. I’m too old to wait and I will never live long enough to see any good improvement. Next year will be worse with no 3 point shooters. I hope they have a tv in Heaven with all the sports channels so when IU wins another championship I can watch it.
  • Haha
Reactions: TomAllenStan

Love the fight

So sick and phucking tired of finding ways to lose games like this though.

It’s systemic. It’s the players. It’s the coaches. It’s the whole damn program at this point.

Why, in the hell, do we all of a sudden have Race Thompson with the ball at the top of the key. We just went on a damn 14-2 run with both guys on the block.

How/why would anyone ever leave Liddell like that and give up a wide open dunk. When your up 2 damn points with under 10 seconds. Why?

Why on earth wouldn’t you call a timeout there?

Why do we ALWAYS get out executed and out coached in these situations?

6-7 years in a row now. 3 coaches. Countless 4 and 5 star kids. Same bullshit.

Despite all that. I do love the fight. We aren’t as talented as OSU, and gritted our way to having the game in our hands.

Horrible Era

This is a sad state of affairs in Bloomington. This will be the sixth consecutive season without a winning record in league play. We can’t hit free throws. We have no one who can create a shot. We seem to have no offensive scheme whatsoever. We struggle to make free throws. We just suck. This is another group of seniors who will not see the lights of March madness. It really is sad and pathetic. I know some say we are playing with house money this season. But honestly, what the hell is there to look forward to? How is next season going to be any different? I know for sure we’ll have the sunshine pumpers saying how we are going to the FF and every player we bring in is going to be the difference maker and missing piece. But it never happens. The bottom ****ing line is we are losers. We are a losing bottom tier team in the big ten.

Official Prediction Thread: IU @ Ohio State...

and what are we drinking tonight?

Here we go again... sitting on 4 straight losses and headed out on the road to play a ranked team. Not feeling good about tonight, not good at all.

It's bad enough we're still without Rob, but now Lander is banged up, too. Not that Lander is a huge part of the rotation, but when you're shorthanded every little bit helps. Now add in the fact that O$U got thumped at home by Iowa over the weekend and I think they're going to take out their frustrations on us. The spread is 6, I think the Buckeyes will double that at least.

IU 58
O$U 76

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for me tonight.

What say you Hoosier fans?

GO HOOSIERS!!

Updated NET Ranking Predictions

We're currently 43rd in the NET ranking. Most prediction sites, have us in the NCAA, as roughly a 10 seed. So I'll use 45 as a sign we'll likely get an at large. Obviously that isn't in any way scientific, may not be accurate even...but as of now...it seems that it means the guys that get paid to crunch all the numbers, think it means it'll get us in.

Tonights game is a Quad 1 game, against 18th rated Ohio State. In all likelihood, we'll lose tonight. I think a loss probably only drops us a couple spots initially. So most likely, after the dust settles from the all the games tonight, we'll be roughly 45 in the NET rankings. If we somehow managed a win...that'd be enormous. And it'll push us up into the 30's.

Next game home versus Maryland (Current NET 95) This is a dangerous game for or NCAA resume. It's likely going to be a Quad 3 game. Quad 3 games are usually against mid major teams. We're 3-0 in Quad 3 games. They should be relatively easy. But Maryland very nearly beat Purdue at Purdue, same at Iowa. They have a couple guards that can get hot. They have athletic bigs. We obviously should beat them though. And losing to them at home, in this situation, would be a sign that Woody has lost the team. Our season is done if we lose this game for all intents and purposes. Assuming we follow up an OSU loss with a win here, however, I don't see the needle moving upwards, at all really. So we'll hover at that 45 range.

Next game at Minnesota (Current NET 101) This game will be a Quad 2, road opportunity. If we keep our NCAA hopes alive with a win over Maryland. This game is another enormous opportunity. Minnesota has been really bad lately. A dialed in Hoosiers team should win. But, its on the road. The Barn isn't the easiest place to play. They do have capable athletes. A loss here doesn't end our NCAA hopes. We'd probably drop into the high 40's, maybe 50 is. A win probably bumps us up into the lower 40s, maybe 40 depending what other teams we've already played do.

Next game home versus Rutgers (Current NET 80) Their NET will likely rise up a bit. But this has the potential to be the most difficult Quad 3 game...ever played. I can't believe their NET is still as high as it is after doing what theyve done recently. It'll either be a low Quad 2, or a Quad 3 game. And it'll be a VERY, VERY difficult game for us to win. The crappy part, is a win in this game won't really boost our NET rating much. I'd say if this ends up being our 3rd straight win, we might crack 40, barely. If we lose this game, after winning the previous two, it'll probably drop us below 45. If this is our 2nd loss or more out of the next 4...it puts us in the unenviable position that the final game at Purdue is a must win.

Last game at Purdue (Current NET 9) Purdue will likely still be top 10 NET at this point. Obviously a win is enormous. Assuming we had won at least 2 games prior to this game a win would punch our ticket to the dance. But realistically, we're not gonna win this game. The good news is it might even raise our NET ranking, even with a loss. A loss here isn't likely going to hurt us, at all. Outside the real possibility that Purdue stomps us by 30+. But assuming a loss here, I think we'll have had to win 3 of the previous 4, to have put ourselves in a position for an at large.

I think the first 4 games are all varying degrees of realistically winnable. Purdue being beyond a long shot. 3 out of 4 in those first 4, I think we get a bid. 2 out of 4, I don't think we get a bid.

Something different - last fight.

The Howard thing brought back memories.

For me my last fight was when I was almost 17 before my senior year of HS. I had many during my childhood. I lived in some rough neighborhoods. In fact I had some fights I don’t really remember, but my sister and cousins remember them and have told me about them because they were fights to protect them. It’s kind of sad that I’ve filed some of them away as just another day at school. However, I remember several and especially my last one. The last one was with the brother of my girlfriend, a guy that was probably five inches taller and 40 pounds heavier. He started it and I ended it. I knocked out several teeth, broke some others, and bent a few in. Had his jaw wired shut for half of our senior year. We actually remained friends after the fight, which always kind of amazed me.

Anyway, I think my experience with fighting was one of the reasons I haven’t had one since. I did wrestling and boxing as a kid and have had hand to hand fight training in the military. Even at 60 I’m pretty sure I’d hurt someone if we fought. I’ve been provoked, of course, and the thought of fighting has crossed my mind, but the idea of doing significant injury and my maturity have always stopped me from actually fighting. What about you guys?

Burying the lede in the UW - UM game

Is it just me, or is the most shocking thing about the UW - UM game not the fight? In Coach Gard's press conference he openly states that the official came to him and told him that if he called a timeout the time to get the ball across half-court would reset to 10 seconds. I know at one level the fight is really the big story (and I just wanted to use the word "lede" in a post), but since when is an official allowed to volunteer coaching tips to a coach????? If Gard had approached the official and asked for a rules clarification, then sure the official should respond what would happen if they called timeout. But Gard clearly states that the official initiated it and volunteered the information to help Wisconsin. Shouldn't this be at least a controversy? Why should that official ever be able to referee a Wisconsin game again??

Gard explains it starting at the 2:00 mark of this video:

Login to view embedded media

Juwan Howard quote

"At the end of the day, first, I want to apologize to my team, which I did in the locker room for my actions. That’s not the way how you handle situations like that under adverse moments. You can’t let your emotions get the best of you. I love the fact of how our guys stepped up and supported their coach, because they know I always want to support them. But I always want to take ownership when I’m wrong and admit when I’m wrong. So that’s not the right way to handle that situation."

No, that's not from yesterday, it's from last year when he tried to go after Mark Turgeon.

https://www.maizenbrew.com/basketba...-what-led-to-big-ten-tournament-confrontation

But if you notice yesterday, no such apologies or contrition from Juwan.

I put my Fab Five hatred aside for a few of those guys (Jalen and Juwan, mainly) a long time ago. But man, this guy has some issues that just keep popping up in a short span of time.
Reactions: midwolfe

+7 @ OSU

This line is way too high. Sharks will be betting on IU tonight. I still think we can go on a run, I am standing my ground. This team is a top 4 talented team in this league. If X And TJD have good games we will be hard to beat. If other guys have good games along side then we are a real threat.

There is still 5 games left, 25% of the season. For once Hoosiers let’s get on a run at the end of the season. Tonight can start that trend. Show the mental toughness and shut up the bitches. All aboard!!!!
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT