ADVERTISEMENT

You are Scott Dolson…

Rags to Roses

All-American
Aug 9, 2002
Atlanta, GA
…and with the new TV contract your budget is going up. Assume you HAVE to get better in football (for the purpose of this exercise, you can’t be a football weak sister in the future if you want to stay in the B1G or maintain a full rev share). What do you spend your money on to improve the football program?

Reactions: vesuvius13
…and with the new TV contract your budget is going up. Assume you HAVE to get better in football (for the purpose of this exercise, you can’t be a football weak sister in the future if you want to stay in the B1G or maintain a full rev share). What do you spend your money on to improve the football program?
Simple, spend the money on NIL, if you don't know how to do
it without getting your tail in a crack consult anybody in the
SEC.

Reactions: Radio Zero
Oh this is going to be fun.

1. Go over CTA's head and buy out Hiller's contract, then give him a significantly larger budget to go and find a replacement. Idk if money is the reason he's still on staff, but it's the only logical one I can't blame CTA for. Clearly they aren't swimming in buyout dollars just based on the Sheridan contract buyout, but if you take that off the table then there's absolutely no reason for Hiller to stay, and Allen has 5 million reasons per year to deal with the AD stepping in and relieving Hiller of his services.

2. Make sure any player facilities that are have not been renovated in the last 5 years are redone, to my knowledge they have recently renovated the locker rooms, but I never hear kids rave about Indiana unless we are their only P5 offer, so clearly we could improve. You have to stay competitive with at least the middle of the B1G and be nicer than all of the remaining Big 12+Pac 12 schools in order to land recruits over them.

3. In the world of NIL, find a way to get CTA some top 200 recruits, whether that means pulling a Texas A&M or not, he needs talent for us to know if he can really make it long term as a HC. Not buying the entire class, we will still not even be in the top 25 richest football programs in CFB even with the new B1G media deal, but if there's some wide receiver or edge rusher that CTA really thinks is worth it, and money is the only thing standing in the way, I'd be more than okay with him "buying" one or two kids per class.

4.Renovate the press box and suites at MS to try and entice big $ donors to actually care about Indiana football. Clearly our donors have the money and just don't care about football, if we give them a better football experience maybe that will change.

5. CTA is bought out after this year if he doesn't win at least 3 games(expectation should be higher than 3 wins going forward, but the 2021 and 2022 classes need time to develop, and they were the best classes Indiana has ever landed so he deserves a little bit more leniency until those recruits see the field).

6(if needed). Spend big on a new HC in the event that step number 5 comes true.

Longer term, I would love to see MS hold at least 65,000, so we have an intimidating atmosphere. But we need WAY more demand than we have currently for a stadium renovation like that to even be a possibility. Demand will only come from being more competitive for a good 8-10 years, so this is more like a dream than something I think they should actually do, but still worth noting.

Simple, spend the money on NIL, if you don't know how to do
it without getting your tail in a crack consult anybody in the
SEC.
It doesn’t work that way but NIL would need to be substantially increased to be sure. That will be on us as alumni.

Scott can increase Coach salary budgets and tweak the facilities. They are in pretty good shape as it is.
Most importantly they need to pump up the OOC schedule to better prepare for the schedule.

Reactions: vesuvius13
He has to make getting much better in football the top priority. High level coaching, improved, state of the art facilities, a top NIL program. Nothing else is enough.

Oh this is going to be fun.

1. Go over CTA's head and buy out Hiller's contract, then give him a significantly larger budget to go and find a replacement. Idk if money is the reason he's still on staff, but it's the only logical one I can't blame CTA for. Clearly they aren't swimming in buyout dollars just based on the Sheridan contract buyout, but if you take that off the table then there's absolutely no reason for Hiller to stay, and Allen has 5 million reasons per year to deal with the AD stepping in and relieving Hiller of his services.

2. Make sure any player facilities that are have not been renovated in the last 5 years are redone, to my knowledge they have recently renovated the locker rooms, but I never hear kids rave about Indiana unless we are their only P5 offer, so clearly we could improve. You have to stay competitive with at least the middle of the B1G and be nicer than all of the remaining Big 12+Pac 12 schools in order to land recruits over them.

3. In the world of NIL, find a way to get CTA some top 200 recruits, whether that means pulling a Texas A&M or not, he needs talent for us to know if he can really make it long term as a HC. Not buying the entire class, we will still not even be in the top 25 richest football programs in CFB even with the new B1G media deal, but if there's some wide receiver or edge rusher that CTA really thinks is worth it, and money is the only thing standing in the way, I'd be more than okay with him "buying" one or two kids per class.

4.Renovate the press box and suites at MS to try and entice big $ donors to actually care about Indiana football. Clearly our donors have the money and just don't care about football, if we give them a better football experience maybe that will change.

5. CTA is bought out after this year if he doesn't win at least 3 games(expectation should be higher than 3 wins going forward, but the 2021 and 2022 classes need time to develop, and they were the best classes Indiana has ever landed so he deserves a little bit more leniency until those recruits see the field).

6(if needed). Spend big on a new HC in the event that step number 5 comes true.

Longer term, I would love to see MS hold at least 65,000, so we have an intimidating atmosphere. But we need WAY more demand than we have currently for a stadium renovation like that to even be a possibility. Demand will only come from being more competitive for a good 8-10 years, so this is more like a dream than something I think they should actually do, but still worth noting.
In my opinion #4 the renovation of the press box and adding suites to the west stands needs to be the #1 priority from AD. As soon as the new TV deal is signed and we know the funds will be coming AD needs to get that project underway.

In my opinion #4 the renovation of the press box and adding suites to the west stands needs to be the #1 priority from AD. As soon as the new TV deal is signed and we know the funds will be coming AD needs to get that project underway.
A new press box with more suites and suites on the west side are great for we fans but don’t have much to do with winning. That comes with coaching, practice and training facilities and we fans filling up the H4G coffers. Everyone here should have donated by now and continue to do so.

Needing more capacity would be a great problem to have, but I doubt that's in the cards. Let's just make the product on the field so good and the fan experience so great that we consistently sell out and are able to charge accordingly.

IU needs to improve the fan experience in the stadium - improve restroom availability, improve concessions IE bring in food trucks with specialty foods, WIFI if not already available, get Hoosier Hundred to put on shows like OSU so fans stay in their seats, anything to bring in top players to IU, any other good ideas that people in the know have.

Didn't Cuban once say he'd build IU a new arena if they ever left the NCAA? Ha We're not that far away from that, so who's going to bring that up to him?

Needing more capacity would be a great problem to have, but I doubt that's in the cards. Let's just make the product on the field so good and the fan experience so great that we consistently sell out and are able to charge accordingly.
That's what I mean. Eight more years of the last two seasons and I think we would potentially have enough demand for it, but until then all we should be worrying about is improving the product on the field.

That's what I mean. Eight more years of the last two seasons and I think we would potentially have enough demand for it, but until then all we should be worrying about is improving the product on the field.
It all starts with a better product on the field and won’t start until then. There are more people on site than the stadium will hold so it is all about the wins

As Scott Dolson, I ask for a big severance package and turn it over to someone who is more capable at understanding the new landscape because it’s too daunting for me to navigate it. The guy is in over his head. Throw a boatload at a football guy who has been there and done that and watch both football and basketball take off.

Seems like, at least when Crean was here, that the basketball team had a bigger recruiting budget than the football team. First thing I would do is to make damn sure that the football recruiting budget was everything CTA could dream of.
I am with you Walt, the AD needs to ask coach Allen for his dream things for IU to improve bringing in even better athletes and do it, more recruiting coaches, more money to recruit across the country, whatever it takes to improve the roster.

Seems like, at least when Crean was here, that the basketball team had a bigger recruiting budget than the football team. First thing I would do is to make damn sure that the football recruiting budget was everything CTA could dream of.
That situation would be inconceivable, unbelievable and totally impractical for the vast majority of P5 Athletic Directors. That it has ever existed at IU shows how poorly our leadership has historically been, with a couple of notable exceptions.

Last edited:
Good analogy, we will need to get similar enthusiam for FB NIL as we have for MBB. Scott's short track record is excellent (e.g. Miller/Woodson, NIL consutants, etc)...IU alumni are generally high-stroke so we have the potential to get it done.

Double the recruiting budget and increase staff payroll as you spoint out.

Good analogy, we will need to get similar enthusiam for FB NIL as we have for MBB. Scott's short track record is excellent (e.g. Miller/Woodson, NIL consutants, etc)...IU alumni are generally high-stroke so we have the potential to get it done.

Double the recruiting budget and increase staff payroll as you spoint out.
I would decouple the football and basketball programs (including women's b-ball) into their own areas. They would not share weight rooms with the other sports. Any facilities improvements I would do would be related to things the fans really don't see. The football program would get their own facility that is similar to what Cook Hall is for the basketball team. You have to show (edit to add) football recruits that they are at least as important and not an afterthought.

I am with you Walt, the AD needs to ask coach Allen for his dream things for IU to improve bringing in even better athletes and do it, more recruiting coaches, more money to recruit across the country, whatever it takes to improve the roster.
Yup and then hold TA accountable for a consistent positive trajectory. Give leaders what they want and need and then hold them accountable.

Fred Glass is an invaluable resource right now. Few people around collegiate athletics are as well-conected in athletics, politics and law...among the best fundraisers anywhere. Built the best NFL stadium in the country and then brought a Super Bowl to a frozen cornfield.

I would decouple the football and basketball programs (including women's b-ball) into their own areas. They would not share weight rooms with the other sports. Any facilities improvements I would do would be related to things the fans really don't see. The football program would get their own facility that is similar to what Cook Hall is for the basketball team. You have to show recruits that they are at least as important and not an afterthought.
I don't disagree with that, although the training facilities we have are amazing. The "shared" concept is used against us in recruiting despite being practically meaningless.

I don't disagree with that, although the training facilities we have are amazing. The "shared" concept is used against us in recruiting despite being practically meaningless.
Yep. Looking into the far future the basketball facilities at Cook and Assembly, football facilities at Memorial (hopefully upgrade again or replace) and whatever replaces Mellencamp, and then a third facility/complex that is a catch all for the other sports probably anchored around soccer and baseball.

Soccer doesn't bring in the money but it is the sport we actually have excelled in the most lately. I would try and make sure that stayed the case too (and I think you could do that without killing the budget down the road a little).

Yep. Looking into the far future the basketball facilities at Cook and Assembly, football facilities at Memorial (hopefully upgrade again or replace) and whatever replaces Mellencamp, and then a third facility/complex that is a catch all for the other sports probably anchored around soccer and baseball.

Soccer doesn't bring in the money but it is the sport we actually have excelled in the most lately. I would try and make sure that stayed the case too (and I think you could do that without killing the budget down the road a little).
A football only facility is imperative. Any school truly committed to excellence already has this. Shared facilities are a clear sign of only a modest commit. Look around at our competition in both the Big Ten and nationally and that fact is abundantly clear. It’s all about leadership.

Agreed. And the trend throughout sports is smaller venues. ADs (and pro team owners) are competing with 80" TVs in fans' homes, so it's all about giving reasons to buy tickets. Technological advancements, suites, lounges, expanded general admission areas (I prefer standing and being able to move around) with bars and better food options are now the focus, not cramming more people into tight seating areas.

And I know you know this, but Memorial Stadium can be plenty intimidating - - and loud - - when it's full. The 2007 bucket game (The Austin Starr FG) was one of the most electric (and one of the loudest) environments I've ever experienced in a stadium, and that was before Memorial Stadium was completely closed off.

And I know you know this, but Memorial Stadium can be plenty intimidating - - and loud - - when it's full. The 2007 bucket game (The Austin Starr FG) was one of the most electric (and one of the loudest) environments I've ever experienced in a stadium, and that was before Memorial Stadium was completely closed off.

I've yet to be able to attend a game where the crowd was a factor since the enclosures, but can only imagine the impact that would have today.

Agreed. And the trend throughout sports is smaller venues. ADs (and pro team owners) are competing with 80" TVs in fans' homes, so it's all about giving reasons to buy tickets. Technological advancements, suites, lounges, expanded general admission areas (I prefer standing and being able to move around) with bars and better food options are now the focus, not cramming more people into tight seating areas.

The Michigan coach [ it was Bo I believe] famously complained about the noise at Memorial stadium during the game with Harbaugh refusing to call the cadence.

The Michigan coach [ it was Bo I believe] famously complained about the noise at Memorial stadium during the game with Harbaugh refusing to call the cadence.
I found this on the 1987 UM-IU game. Michigan's QB was Demetrius Brown, but maybe it happened another time when Harbaugh was QB. According to Fischer:

"We had 51,000-plus fans in the stands this day. Our crowd was so loud, that every time Brown called signals, our crowd roared up. He had to step away. The official never made a loud-speaker announcement. He just stood back there waiting for the crowd to quiet. Our crowd didn't shut up.

Bo Schembechler, after this game, criticized our crowd for being too loud. He was rankled because they got beat. He criticized our crowd for being too loud in a 50,000-seat stadium and he has had a 104,000 stadium in Ann Arbor."

I found this on the 1987 UM-IU game. Michigan's QB was Demetrius Brown, but maybe it happened another time when Harbaugh was QB. According to Fischer:

"We had 51,000-plus fans in the stands this day. Our crowd was so loud, that every time Brown called signals, our crowd roared up. He had to step away. The official never made a loud-speaker announcement. He just stood back there waiting for the crowd to quiet. Our crowd didn't shut up.

Bo Schembechler, after this game, criticized our crowd for being too loud. He was rankled because they got beat. He criticized our crowd for being too loud in a 50,000-seat stadium and he has had a 104,000 stadium in Ann Arbor."

If I remember correctly, I watched that on TV while listening to Fischer, and Don was going absolutely nuts at the refs for allowing the MI quarterback to step back and not get called for delay of game.

Last edited:
As Scott Dolson, I ask for a big severance package and turn it over to someone who is more capable at understanding the new landscape because it’s too daunting for me to navigate it. The guy is in over his head. Throw a boatload at a football guy who has been there and done that and watch both football and basketball take off.
Based on?

Stadium needs new lights, more concourse renovations, Mellencamp needs new turf, football isn’t getting a separate building because everything is already in the damn stadium, so I would build a complex for the Olympic sports. Press box/suites/west side renovation is obviously a big one.

I do want to add one thing: iufb has had two of the best years in program history within the last 3 years. Ignore knobs like BRCB who constantly whines and moans about how terrible things are. No one ever thought we’d have an enclosed stadium or a top 10 football team, and yet, it happened. Let the new contract play out and see what happens.

Stadium needs new lights, more concourse renovations, Mellencamp needs new turf, football isn’t getting a separate building because everything is already in the damn stadium, so I would build a complex for the Olympic sports. Press box/suites/west side renovation is obviously a big one.

I do want to add one thing: iufb has had two of the best years in program history within the last 3 years. Ignore knobs like BRCB who constantly whines and moans about how terrible things are. No one ever thought we’d have an enclosed stadium or a top 10 football team, and yet, it happened. Let the new contract play out and see what happens.
Things are great….if you think like a small time operation. Dream bigger.

Thanks for the correction on the QB as my memory is wrong at times.

Open ended stadium…and it was raining.

You are free to leave while coach Allen is at IU instead of spouting this garbage.
I knew that statement wouldn’t go over well. And I’m not really an advocate for seeing Coach Allen go away, but if our available budget is going to increase dramatically then I think we can be more aggressive in terms of coaching hires than what we’ve been in the past. So at the first opportunity, I would take it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT