ADVERTISEMENT

You are Scott Dolson…

I’m not sure SD budget is necessarily going up. That’s (controversially) not how IU does things. Or so I’ve heard at least.

Agreed. And the trend throughout sports is smaller venues. ADs (and pro team owners) are competing with 80" TVs in fans' homes, so it's all about giving reasons to buy tickets. Technological advancements, suites, lounges, expanded general admission areas (I prefer standing and being able to move around) with bars and better food options are now the focus, not cramming more people into tight seating areas.

And I know you know this, but Memorial Stadium can be plenty intimidating - - and loud - - when it's full. The 2007 bucket game (The Austin Starr FG) was one of the most electric (and one of the loudest) environments I've ever experienced in a stadium, and that was before Memorial Stadium was completely closed off.
In 1987 Memorial Stadium was louder than Michigan Stadium, even.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
In 1987 Memorial Stadium was louder than Michigan Stadium, even.
Yeah, their QB had to step back and beg the ref for intervention multiple times...; of course we just got louder...😉🤣.

Loved every second of it ... It was even a sweeter victory after hearing Bo whine about it... 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.

Just shows what type of effect a truly pro-IU crowd can have if they decide to make the effort to support the Team all game long..., thru both thick and thin...

Last edited:
I knew that statement wouldn’t go over well. And I’m not really an advocate for seeing Coach Allen go away, but if our available budget is going to increase dramatically then I think we can be more aggressive in terms of coaching hires than what we’ve been in the past. So at the first opportunity, I would take it
I only question two things with coach Allen with building this coaching staff this year - Hiller/Bell. This season may show both are keepers but they are unknowns so far based on the past.

Reactions: IU Fan 1989
Fire Allen at the first realistic opportunity, as in a .500 record or worse. Then put that money towards a top-notch coaching staff.

idiocy is thinking we can just buy a winning football team when we have a very small home recruiting base.

greater idiocy, is thinking we can outbid everyone else to do that, as if we are the only school getting tv money, or with donors.

excuse my candor, but i've been listening to this sht for 50 yrs, and am a little sick of it.

that said, IU coaches seem to have a lobbying presence here that would put big pharma's in DC to shame.

if we paid the head coach $50 mil yr and every asst coach $20 mil yr, there would still be a couple posts a day that we needed to pay them more.

and the lobbyists still couldn't figure it out why we still weren't winning more.

coaches are important.

Jimmys and Joes, way more important.

I love Indiana football. I don't even watch the other sports. But, Indiana could take all of this football money and reallocate it to beat the hell out of everybody at all the other sports. Something to consider. I mean, if you're going to be mediocre anyway, why not go circa 2013 Houston Astros and take it down to the studs to allow yourself to compete for championships?

I knew that statement wouldn’t go over well. And I’m not really an advocate for seeing Coach Allen go away, but if our available budget is going to increase dramatically then I think we can be more aggressive in terms of coaching hires than what we’ve been in the past. So at the first opportunity, I would take it

If our top 3 qbs don't get hurt last year for most of the year, what does the season look like?

At the beginning of last year, Allen had a winning record, at Indiana no less. Let that sink in. One season where basically everything went wrong and the entire fan base is ready to turn on him now.

We are coming off the best recruiting class we've ever had and outside of losing Micah on defense, have probably as strong a defense as we've had in a long time. Allen is calling plays again so I imagine we're not going to sit back and play timid like we did last year.

I've got hope that Bell will get the ball to our playmaker like he did at Maryland. I watched some of his games and he used the shot pass kind of like an extention of a run game at times, which was encouraging to see. Our backs should be better. Our receivers should be better. The only question mark for me on offense is once again, offensive line. I think it's safe to say Bedford and Haggard are going to start but who else are going to be along side of them?

We were on a upward trajectory and then last year happened. People think that because we went winless last year that that is now the trend we are on. I think there are valid reasons why we did what we did last year and that CTA will get us back on the right track and back to a bowl game this year and get us going in the right direction again.

Thus years roster, IMO, is much better then last years roster, and it's not close.

If our top 3 qbs don't get hurt last year for most of the year, what does the season look like?

At the beginning of last year, Allen had a winning record, at Indiana no less. Let that sink in. One season where basically everything went wrong and the entire fan base is ready to turn on him now.

We are coming off the best recruiting class we've ever had and outside of losing Micah on defense, have probably as strong a defense as we've had in a long time. Allen is calling plays again so I imagine we're not going to sit back and play timid like we did last year.

I've got hope that Bell will get the ball to our playmaker like he did at Maryland. I watched some of his games and he used the shot pass kind of like an extention of a run game at times, which was encouraging to see. Our backs should be better. Our receivers should be better. The only question mark for me on offense is once again, offensive line. I think it's safe to say Bedford and Haggard are going to start but who else are going to be along side of them?

We were on a upward trajectory and then last year happened. People think that because we went winless last year that that is now the trend we are on. I think there are valid reasons why we did what we did last year and that CTA will get us back on the right track and back to a bowl game this year and get us going in the right direction again.

Thus years roster, IMO, is much better then last years roster, and it's not close.
Again, I'm not in the camp that was wanting to run TA out last year...I likely wouldn't be in that camp this year if we have a losing record, BUT I also don't know that TA is our Barry Alvarez or Hayden Fry or Gary Barnett. So if we have the money that we've never had before to go out and hire a successful, known commodity as a head coach (with an equally suitable budget for assistants), then I'd do it as soon as it was feasibly possible. For example, with the turmoil of expansion, there are some coaches out there that might be doing just fine in their current gig, but their current gig is going to be on the outside looking in when it comes to their conference affiliation.

Kyle Whittingham
Dave Clawson
David Shaw
Dave Aranda

Not saying any of those guys are a good fit or whatever, but we've never had the money to go and hire a successful head coach from a top level/P5 (meaning not mid-major or FCS). We've had to hire internally. Go 'cheap' with the unproven coordinator, etc. This kind of money and changing landscape could change who we can get and how high of a ceiling we might have. I wouldn't sit around and wait if we go 5-7 or less this year or next. I'd take the opportunity and make a move.

Reactions: bang63

I admire your enthusiasm, but we have major question marks just about everywhere, with the exception of the defensive backfield and place kicker, and an injury at either spot could be very difficult to overcome. Every other position group is full of question marks, and there is every reason to be skeptical of the “should be better” position groups you mentioned. We also have five new position coaches, including two new coordinators. Lastly, our schedule is a bear.

Like I said, I love your enthusiasm, but quite a few people went into last season with completely unrealistic expectations, including Coach Allen, who loved the roster, the coaches, and our level of preparation. We then proceeded to fall off a cliff. Four or five wins this year, with all of this, would be a major step in the right direction.

Go Hoosiers.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Again, I'm not in the camp that was wanting to run TA out last year...I likely wouldn't be in that camp this year if we have a losing record, BUT I also don't know that TA is our Barry Alvarez or Hayden Fry or Gary Barnett. So if we have the money that we've never had before to go out and hire a successful, known commodity as a head coach (with an equally suitable budget for assistants), then I'd do it as soon as it was feasibly possible. For example, with the turmoil of expansion, there are some coaches out there that might be doing just fine in their current gig, but their current gig is going to be on the outside looking in when it comes to their conference affiliation.

Kyle Whittingham
Dave Clawson
David Shaw
Dave Aranda

Not saying any of those guys are a good fit or whatever, but we've never had the money to go and hire a successful head coach from a top level/P5 (meaning not mid-major or FCS). We've had to hire internally. Go 'cheap' with the unproven coordinator, etc. This kind of money and changing landscape could change who we can get and how high of a ceiling we might have. I wouldn't sit around and wait if we go 5-7 or less this year or next. I'd take the opportunity and make a move.

I don't see a scenario baring another 2-10 season where Allen is let go for another couple years with his buyout.

We're not gonna get a coach to come here the caliber you are naming if we fire Allen if we don't show that we will back the staff we have. We haven't really invested in winning football in how long? We need a new indoor practice facility in a really bad way. Every other school has a football only weight room, why don't we?

Little things like that are things that coaches can point to recruits that show that we are serious about football here, yet our administration doesn't feel like we need to do. Why would a big time coach like Kyle Whittingham come here when he's got a established thing going at Utah and from what I've read, Utah could be on the move to the Big 12?

Until Dolson and company show they are willing to invest in the program, I don't see us pulling in a true big name coach like your wanting us to. We may have money to spend, but it may be money spent on someone not deserving of it just because we have it.

I don't see a scenario baring another 2-10 season where Allen is let go for another couple years with his buyout.

We're not gonna get a coach to come here the caliber you are naming if we fire Allen if we don't show that we will back the staff we have. We haven't really invested in winning football in how long? We need a new indoor practice facility in a really bad way. Every other school has a football only weight room, why don't we?

Little things like that are things that coaches can point to recruits that show that we are serious about football here, yet our administration doesn't feel like we need to do. Why would a big time coach like Kyle Whittingham come here when he's got a established thing going at Utah and from what I've read, Utah could be on the move to the Big 12?

Until Dolson and company show they are willing to invest in the program, I don't see us pulling in a true big name coach like your wanting us to. We may have money to spend, but it may be money spent on someone not deserving of it just because we have it.
We’ve never invested in winning football, at least relative to what our closest competitors have done. Ever. We have exactly the program we’ve demanded. No less, no more.

Go Hoosiers (how’s that, Smokey?).

A few things...

we haven't invested in football in the last 10+ years???

you'd rather coach in the Big XII than the Big Ten?

we have the largest weight room in the country (or top handful still) and why does it matter if it's not football only? Football has first priority.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
In my opinion #4 the renovation of the press box and adding suites to the west stands needs to be the #1 priority from AD. As soon as the new TV deal is signed and we know the funds will be coming AD needs to get that project underway.

Agree. The stadium would look badass with a longer, newer, sleeker press box and suites.

Agree. The stadium would look badass with a longer, newer, sleeker press box and suites.
Make changes along with the press box to make the stands more user friendly for fans. Give fans a reason to come to the game besides just the team. For hot afternoons misters would be nice for fans on the side of the sun beating down on them.

I admire your enthusiasm, but we have major question marks just about everywhere, with the exception of the defensive backfield and place kicker, and an injury at either spot could be very difficult to overcome. Every other position group is full of question marks, and there is every reason to be skeptical of the “should be better” position groups you mentioned. We also have five new position coaches, including two new coordinators. Lastly, our schedule is a bear.

Like I said, I love your enthusiasm, but quite a few people went into last season with completely unrealistic expectations, including Coach Allen, who loved the roster, the coaches, and our level of preparation. We then proceeded to fall off a cliff. Four or five wins this year, with all of this, would be a major step in the right direction.

Go Hoosiers.

Coach
A few things...

we haven't invested in football in the last 10+ years???

you'd rather coach in the Big XII than the Big Ten?

we have the largest weight room in the country (or top handful still) and why does it matter if it's not football only? Football has first priority.

A coach would rather coach where they have the backing of the administration to win. Remember back to when we got Crean as coach. How many coaches told us no? What number was Crean, and basketball is our number one sport. You think we're gonna pull a big time football coach with no backing from the administration for football just because we have some money now? We're all of a sudden not gonna be paying Saban money just because we have it. So yes, I think coaches would skip over us to coach in the big 12 at a established program like Utah if we got rid of Allen wothout showing a investment in the program.

Having the largest weight room in the nation is for show. Our football program has to share it with the other programs, whether it's good or bad. Other programs don't have to do that. That shows that other programs are committed to football where we think that football is on the same footing as every other program whether it's true or not. It's the picture that is being painted to people. Clemson doesn't share. Georgia doesn't share. Bama doesn't share. Michigan doesn't share, but our players do. It's all optics, and shows that the other schools are fully committed and we are lagging behind.

Coach

A coach would rather coach where they have the backing of the administration to win. Remember back to when we got Crean as coach. How many coaches told us no? What number was Crean, and basketball is our number one sport. You think we're gonna pull a big time football coach with no backing from the administration for football just because we have some money now? We're all of a sudden not gonna be paying Saban money just because we have it. So yes, I think coaches would skip over us to coach in the big 12 at a established program like Utah if we got rid of Allen wothout showing a investment in the program.

Having the largest weight room in the nation is for show. Our football program has to share it with the other programs, whether it's good or bad. Other programs don't have to do that. That shows that other programs are committed to football where we think that football is on the same footing as every other program whether it's true or not. It's the picture that is being painted to people. Clemson doesn't share. Georgia doesn't share. Bama doesn't share. Michigan doesn't share, but our players do. It's all optics, and shows that the other schools are fully committed and we are lagging behind.
Forget about Michigan and Clemson and Georgia and Alabama. Illinois and Purdue don’t share. We have always believed we could do less and still achieve at a high level, even though that’s never worked. We need to do more than everyone else, not less or even the same.

Go Hoosiers.

Coach

THis is hilarious that you're comparing the hiring of Crean and the situation with our basketball program at the time to if we were to hire a new football coach in the next 12-24 months. That's about all the time that's worth taking to address.

So having the largest weight room is for show.....but then you jump to it being optics (synonym for 'show') at the end and that that is important.

Oh....and you're wrong, too.
The Bill Battle Athletic Performance Center, formerly known as the Alabama Strength and Conditioning Complex, was first opened in 2013, and named on January 20, 2021. It serves all 17 of Alabama teams and features a state-of-the-art weight room and strength and conditioning offices as well as the Crimson Tide's performance nutrition center to fuel Alabama student-athletes.
https://rolltide.com/sports/2016/9/...0-square-foot weight,feet on the second floor.

Forget about Michigan and Clemson and Georgia and Alabama. Illinois and Purdue don’t share. We have always believed we could do less and still achieve at a high level, even though that’s never worked. We need to do more than everyone else, not less or even the same.

Go Hoosiers.

Thus the reason why I don't think throwing money at a name coach will work here just because we will all of a sudden have more of it.

If we don't invest in the program, we will continue to spin our tires and never gain ground.

THis is hilarious that you're comparing the hiring of Crean and the situation with our basketball program at the time to if we were to hire a new football coach in the next 12-24 months. That's about all the time that's worth taking to address.

So having the largest weight room is for show.....but then you jump to it being optics (synonym for 'show') at the end and that that is important.

Oh....and you're wrong, too.
The Bill Battle Athletic Performance Center, formerly known as the Alabama Strength and Conditioning Complex, was first opened in 2013, and named on January 20, 2021. It serves all 17 of Alabama teams and features a state-of-the-art weight room and strength and conditioning offices as well as the Crimson Tide's performance nutrition center to fuel Alabama student-athletes.
https://rolltide.com/sports/2016/9/16/strength-and-conditioning-complex.aspx?id=3321#:~:text=University of Alabama Athletics,-Main Header&text=The 37,000-square-foot weight,feet on the second floor.

My bad on Bama. They can overcome a weight room with I don't know, all their championships.

If you honestly think we can attract a big name coach without putting money into the program, good for you. There aren't gonna be many of you though. I think Dolson gets it though, so this whole conversation is really just a hypothetical. We want the same thing. We're truly both in the same camp. We both want Allen to succeed. I'm a realist. If he doesn't, he needs to go. I just hope that if he does, the administration has shown that they are willing to invest on the program by then. If not, it could be rough, IMO.

My bad on Bama. They can overcome a weight room with I don't know, all their championships.

If you honestly think we can attract a big name coach without putting money into the program, good for you. There aren't gonna be many of you though. I think Dolson gets it though, so this whole conversation is really just a hypothetical. We want the same thing. We're truly both in the same camp. We both want Allen to succeed. I'm a realist. If he doesn't, he needs to go. I just hope that if he does, the administration has shown that they are willing to invest on the program by then. If not, it could be rough, IMO.
If you don't think we've invested in football.....then no, I don't think we're in the same camp.

Having the largest weight room in the nation is for show. Our football program has to share it with the other programs, whether it's good or bad. Other programs don't have to do that. That shows that other programs are committed to football where we think that football is on the same footing as every other program whether it's true or not. It's the picture that is being painted to people.

This whole "football only weight room" narrative has been flogged to death here for years, and people act like it's a huge difference maker. Is it really? I mean seriously, would that really be a strike against us? It's state of the art and football has priority; what difference does it make that other teams use it when football players don't? Are the recruits and their handlers really that shallow? Hell, if I was a football player I might appreciate seeing a volleyball player or four working out next to me.

How about Clemson, or Michigan or Florida or LSU or USC or OSU or nearly all of the perennial top 25? Football-only facilities are the norm with the elite schools.
Moffitt said the original weight room configuration in the operations building provided enough space for the football squad, but his staff quickly recognized the need for additional space to accommodate more of the Tigers’ athletic teams.

LSU shares

Oops. Ours is bigger, newer and they share too.

Wisconsin
We‘re historically one of the worst programs in D1 history, and you’re arguing for why it’s okay to do less yet expect more. We aren’t any of those schools where winning is the norm. We’re the school where losing has been the norm for decades, yet you think we can do less than almost everyone else and still compete with them. It makes no sense. Check Iowa. Check Illinois, Check Purdue. Check what Chris McIntosh is starting to get his arms around at UW.

Moffitt said the original weight room configuration in the operations building provided enough space for the football squad, but his staff quickly recognized the need for additional space to accommodate more of the Tigers’ athletic teams.

LSU shares
LSU has been a power for decades. That’s not us. Again, you’re arguing that we can do less and achieve more. There’s no logic to it. We need to do more everywhere. We have the program we’ve demanded for decades.

LSU has been a power for decades. That’s not us. Again, you’re arguing that we can do less and achieve more. There’s no logic to it. We need to do more everywhere. We have the program we’ve demanded for decades.
I’m not arguing that. I’m telling you we’re far from the only school that shares its weight room among multiple sports.

hell, you mentioned LSU yourself. You’re just spouting apparently.

Notre Dame

…and with the new TV contract your budget is going up. Assume you HAVE to get better in football (for the purpose of this exercise, you can’t be a football weak sister in the future if you want to stay in the B1G or maintain a full rev share). What do you spend your money on to improve the football program?
if I'm Scott Dolson I understand the addition of USC and UCLA helps the conference collectively but also makes it harder for IU individually in football AND that the same thing that essentially just happened to Oregon State, WSU, Ariz et al. could eventually happen to IU.

That is, in another decade or so when another contract negotiation comes up with the "new, improved" B1G 10, it's entirely possible that the football-successful members might conclude that football-unsuccessful schools in the conference are (in economic terms) "free riders" who aren't contributing to the overall quality of the B1G's football product and thus are potentially preventing the conference from securing an even more lucrative TV contract from Fox, ESPN, Turner, Amazon, etc. than the conference could otherwise get. IMO people who think the B1G "would never kick a charter member like IU out" are delusional given how much money will be at stake for Michigan, OSU, PSU, Wisconsin, and so forth.

At the risk of sounding hyperbolic, I suspect IU is, as of the past several days, at an athletic crossroads. Either Dolson (or his successor) will figure out a way to finally, at long last, field a football program that is sustainably competitive at a level (think Iowa) that makes its football revenue "B1G worthy" in caliber, or IU will eventually be disinvited from the B1G 10. You can hang another 5 banners in Assembly Hall, but no amount of basketball success will prevent that from happening.

if I'm Scott Dolson I understand the addition of USC and UCLA helps the conference collectively but also makes it harder for IU individually in football AND that the same thing that essentially just happened to Oregon State, WSU, Ariz et al. could eventually happen to IU.

That is, in another decade or so when another contract negotiation comes up with the "new, improved" B1G 10, it's entirely possible that the football-successful members might conclude that football-unsuccessful schools in the conference are (in economic terms) "free riders" who aren't contributing to the overall quality of the B1G's football product and thus are potentially preventing the conference from securing an even more lucrative TV contract from Fox, ESPN, Turner, Amazon, etc. than the conference could otherwise get. IMO people who think the B1G "would never kick a charter member like IU out" are delusional given how much money will be at stake for Michigan, OSU, PSU, Wisconsin, and so forth.

At the risk of sounding hyperbolic, I suspect IU is, as of the past several days, at an athletic crossroads. Either Dolson (or his successor) will figure out a way to finally, at long last, field a football program that is sustainably competitive at a level (think Iowa) that makes its football revenue "B1G worthy" in caliber, or IU will eventually be disinvited from the B1G 10. You can hang another 5 banners in Assembly Hall, but no amount of basketball success will prevent that from happening.
We’re not a charter member are we?

I don’t think they’ll kick anyone out, but some of the biggest boys might leave and join others to form a different organization

I don’t think they’ll kick anyone out, but some of the biggest boys might leave and join others to form a different organization
not technically charter, but soon after---and have contributed something like 20 natl champs in 5 different sports to the conference's overall athletic record. But very little "positive" contribution to the conference in terms of football.

"leaving" versus "disinviting" is basically a distinction without a difference--WSU, OreSU, Az, ASU, Utah and Colorado haven't been "disinvited" but I imagine they're kind of feeling today like they have been.

Read a article about this topic that I found interesting

I’m not arguing that. I’m telling you we’re far from the only school that shares its weight room among multiple sports.

hell, you mentioned LSU yourself. You’re just spouting apparently.

Notre Dame
Most big time schools have their own football only facilities. You seem to think doing less will get us more. Never understood that mentality.

Serious question; does Dolson know football AND is he a football fan?? The guy just screams bball man and that's not what people on this board want to see.

Making Allen pay off Sheridan's contract was ridiculous. I'd like to see a football AD hired sooner than later.

Most big time schools have their own football only facilities. You seem to think doing less will get us more. Never understood that mentality.
Earlier it was all. Now it's most. Then caveats about being decades long powers (which is true of MOST of the top 25 anyway). I'm just waiting for you to settle on a final answer.

But all of that aside....football sharing a weight room with some other sports has literally no impact on our performance. It's not as if we have some shit weight room in the bowels of the east stands like we did for decades. we've invested in the facility, the stuff in it, the nutrition, the staff. Literally everything and we did so long before many others had and we've continued to invest. It may not be the biggest or the best, but it's certainly one that no one is going to be ashamed to show off.

Serious question; does Dolson know football AND is he a football fan?? The guy just screams bball man and that's not what people on this board want to see.

Making Allen pay off Sheridan's contract was ridiculous. I'd like to see a football AD hired sooner than later.
My god do you ever stop with the same old garbage?

in the era of #metoo and Title IX, sorta think it might be safer to have separate facilities but whatever

for all I know, the powers-that-be may regard a new indoor practice facility as more urgent than a new weight-room arrangement

or they may regard neither as urgent, which IMO would be.....regrettable

Earlier it was all. Now it's most. Then caveats about being decades long powers (which is true of MOST of the top 25 anyway). I'm just waiting for you to settle on a final answer.

But all of that aside....football sharing a weight room with some other sports has literally no impact on our performance. It's not as if we have some shit weight room in the bowels of the east stands like we did for decades. we've invested in the facility, the stuff in it, the nutrition, the staff. Literally everything and we did so long before many others had and we've continued to invest. It may not be the biggest or the best, but it's certainly one that no one is going to be ashamed to show off.
But it matters in recruiting, especially for the kinds of players that will help us build a long term, successful program. You seem to think we can do less than the successful programs and still achieve at their levels. That’s never been the case, though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT