ADVERTISEMENT

Who applies?

We have had 6 coaches since 1997. One of them is an assistant at OSU. The rest of them are no longer coaching. This program has hardly been a springboard for coaching careers. We’re going to have to pay big money because it will likely be their last coaching job - the very definition of career suicide.
Corso found another job. Cameron found an NFL job. Dinardo retired. Lynch found another job.

They're no longer coaching because they're retirement age.

Our coaches have found other jobs - don't act like they didn't. They may not be P5, but they do find other jobs, and Corso became one of the great commentators of the game.

Both those guys would appear to me to be solid hires based purely on their records...

The problem with any D2 coaches and their staffs would be recruiting connections...

One of the things few of our fan base realize is that in spite of last years debacle and this years sputtering start we're still doing well recruiting wise and have expanded our recruiting base to consistently include Texas and have now expanded into California, which is pretty darn impressive for any non-top twenty outfit...

That's one of the major reasons I'd hope we can find some way to retain the bulk of our staff even if there is a coaching change at the top...

The Very Best Case Scenario would be to find some way to convince Tom Allen to stay on as D.C./LB's Coach thus retaining his recruiting contacts and his Defensive Expertise...

Starting from scratch simply wipes out a year or more of recruiting and loses some connections forever... Never a good thing for a struggling program..., especially this one...
I think, if Tom was honest with himself, he'd be much happier - and more effective - as a DC.

Would he do it for $1 million a year, say guaranteed for 5 years, plus a $5 million buyout? Doubtful, but maybe.

It would definitely be uncharted waters. In that case, I think it would take a Wommack or Deboer coming back as HC to make it happen.

Dolson needs to get creative.

No more people from the state of Indiana! Coaches from this state don’t do shit in sports here. Get as far away from Indiana people as possible. Avoid this state like the plague. I don’t know why people have such a nostalgia for this state. It stinks for talent in the coaching ranks. Go find a state that actuall knows something about football.
I know we don't like to admit it, but John Wooden was kinda good.

So was Branch McCracken.

So was Brad Stevens.

I think, if Tom was honest with himself, he'd be much happier - and more effective - as a DC.

Would he do it for $1 million a year, say guaranteed for 5 years, plus a $5 million buyout? Doubtful, but maybe.

It would definitely be uncharted waters. In that case, I think it would take a Wommack or Deboer coming back as HC to make it happen.

Deboer is never coming back he's already a level past us. Wommack might but I think he likes it down south...

A number of teams changed to the 4-2-5 defense like IU after they saw how effective it was for spread offenses.

No Allen didn't it was due to Wilson not following the rules and he screwed up on offense a number of times.
I think that the notion here is that Allen didn’t like Wilson’s oversight of the program with the player complaints. Now, whether this was constructed as an attempt to leverage the situation, maybe not but it created a situation that Glass had to choose: him or me..

Allen likely just didn’t want to continue to work under Wilson and was fully prepared to leave and then the unexpected happened. The only way he was going to stay was sliding into the HC role.

A number of teams changed to the 4-2-5 defense like IU after they saw how effective it was for spread offenses.
They did, but I wonder if other OC's are figuring it out now, based on how we're playing this year?

They did, but I wonder if other OC's are figuring it out now, based on how we're playing this year?
It’s different from team to team though. If we could generate a pass rush with our 4 DL it would look a lot different. Watching OSU/Penn St last week, Klatt kept talking about how on 3rd and long how much Penn st struggled because of the confusion and that extra time was all OSU needed to get pressure on Clifford and either sack him or create a turnover.

Reactions: midwolfe and DANC
It’s different from team to team though. If we could generate a pass rush with our 4 DL it would look a lot different. Watching OSU/Penn St last week, Klatt kept talking about how on 3rd and long how much Penn st struggled because of the confusion and that extra time was all OSU needed to get pressure on Clifford and either sack him or create a turnover.
Oh, I agree. Our Defense worked much better when we could generate a pass rush.

Reactions: midwolfe
It is because of how fast the offense gets off the field and defense has to play so many players including a number of freshman. Other OC's aren't figuring it out as much as our offense is screwing the defense and tiring our guys down.

It is because of how fast the offense gets off the field and defense has to play so many players including a number of freshman. Other OC's aren't figuring it out as much as our offense is screwing the defense and tiring our guys down.
Watch our defense closely today.
You will see that it isn’t just being on the field too much . The secondary has no coverage skills or communication within the unit. I expect a total defensive meltdown today largely because of the guy leading it.

When/If it happens, it has to be an offensive guy, who knows something about D right?? After the the IU O has totally unraveled in recent years, I just can’t see it being anything but.

That said, above I mentioned Dan Mullen (probably wouldn’t take it) and Joe Morehead (who probably would take it). Any of you think UGA OC, Todd Monken is up for the challenge?? How ‘bout Deland? Anyone think he’d come
Back a 3rd time?? All seemingly could not be worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUgradman
When/If it happens, it has to be an offensive guy, who knows something about D right?? After the the IU O has totally unraveled in recent years, I just can’t see it being anything but.

That said, above I mentioned Dan Mullen (probably wouldn’t take it) and Joe Morehead (who probably would take it). Any of you think UGA OC, Todd Monken is up for the challenge?? How ‘bout Deland? Anyone think he’d come
Back a 3rd time?? All seemingly could not be worse.
I mentioned Mullen a couple of weeks ago as one of the few “re-treads” I could sorta get interested in and I don’t doubt that he wants to get back into coaching.

For the right price I even think he could be interested in the IU gig if it was the only P5 job open at the time.

But even if CTA’s buyout were $2.55 Mil instead of $25.5, I doubt the Admin would be willing to pay what it might cost to get someone like a Dan Mullen or a Bill O’Brien interested.

Reactions: kmathum and 4IUSox2
Watch our defense closely today.
You will see that it isn’t just being on the field too much . The secondary has no coverage skills or communication within the unit. I expect a total defensive meltdown today largely because of the guy leading it.
So much confusion on Defense yesterday. That's just coaching.

It's not because they were on the field too long - they just didn't know how to line up!

Assume we fire our head coach after this season.

Name the highest level, bestest coach guy you think actually contacts IU and says “I want the job.”

Not the guy you WANT to have - the guy you think applies.

Or the DESCRIPTION of the guy.

Power 5 Coordinator?
Power 5 position coach?
Group of 5 HC or Coordinator? Position coach?
Mid major?
NFL staff?
Former HC now on sidelines?
Younger guy on the way up?
Preacher, sinner, saint?

I’d speculate HC, Group of 5, and our fan base howls.
Jim Mora? He’s now got lowly UConn to .500. He’s got an ego and the B10 would be a step up

Reactions: midwolfe
I think we should hire the color analyst from ABC who called our game. He out coached our entire staff in real time. I don't know his name, but I was impressed.

Reactions: midwolfe and 76-1
I think we should hire the color analyst from ABC who called our game. He out coached our entire staff in real time. I don't know his name, but I was impressed.
That was the former UConn QB who played for the Colts for awhile... Orvalosky (I think)... He is good...

I'm afraid he's both too smart and no where near desperate enough to take the job...

His current gig doesn't come with the certainty of ulcers, sleep deprivation, and public ridicule...

Some things just aren't worth the extra cash (unless you're a masochist which may very well be exactly what we're looking for*)...

Last edited:
That was the former UConn QB who played for the Colts for awhile... Orvalosky (I think)... He is good...

I'm afraid he's both too smart and no where near desperate enough to take the job...

His current gig doesn't come with the certainty of ulcers, sleep deprivation, and public ridicule...

Some things just aren't worth the extra cash (unless you're a masochist which may very well be exactly what we're looking for*)...
Looks like I was wrong in a big way...

Congrats Rockport Zebra you may have just found our next HC... If he wants a job with the Colts he's clearly a high level masochist....

Here's what we absolutely have to try and see with no buyouts (I think)

1. Urban Meyer
2. Chris Petersen
3. Jason Garrett
4. Jim Tressel
5. Jimmy Johnson
6. Paul Chryst
7. Top assistant (coordinator) at any SEC school

1. Urban Meyer
2. Chris Petersen
3. Jason Garrett
4. Jim Tressel
5. Jimmy Johnson
6. Paul Chryst
No to: Meyer, Garrett, Tressel, add Deion Sanders to that list along with several others already mentioned.

1. Urban Meyer
2. Chris Petersen
3. Jason Garrett
4. Jim Tressel
5. Jimmy Johnson
6. Paul Chryst
Jimmy Johnson???

has that dude coached since any current high school players were born?

Dan Mullen, Joe Morehead, Jeff Monken.
I think you have to hire a guy with P5 experience. Not sure Dan Mullen takes this job but someone like Paul Chryst might and he’d likely be the best a team like IU could get. Hire Chryst and give him whatever he needs to hire an innovative offensive coordinator.

I’d settle for Bill O’Brien at this point.

Reactions: Crayfish57
I think you have to hire a guy with P5 experience. Not sure Dan Mullen takes this job but someone like Paul Chryst might and he’d likely be the best a team like IU could get. Hire Chryst and give him whatever he needs to hire an innovative offensive coordinator.

I have no doubt that Chryst can coach but I don't know if he can build a program almost from scratch.

Oh HELL no!

Reactions: kmathum
I have no doubt that Chryst can coach but I don't know if he can build a program almost from scratch.
He was a part of a program that was essentially built from scratch for nearly two decades. Not sure he could single handily do it, but he’s been around enough success for long enough to know the necessary requirements for establishing a program.

How could you possibly say no to a coach who has won 2/3 of the games he’s coached in the B10? IU would be lucky for Chryst to even entertain the thought. Would arguably be the most qualified head coach IU had ever hired.
Didn't we beat him when he coached PSU?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT