ADVERTISEMENT

Who applies?

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
Assume we fire our head coach after this season.

Name the highest level, bestest coach guy you think actually contacts IU and says “I want the job.”

Not the guy you WANT to have - the guy you think applies.

Or the DESCRIPTION of the guy.

Power 5 Coordinator?
Power 5 position coach?
Group of 5 HC or Coordinator? Position coach?
Mid major?
NFL staff?
Former HC now on sidelines?
Younger guy on the way up?
Preacher, sinner, saint?

I’d speculate HC, Group of 5, and our fan base howls.

Phone Staring GIF

As far as getting calls from any worthwhile, proven candidates.....

..... I see it pretty much happening like this for the AD.

I don't think he's gonna get fired.

Thats said I would like to give Wright a shot at OC. IDK why he wasn't considered in the first place. Down the road he may be a great fit as HC. Guy has a stellar record overall and went 44-2 at IMG. He's an Indiana guy too the family is legend here. His bio is pretty sick. Coached 22 current or former NFL players.

https://iuhoosiers.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/kevin-wright/3305

Nobody remotely worthwhile is taking this job if they can Allen this early. Nobody.

The vast majority of coaches don't want this job in the best of times, there are already several better jobs going to be available this offseason with others more than likely still to come looking at the tea leaves, and coaches will be looking at Indiana having just fired their most successful coach in decades after only two bad seasons. Indiana hasn't come close to earning it being seen as reasonable for them to do that.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Nick Rolovich, who had success at Hawaii and Washington State, but got fired from WSU due to refusal to be vaxed. Very creative, definitely has something to prove. Who knows, might be interested.

Name the highest level, bestest coach guy you think actually contacts IU and says “I want the job.”

Power 5 Coordinator?
Power 5 position coach?
Mid major?
NFL staff?
Preacher, sinner, saint?

The applicant pool would depend almost entirely on what kind of package Dolson was offering. 5 years @ 4 Mil a year brings up a completely different group than something like 6 years @ $6 Mil a year.

It’s hard enough to imagine a scenario where Dolson could even find the money for the buyout let alone have enough left over to make it worth buying out Allen in the first place. After all, it’s not like we’re talking about pursuing Brad Stevens here.

Nobody remotely worthwhile is taking this job if they can Allen this early. Nobody.

The vast majority of coaches don't want this job in the best of times, there are already several better jobs going to be available this offseason with others more than likely still to come looking at the tea leaves, and coaches will be looking at Indiana having just fired their most successful coach in decades after only two bad seasons. Indiana hasn't come close to earning it being seen as reasonable for them to do that.
Yeah, I mean who would possibly want to make tens of millions of $$$ to live in a great town and be a head football coach in the Big Ten? Sounds like a truly awful job.

This early? Allen's had 2 good seasons of 6. It's not a good record. Those two years were a blip, not a trend.

Yeah, I mean who would possibly want to make tens of millions of $$$ to live in a great town and be a head football coach in the Big Ten? Sounds like a truly awful job.
I would say a successful coach at a program already making thosul coache $$$s. Our pool is a retread who once had a moment in the sun or a sucessful coach at a lower level.

This early? Allen's had 2 good seasons of 6. It's not a good record. Those two years were a blip, not a trend.
Two of his other seasons, the 5-7 years, are still above average for this program, and he's still near the top of the list for IU in both overall and conference winning percentage despite how these two seasons have gone.

Firing him now is not going to be seen as a reasonable move, and is only going to tell prospective coaches, "Hey, even if you've been successful here and proven you can elevate the program and bring in better recruits than anyone else, we'll still keep you on a super short leash and quick-trigger fire you after a short stretch of poor results despite it all. It doesn't that this is clearly one of the worst and most difficult jobs in all of college football and that success has never really been sustained here."

A school where football, and you, will always play second fiddle to basketball for fans and the school.
A school that still has not shown it is willing to seriously compete in its conference in terms of facilities.
A school whose current coach is by far the highest paid it has ever had,
and yet whose salary is still only middle of the pack in the Big Ten.
A school with the most losses in all of FBS football.
A school with no bowl victories in over 30 years as a Power 5 program.
A school in a relatively talent-poor state it shares with two historically more successful P5 programs.

What a wonderful pitch to sell prospective coaches on.

The applicant pool would depend almost entirely on what kind of package Dolson was offering. 5 years @ 4 Mil a year brings up a completely different group than something like 6 years @ $6 Mil a year.

It’s hard enough to imagine a scenario where Dolson could even find the money for the buyout let alone have enough left over to make it worth buying out Allen in the first place. After all, it’s not like we’re talking about pursuing Brad Stevens here.
I'd be interested.

Man you’d be a helluva boss. We are staring down the barrel of 1 B1G win in 2 years. If I’m a potential candidate I’d question how committed the school is to fielding a winner.

Joe Rudolph OC at Va Tech. Played at Wisconsin. Coached there, Went with Paul Chryst as Assistant and OC. Understands OL Play and running the ball effectively. Give Him 2 years and our Offense will at least look as good as Illinois or Minnesota. Won't put up with failing offensive Play.

I don’t understand all the “career suicide” talk. First, based on history, an IU coach who can consistently win 6 or 7 games a year is going to be considered a savior. Second, even if it doesn’t work you are signing a $20 to $30 million contract, which is life changing. There are plenty of proven head coaches who would covet a B10 head coaching job; maybe not the already elite ones (like Fickel), but many others would, and it’s up to IUs AD to make a wise decision.

Last edited:

early??? it's been 6 fukn years

Power 5 Coordinator?
Power 5 position coach?
Mid major?
NFL staff?
Preacher, sinner, saint?

We will put up with another crappy season and maybe two to save money on a settlement with Allen. We need to cut ties with Bell and hire an OC that is creative and will attract athletes.. Allen knows this and will learn from his misplaced loyalty to Hiller.

Allen is gone unless he can make significant improvement next year. A good OC is his only chance beyond 2023.

Reactions: vesuvius13
early??? it's been 6 fukn years
Year six with two average-to-above-average-years for IU, two otherworldly good years, and two poor years.

Any way you view it, it would be seen as pulling the plug early on a coach who’s had great success here, especially when you bring the simple fact that this is IU FOOTBALL we’re talking about into it.

Reactions: vesuvius13

Power 5 Coordinator?
Power 5 position coach?
Mid major?
NFL staff?
Preacher, sinner, saint?

Yes who does apply. Who really wanted Sheridan’s job last year too for that matter?

I don't think he's gonna get fired.

Thats said I would like to give Wright a shot at OC. IDK why he wasn't considered in the first place. Down the road he may be a great fit as HC. Guy has a stellar record overall and went 44-2 at IMG. He's an Indiana guy too the family is legend here. His bio is pretty sick. Coached 22 current or former NFL players.

https://iuhoosiers.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/kevin-wright/3305
Meanwhile Wright was fired at Tulsa Union in a year or two. I could go 44-2 at IMG.

I don’t understand all the “career suicide” talk. First, based on history, an IU coach who can consistently win 6 or 7 games a year is going to be considered a savior. Second, even if it doesn’t work you are signing a $20 to $30 million contract, which is life changing. There are plenty of proven head coaches who would covet a B10 head coaching job; maybe not the already elite ones (like Fickel), but many others would, and it’s up to IUs AD to make a wise decision.
We have had 6 coaches since 1997. One of them is an assistant at OSU. The rest of them are no longer coaching. This program has hardly been a springboard for coaching careers. We’re going to have to pay big money because it will likely be their last coaching job - the very definition of career suicide.

The career suicide talk doesn't apply when you sign a 25 million dollar contract up front. If I made 25 million and got fired, big deal, I'm uber wealthy moving forward.

That idea certainly held water 10 years ago with much smaller salaries in place. The key at Indiana is to have enough money available to attract high end assistants. Look what happened when they hired Kane and Kalen.....

One more thought; Allen will be able to muster a 500k gig somewhere next year if canned here. I'm sure a SEC school would GLADLY pony up 500k for him to coach their LB.

I don't know whether Chris Creighton (of EMU) would bother to apply for any other reason than to be able to say that during his career he had held The two toughest jobs in football And to have also been able to say he'd also Won at both spots..., but if he does apply he's by far the best fit...(in my opinion)...

I see Chris Creighton as an Offensive version of Terry Hoeppner...: Mr. Positive..., always on the attack (Offensively), a Never Quit, Never Surrender type...

This T.R. quote frames Creightons approach to coaching perfectly: "Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are..."

*Exactly who we need...*

Difficult to say who would be interested, but here’s a list of potential candidates:

Chris Creighton - EMU
Paul Chryst - former WI
Brent Vigen - Montana St
Tyson Helton - WKU
Jamey Chadwell - Coastal Carolina

I would add to this list Matt Entz from North Dakota St. and I would move him to the top.

Also look at Bob Surace of Princeton, who has a 65- 45 record while at Princeton, which includes a 2-18 start. Read that last sentence again. The last three seasons have been 10-0; 8-2; 9-1; and they are 6-0 this season.

Neither plays against B1G competition, but they both dominate. Clearly theirs is a successful formula, especially at NDSU.

Last edited:
A school where football, and you, will always play second fiddle to basketball for fans and the school.
A school that still has not shown it is willing to seriously compete in its conference in terms of facilities.
A school whose current coach is by far the highest paid it has ever had,
and yet whose salary is still only middle of the pack in the Big Ten.
A school with the most losses in all of FBS football.
A school with no bowl victories in over 30 years as a Power 5 program.
A school in a relatively talent-poor state it shares with two historically more successful P5 programs.

What a wonderful pitch to sell prospective coaches on.
Succeeding as a head football coach at IU is definitely a challenge but you guys who think nobody would be interested are either about 12 years old or just simply narrow minded or you want to argue for the sake of arguing.

We may not attract a proven big time coach but there are plenty of guys out there who could get the job done. That being said, the thing we really should be discussing is whether or not our AD has the ability to pick a guy that could succeed here. That's the bottom line with any successful organization whether we're talking about a business, a college athletic department or a pro team. Successful organizations are lead by people who know who to hire in order to succeed.

early? let me clue you in. next years gonna be worse.

Last edited:
We have had 6 coaches since 1997. One of them is an assistant at OSU. The rest of them are no longer coaching. This program has hardly been a springboard for coaching careers. We’re going to have to pay big money because it will likely be their last coaching job - the very definition of career suicide.
With the exception of DiNardo the surviving coaches continued coaching.
So of the 5 coaches since 1997 3 continued coaching, 1 passed and 1 stopped coaching.

The career suicide talk doesn't apply when you sign a 25 million dollar contract up front. If I made 25 million and got fired, big deal, I'm uber wealthy moving forward.

That idea certainly held water 10 years ago with much smaller salaries in place. The key at Indiana is to have enough money available to attract high end assistants. Look what happened when they hired Kane and Kalen.....

One more thought; Allen will be able to muster a 500k gig somewhere next year if canned here. I'm sure a SEC school would GLADLY pony up 500k for him to coach their LB.
I'd think he'd do at least as well at Bell. What was Bell - 2 and 24 as a head coach or something? If that doesn't help you line up a coordinator position at a P5 I don't know what will.

Allen would just have to find another Allen to hire him.

Reactions: bang63
I was not aware of Tulsa. He kicked ass at Carmel and recruited too. My point was he's been around alot of talent. Sure img may be an easy gig but you do have to manage all those kids with egos.

The Tulsa Union firing was ALL political... Wright wasn't fired, he resigned after 10 months because it was such a PF.....

The locals boosters, and for the most part the returning assistants, hated him from the start. It was simply a case of an "outsider" who wasn't from a "football" school or state, wasn't part of the previous coaches regime, etc. had taken over and ran things different from how they liked it. ..... Most all of the BOOSTER Club at Union weren't going to accept him unless he went undefeated

He never had a prayer at Union... he knew it and got out before it made him miserable.

Wright was at both Carmel and Noblesville prior to Tulsa and I can tell you for fact Wright ran his program his way, not the way the parents, alums or AD thought it should be done. ....

While his team lost three straight to start the season they ended up winning 7 in a row to end the year.

The Tulsa Union firing was ALL political... Wright wasn't fired, he resigned after 10 months because it was such a PF.....

The locals boosters, and for the most part the returning assistants, hated him from the start. It was simply a case of an "outsider" who wasn't from a "football" school or state, wasn't part of the previous coaches regime, etc. had taken over and ran things different from how they liked it. ..... Most all of the BOOSTER Club at Union weren't going to accept him unless he went undefeated

He never had a prayer at Union... he knew it and got out before it made him miserable.

Wright was at both Carmel and Noblesville prior to Tulsa and I can tell you for fact Wright ran his program his way, not the way the parents, alums or AD thought it should be done.

While his team lost three straight to start the season they ended up winning 7 in a row to end the year.
Thanks for the clarification. And yes I know he pissed some people off while at Carmel, because he does do things his way, but the program has never been the same after he left.

Reactions: jsenleo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT