ADVERTISEMENT

Who applies?

Yeah, I mean who would possibly want to make tens of millions of $$$ to live in a great town and be a head football coach in the Big Ten? Sounds like a truly awful job.
Right. Any other answer is just loser's limp.

if we go 3 and 9 next year are you still going to say he needs more time?
Depends on the circumstances. Crippling injury problems like last year? Maybe.

Simple lack of improvement without significant injuries to mitigate it? No.

With the exception of DiNardo the surviving coaches continued coaching.
So of the 5 coaches since 1997 3 continued coaching, 1 passed and 1 stopped coaching.
Cameron continued coaching, but got fired again and is no longer coaching. The bottom line is, every coach who left here did so because they were fired, not because they were so successful here they were offered better jobs.

Meh. He quit before he got fired. My former brother in law was on his staff. It wasn't a good fit for either side.
Well aware of the entire story too.... knew Wright while at Noblesville....

Point is.... KW was smart enough to see this wasn't gonna work out unless he went 100-0 every season.... He was an "Outsider" and never welcomed.

Reactions: 76-1
Well aware of the entire story too.... knew Wright while at Noblesville....

Point is.... KW was smart enough to see this wasn't gonna work out unless he went 100-0 every season.... He was an "Outsider" and never welcomed.
Yes I agree with that 100%

I would add to this list Matt Entz from North Dakota St. and I would move him to the top.

Also look at Bob Surace of Princeton, who has a 65- 45 record while at Princeton, which includes a 2-18 start. Read that last sentence again. The last three seasons have been 10-0; 8-2; 9-1; and they are 6-0 this season.

Neither plays against B1G competition, but they both dominate. Clearly their is a successful formula, especially at NDSU.
Both those guys would appear to me to be solid hires based purely on their records...

The problem with any D2 coaches and their staffs would be recruiting connections...

One of the things few of our fan base realize is that in spite of last years debacle and this years sputtering start we're still doing well recruiting wise and have expanded our recruiting base to consistently include Texas and have now expanded into California, which is pretty darn impressive for any non-top twenty outfit...

That's one of the major reasons I'd hope we can find some way to retain the bulk of our staff even if there is a coaching change at the top...

The Very Best Case Scenario would be to find some way to convince Tom Allen to stay on as D.C./LB's Coach thus retaining his recruiting contacts and his Defensive Expertise...

Starting from scratch simply wipes out a year or more of recruiting and loses some connections forever... Never a good thing for a struggling program..., especially this one...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Lucy01 and ESalum86
I was being playful.

IMG Florida doesn't give one crap about some 1A coach in Indiana that's beat Clinton Prarie 50 times.

And neither did the people of Tulsa Union... 😁 ..... Okies are as smug about their football as us Hoosiers are about basketball....

I don't know whether Chris Creighton (of EMU) would bother to apply for any other reason than to be able to say that during his career he had held The two toughest jobs in football And to have also been able to say he'd also Won at both spots..., but if he does apply he's by far the best fit...(in my opinion)...

I see Chris Creighton as an Offensive version of Terry Hoeppner...: Mr. Positive..., always on the attack (Offensively), a Never Quit, Never Surrender type...

This T.R. quote frames Creightons approach to coaching perfectly: "Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are..."

*Exactly who we need...*
I've liked Creighton since his results in Crawfordsville. Do believe Allen was part of that.

Reactions: BayernFan and 76-1
Cameron continued coaching, but got fired again and is no longer coaching. The bottom line is, every coach who left here did so because they were fired, not because they were so successful here they were offered better jobs.
...and yes that is the exact thought of my bottom line evaluation of IUFB...

Reactions: MIS01
Two of his other seasons, the 5-7 years, are still above average for this program, and he's still near the top of the list for IU in both overall and conference winning percentage despite how these two seasons have gone.

Firing him now is not going to be seen as a reasonable move, and is only going to tell prospective coaches, "Hey, even if you've been successful here and proven you can elevate the program and bring in better recruits than anyone else, we'll still keep you on a super short leash and quick-trigger fire you after a short stretch of poor results despite it all. It doesn't that this is clearly one of the worst and most difficult jobs in all of college football and that success has never really been sustained here."
5-7 is basically exactly our historical win percentage. It's not above average for IU, it is exactly average. It sucks. Every single power 5 coach understands the college football environment and demands of today. There's not a coach in the business who would be surprised by a coach being fired after winning 1 conference game over two years 6 years into the job. There's not a coach in the business who would think that's an unreasonable decision. It doesn't matter what school or bottom feeder program you're at, firing after that is as predictable as the sun rising. 6 years is anything but a quick trigger. There's not a single phase of the game that looks good because the program is an absolute disaster. The last thing IU needs is to give Allen another year to drive the program further into the ground, making it even harder for the next guy to succeed.

I think before any coaching change is considered, we need to scrap "LEO" in favor of "TNP" (Take No Prisoners). The more godly approach hasn't been effective. I think some boys just need to taste the nasty. It carry's over into their play the next day, those who buy into it. See what happens after a logo change, and then make final judgement on Tommy Allen. He just might be blinded by the light, unable to see what really needs to come undone.

early? let me clue you in. next years gonna be worse.
I worry too, but having a better OL coach and maybe a new OC [that is my hope]. The season will be tough but with IU's two best classes and our new coaches working with players getting more of their coaching in. We don't really know what the season will be like as they could surprise us.

I think before any coaching change is considered, we need to scrap "LEO" in favor of "TNP" (Take No Prisoners). The more godly approach hasn't been effective. I think some boys just need to taste the nasty. It carry's over into their play the next day, those who buy into it. See what happens after a logo change, and then make final judgement on Tommy Allen. He just might be blinded by the light, unable to see what really needs to come undone.
You are blaming the wrong thing and person as he pushes toughness and thinking it doesn't allow toughness shows me you probably haven't been in the military. Marines taught us to love each other without the words and we were very tough due to training. I am not saying coach Allen needs to be kept here just that LEO doesn't mean a lack of toughness.

Your approach could lead to more problems on and off the field with your approach. But it may be close to time to have a new HC coach at IU.

Last edited:
My first call is to Dave Clawson. My second is to Dan Mullen. Both offensive guys who have won big. Unlikely either takes it, but throw everything, but the kitchen sink at them. Third call is to Joe Moorhead at Akron. Another offensive guy. Got a raw deal at Ms St. Was a great OC at Penn St so knows where to find guys who fit his system and this league.

Enough with the rah, rah and get someone who can coach and understands all 3 phases.

Reactions: midwolfe
How about Lou Holtz?.... I'm still cleaning his spit from the inside of my TV's screen.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
I loved Hayden Fox, but he may be a bit long in the tooth for this rebuild. He was a much younger coach when he took over at Minnesota State and accomplished a successful rebuild. His DC, Luther Van Dam, passed a few years ago. And his “young, bright” offensive assistant, switched lines of work to a more entertainment, aquatic lifestyle. He did very well in that switch too.

I don't know whether Chris Creighton (of EMU) would bother to apply for any other reason than to be able to say that during his career he had held The two toughest jobs in football And to have also been able to say he'd also Won at both spots..., but if he does apply he's by far the best fit...(in my opinion)...

I see Chris Creighton as an Offensive version of Terry Hoeppner...: Mr. Positive..., always on the attack (Offensively), a Never Quit, Never Surrender type...

This T.R. quote frames Creightons approach to coaching perfectly: "Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are..."

*Exactly who we need...*
Creighton would be fantastic. However I’ve always sensed that he will eventually coach Purdue.

• Wow
Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Erik Raeburn, who had a better record at Wabash (2008-2015) than Creighton did (2001-2007), would be good. He is the nephew of Larry Kehres (Mt Union) and Wabash went toe to toe with them in 2011, falling 20-8 in the National Quarterfinals. Sent their 2 top QBs to the hospital.

He’s currently turning around Gannon, now 6-2.

His wife is an absolute hoot, too.

Erik Raeburn, who had a better record at Wabash (2008-2015) than Creighton did (2001-2007), would be good. He is the nephew of Larry Kehres (Mt Union) and Wabash went toe to toe with them in 2011, falling 20-8 in the National Quarterfinals. Sent their 2 top QBs to the hospital.

No more people from the state of Indiana! Coaches from this state don’t do shit in sports here. Get as far away from Indiana people as possible. Avoid this state like the plague. I don’t know why people have such a nostalgia for this state. It stinks for talent in the coaching ranks. Go find a state that actuall knows something about football.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and Orbit7958

His wife is an absolute hoot, too.
Something happened at his stop in between, though. Was it Georgia Southern?

Reactions: BayernFan
I, too, believe I can tell the future.

I see 15-0, a national title, and people still calling for Allen's job after all of it.
if we get a bunch of impactful transfers (especially at QB), we might win a few more games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT