ADVERTISEMENT

WaPo Top 10 Dem Presidential Nominees

Really hard to believe that Americans will still vote for any Democrat or Republican. Just reading this thread makes it evident that even the staunchest supporters of these groups are not happy. It's time to move on question their duopoly and blackballing of those who would really support American citizens rather than themselves rather than vote for a person that is the least liked or the lesser criminal. The Democratic and Republican politicians in today's must go. Tony Soprano is a saint compared to these people.

If Trump stays out and the Republicans are almost all Trump sycophants, might that open the door to a more moderate Republican (kind of the reverse of 2016)?

We can dream, right?
Can you stop this charade? DeSantis and Romney are 98% aligned, but I’m guessing you’d claim you’d vote for Romney but not DeSantis because you view him as a big meanie.

You care nothing of substance, only the window dressing.

This election needs a healer, strong on foreign policy. Extremism must be rejected. Law and order needs to return to American cities. Defense and a pro-jobs economy is all that matters. equal OPPORTUNITY over equally-distributed government-selects largesse-for-votes.
So who?

If Trump stays out and the Republicans are almost all Trump sycophants, might that open the door to a more moderate Republican (kind of the reverse of 2016)?

We can dream, right?
Show your cards. Who ya got?

I already voted early, for Dolan, as we’ll be in Georgia and they still won’t let me vote twice . . .

the Dem nominee will be whomever Wall St, (who now owns the national DNC), Comcast/NBC, AT&T, and Warner Bros Discovery, (CNN), decide it will be.

and whomever that is, they'll be right of Nixon and Eisenhower on everything economic, because the corps won't allow otherwise.

we could pretend Wall St, Comcast, AT&T, and Warner Bros/Discovery/CNN won't pick the nominee, but that would be beyond naive, as they've picked the last 2, and there will be no one near as strong as Bernie to even fight them this time. (and they were never going to allow Bernie, and didn't).

nothing has changed, or will change.

it will be 2 financial far right Pubs in the general, one just running under the Dem banner so the corps have their bets hedged.

The more I think about the worthless stay at home Pete and DeSantis the more I realize they are alike. They are both virtue-signalers. Just opposite ends. One's a far left woke virtue-signaler and the other my black friends in fla (Haitians) refer to as DeRacist. Both of these candidates will leave big parts of the population, not dissatisfied, but literally disgusted. And that's after we get past the cadavers who are completely worthless. And to be honest I can't stand either of their faces. Pete looks like a nerdy little rat and DeSantis' face and voice drive me nuts. It's not exactly punchable - just something
I think they both represent an ideal with the power brokers of the parties (trying to not have IGW spin in his grave).

Pete is the Rhodes and Oxford intellectual with a calm demeanor pushing an inclusive ideology who's a very good/polished public speaker.

I think the Dems want to see themselves in that light.

Desantis is the fiery and tempermental ivy league intellectual who doesn't put up with that woke bullshit (or any perceived bullshit) who is also a very good public speaker and confrontational.

I think a lot of republicans can see themselves in him.

Make no doubt, I fully believe his culture war laws are mainly so he can stand on a debate stage and say 'all these other guys talk, but I actually did it'.

Anyway, that's why I'd like to at least see them debate. As a lib, if I had to nominate a guy to represent my interests on a national debate stage.... it's Pete and it's not even close.

Ivanka is liberal and dumb. No thanks.

what-tom-cruise.gif

I think they both represent an ideal with the power brokers of the parties (trying to not have IGW spin in his grave).

Pete is the Rhodes and Oxford intellectual with a calm demeanor pushing an inclusive ideology who's a very good/polished public speaker.

I think the Dems want to see themselves in that light.

Desantis is the fiery and tempermental ivy league intellectual who doesn't put up with that woke bullshit (or any perceived bullshit) who is also a very good public speaker and confrontational.

I think a lot of republicans can see themselves in him.

Make no doubt, I fully believe his culture war laws are mainly so he can stand on a debate stage and say 'all these other guys talk, but I actually did it'.

Anyway, that's why I'd like to at least see them debate. As a lib, if I had to nominate a guy to represent my interests on a national debate stage.... it's Pete and it's not even close.
I agree. One side is always going to be disappointed

Cooper is a blue gov in a red state who cut taxes. I'm sure Danc living there is more familiar but my limited knowledge/impression is of a smart, bipartisan guy who is popular despite being a blue governor in a red state.
I’m shocked Danc isn’t living in a state with legal recreational weed- boy loves ganja and flying with Epstein to the Jersey shore from Manhattan 🤪

Can you stop this charade? DeSantis and Romney are 98% aligned, but I’m guessing you’d claim you’d vote for Romney but not DeSantis because you view him as a big meanie.

You care nothing of substance, only the window dressing.
ROFL

This is a better description of DeSantis. A bit over the top, perhaps, but not too far off.

200.gif

Below are our latest rankings.
Others worth mentioning: Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo, New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy, Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker, Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear, Stacey Abrams, Mitch Landrieu, Rep. Ro Khanna (Calif.)

10. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: The more obvious path for the 32-year-old congresswoman would be to bide her time for the right opportunity to run for Senate. She passed on a primary against Senate Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) this year, but she would have a good shot against Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) in 2024. Or she could go for an even higher office, for which she polled at 6 percent in that YouGov poll. She doesn’t seem to be taking the kind of steps that others on this list are, but she would have a built-in base, and the progressive lane will be significantly more open this time, since Sanders has said he’s very likely out. (Previous ranking: 10)
9. Gavin Newsom: Some California political watchers have noticed the governor seeming to weigh in more often in recent national political debates. “It’s painfully obvious Newsom wants to run for president one day,” SFGate’s Eric Ting wrote this week. Exactly how that would go down is less obvious. Newsom notched a big victory in a much-watched recall vote last year, but how he’d wear on voters outside the Golden State is a big question. Newsom practically exudes “West Coast liberal,” even as he’s probably a bit more moderate than some people realize. (Previous ranking: 7)
8. Cory Booker: The senator from New Jersey was one of the most prominent faces of the Democrats’ effort to confirm Ketanji Brown Jackson to the Supreme Court, delivering some heartfelt lines about the momentousness of the occasion. His 2020 campaign came nowhere close to capitalizing on the promise of his early political career, but Booker is just 52 and could still have another act on the national stage. (Previous ranking: 6)
7. Sherrod Brown: The biggest shock of the early 2020 Democratic primary cycle might have been when the senator from Ohio unexpectedly passed on running. That was in part because he decided he wasn’t as invested in running as other Democrats were, and it’s possible that won’t have changed in 2024. But with Sanders out, there could be more of a space for his populist style of politics. And you can bet that plenty of establishment Democrats would put Brown very high on their list. One big wrinkle: He’s up for reelection in 2024, and he might not be able to fall back on seeking reelection in red-trending Ohio. (Previous ranking: n/a)
6. Roy Cooper: He might be the one leading contender you hear the least about. That’s partially due to his being a governor, but partially just Cooper’s style. If it’s a just-win-baby type of election, and Democrats want a Biden-style candidate (though not Biden himself), the North Carolinian checks lots of boxes. He’s also, like Brown, a repeat winner in a tough state that Democrats would love to put on the map. (Previous ranking: 5)
5. Amy Klobuchar: The senator from Minnesota would seem to benefit from a Biden-free race, just like some of these others would benefit from a Sanders-free race. But how much? Her high-water mark in 2020 was 20 percent in New Hampshire, and she underperformed in Iowa long before Biden really kicked things into gear. (Previous ranking: 4)
4. Elizabeth Warren: Sanders’s camp has suggested Biden will face a progressive challenger in 2024. But exactly who would that wing of the party line up behind? Politico reported recently that top Sanders aides have gotten involved in setting up the field for 2024 — but by pushing for Khanna to run rather than by building up Warren. Sanders and Warren have often been allies in the Senate, but their 2020 presidential campaigns got pretty ugly with one another. The senator from Massachusetts also has a reelection bid in 2024, which she has said she’ll pursue. (Previous ranking: 3)
3. Harris: We’re dropping Harris down a slot this time. Being vice president is certainly a good launchpad, but it’s not at all clear Harris has put it to good use. Her numbers are similar to Biden’s, and she’s done little to change the perceptions that harmed her 2020 campaign, including on her ability to drive a message. There’s also no way she would run against Biden if he does run (while others might have seen wiggle room on that). On the plus side, Biden has committed to her being his running mate again. (Previous ranking: 1)
2. Pete Buttigieg: The transportation secretary moves ahead of Harris, but not with any great conviction on our part. He ran a good campaign in 2020 — we’ll repeat that he was very close to winning the first two contests — and would enter 2024 with more heft as a Cabinet secretary. Mostly, we’d expect a Biden-less race to be one of the most wide-open contests in recent memory. To the extent people don’t want Biden or Harris, he’s next in line just in terms of sheer plausibility. (Previous ranking: 2)
1. Biden: Having said all of the above, things are often darkest for a president in a midterm election year. And Biden has both a pandemic and inflation to contend with. If those factors wane in the coming months, and after the 2022 midterms? The picture might be significantly different. If Republicans win some control of Congress, as appears likely, it could even help Biden politically, because he’ll have something to run against (even apart from Donald Trump). But mostly, we just wonder whether we’ll see him try to become the first-ever octogenarian presidential nominee.
After stressful day at work this is making me laugh hard. If this list isn’t meant as a joke, the Dems have themselves a problem.

After stressful day at work this is making me laugh hard. If this list isn’t meant as a joke, the Dems have themselves a problem.
Shouldn't your stressful work days be over with?

Oh, just thought I'd let you know that little bonus I got for having a shitty job was appreciated. I forgot to thank you when I thanked all the other job creators and makers.

200.gif

Below are our latest rankings.
Others worth mentioning: Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo, New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy, Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker, Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear, Stacey Abrams, Mitch Landrieu, Rep. Ro Khanna (Calif.)

10. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: The more obvious path for the 32-year-old congresswoman would be to bide her time for the right opportunity to run for Senate. She passed on a primary against Senate Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) this year, but she would have a good shot against Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) in 2024. Or she could go for an even higher office, for which she polled at 6 percent in that YouGov poll. She doesn’t seem to be taking the kind of steps that others on this list are, but she would have a built-in base, and the progressive lane will be significantly more open this time, since Sanders has said he’s very likely out. (Previous ranking: 10)
9. Gavin Newsom: Some California political watchers have noticed the governor seeming to weigh in more often in recent national political debates. “It’s painfully obvious Newsom wants to run for president one day,” SFGate’s Eric Ting wrote this week. Exactly how that would go down is less obvious. Newsom notched a big victory in a much-watched recall vote last year, but how he’d wear on voters outside the Golden State is a big question. Newsom practically exudes “West Coast liberal,” even as he’s probably a bit more moderate than some people realize. (Previous ranking: 7)
8. Cory Booker: The senator from New Jersey was one of the most prominent faces of the Democrats’ effort to confirm Ketanji Brown Jackson to the Supreme Court, delivering some heartfelt lines about the momentousness of the occasion. His 2020 campaign came nowhere close to capitalizing on the promise of his early political career, but Booker is just 52 and could still have another act on the national stage. (Previous ranking: 6)
7. Sherrod Brown: The biggest shock of the early 2020 Democratic primary cycle might have been when the senator from Ohio unexpectedly passed on running. That was in part because he decided he wasn’t as invested in running as other Democrats were, and it’s possible that won’t have changed in 2024. But with Sanders out, there could be more of a space for his populist style of politics. And you can bet that plenty of establishment Democrats would put Brown very high on their list. One big wrinkle: He’s up for reelection in 2024, and he might not be able to fall back on seeking reelection in red-trending Ohio. (Previous ranking: n/a)
6. Roy Cooper: He might be the one leading contender you hear the least about. That’s partially due to his being a governor, but partially just Cooper’s style. If it’s a just-win-baby type of election, and Democrats want a Biden-style candidate (though not Biden himself), the North Carolinian checks lots of boxes. He’s also, like Brown, a repeat winner in a tough state that Democrats would love to put on the map. (Previous ranking: 5)
5. Amy Klobuchar: The senator from Minnesota would seem to benefit from a Biden-free race, just like some of these others would benefit from a Sanders-free race. But how much? Her high-water mark in 2020 was 20 percent in New Hampshire, and she underperformed in Iowa long before Biden really kicked things into gear. (Previous ranking: 4)
4. Elizabeth Warren: Sanders’s camp has suggested Biden will face a progressive challenger in 2024. But exactly who would that wing of the party line up behind? Politico reported recently that top Sanders aides have gotten involved in setting up the field for 2024 — but by pushing for Khanna to run rather than by building up Warren. Sanders and Warren have often been allies in the Senate, but their 2020 presidential campaigns got pretty ugly with one another. The senator from Massachusetts also has a reelection bid in 2024, which she has said she’ll pursue. (Previous ranking: 3)
3. Harris: We’re dropping Harris down a slot this time. Being vice president is certainly a good launchpad, but it’s not at all clear Harris has put it to good use. Her numbers are similar to Biden’s, and she’s done little to change the perceptions that harmed her 2020 campaign, including on her ability to drive a message. There’s also no way she would run against Biden if he does run (while others might have seen wiggle room on that). On the plus side, Biden has committed to her being his running mate again. (Previous ranking: 1)
2. Pete Buttigieg: The transportation secretary moves ahead of Harris, but not with any great conviction on our part. He ran a good campaign in 2020 — we’ll repeat that he was very close to winning the first two contests — and would enter 2024 with more heft as a Cabinet secretary. Mostly, we’d expect a Biden-less race to be one of the most wide-open contests in recent memory. To the extent people don’t want Biden or Harris, he’s next in line just in terms of sheer plausibility. (Previous ranking: 2)
1. Biden: Having said all of the above, things are often darkest for a president in a midterm election year. And Biden has both a pandemic and inflation to contend with. If those factors wane in the coming months, and after the 2022 midterms? The picture might be significantly different. If Republicans win some control of Congress, as appears likely, it could even help Biden politically, because he’ll have something to run against (even apart from Donald Trump). But mostly, we just wonder whether we’ll see him try to become the first-ever octogenarian presidential nominee.

I choose Joe!!

At CPAC, it was basically Trump, DeSantis, or nobody - Mike Pompeo (!) tied for third place with "Other" at 2%.

Another year before things get serious. Assuming Trump hasn't been brought down by the J6 committee or one of his legal challenges, it's his nomination if he wants it, of course. If no DJT, then you have to think DeSantis is the frontrunner... but there's plenty of room for others. I'd be shocked if Hawley doesn't join in the fray if Trump is out of it.

Another year before things get serious. Assuming Trump hasn't been brought down by the J6 committee or one of his legal challenges, it's his nomination if he wants it, of course. If no DJT, then you have to think DeSantis is the frontrunner... but there's plenty of room for others. I'd be shocked if Hawley doesn't join in the fray if Trump is out of it.

Don't discount Musk buying the US in a hostile takeover.

How'd we get to this point? I'm not sure what the hell the Pubs are. Half are Trump sycophants and another 45 percent are scared of him. Why can't we have a guy like Larry Hogan as president?

We really are a nation of people wanting free stuff, religious freaks, and uneducated rubes.
You are obviously speaking for yourself.

This election needs a healer, strong on foreign policy. Extremism must be rejected. Law and order needs to return to American cities. Defense and a pro-jobs economy is all that matters. equal OPPORTUNITY over equally-distributed government-selects largesse-for-votes.
You’re describing Nikki Haley when she’s her own person.

I've read she's third and pence is 4th. So an indictment and a stroke or something she's up
Look, I don't mean to be gauche, but she's a strong, independent, dark woman who cucked her innocent white husband. If she ends up a front-runner, it will be an ugly primary for her, and she won't survive. We live in the world we live in, not the one we wish we did.

Shouldn't your stressful work days be over with?

Oh, just thought I'd let you know that little bonus I got for having a shitty job was appreciated. I forgot to thank you when I thanked all the other job creators and makers.
250-300 extensions and 500 property tax returns due by May 15th keep things stressful. Plus the IRS has never been more messed up in the 38 years I’ve practiced. Must be more of the Putin effect.

Hopefully this was my last tax season if things work out.

Not sure what bonus you’re talking about but happy for you.

Well, we know it’s (the Dems list) a joke, but let’s not kid ourselves. The GOP list isn’t exactly stellar. Good people get pushed further and further away from politics.
Agreed. Why would a quality person want in politics? No one’s perfect and media will attempt to destroy the reputation of anyone they disagree with.

Idiots voting won’t for for a serious candidate. Give them a free cell phone and you have their vote.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT