ADVERTISEMENT

I think our assistants are living up to their salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavanagh

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2012
I think Coach Ya might be one of the best AC in terms of recruiting in the country with NIL in place. With his connections and salesman approach, backed by money, wow. This off season has been insanely impressive. Just crazy to think of the off season transactions we made, because that is exactly what happened. Kanaan, Rice, Ballo, Tucker, Hatton, and Goode. I think Goode is the only one that comes to IU without NIL.

I really wanna be a fly on the wall with the conversations that happen. Everything is legal in terms of talking dollars and cents from NIL. You can promise money amounts while recruiting. How far we have come.

Reactions: stollcpa
I think Coach Ya might be one of the best AC in terms of recruiting in the country with NIL in place. With his connections and salesman approach, backed by money, wow. This off season has been insanely impressive. Just crazy to think of the off season transactions we made, because that is exactly what happened. Kanaan, Rice, Ballo, Tucker, Hatton, and Goode. I think Goode is the only one that comes to IU without NIL.

I really wanna be a fly on the wall with the conversations that happen. Everything is legal in terms of talking dollars and cents from NIL. You can promise money amounts while recruiting. How far we have come.
Hatton was offered more money and playing time by Minnesota, you are correct the big names wouldn't have considered IU without NIL, so I really don't see Ya's importance, if we're going to buy a team each year Woodson would be better served getting top notch coaches not recruiters to assist him.

I’d say they’re earning about half their big salaries. Maybe less. Half their job surely includes some level of coaching acumen. I’ve not seen that. And delivering bags of cash is something you could train a monkey to do. So no, the purchases have been impressive, but we haven’t won a game yet. Let’s see what they contribute this winter.

Hatton was offered more money and playing time by Minnesota, you are correct the big names wouldn't have considered IU without NIL, so I really don't see Ya's importance, if we're going to buy a team each year Woodson would be better served getting top notch coaches not recruiters to assist him.
I believe you’re right. Unfortunately, CMW isn’t really interested with input regarding coaching his team. (Although Ya is a clear connection to several of these recruits).

He’s made that pretty clear.

I believe you’re right. Unfortunately, CMW isn’t really interested with input regarding coaching his team. (Although Ya is a clear connection to several of these recruits).

He’s made that pretty clear.
And you know that how? You read it on the internet or are just assuming . Since it's pretty clear I'm sure you can cite an actual source that has access to the team, their meetings and practices and what the assistants think of Coach. Lets see the proof ..

fwiw - I think you're talking out of your ass.. and don't know shit.

And you know that how? You read it on the internet or are just assuming . Since it's pretty clear I'm sure you can cite an actual source that has access to the team, their meetings and practices and what the assistants think of Coach. Lets see the proof ..

fwiw - I think you're talking out of your ass.. and don't know shit.
Thanks for cleaning that up for me. I am forever grateful. 😌

Sort of tells you how the year might go, doesn't it? Its not going to be easy to motivate these guys to play hard. Woodson has his work cut out for them.
Not really. I do think chemistry is a bigger challenge building through the portal, but it has worked at other schools.... and it has failed, like last year (thinking of MM as a portal guy because he was a spring add and had obvious 1 and done aspirations). Many of these guys have aspirations of playing pro ball somewhere so they are all going to be wanting to develop and perform and winning makes that more enjoyable. You put guys into practice and a locker room and most of them are going to want to win.

No argument with your point but Woody needs an X and O guy as well.

Sort of tells you how the year might go, doesn't it? Its not going to be easy to motivate these guys to play hard. Woodson has his work cut out for them.
Woody & staff got Ware, Mgbako & Reneau to play hard. This team has balanced talent and should be easier to coach. Woody & staff appear to be well liked by players and seems to have the ability to develop players ability. The weakness has been the ability to install a system that maximizes the sum of the teams talents.

Last edited:

How do you know LG didn’t get a bag of $$?

Woody should just hire a GM and surround himself with great assistant coaches that can coach!

I agree. Hunter being held over by Coach Woodson said something about his recruiting skills and ability to keep existing players at IU + coaching knowledge. MR, MM, KW, Newton and Cupps early on bought my confidence in Ya. Also will not ignore, forget or discount the influence and help Cal and Hulls are to the 4 main coaching operatives.

The staff did well in the portal and kept key existing players. NIL donations helped a lot, but the staff still had to close and they did. Good work.

Offset to that is last year was bad.

We won’t really know if the staff has the program moving back in the right direction until after next season is over. They have put themselves in position to succeed though.

The staff did well in the portal and kept key existing players. NIL donations helped a lot, but the staff still had to close and they did. Good work.

We won’t really know if the staff has the program moving back in the right direction until after next season is over. They have put themselves in position to succeed though.
Paper champions again. Let’s see if Woody can coach this lineup.

Good, now it's time to start winning something of significance. Side note, it's been a little crazy here in Louisville this morning, some poop hit the fan, crazy.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
I think he's saying that if there wasn't NIL, only Goode would have come, not that Goode isn't getting paid.
I think that Rice, Carlyle, Goode & Hatton
Would likely to have come if NIL didn’t exist. Ballo is also likely because of our success with the development of TJD & Ware

I think that Rice, Carlyle, Goode & Hatton
Would likely to have come if NIL didn’t exist. Ballo is also likely because of our success with the development of TJD & Ware
Ballo is coming for the $$$. He is a playing his 5th year of basketball.

Can you explain how this works. Do the coaches know total available, authorized to allocate it and the NIL people make arrangements with players based what coaches promised?

I’ve been in sales a long time. Closing is pretty easy if you’ve got either the clear-cut best product or the clear-cut best price. I’m pretty confident we are offering the biggest bag to “close” these guys. That’s the easy part. The hard part is yet to come.

I’ve been in sales a long time. Closing is pretty easy if you’ve got either the clear-cut best product or the clear-cut best price. I’m pretty confident we are offering the biggest bag to “close” these guys. That’s the easy part. The hard part is yet to come.
It’s just my opinion, but the quick commits for most of our roster felt like some market clearing offers. It’s not really a criticism — it’s the world of big boy recruiting.

I think the roster looks good, but we will have to see if we got good value for the $ spent and if can the staff mold all this talent into an elite team.

Do you think Woody simply asks the question of a portal dude "what's it gonna take?" and then makes a phone call to the bag men?
I would think that’s how it works at a lot of schools. There are phone recordings proving that’s how Self did it, as an example, before it was legal.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT