ADVERTISEMENT

USC/UCLA B1G?

Cut a deal with Notre Dame and allow them to keep their home games deal with NBC. All their away games *will* be televised playing in the new Big Ten.

Add Pitt - good school, locks up the (I believe) fifth most populous state.

Then poach Stanford and Cal. Two high prestige universities, with varying amounts of success over the years, but are used to competing at the highest level. Essentially puts all of California in the Big Ten and creates opportunities for easier travel for that bloc of teams.

Rename the conference the Big Score.I in
Cut a deal with Notre Dame and allow them to keep their home games deal with NBC. All their away games *will* be televised playing in the new Big Ten.

Add Pitt - good school, locks up the (I believe) fifth most populous state.

Then poach Stanford and Cal. Two high prestige universities, with varying amounts of success over the years, but are used to competing at the highest level. Essentially puts all of California in the Big Ten and creates opportunities for easier travel for that bloc of teams.

Rename the conference the Big Score.
If I am Swarbrick I tell them to pound sand. Why dilute my brand even further by finishing fourth in the conference every year.

Why would a pac-10 team want to play half of their games in the cold Midwest. This is a terrible idea not to mention the long commute.
Ever been to Pullman? Even the PAC12 teams don’t like to go there. Logistically, I can easily see non-revenue / Olympic sports eventually forming their own regional leagues. Track and Field, tennis, golf. The fits aren’t great.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Ding. Sorry folks.

The rampant rumors, speculation and fabricated nonsense that will ensue based upon imagination and need for attention will be hilarious.

I am sure whichever AD spoke out of school is in hiding.

Ever been to Pullman? Even the PAC12 teams don’t like to go there. Logistically, I can easily see non-revenue / Olympic sports eventually forming their own regional leagues. Track and Field, tennis, golf. The fits aren’t great.
No matter the reservations people have about adding schools it will get worked out. Could it be a subset of other sports like swimming, golf, track, tennis setting up schedules that rotate in different years? I would think sports like baseball, tennis, track, soccer, and others would like swings to the west coast.

Schools traveled by RR to play schools on the coast back in the early days of the league so players today can survive the travel.

No matter the reservations people have about adding schools it will get worked out. Could it be a subset of other sports like swimming, golf, track, tennis setting up schedules that rotate in different years? I would think sports like baseball, tennis, track, soccer, and others would like swings to the west coast.

Schools traveled by RR to play schools on the coast back in the early days of the league so players today can survive the travel.
You are right I think, it just serves to further decay the academic aspects of the student athlete experience. I am old school enough to care about that.

Why would a pac-10 team want to play half of their games in the cold Midwest. This is a terrible idea not to mention the long commute.
The new TV deal was rumored to be a Billion and now with the LA market I’m sure it’s way more than that. Each school will make over 100 million a year, just off the network deal alone.

I can't imagine who that will be.
As I was thinking about the travel aspects of this last night, I remembered something the NFL did back in the 50's and early 60's. This was before Minnesota was in the League so Green Bay Detroit and Chicago were the 3 Cold Weather Cities in the League, And they were in the Western Conference with the Rams and 49ers, so they had to play them twice, Home and Home. In order to avoid Cold Weather games in December They would schedule 2 of the cold Weather teams to travel to the West Coast at the same time to play back to back games against the two West Coast Teams.

With the State of travel as it was in those days, instead of traveling back home and then back to the Coast in a few days, the teams stayed in California in the week between and stayed at a small College and used the College training facilities to prepare for the next game

I guarantee these Southern California boys don't want to be going to the Midwest to play football in cold weather. It will be a lot tougher to recruit.

If I am Swarbrick I tell them to pound sand. Why dilute my brand even further by finishing fourth in the conference every year.
Notre Dame's invidual tv contract pays them $15 million/year. B1G schools will be getting close to $100 million. ND can sit on their snobbery and pretentiousness and gaze from afar at what they stupidly gave up. B1G shouldn't accept them even if they wanted in. Screw them.

I agree though that Swarbrick knows that joining the B1G will sentence their program to a PSU/Nebraska fate going from a former national powerhouse to a middle tier team in the conference in football and their basketball team as a perrenial loser. No way they would want in.

The new TV deal was rumored to be a Billion and now with the LA market I’m sure it’s way more than that. Each school will make over 100 million a year, just off the network deal alone.
The Southern California television market, along with the Bay Area and Seattle (potentially) mean the numbers will be off the charts. That’s obviously the only reason to do this. Equal revenue sharing as a practice is going to come under severe pressure at some point though, and that’s not great for universities like ours.

Go Hoosiers.

Notre Dame's invidual tv contract pays them $15 million/year. B1G schools will be getting close to $100 million. ND can sit on their snobbery and pretentiousness and gaze from afar at what they stupidly gave up. B1G shouldn't accept them even if they wanted in. Screw them.

I agree though that Swarbrick knows that joining the B1G will sentence their program to a PSU/Nebraska fate going from a former national powerhouse to a middle tier team in the conference in football and their basketball team as a perrenial loser. No way they would want in.
Did ND sign a Grant of Rights agreement for hoops and other sports when they joined the ACC? If so, they’ll either be bound by it or have to pay the early out if they were to leave.

I guarantee these Southern California boys don't want to be going to the Midwest to play football in cold weather. It will be a lot tougher to recruit.
The Pacific division of the BiG will work fine and likely be comprised of most, if not all, of the existing PAC schools. This is about creating scale in negotiating media rights.

It’s not a matter of players surviving the travel nearly as much as it is whether schools want to travel great distances at considerable expense for non-revenue sports. This is overwhelmingly about football and the revenue at stake with regard to media rights for that sport. Everything else takes a back seat, and some things will take a back seat you can barely see from the front.

I read last night that ND did sign for everything except football
I guarantee you NBC / Universal has sent them a check and told them to fill in whatever amount they’d like. If they don’t, ESPN / Disney will. They’ll be a football powerhouse wherever they go / are, but it’s about more than just that with those guys.

Last edited:
this isn't about a "conference" as we knew it.

it about a negotiating cartel.

that said, look around.

Texas and OU didn't kick the rest of the B12 out of the B12.

USC and UCLA didn't kick the rest out of the PAC.

the same forces at play that led Texas, OU, USC, and UCLA, to leave, are just as much in play now as before those moves, will still be after the next moves, and those moves already happening won't affect said forces still being just as viable and strong just because those moves are already done.

capitalism never sleeps, nor is every content.

do the math.

I’m not sure why this caught everyone by surprise? You could see this coming when the Big Ten and PAC 12 alliance was announced a year ago. Only a matter of time before IU is in a different conference. It’s coming.

Reactions: BayernFan
I’m not sure why this caught everyone by surprise? You could see this coming when the Big Ten and PAC 12 alliance was announced a year ago. Only a matter of time before IU is in a different conference. It’s coming.
IU isn’t leaving the BiG, and they’d never do so voluntarily. Zero chance of that happening. What is far more likely is a new revenue distribution model at some point down the line. But IU would never walk away from the BiG. Ever.

IU isn’t leaving the BiG, and they’d never do so voluntarily. Zero chance of that happening. What is far more likely is a new revenue distribution model at some point down the line. But IU would never walk away from the BiG. Ever.

more a matter of who would leave the B10.

and the SEC.

and the ACC.

and the PAC

not happening near future. doesn't mean can't happen.

big business's primary goal isn't to better compete.

it's to not have to compete.

Last edited:
more a matter of who would leave the B10.

and the SEC.

and the ACC.

and the PAC

not happening near future. doesn't mean can't happen.

big business's primary goal isn't to better compete.

it's to not have to compete.
Only the “haves” in any of those conferences would leave, as we’ve already seen (A&M, UT, OU, SC, UCLA), and only the “haves” will leave going forward if there’s a better deal that awaits them. The “have nots” understand they’re taking out more than they contribute, and they’ll remain in place for every second that such a scenario exists for them.

We’re a “have not” inasmuch as we contribute less from a revenue perspective than we withdraw. We’ll never voluntarily walk away from that, and we’ll go kicking and screaming if someone tells us to leave (which they won’t). The middle ground that is very likely to occur at some point is that revenue will be distributed in a manner somewhat consistent with what any member contributes.

Only the “haves” in any of those conferences would leave, as we’ve already seen (A&M, UT, OU, SC, UCLA), and only the “haves” will leave going forward if there’s a better deal that awaits them. The “have nots” understand they’re taking out more than they contribute, and they’ll remain in place for every second that such a scenario exists for them.

We’re a “have not” inasmuch as we contribute less from a revenue perspective than we withdraw. We’ll never voluntarily walk away from that, and we’ll go kicking and screaming if someone tells us to leave (which they won’t). The middle ground that is very likely to occur at some point is that revenue will be distributed in a manner somewhat consistent with what any member contributes.

i could see redistribution of TV money as tricky, absent schools being able to sched all home games.

Plenty of it is “tricky”, but the dollars and inequity are potentially huge. They’ll figure it out.

i'll play.

give me one or more examples of how they do this.

OSU and PSU could threaten to leave the B10.

i see no other way they could coerce a bigger share with only 2 votes.

i wouldn't be surprised if the others said "go then".

and where would they go?

you think the SEC will give them more than the other schools?

NO.

no one else can even make an argument for a bigger enough share to make it worth it to them..

Last edited:
i'll play.

give me one or more examples of how they do this.
Create a formula where total conference revenue is distributed based on how much each school generates. Media rights, attendance, etc. The “haves” are incentivized to create a better system because it’s more equitable to them. Pro sports teams figured this out a long time ago. Colleges will, too.

Create a formula where total conference revenue is distributed based on how much each school generates. Media rights, attendance, etc. The “haves” are incentivized to create a better system because it’s more equitable to them. Pro sports teams figured this out a long time ago. Colleges will, too.

you can create all the formulas you want, you have to get the other schools to accept that formula.

OSU and PSU have 2 votes, so good luck with that.

i amended my post you quoted.

re read the amended version.

and the NFL shares tv money equally.

i'm guessing most of baseball's tv money is local, and individually negotiated.

If I am not mistaken, the University of Chicago is the only school with full Big Ten membership that has ever left or been kicked out of the Big Ten. As that was because of a philosophical decision to end their athletic program, they still retain an academic association with the Big Ten.

Has anyone ever left or been kicked out of the SEC?

you can create all the formulas you want, you have to get the other schools to accept that formula.

i amended my post you quoted.

re read the amended version.

and the NFL shares tv money equally.

i'm guessing most of baseball's tv money is local, and individually negotiated.
Getting the little guys to accept it won’t be the issue, it will be what the big guys deem to be equitable. But if you can fit all of these disparate schools together in geographically diverse conferences, they’ll figure out a formula that works. Way too much money on the table to suggest otherwise.

If I am not mistaken, the University of Chicago is the only school with full Big Ten membership that has ever left or been kicked out of the Big Ten. As that was because of a philosophical decision to end their athletic program, they still retain an academic association with the Big Ten.

Has anyone ever left or been kicked out of the SEC?
Correct on the U. Of Chicago. Nobody else is leaving unless they’re expelled, and that won’t happen. But the lead singer and the quarterback are much more valuable and always get paid more than the base player and the left guard.

really?

what's your plan on how they do that.

don't tell me it's easy, with no plan on how you pull that off.
How would they push back? They generate less income, so that’s their leverage to say they should be paid the same amount? Why don’t the Reds and the Rays tell the Dodgers and the Yankees that they should all get the same amount of revenue? How about the Jags and Shad Khan demand that Jerry Jones split stadium revenues with all of them more fairly?

No one said it’s “easy”, only that it will happen. What possible argument do you make to the schools that generate most of the revenue that they should give some of it to schools that generate much less? Maybe UM/OSU/PSU/UW simply refuse to split home football revenues equitably. Maybe they refuse to play every other year at certain opponents, as used to be the case. All kinds of ways to be more equitable. Long ago, the CFA ran over the NCAA on football broadcast rights, paving the way for the proliferation of games that occurred when cable and ESPN became ubiquitous. Times change and traditions end, as we‘re seeing in real time. And wait until the players say they want a piece of the pie.

How would they push back? They generate less income, so that’s their leverage to say they should be paid the same amount? Why don’t the Reds and the Rays tell the Dodgers and the Yankees that they should all get the same amount of revenue? How about the Jags and Shad Khan demand that Jerry Jones split stadium revenues with all of them more fairly?

No one said it’s “easy”, only that it will happen. What possible argument do you make to the schools that generate most of the revenue that they should give some of it to schools that generate much less? Maybe UM/OSU/PSU/UW simply refuse to split home football revenues equitably. Maybe they refuse to play every other year at certain opponents, as used to be the case. All kinds of ways to be more equitable. Long ago, the CFA ran over the NCAA on football broadcast rights, paving the way for the proliferation of games that occurred when cable and ESPN became ubiquitous. Times change and traditions end, as we‘re seeing in real time. And wait until the players say they want a piece of the pie.

you still haven't said how you plan to pull that off.

good reason you haven't, because you obviously can't come up with any such plan, and are just trolling at this point.

don't ask how i dispute your plan, when you haven't given any plan yet.

Reactions: brianiu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT