ADVERTISEMENT

USC/UCLA B1G?

you still haven't said how you plan to pull that off.

good reason you haven't, because you obviously can't come up with any such plan, and are just trolling at this point.

don't ask how i dispute your plan, when you haven't given any plan yet.
The heavy revenue generators in each of the major conferences will band together to create the ultimate super conference, generating the biggest t television draws. That’s but one way the haves can force this.

You probably thought the Southwest Conference would last forever.

You probably thought the Big 8 would, too.

Or that those two would never merge.

Or that Arkansas would leave them.

And Nebraska would, too, for the Big 10!

And CU, too!

And that Utah would join the PAC 11/12. Utah?

And that BYU would join the Big12. With UC, and UCF?

And that they’d be greeted by West Virginia. Who would never forgo their independence.

And Mizzou would go to the SEC?

And that the PAC-8 would never admit two schools whose borders don’t even touch the Pacific Ocean.

Or that Miami would forgo their independent status.

Or that FSU would forgo their’s, too.

Or South Carolina.

Or Georgia Tech.

Or Penn State. And then they’d join the Big 10.

Or that Maryland would leave the ACC . . . for the Big 10.

or that major conferences would all have their own networks, 40 years after we were lucky to see three games on a Saturday.

Or that we would see games on any day except Saturday.

Or that college athletes could be allowed to cut their own endorsement deals.

I‘m not trolling, but I’ve been following this stuff for a long time. You don’t seem to understand the sport or how it’s evolved, which is why so much of this is beyond you. How this will happen isn’t as important as understanding that it will happen. That’s what you’re unable to comprehend.

If I am not mistaken, the University of Chicago is the only school with full Big Ten membership that has ever left or been kicked out of the Big Ten. As that was because of a philosophical decision to end their athletic program, they still retain an academic association with the Big Ten.

Has anyone ever left or been kicked out of the SEC?
GT left that SEC after the 1964 season, and was an independent until joining the ACC in 1980.

Tulane was an original member of the SEC until they left the conference in 1966.

The heavy revenue generators in each of the major conferences will band together to create the ultimate super conference, generating the biggest t television draws. That’s but one way the haves can force this.

You probably thought the Southwest Conference would last forever.

You probably thought the Big 8 would, too.

Or that those two would never merge.

Or that Arkansas would leave them.

And Nebraska would, too, for the Big 10!

And CU, too!

And that Utah would join the PAC 11/12. Utah?

And that BYU would join the Big12. With UC, and UCF?

And that they’d be greeted by West Virginia. Who would never forgo their independence.

And Mizzou would go to the SEC?

And that the PAC-8 would never admit two schools whose borders don’t even touch the Pacific Ocean.

Or that Miami would forgo their independent status.

Or that FSU would forgo their’s, too.

Or South Carolina.

Or Georgia Tech.

Or Penn State. And then they’d join the Big 10.

Or that Maryland would leave the ACC . . . for the Big 10.

or that major conferences would all have their own networks, 40 years after we were lucky to see three games on a Saturday.

Or that we would see games on any day except Saturday.

Or that college athletes could be allowed to cut their own endorsement deals.

I‘m not trolling, but I’ve been following this stuff for a long time. You don’t seem to understand the sport or how it’s evolved, which is why so much of this is beyond you. How this will happen isn’t as important as understanding that it will happen. That’s what you’re unable to comprehend.

yes, OSU and PSU and Mich can leave, which i already alluded to long before you ever did. (try and keep up).

if they don't leave, they have no way to get the other schools in the B10 to give them a bigger cut.

if a couple schools threaten to leave absent getting a bigger share, i'm guessing the other schools wish them good luck.

yes, OSU and PSU and Mich can leave, which i already alluded to long before you ever did. (try and keep up).

if they don't leave, they have no way to get the other schools in the B10 to give them a bigger cut.

if a couple schools threaten to leave absent getting a bigger share, i'm guessing the other schools wish them good luck.
The collegiate sports world is changing right in front of you, as conference networks, conference realignment and name, image and likeness make clear to everyone but you. Believing that OSU, PSU and UM have no way to compel a different revenue result is delusional. You can continue to deny the obvious and observable, but it doesn’t change what’s happening.

Create a formula where total conference revenue is distributed based on how much each school generates. Media rights, attendance, etc. The “haves” are incentivized to create a better system because it’s more equitable to them. Pro sports teams figured this out a long time ago. Colleges will, too.
Who is going to vote for that? You are naive and view this from only one perspective. The university presidents would never vote for this. Never. That is not how they think. You are thinking along capitalist lines. The university presidents are not raging capitalists - not one of them. What is "more equitable" to them is a more even share of revenue regardless of contribution. Look at every polict the B1G supports and universities support. Equity is big, rewards for relative greater contributions based on performance are not.

Reactions: vesuvius13
GT left that SEC after the 1964 season, and was an independent until joining the ACC in 1980.

Tulane was an original member of the SEC until they left the conference in 1966.
Suspect both schools would now rather have remained in the SEC, unless they decided to deemphasize athletics.

The collegiate sports world is changing right in front of you, as conference networks, conference realignment and name, image and likeness make clear to everyone but you. Believing that OSU, PSU and UM have no way to compel a different revenue result is delusional. You can continue to deny the obvious and observable, but it doesn’t change what’s happening.
No, they can't "compel" anything short of coming up with some higher paying alternative to the B1G, and that does not exist.

Who is going to vote for that? You are naive and view this from only one perspective. The university presidents would never vote for this. Never. That is not how they think. You are thinking along capitalist lines. The university presidents are not raging capitalists - not one of them. What is "more equitable" to them is a more even share of revenue regardless of contribution. Look at every polict the B1G supports and universities support. Equity is big, rewards for relative greater contributions based on performance are not.
No offense, but suggesting these guys aren’t worried about the money is the height of naïveté. This is a new era. And the big boys don’t vote, they make demands.

No, they can't "compel" anything short of coming up with some higher paying alternative to the B1G, and that does not exist.
You think they’ll allow the schools that take more than they contribute to continue to do so indefinitely? Wouldn’t be so sure if I were you. Times have changed.

Last edited:
Reactions: IndyGlen
There will be no divisions and no conference championship game. Playoff will be expanded so they need that extra week. This is not speculation but from friends coaching in different Power 5 conferences
There will definitely be a conference championship game. The Big Ten champion will play the SEC champion for the national title.

At the end of the day, they are capitalists who will do whatever it takes to promote and protect their own school. If they were as you say, they wouldn’t be already dumping huge funds into the sports arm race to get ahead of their competition. Nobody is giving up their piece of the pie. Not a single one. When it comes to sports, you better believe they are raging capitalists and if they are presented with such a distribution plan, they would jump in it in a heartbeat. Equality and equitable distribution has always been a pie in the sky concept, even in Communist Russia. It’s all talk.

At the end of the day, they are capitalists who will do whatever it takes to promote and protect their own school. If they were as you say, they wouldn’t be already dumping huge funds into the sports arm race to get ahead of their competition. Nobody is giving up their piece of the pie. Not a single one. When it comes to sports, you better believe they are raging capitalists and if they are presented with such a distribution plan, they would jump in it in a heartbeat. Equality and equitable distribution has always been a pie in the sky concept, even in Communist Russia. It’s all talk.
Not sure universities are dumping non athletic department revenue into sports. Where do you get that from? I think most, if not all want collegiate sports to support itself, outside of maybe some scholarship money.

No offense, but suggesting these guys aren’t worried about the money is the height of naïveté. This is a new era. And the big boys don’t vote, they make demands.
Uh no. I don't think for most of them care too much about the athletic department. They let it run itself unless university donations dry up because of some disaster (performance or moral). Otherwise they don't care. They're primarily academics. Spent much time with high level academics? Many of them don't like intercollegiate athletics. My guess is that as many university presidents liked the idea of USC/UCLA in the B1G because of their academic reputations as they did for revenue enhancement. These folks like associations with top notch teaching/research institutions.

Uh no. I don't think for most of them care too much about the athletic department. They let it run itself unless university donations dry up because of some disaster (performance or moral). Otherwise they don't care. They're primarily academics. Spent much time with high level academics? Many of them don't like intercollegiate athletics. My guess is that as many university presidents liked the idea of USC/UCLA in the B1G because of their academic reputations as they did for revenue enhancement. These folks like associations with top notch teaching/research institutions.
Oh, they care plenty. The numbers are too great to be indifferent, even if some of them aren’t sports fans. More practically, many of their alums are sports fans, as are their most generous benefactors. They may think college sports has an outsized profile in what was meant to be an academic setting, but they understand what role they play in both donations and undergraduate applications. Henry Bienen didn’t care until he saw his small university reach the pinnacle of the sport, and then he quickly realized the wide ranging impact of such an achievement. If you knew about IU in 1976, you’d never claim university presidents don’t care. You’re a few decades behind here.

This is a Myles Brand philosophy. I don’t subscribe to the idea that the majority of university presidents want to de-emphasize athletics in the college world. It’s a great resource for schools to influence enrollment.

https://www.heartlandcollegesports....quantity-and-quality-of-student-applications/

Herbie predicts two super conferences. I think cornering the LA TV market gives BiG a long term edge.

Road trips have been air travel for a long time now — rail travel limited the geographic reach, 100 years ago.

The NFL and MLBB took over the west coast when intercontinental air travel was taken over by the 707. The TV money would let BiG to have a fleet of 767s for west cost travel.

https://247sports.com/college/nebra...reported-USC-UCLA-moves-to-Big-Ten-189476707/

Last edited:
The TV money would let BiG to have a fleet of 767s for west cost travel.
I've been thinking about that! Over 20 years ago the NCAA put the Kybosh on collegiate flying (saying that University jets to pick up/drop off potential recruits put other schools that couldn't afford it at a distinct disadvantage). But I think you are right, you wouldn't just be flying the team, it's all the ever-expanding support group that goes with it, and that's probably close to a full charter now. Another nail in the NCAA's coffin.

I've been thinking about that! Over 20 years ago the NCAA put the Kybosh on collegiate flying (saying that University jets to pick up/drop off potential recruits put other schools that couldn't afford it at a distinct disadvantage). But I think you are right, you wouldn't just be flying the team, it's all the ever-expanding support group that goes with it, and that's probably close to a full charter now. Another nail in the NCAA's coffin.
I was thinking that BiG could have a long-term interest / contract with an Air Charter Service with custom seating more suited to 300 lb linemen (e.g all first class seats with extra leg room). There could even be a PT lounge.
How about corporate sponsored livery (UAL is still in Chicago — NW also comes to mind).

I was thinking that BiG could have a long-term interest / contract with an Air Charter Service with custom seating more suited to 300 lb linemen (e.g all first class seats with extra leg room). There could even be a PT lounge.
How about corporate sponsored livery (UAL is still in Chicago — NW also comes to mind).
They aren’t starting or running an airline for this . . . That would be prohibitively expensive and not be a good use of their money. What they’ll likely consider doing, however, is use the scale of the new conference to negotiate air travel, ground transport, and lodging on behalf of each member school, rather than the current arrangement where each school makes arrangements on their own. But it will be outsourced to a qualified provider.

This is a Myles Brand philosophy. I don’t subscribe to the idea that the majority of university presidents want to de-emphasize athletics in the college world. It’s a great resource for schools to influence enrollment.

https://www.heartlandcollegesports....quantity-and-quality-of-student-applications/
I never said they want to deemphasize athletics, what I said was, in essence, they believe it has its place and they most definitely don't put athletics at the top of their list. It is one of many. There are many presidents who view athletics with benign neglect. I do agree that many see athletics as a source of fundraising and there is a long history of college athletes becoming major donors in future years and from that perspective they like athletics. Many also don't like to have university teams as doormats, that is not consistent with a philosophy of seeking excellence, but for many mediocrity is just fine and funding themselves without drawing university money for support is even better.

I don't know if Whitten is raiding athletics tv contract money but if that is occurring, it should stop. IU does need to fund football at a much higher level, but keep in mind Memorial Stadium is rarely full for any game other than OSU whose fans travel. Until IU fans step up and fill the stadium (I know chicken or egg argument) It's hard to say the demand is there. I keep hoping I 69 is finally finished and it makes it easier for Indy fans to get to and from the games on game days.

Oh, they care plenty. The numbers are too great to be indifferent, even if some of them aren’t sports fans. More practically, many of their alums are sports fans, as are their most generous benefactors. They may think college sports has an outsized profile in what was meant to be an academic setting, but they understand what role they play in both donations and undergraduate applications. Henry Bienen didn’t care until he saw his small university reach the pinnacle of the sport, and then he quickly realized the wide ranging impact of such an achievement. If you knew about IU in 1976, you’d never claim university presidents don’t care. You’re a few decades behind here.
Compared to the size of the IU budget statewide budget, athletics at the Bloomington campus which is funded by the athletic department is not the all everything you seem to think. The athletics department budget is about $130 million out of a university wide budget of $4 billion or about 3% of the total budget. Revenues pay for most of that. So the actual cost to the university for athletics department support is very little. The state allocation to IU is over $300 million per year. This is used to fund the university budget directly. I suspect Whitten cares more about lobying state lawmakers, getting grants and fundraising from alums than the athletics department. I believe she cares more about IU athletics than other past presidents but I doubt she spends much time on it.

Universities like OSU, PSU or UM already have huge positive money making operations with athletics. Where would the motivation be to incrementally raise more money by foisting an unequal revenue share plan on the other presidents. Don't you see how bad they would look to their peers doing this?

Compared to the size of the IU budget statewide budget, athletics at the Bloomington campus which is funded by the athletic department is not the all everything you seem to think. The athletics department budget is about $130 million out of a university wide budget of $4 billion or about 3% of the total budget. Revenues pay for most of that. So the actual cost to the university for athletics department support is very little. The state allocation to IU is over $300 million per year. This is used to fund the university budget directly. I suspect Whitten cares more about lobying state lawmakers, getting grants and fundraising from alums than the athletics department. I believe she cares more about IU athletics than other past presidents but I doubt she spends much time on it.

Universities like OSU, PSU or UM already have huge positive money making operations with athletics. Where would the motivation be to incrementally raise more money by foisting an unequal revenue share plan on the other presidents. Don't you see how bad they would look to their peers doing this?
If Ohio State wanted more money, it'd just be independent.

There are many presidents who view athletics with benign neglect. I do agree that many see athletics as a source of fundraising and there is a long history of college athletes becoming major donors in future years and from that perspective they like athletics.

The conventional wisdom is that contributors to the Varsity Club can eventually be converted to contributors to the IU Foundation.

I didn’t claim it was the “all everything”, only that Presidents actually do care, which you said they didn’t. John Ryan would be laughing out loud. Major universities maintain large physical plants related to athletics, and they generate and spend considerable sums on sports. There’s a reason they’re involved closely in decisions like this, and it’s because they’re material, something you denied. Suggesting that revenue distributions shouldn’t be based on what schools bring on makes little sense, and several of those schools have said as much. It’s why this round of consolidation is occurring, even though you claim they don’t care. I’m sure you don’t believe athletes won’t seek a share of the revenue pie, either. loo.

Create a formula where total conference revenue is distributed based on how much each school generates. Media rights, attendance, etc. The “haves” are incentivized to create a better system because it’s more equitable to them. Pro sports teams figured this out a long time ago. Colleges will, too.
The have nots won't go along with it. USC and UCLA had leverage, because they could leave and get a better deal in the BIG.

OSU doesn't have the same leverage, because they don't have anywhere else to go and get a better deal. I mean, unless they try to join the NFL. Lol.

The have nots won't go along with it. USC and UCLA had leverage, because they could leave and get a better deal in the BIG.

OSU doesn't have the same leverage, because they don't have anywhere else to go and get a better deal. I mean, unless they try to join the NFL. Lol.
They would struggle to compete with a move to the SEC.

Of course the have nots won’t be happy to take less, even though they earn less. But people have been saying “can’t” about this stuff for years, and it keeps evolving. Silly to believe that the evo.union wont continue. Just wait u til the p.Ayer’s want a piece of the pie.

They would struggle to compete with a move to the SEC.
They certainly won't get a bigger share of the pie....

Competition is why they won't break away to form some super league. There are only 3 or 4 monster programs, and they won't find 6 doormats willing to take all the L's in return for the money. Those 3 or 4 teams don't attract enough eyeballs to command a TV contract so much better than the ones that exist now.

They certainly won't get a bigger share of the pie....

Competition is why they won't break away to form some super league. There are only 3 or 4 monster programs, and they won't find 6 doormats willing to take all the L's in return for the money. Those 3 or 4 teams don't attract enough eyeballs to command a TV contract so much better than the ones that exist now.
There are several times more than 3 or 4 monster programs. And they could get a bigger pie. Bit they won’t need to do that. They’ll just be paid what they’re worth in the Big 10.

Never go out on a limb as it can be sawed out from under you - USC and UCLA are now part of the B1G in 2024.

no kidding, i'm way way way way out on a really really really thin limb here..

and literally all by myself at that.

for now, i'll stay there.

i still predict this falls apart, doesn't happen.

The Rose Bowl is now officially destroyed.

If either of the two hometown teams qualify for the Rose Bowl they will be playing for the visitor conference

There are several times more than 3 or 4 monster programs. And they could get a bigger pie. Bit they won’t need to do that. They’ll just be paid what they’re worth in the Big 10.
OSU, Clemson, Alabama. They make the playoff most years.

If you think Florida, Georgia, Florida State, Miami, LSU, and other schools like that are going to sign for a new conference where they make an extra 10 mil a year and go 2-10, think again. The fans will lose their shit, just like they did about the ESL.

OSU is OSU because they win, alot. They wouldn't risk that on a super league, and neither will most of the others outside the big 3.

OSU, Clemson, Alabama. They make the playoff most years.

If you think Florida, Georgia, Florida State, Miami, LSU, and other schools like that are going to sign for a new conference where they make an extra 10 mil a year and go 2-10, think again. The fans will lose their shit, just like they did about the ESL.

OSU is OSU because they win, alot. They wouldn't risk that on a super league, and neither will most of the others outside the big 3.
They’ll take the money, but they aren’t going 2-10. That’s the short term view. Big thinkers see much ore possibility. “Alot” more possibility.

The Rose Bowl is now officially destroyed.

If either of the two hometown teams qualify for the Rose Bowl they will be playing for the visitor conference
You can throw out just about any tradition associated with college football now. Traditional rivalries will disappear. Think Oregon and Oregon State or Washington vs WSU. I never envisioned a day when kids who haven’t played a down of college football would sign NIL deals worth millions. But, it’s here. Some of this could backfire and lose viewership. We’ll see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT