ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Allen's buyout is supposedly 20 Million dollars.....

And I don’t mean to imply it’s the path to raise academics at a school. It’s just one more thing to make a school attractive
Indianapolis is certainly going to be full of sports marketing agents if it's not already.

I wonder if my son’s generation is going to give like my generation? I am guessing no. And if I am right Colleges are going to be feeling pain when the old guys are dead and gone and donations dry up.
I can see that at IU but not in the SEC or Big12 at all.

People talk about all the donations that sports brings in, but those go to sports. I wonder if there are studies on sports competing with academics. If someone donates $5000 to the Varsity Club then gets a call from the foundation or alumni, are they more or less likely to give. I suspect they are competing for the same pool of cash.
They would be more likely to give if the Hoosiers went to the Rose Bowl.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
There was a study that shows increased winning results in more money for athletics and less money for academics.

A rise in athletic giving equals a decrease in academic operating dollars (academic giving minus deferred gifts), the researchers say, indicating that athletic giving crowds out academic giving.​
For every $1 increase in athletic giving, the current operating dollars restricted to academic purposes decreased by $1.40.​

And football negatively impacts academics more than basketball:

The impact of successful programs also depends on the sport. While higher football winning percentages were associated with less academic giving, the researchers found no evidence that basketball winning percentage directly affected academic giving in any direction. But both percentages were “powerful determinants” in driving athletic giving higher.​
For every 1-percentage-point increase in football winning percentage, the current operating dollars restricted to athletic purposes increased by approximately $6.7 million, while a 1-percent rise in basketball translated to an $8 million increase.​
Yet for every percentage-point increase in winning for football, academic operating dollars decreased by about $16.4 million.

it is interesting to look at the impact of successful sports programs on academic institutions and on the academic excellence as opposed to athletic success.

I recall a report from Butler on the fallout of their back-to-back BB championship game appearances. Sure, it energized alums to give to their sports programs, and likely unrestricted gifts as well.

But beyond that there was significant side benefits that are not necessarily so obvious. Admissions applications spiked dramatically based on the new-found national name recognition, particularly from out-of-state students. With a bigger applicant pool they could be more selective & raise metrics like average test scores, average GPA, and perhaps expand diversity as well, if that was a goal. Even new faculty recruitment was helped by the added name recognition.

I also recall a similar analysis of Georgetown, joining the Big East in the 80s and building a big time basketball program. The were always a great school, but the success in basketball gave a huge influx of recognition that was beneficial even outside of athletics.

That's how I always took it before. Either reading is fine, I guess. Either way we can all agree he didn't claim they didn't build their own business.
Of course he did. Does he really think people build their own roads and bridges?

Gawd, you're really reaching here.

Yes I noticed that part too. In that report they didn't go head to head with numbers. I thought the second link where it had revenue by sport was good. When you research it you will always see FB as #1. Another factor to consider is new conferences are being formed or teams being added like the Big 10 based on FB not BB, soccer, etc.
I guess my point is, basketball is a major - MAJOR - factor in the BTN and payouts to B1G members. It's not just football.

All teams and all sports in schools in the B1G compete in the B1G. They're not independent in some sports.

it is interesting to look at the impact of successful sports programs on academic institutions and on the academic excellence as opposed to athletic success.

I recall a report from Butler on the fallout of their back-to-back BB championship game appearances. Sure, it energized alums to give to their sports programs, and likely unrestricted gifts as well.

But beyond that there was significant side benefits that are not necessarily so obvious. Admissions applications spiked dramatically based on the new-found national name recognition, particularly from out-of-state students. With a bigger applicant pool they could be more selective & raise metrics like average test scores, average GPA, and perhaps expand diversity as well, if that was a goal. Even new faculty recruitment was helped by the added name recognition.

I also recall a similar analysis of Georgetown, joining the Big East in the 80s and building a big time basketball program. The were always a great school, but the success in basketball gave a huge influx of recognition that was beneficial even outside of athletics.

Of course their existence in big boy conferences has not gone well, to date. I go to more Butler games then IU, living so close. But going to be really hard for them to step up their game in that conference long term. Just isn't much revenue available there. The Hinkle games are awesome, but more like going to a glorified high school game. Marquette...by comparison, is like 3x the size of Butler enrollment

@Marvin the Martian what would you think of Gruden at IU? He's only four years older than Prime

No way it happens, those emails just won't get him hired here.

He's been off the radar for a while. I think he has a huge name with people our age. I don't know most 18-year-olds know him from Adam. I am not sure he would be near the splash people think. I think he could do the Xs and Os, I am just not sure he's close to the splash some think.

I know people that knew him when he lived here, maybe that would be an in for me :).

No way it happens, those emails just won't get him hired here.

He's been off the radar for a while. I think he has a huge name with people our age. I don't know most 18-year-olds know him from Adam. I am not sure he would be near the splash people think. I think he could do the Xs and Os, I am just not sure he's close to the splash some think.

I know people that knew him when he lived here, maybe that would be an in for me :).
Then in other words it’s fate

Gruden sent mean emails and was copied on some others that were mean. He must be stopped at all cost. I am disappointed that he has never posted here though. He'd be a great contributor on AOTF based on the content of those emails.
He certainly can mean mug

Gruden sent mean emails and was copied on some others that were mean. He must be stopped at all cost. I am disappointed that he has never posted here though. He'd be a great contributor on AOTF based on the content of those emails.
Why do people try to pretend that racist, homophobic and misogynistic emails are just “mean”? It’s the same way people try to pass off Trump’s ridiculous tweets. There’s a big difference.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
@BradStevens yeah we might be wrong on this one. I underestimated the size of IU’s operating budget. I stand by what I said re the absurd arms race but …..

I find universities hoarding these billion dollar endowments to be obscene and immoral. They are not Goldman Sachs. They should use the billions to run a tuition free university that is not beholden to the wealthiest of the wealthy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT