ADVERTISEMENT

Thank you Fred Glass!

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
In 2016 Indiana approved a $53 million project to enclose the stadium. And now, 7 years later, the university has announced that it is going to modernize the stadium! No details yet but apparently bathrooms and concessions that are 63 years old might be on the agenda. No mention of aluminum benches.

That's roughly during the era where Fred was taking a stroll through the corridors of the athletic department with the goal of finding a new football coach that same afternoon. After all Wilson had just been terminated and the Hoosiers needed a coach for their bowl game and more importantly they needed a coach for the next day's practice.

A year earlier, in 2015 Fred signed a 3-year agreement with Louisville for a football series with the provision that if a team backed out they would have to pay $1 million dollars per game if the cancellation occurred within 2 years of the game. And here we are!

A year earlier Fred created the athletes Bill of Rights which allowed scholarship players with two seasons of eligibility left to quit the program, and as long as they did not transfer to another school, they could return to Indiana anytime in the future to complete their degree for free. Once again no time to performance. If you quit the program you can come back with a lifetime guarantee of completing your scholarship.

And then prior to retiring he recommended that ex-basketball manager Scott Dolson be appointed the new athletic director. To his credit he engineered the 10 million buyout of Archie Miller's contract. Perhaps that might have been an indication that long-term multimillion dollar contracts should have some minimal performance stipulations. Not banning masturbation while on a telephone call is a reasonable oversight.

But Scott did step up to give significant raises and contract extensions to Tom Allen and staff. Also the men's and women's soccer coaches. Same with the women's softball coach. Same with the men's baseball coach. Same with his swimming coach. Same with the diving coach. The man was spending TV contract revenues like a drunken sailor. It should be noted that all of these other coaches produced more competitive teams, which was a wonderful coincidence.

But I digress. Let's get back to football. The the Hoosiers are backing out of years two and three of the Louisville series. And they're doing it in a way that is reminiscent of the villain in The Pincess Bride when facing the protagonist in a dual drops his sword and runs away. I was reading an article this morning where it is uncertain where the Hoosiers are going to be on the hook for $1 million or $2 million for canceling two of the three games before a single one is played.

The athletic department and Tom Allen obviously see a bigger upside canceling a game that everybody wants to see, in order to find another mediocre opponent that nobody wants to see. The upside of this well thought out idea is a greater likelihood of a six win season, which adds another $5 million obligation to Tom Allen as a result of qualifying for a bowl game and that's another year extension to his contract. I mean

Woody just got a 1 million dollar raise. Of course the basketball program is showing significant gains.

I'm wondering if football can borrow the San Diego chicken as a mascot. It certainly would be appropriate.

Good gravy, people are looking way too much into this.

If Tom Allen consistently wins 6 games a year, IU will consistently be a bowl team. If that means playing a creampuff non-conference schedule then so be it. There hasn't been a coach in the history of this program that has consistently done that.

Last edited:

If Tom Allen consistently wins 6 games a year, IU will consistently be a bowl team. If that means playing a creampuff non-conference schedule then so be it. There hasn't been a coaching in this history of this program that has consistently done that.
Six wins is the definition of CFB mediocrity. Granted it would be a vast improvement. But anyone satisfied with that should submit their resume the next time the AD position opens up.

In 2016 Indiana approved a $53 million project to enclose the stadium. And now, 7 years later, the university has announced that it is going to modernize the stadium! No details yet but apparently bathrooms and concessions that are 63 years old might be on the agenda. No mention of aluminum benches.

That's roughly during the era where Fred was taking a stroll through the corridors of the athletic department with the goal of finding a new football coach that same afternoon. After all Wilson had just been terminated and the Hoosiers needed a coach for their bowl game and more importantly they needed a coach for the next day's practice.

A year earlier, in 2015 Fred signed a 3-year agreement with Louisville for a football series with the provision that if a team backed out they would have to pay $1 million dollars per game if the cancellation occurred within 2 years of the game. And here we are!

A year earlier Fred created the athletes Bill of Rights which allowed scholarship players with two seasons of eligibility left to quit the program, and as long as they did not transfer to another school, they could return to Indiana anytime in the future to complete their degree for free. Once again no time to performance. If you quit the program you can come back with a lifetime guarantee of completing your scholarship.

And then prior to retiring he recommended that ex-basketball manager Scott Dolson be appointed the new athletic director. To his credit he engineered the 10 million buyout of Archie Miller's contract. Perhaps that might have been an indication that long-term multimillion dollar contracts should have some minimal performance stipulations. Not banning masturbation while on a telephone call is a reasonable oversight.

But Scott did step up to give significant raises and contract extensions to Tom Allen and staff. Also the men's and women's soccer coaches. Same with the women's softball coach. Same with the men's baseball coach. Same with his swimming coach. Same with the diving coach. The man was spending TV contract revenues like a drunken sailor. It should be noted that all of these other coaches produced more competitive teams, which was a wonderful coincidence.

But I digress. Let's get back to football. The the Hoosiers are backing out of years two and three of the Louisville series. And they're doing it in a way that is reminiscent of the villain in The Pincess Bride when facing the protagonist in a dual drops his sword and runs away. I was reading an article this morning where it is uncertain where the Hoosiers are going to be on the hook for $1 million or $2 million for canceling two of the three games before a single one is played.

The athletic department and Tom Allen obviously see a bigger upside canceling a game that everybody wants to see, in order to find another mediocre opponent that nobody wants to see. The upside of this well thought out idea is a greater likelihood of a six win season, which adds another $5 million obligation to Tom Allen as a result of qualifying for a bowl game and that's another year extension to his contract. I mean

Woody just got a 1 million dollar raise. Of course the basketball program is showing significant gains.

I'm wondering if football can borrow the San Diego chicken as a mascot. It certainly would be appropriate.
You need your meds updated. Good lord. You sound more like ivegotwinners on the daily.

You have it wrong, it is about having four new top teams in the league and needing to have home games not being afraid of Louisville, get things right please.

Cool Story

Was your intention to smear Fred and what he accomplished? If so, you did a rather poor job of it. Your first four paragraphs did not land a glove.

The stadium upgrades were transformational leading to where we are today. There were pre-covid plans to do some of this work (suites etc) that ran out of runway. Scott is picking that torch up.

The SABOR was market driving and has been picked up elsewhere.

The Excellecnce Academy was and still is market driving.

You don't like Scott...ok

You need your meds updated. Good lord. You sound more like ivegotwinners on the daily.
Actually you are very correct on that point. A couple years ago I got hit by a car while riding my bicycle which put me on a walker for two and a half years including one year after a hip replacement. All of that lack of activity resulted in my diabetes requiring insulin as of last month which was the result of lack of physical activity.

I got rid of my television because I knew I would end up watching it 16 hours a day. And instead I am obsessing on sports using my cell phone. My bucket list retirement job had been driving that sailboat that is pictured in my head or information. Bigger than a football field including the end zones. Now my Big adventures are restricted to taking an Uber from the grocery store.

I'm still confident that Woody is going to help me with my mood swings come basketball season. Tom and Walt - not so much.

If Tom Allen consistently wins 6 games a year, IU will consistently be a bowl team. If that means playing a creampuff non-conference schedule then so be it. There hasn't been a coaching in this history of this program that has consistently done that.
Exactly. If he wins 6 or 7 games a year we'll name a street after him. That's iu football

Actually you are very correct on that point. A couple years ago I got hit by a car while riding my bicycle which put me on a walker for two and a half years including one year after a hip replacement. All of that lack of activity resulted in my diabetes requiring insulin as of last month which was the result of lack of physical activity.

I got rid of my television because I knew I would end up watching it 16 hours a day. And instead I am obsessing on sports using my cell phone. My bucket list retirement job had been driving that sailboat that is pictured in my head or information. Bigger than a football field including the end zones. Now my Big adventures are restricted to taking an Uber from the grocery store.

I'm still confident that Woody is going to help me with my mood swings come basketball season. Tom and Walt - not so much.
Pretty sure he was talking about the mental meds. But still, another good story.

Six wins is the definition of CFB mediocrity. Granted it would be a vast improvement. But anyone satisfied with that should submit their resume the next time the AD position opens up.
I don't think any fan would be satisfied with that. But until the administration isn't satisfied with it, nothings going to change.

Cool Story

Was your intention to smear Fred and what he accomplished? If so, you did a rather poor job of it. Your first four paragraphs did not land a glove.

The stadium upgrades were transformational leading to where we are today. There were pre-covid plans to do some of this work (suites etc) that ran out of runway. Scott is picking that torch up.

The Excellecnce Academy was and still is market driving.

There were no pre-Covid plans to construct suites.

Not taking your bait. Not interested in your goal of picking a fight

Fish elsewhere
Not picking a fight and I’ve pledged to not share things I know related to Fred Glass, but am sharing facts regarding the phantom suites. You might’ve heard someone mention something about a build out someday, but there were no plans. I’ll leave it at that and give you the last word.

Surprised by which, the fans or the administration?

By the way, did I mention I hate Ohio State?
This . . .

“I don't think any fan would be satisfied with that. But until the administration isn't satisfied with it, nothings going to change.”

I think plenty would be fine with this. And everyone hates Ohio State.

NCAA exploits players for decades, and Fred Glass does something to very slightly level the playing field at IU with the Bill of Rights, and you have a problem with it? It is literally the bare minimum that every college should have been doing for decades now. Really since the beginning.

It is? Can you wake me up when that happens? I want to be around to see those gains. Still don’t get the $1mm increase when you were a favorite to win the conference and didn’t do so. You get beaten like a drum in the BTT and get ousted in the 2nd round of the Big Dance.
Sure, he’s landed recruits but show me the results and I might agree. Right now, it’s all just a bunch of hype again like every offseason.

It is? Can you wake me up when that happens? I want to be around to see those gains. Still don’t get the $1mm increase when you were a favorite to win the conference and didn’t do so. You get beaten like a drum in the BTT and get ousted in the 2nd round of the Big Dance.
Sure, he’s landed recruits but show me the results and I might agree. Right now, it’s all just a bunch of hype again like every offseason.
Injuries to three starters had nothing to do with this?

Injuries to three starters had nothing to do with this?

Every team has injuries. It means he didn’t develop his bench to absorb this. I kept hearing leading up to this how “deep” we were and that we also had “a true 2nd starting five.” That was all a bunch of smoke as there was a drop-off when guys went down and then some of the guys that didn’t get minutes were inexplicable.
If we were so talented, Weren’t remotely competitive against Kansas and Zona. Swept by Iowa, Penn State and Northwestern.
But, I do understand that Woody is “still learning to be a college head coach.” He’s got another 10 years to figure it out.

Every team has injuries. It means he didn’t develop his bench to absorb this. I kept hearing leading up to this how “deep” we were and that we also had “a true 2nd starting five.” That was all a bunch of smoke as there was a drop-off when guys went down and then some of the guys that didn’t get minutes were inexplicable.
If we were so talented, Weren’t remotely competitive against Kansas and Zona. Swept by Iowa, Penn State and Northwestern.
But, I do understand that Woody is “still learning to be a college head coach.” He’s got another 10 years to figure it out.
Lol.

When you lose 2 senior+ starters for the bulk of the season (one for nearly the entire conference season) and still finish 2nd place in the B10 I'm not sure how you can't attribute that to anything but depth?

God damnit you are insufferable.

Last edited:
Lol.

When you lose 2 senior+ starters for a bulk of the season (one for nearly the entire conference season) and still finish 2nd place in the B10 I'm not sure how you can't attribute that to anything but depth?

God damnit you are insufferable.

I’m here to bring you back to earth 😉

Every team has injuries. Ours were severe and would have impacted any team.

Cool Story

The Excellence Academy was and still is market driving.

I have been going gladly to IU Football Games for 58 years - probably have not
seen 58 Big 10 wins - but I still enjoy seeing familiar faces and on a nice day nothing better other than a win in great environment ...
When I 1st started in 1965 I complained that our facilities were Mid-American
Conference quality in size as well as amenities....
Fred Glass was the leader in raising $$$ from the Irsays to Simons to many other
alumni etc for upgraded facilities in BB-FB-Baseball-Indoor Track-Girls Softball-Player's lounge and workout facilities... This has allowed us to begin to recruit more Big 10 caliber players and coaches .... We have a 1st class situation for all sports now to recruit at the highest level for players and coaches without any hint of cheating which we had in the past and we obviously don't need Michigan's issues etc ....
The NIL program and the Portal have changed college sports into a free agent
situation which favors universities with unlimited alumni donations in power
conferences ..... This will be an uphill climb for the average teams in Power 5
conferences with the buyouts for coaches and $$$$ for players.....
So without placing blame on any individual - most schools are in the same
boat....so we need to support IU anyway we can - mostly attendance at games
is the place to start ....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT