ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Allen's buyout is supposedly 20 Million dollars.....

The problem with IU athletics is the holier than thou attitude. They don't want another Bob Knight. They want that squeaky clean purple unicorn like Jay Wright, Brad Stevens, Billy Donovan etc. You aren't getting those guys. There have been plenty of hires on the basketball side at least that they could've had who would've won big here but they won't hire those guys.

Someone mentioned Urban Meyer which is obviously a pipe dream but even if the Indiana administration could get him they never would. We should've kept Sampson and Wilson. We'd be winning big.

The problem with IU athletics is the holier than thou attitude. They don't want another Bob Knight. They want that squeaky clean purple unicorn like Jay Wright, Brad Stevens, Billy Donovan etc. You aren't getting those guys. There have been plenty of hires on the basketball side at least that they could've had who would've won big here but they won't hire those guys.

Someone mentioned Urban Meyer which is obviously a pipe dream but even if the Indiana administration could get him they never would. We should've kept Sampson and Wilson. We'd be winning big.
Knowing that honor, honesty and integrity mean nothing to you explains much.

Meyer was beyond a total disaster in the NFL. I do not know if he would be successful recruiting now. Sure, probably better than Allen but that turns out to be a very low bar.

Meyer was beyond a total disaster in the NFL. I do not know if he would be successful recruiting now. Sure, probably better than Allen but that turns out to be a very low bar.

Isn’t it sad that on paper, Allen was by far the best head coach recruiter we've had since internet rankings became a thing.

I like what the President of Colorado said, they didn't have the money to hire Dion but they trusted the alumni to come through. We need that attitude. If IU could win at football the base would expand as the reversible jacket crowd moves over.

I don't know our people have the courage. We hire the big gun and they fail, then there is a problem. But success rarely comes to the timid.
CU Boulder’s admissions apps went up 40+ percent for out of state students this past year. Pretty crazy number from the Prime effect.

The merchandise sales and benefits to the local economy have been crazy too.

If you start tagging Bolwmania every time you make a reference to your dick, it will become one of the funniest and weirdest (some might say creepy, but not me) WC traditions.
The best is I responded to Marv yet he completely ignores it. He’s like the board’s dad who can’t believe he’s produced a brood of shitbags.

On that note of you want to read a great short story read “you can’t kill the rooster” by David sedaris

the soccer facility is god awful. any field surrounded by a track is just plain terrible. and baseball might be okay for hte big ten but it's nothing compared to stadiums in the south and southeast
Is it bad? I don’t have anything to compare it to, but you’d think one of the premier soccer programs in the country would have decent facilities. I liked the track, when I go to soccer games I get in my exercise by walking the track during the game, lol.

Is it bad? I don’t have anything to compare it to, but you’d think one of the premier soccer programs in the country would have decent facilities. I liked the track, when I go to soccer games I get in my exercise by walking the track during the game, lol.

It was built with the Little 500 in mind, not as a soccer facility. That said, I don't know that that makes it "bad."

Reactions: zeke4ahs
The best is I responded to Marv yet he completely ignores it. He’s like the board’s dad who can’t believe he’s produced a brood of shitbags.

On that note of you want to read a great short story read “you can’t kill the rooster” by David sedaris
Love David Sedaris. Have you ever seen him speak? His Holiday book is one of my favorites. Read it ever year.

I think Allen’s recruiting was decent. It was play calling and staff decisions that sunk him.

residence-19-min.jpg
It was built with the Little 500 in mind, not as a soccer facility. That said, I don't know that that makes it "bad."
This our mls by way of example. Anything that puts the fans right next to the field is ideal. I hate tracks

Reactions: zeke4ahs

Knight wasn’t squeaky clean?

But Rivals is privately owned. Are you arguing Rivals has no right to control what is posted to their servers?
Didn't Obama claim businesses didn't build their own business because they used things like public roads and made use of other public services?

Or does that argument go out the window when talking about the internet, which was built and paid for by US customers?

That money is from the BIGs tv contract. Which is for sports. I'm not even sure they can use it for academics? They could use it for a new football field(or coach obviously). Their field is so embarrassing. Its sun bleached before the season even starts and looks so dull on tv. Could also use it to upgrade athletic facilities. IU is pretty far behind most of the BIG football programs in that department.
:rolleyes:

Basketball can't compare to football. College football is the second most popular sport beehind the NFL. Football brings in the majority of money to support the other sports. And with a big time program FB can bring in even more money. BB brings in very little. Boosters give much more to the schools for FB than BB.
I'd have to see the numbers to believe that. I would like to see the BTN and network numbers for football vs basketball, because there are a lot more basketball games with potentially the same amount of viewers per game as football. Ergo, more advertising money. And include the NCAA BB tournament in that.

Didn't Obama claim businesses didn't build their own business because they used things like public roads and made use of other public services?

Or does that argument go out the window when talking about the internet, which was built and paid for by US customers?
No, Obama didn't claim that. That's a common mistake made by people who simply take edited out-of-context quotes at face value instead of looking into them.

That said, your point about Rivals making money using technology paid for by the public is a good one. The First Amendment does not protect you from Rivals' posting standards - but maybe it should. Maybe every content or platform provider whose business model depends on the constant use of the internet should be treated like a quasi-government actor.

A few years ago (2019?), the TV money went to the building fund. There's a press release out there somewhere saying half of the funding for the new GIS building was from the athletic department's TV money. Several schools in the conference have done it.
In 2019, the revenue teams were getting from the BTN was a lot less than what the new contract provides. B1G schools are swimming in BTN cash and the fact they/we are building new buildings on it shows we're just trying to find places to spend it.

Here's a thought - use the excess money to fund scholarship programs instead of building butt-ugly buildings like at the corner of Jordan (I know it's not Jordan anymore) and 7th street. And maybe we can use up even more green space and put in more concrete.

So does this mean China cannot illegally hack US corporations? Their servers are connected to the internet and this the data is free to anyone?

No, Obama didn't claim that. That's a common mistake made by people who simply take edited out-of-context quotes at face value instead of looking into them.

That said, your point about Rivals making money using technology paid for by the public is a good one. The First Amendment does not protect you from Rivals' posting standards - but maybe it should. Maybe every content or platform provider whose business model depends on the constant use of the internet should be treated like a quasi-government actor.
I can see why you'd want to disavow that claim of Obama's, but here it is. It's up to you to believe revisionist history or your own lying eyes.

"You didn't build that" is a phrase from a 2012 election campaign speech delivered by United States President Barack Obama on July 13, 2012, in Roanoke, Virginia. In the speech, Obama said: "Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a business, you didn't build that."

I agree about businesses using the internet being treated like a quasi-government actor, with the 1st Amendment applied to them.

Reactions: secondasky
I'd have to see the numbers to believe that. I would like to see the BTN and network numbers for football vs basketball, because there are a lot more basketball games with potentially the same amount of viewers per game as football. Ergo, more advertising money. And include the NCAA BB tournament in that.

Here's one based on viewership
Here's a chart based on revenue per sport. If you google most popular college sport college FB always comes up

The Foundation has $3B in it's coffers. How much does the Varsity Club have?

I'd say the model has proven out quite well.
Kind of goes against the claim that we need a great football program to bring in more money to the university.

IU is sitting on $3 Billion - I'd say the Foundation doesn't depend on a strong football program.

I am saying under your theory it would not be illegal to hack. Those servers are on the Internet and therefore are public property.
I have no idea how you come to that conclusion. Really. Free speech does not equal 'illegal'.

I have no idea how you come to that conclusion. Really. Free speech does not equal 'illegal'.
You say Rivals has no right to stop you from posting whatever the hell you want on their servers because their servers sit on the Internet and the Internet is owned by the public. Boeing has servers on the internet, those servers then are also owned by the public based on the theory you are espousing that anything on the Internet is public.

If General Dynamics put secrets on a piece of paper and posted them on a lamppost on the town square, you could go read them and there is no way anyone could convict you. If GD has military secrets on a server connected to the internet, you are the one saying that is therefore just as public as the lamppost and getting to that info cannot be illegal. Anything connected to the Internet is public, you can post what you want so you can also read whatever is there.

I agree with most of that but the demographics of some of the boosters are changing also, hence Cindy Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall and Sandra Eskenazi Team Center.
I wonder if my son’s generation is going to give like my generation? I am guessing no. And if I am right Colleges are going to be feeling pain when the old guys are dead and gone and donations dry up.

Reactions: DANC
I wonder if my son’s generation is going to give like my generation? I am guessing no. And if I am right Colleges are going to be feeling pain when the old guys are dead and gone and donations dry up.
They're getting it up front instead of over time with our sons' generation and later.

Last edited:
Here's one based on viewership

Here's a chart based on revenue per sport. If you google most popular college sport college FB always comes up
I'm confused when they say football is the most popular sport BY FAR, but then say basketball is a close second in popularity? Which is it? Can't really tell by their numbers.

They concentrate on the NCAA tournament for BB, but there's a long season before the tournament with many, many more teams in D1 in basketball than in football.

Odd write-up.

Football

College football is the most popular college sport by far. During the 2022 season, Americans streamed 4.1 billion minutes of live college football.

This high-action sport brings in $31.9 million per school per year2, mainly due to TV deals. For example, beginning July 1, 2023, the Big Ten Conference will begin a seven-year media rights deal with CBS, Fox, and NBC. This agreement is the largest in college sports history, putting the approximate value of the deal at a record $1.2 billion annually3.

Basketball

College basketball is a close second behind college football in popularity. A main factor in its popularity is the annual March Madness tournament. In fact, in March 2023 alone, the men’s tournament brought in $875 million4 in revenue for the NCAA.

March Madness is one of the most significant sporting events in the country each year in both men’s and women’s basketball. This year’s men’s national championship game averaged 14.7 million viewers5 and the women’s national championship game averaged a record-setting 9.9 million viewers6.

You say Rivals has no right to stop you from posting whatever the hell you want on their servers because their servers sit on the Internet and the Internet is owned by the public. Boeing has servers on the internet, those servers then are also owned by the public based on the theory you are espousing that anything on the Internet is public.

If General Dynamics put secrets on a piece of paper and posted them on a lamppost on the town square, you could go read them and there is no way anyone could convict you. If GD has military secrets on a server connected to the internet, you are the one saying that is therefore just as public as the lamppost and getting to that info cannot be illegal. Anything connected to the Internet is public, you can post what you want so you can also read whatever is there.
No, that's not what I said. I won't argue with a strawman.

Your conclusion that nothing would be illegal on the internet because it's public is bizarre.

I can see why you'd want to disavow that claim of Obama's, but here it is. It's up to you to believe revisionist history or your own lying eyes.

"You didn't build that" is a phrase from a 2012 election campaign speech delivered by United States President Barack Obama on July 13, 2012, in Roanoke, Virginia. In the speech, Obama said: "Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a business, you didn't build that."

I agree about businesses using the internet being treated like a quasi-government actor, with the 1st Amendment applied to them.
"If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet."

"That" is clearly a reference to "this unbelievable American system." Only by taking it out of context can you claim that it refers to the business.

I can understand why you want to believe Obama would say something so profoundly stupid, but he didn't.

"If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet."

"That" is clearly a reference to "this unbelievable American system." Only by taking it out of context can you claim that it refers to the business.

I can understand why you want to believe Obama would say something so profoundly stupid, but he didn't.
I always thought he was referring to the bridges and roads.

• Haha
Reactions: UncleMark
I'm confused when they say football is the most popular sport BY FAR, but then say basketball is a close second in popularity? Which is it? Can't really tell by their numbers.

They concentrate on the NCAA tournament for BB, but there's a long season before the tournament with many, many more teams in D1 in basketball than in football.

Odd write-up.

Football

College football is the most popular college sport by far. During the 2022 season, Americans streamed 4.1 billion minutes of live college football.

This high-action sport brings in $31.9 million per school per year2, mainly due to TV deals. For example, beginning July 1, 2023, the Big Ten Conference will begin a seven-year media rights deal with CBS, Fox, and NBC. This agreement is the largest in college sports history, putting the approximate value of the deal at a record $1.2 billion annually3.

Basketball

College basketball is a close second behind college football in popularity. A main factor in its popularity is the annual March Madness tournament. In fact, in March 2023 alone, the men’s tournament brought in $875 million4 in revenue for the NCAA.

March Madness is one of the most significant sporting events in the country each year in both men’s and women’s basketball. This year’s men’s national championship game averaged 14.7 million viewers5 and the women’s national championship game averaged a record-setting 9.9 million viewers6.

Yes I noticed that part too. In that report they didn't go head to head with numbers. I thought the second link where it had revenue by sport was good. When you research it you will always see FB as #1. Another factor to consider is new conferences are being formed or teams being added like the Big 10 based on FB not BB, soccer, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT