ADVERTISEMENT

This may interest some

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
I wish that was my career. I have given talks on the Civil War but I ain't VDH.
American classicist. military historian. And farmer. Yeah that’s pretty cool. I’d like that in a bar in response to “what do you do.”

Oh my goodness I’m sorry to hear of your breakup. What did your boyfriend do?
Managed an enterprise car rental store.
Ah. Great.
What do you do?
Me? Oh. Ha. A few things actually. It’s a little odd. I’m an American classicist. Military historian. And a farmer hahaha. Yes two more dirty martinis. Yes. Tab.

Take a look at Kenneth May Photography. A former employee who does a lot of Civil War site photography and reenactment photography, in addition to some sports photography. I think you’ll see some things you’ll like.
Thanks, there are some good photos on 1st look. I will look more later.

American classicist. military historian. And farmer. Yeah that’s pretty cool. I’d like that in a bar in response to “what do you do.”

Oh my goodness I’m sorry to hear of your breakup. What did your boyfriend do?
Managed an enterprise car rental store.
Ah. Great.
What do you do?
Me? Oh. Ha. A few things actually. It’s a little odd. I’m an American classicist. Military historian. And a farmer hahaha. Yes two more dirty martinis. Yes. Tab.
Please tell me you made that part up about what the new husband/son-in-law does.

Hillsdale College has free online classes. They will hit you up for donations, but they are free. One is WW2 taught by VDH. I think I am going to sign up.

I really think this kind of stuff is exciting for the future of education. Once people reach a certain age and can handle it, I think this is a game changer for many subjects.

Now for some, it obviously can't be the only tool. Philosophy is a subject that needs back and forth testing of the arguments, discussion with peers or profs, etc. But this could be a much superior way to introduce material, refine it, and provide unlimited access.

Ultimately, I see college--and maybe some highschool--structured so that you essentially watch the lectures and read material outside of class and then use class time to talk about them, test them, and dive deeper into stuff. Many philosophy classes I had were structured like this, but this would have made them even better.

DANC or CoH: are you really VDH?

Reactions: DANC
When does it start? Let's flood this class with WC participants.
It is a learn on your own, so the class is just recorded lectures. I just signed up for it. There are 7 sections with 7 quizzes and a final. If I knew how this worked, I would see what grade I get on the quizzes without watching the videos. I'd hate to do it, fail a quiz (I doubt that happens) and get booted.

Please tell me you made that part up about what the new husband/son-in-law does.
Those clowns get an area and make more than most lawyers. Sad. Climb climb climb and end up loaded by 40. I have a buddy who retired from there at 54. They’re all just dumb car guys too. A Bach from anywhere. That’s all ya need. But they work hard

Those clowns get an area and make more than most lawyers. Sad. Climb climb climb and end up loaded by 40. I have a buddy who retired from there at 54. They’re all just dumb car guys too. A Bach from anywhere. That’s all ya need. But they work hard
Are you kidding me?

It is a learn on your own, so the class is just recorded lectures. I just signed up for it. There are 7 sections with 7 quizzes and a final. If I knew how this worked, I would see what grade I get on the quizzes without watching the videos. I'd hate to do it, fail a quiz (I doubt that happens) and get booted.
Let us know who won.....

Seriously, I've wanted to sign up for a Hillsdale course for a while and just never did.

Let us know who won.....

Seriously, I've wanted to sign up for a Hillsdale course for a while and just never did.
@Marvin the Martian and @DANC uh oh. A private conservative Christian liberal arts college WITH A 24% ACCEPTANCE RATE!!! IU is probably 80 something percent.

I don’t see you two getting admitted.

@CO. Hoosier you got any offerings these two like at COH U?

I've heard you need to take a class on the Constitution, too.

That's a real no-go right there.

They do have a free online class on the Constitution. I may take it just to see how much time they devoted to the 14th before it became a cool topic.

@Marvin the Martian and @DANC uh oh. A private conservative Christian liberal arts college WITH A 24% ACCEPTANCE RATE!!! IU is probably 80 something percent.

I don’t see you two getting admitted.

@CO. Hoosier you got any offerings these two like at COH U?

Im offering a course in beginning constitutional law.

il_1588xN.4319568137_par1.jpg

Im offering a course in beginning constitutional law.

il_1588xN.4319568137_par1.jpg
Offer a psychology course for those who are under the spell of trump. There’s a handful on here who cant talk about anything else. Jan 6 was like the holocaust to them. So stupid lol

The things you think are entertaining...you do a lot of rubbernecking when driving, don't you?
how else would we know what's shakin with 80 sitcom stars. i'll take htat over the incessant

oh trump is bad
oh jan 6. we mustn't forget
oh trump is a threat to democracy. absurd. most of the law school grads here don't even believe that nonsense. half the country thinks biden is an equal threat to democracy.

let's hear what biden is going to do to bring down the cost of, well, everything. what he's going to do prevent a woke relapse and the attendant consequences of same. on and on and on.

Ultimately, I see college--and maybe some highschool--structured so that you essentially watch the lectures and read material outside of class and then use class time to talk about them, test them, and dive deeper into stuff. Many philosophy classes I had were structured like this, but this would have made them even better.
That's basically how A201 and 202 were back in the last half of the 80s. You went to class, and they turned on a video, then had some actual human interaction after that. Worked just fine for accounting where everyone was basically adverse to talking to other people anyway.

Ultimately, I see college--and maybe some highschool--structured so that you essentially watch the lectures and read material outside of class and then use class time to talk about them, test them, and dive deeper into stuff.
elon musk always says same. there's some law school where you do that third year. work at a firm and do everything largely outside of class. northeastern maybe. i can't remember

Reactions: BradStevens
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT