ADVERTISEMENT

State of the Hoosiers, August

Braden and Fletcher played great against MSU last year. Hell, Loyer basically won the game for Purdue at MSU. Both guys were Honorable Mention all Big-Ten as true freshman, have Trey or X ever been named that? You'll find out that last season, IU was better because JHS was moved on the ball... due to X's injury.
Well, those two guards could still not get them past a 16 seed, so I don’t place too much stock in their all-B10 selections

Meant to ask, what are you basing your assessments on: talking with a player(s) or coach?
JHS was drafted largely on potential rather than performance as he made a shit-ton of freshman mistakes and was wildly inconsistent as a scorer. Per usual, your analysis/assessments aren't worth spit.
JHS was second team all BIG and big ten freshman of the year.

JHS was second team all BIG and big ten freshman of the year.
And was so inconsistent he only had a 14.4 PER in conference play.

With the monster games he had, that means he had just as many or more horrible non productive games. Inconsistency was easily his biggest issue..

He was drafted on potential, skill set and measurables... not because of stat production.

But, the ability to lead a team, dictate pace and play the in-between game of a PnR and DHO, was what got him into the first round. In those areas he generally excelled ..

When was the last season that went "better" than expected? Considerably better. I think we are due for one. Cupps is AAU seasoned against big time talent. He's gonna be more than solid if needed. Gunn is talented, you can tell by the way he moves on the court. Last year was an outlier for him. I expect a surprise year from him, maybe even Oladipo-esque. Our front line will buy in on D first and when it all shakes down on the O end, look out. IU is due. The wildcard in my book is: Can CMW put it all together? A ton of pieces here.

When was the last season that went "better" than expected? Considerably better. I think we are due for one. Cupps is AAU seasoned against big time talent. He's gonna be more than solid if needed. Gunn is talented, you can tell by the way he moves on the court. Last year was an outlier for him. I expect a surprise year from him, maybe even Oladipo-esque. Our front line will buy in on D first and when it all shakes down on the O end, look out. IU is due. The wildcard in my book is: Can CMW put it all together? A ton of pieces here.
Last year many overlooked or dismissed Galloway before the Season began, this year the same seems to be true of Banks, who for my money brought a hell of a lot more game last year than Gunn. If I had to bet on any among Malik, CJ & Kaleb making a 'jump', I'd take Banks, although I do expect Malik to show significant improvement.

Looking at the roster, Woodson seems to have upgraded IU's frontcourt athleticism and potential beyond anything in recent memory. A previously heralded seven-footer, three 6'9" veterans, a 6'8" five-star freshman and a gritty Banks at 6'7". Damn. That's a lot for Xavier and the backcourt to work with and should improve IU's rebounding stats on both ends.

Regarding the backcourt, would that IU had another veteran guard to add some depth and playmaking experience. X and Trey can't be out there all the time and unless Newton and Cupps exceed their billing as freshmen, that just leaves Leal and CJ to carry the load. Expect Woodson will get it sorted but still wish IU had another proven backcourt threat/playmaker.

Last year many overlooked or dismissed Galloway before the Season began, this year the same seems to be true of Banks, who for my money brought a hell of a lot more game last year than Gunn. If I had to bet on any among Malik, CJ & Kaleb making a 'jump', I'd take Banks, although I do expect Malik to show significant improvement.

Looking at the roster, Woodson seems to have upgraded IU's frontcourt athleticism and potential beyond anything in recent memory. A previously heralded seven-footer, three 6'9" veterans, a 6'8" five-star freshman and a gritty Banks at 6'7". Damn. That's a lot for Xavier and the backcourt to work with and should improve IU's rebounding stats on both ends.

Regarding the backcourt, would that IU had another veteran guard to add some depth and playmaking experience. X and Trey can't be out there all the time and unless Newton and Cupps exceed their billing as freshmen, that just leaves Leal and CJ to carry the load. Expect Woodson will get it sorted but still wish IU had another proven backcourt threat/playmaker.
Rumor is Newt might RS. That would really suck. 11 scholarship players with one being AL who doesn’t seem to get much of a shot with CMW.

Rumor is Newt might RS. That would really suck. 11 scholarship players with one being AL who doesn’t seem to get much of a shot with CMW.
Would that because he's still rehabbing his knee? Looks to have the body and handle to contribute in D1. Unless he just needs the time to figure out the college-level game and requisite defensive adjustments, don't see him sitting a year with IU's backcourt depth being what it is.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
And was so inconsistent he only had a 14.4 PER in conference play.

With the monster games he had, that means he had just as many or more horrible non productive games. Inconsistency was easily his biggest issue..

He was drafted on potential, skill set and measurables... not because of stat production.

But, the ability to lead a team, dictate pace and play the in-between game of a PnR and DHO, was what got him into the first round. In those areas he generally excelled ..
Yes, but I’m answering to that we didn’t have much else from TJD. I like JHS game a lot more than X’s game. We will see how good X is in year 6 because we will need a playmaker from the perimeter.

Would that because he's still rehabbing his knee? Looks to have the body and handle to contribute in D1. Unless he just needs the time to figure out the college-level game and requisite defensive adjustments, don't see him sitting a year with IU's backcourt depth being what it is.
Yes. Speculation he’s not close to healthy yet. Nothing to do with ability, size, handle, or anything else.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Lol. Ydgaf. Did you read that article? 2 games define him? He got drafted because of potential. He was below average defensively but that doesn’t define him.
Yeah because the NBA drafts below average defensive 6’5 point guards in the first round. Where do some of you come up with this nonsense?

Stop parroting Cav. He doesn’t like Schifino. He must have laughed at his attempt to drop the NIL peanuts he eventually paid to Bates.

Schifino had to do way too much as a freshman and if you think his D is below average, I can’t help you.

Yeah because the NBA drafts below average defensive 6’5 point guards in the first round. Where do some of you come up with this nonsense?

Stop parroting Cav. He doesn’t like Schifino. He must have laughed at his attempt to drop the NIL peanuts he eventually paid to Bates.

Schifino had to do way too much as a freshman and if you think his D is below average, I can’t help you.
You’re a moron. I loved JHS. I just gave footage for a Gatorade commercial with Jalen. https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cvife-ZNT4K/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

He wasn’t a good defender or passer last year. Because he got drafted means him throwing lobs into the second row was Jason Kidd like? ROYALTY. What a dumbass.

You get drafted on potential, and when I said jalen was a for sure one and done about 3 games into the season, I didn’t hear you crying to your girlfriends that I hate him, Viv.

You’re a moron. I loved JHS. I just gave footage for a Gatorade commercial with Jalen. https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cvife-ZNT4K/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

He wasn’t a good defender or passer last year. Because he got drafted means him throwing lobs into the second row was Jason Kidd like? ROYALTY. What a dumbass.

You get drafted on potential, and when I said jalen was a for sure one and done about 3 games into the season, I didn’t hear you crying to your girlfriends that I hate him, Viv.
A point guard gets drafted in the first round and you say he’s not a good passer then I’m the dumbass?

OK

A point guard gets drafted in the first round and you say he’s not a good passer then I’m the dumbass?

OK
Who is a better passer X or JHS right now. Is it close?

Do you think it matters that he was a first round pick on who is better right now at defense? Again who is better him or X. It isn’t close.

Do you think it matters that he was a first round pick on who is better right now at defense? Again who is better him or X. It isn’t close.
I would take JHS over X every day of the week. Let’s be honest, if X was so good he wouldn’t t be in college for 6 years.

Wtf are you babbling about?

Reactions: The Vid
I would take JHS over X every day of the week. Let’s be honest, if X was so good he wouldn’t t be in college for 6 years.
You are moron too. Lol. JHS has the upside. Nowhere near a finished product. X is close to his ceiling but a way better defender than JHS. That’s what we are talking about. If you idiots would look at the original topic it was defense. Not passing, not shooting it was defense. Now stfu about it. 🤣🤦🏻

Imagine comparing Xavier Johnson to a borderline lottery 6’6 NBA point guard.

LMAO

Galloway was a much better defender than JHS last year.

Now what are you gonna do that I compared your pin up boy in the basement to JHS. Decisions decisions!!!

We did. You two took it to a life of its own. Read better, comprehend better. It’s his defense….say it with me….
With most things equal, being guarded by a 6’2 player vs 6’6 is just a different deal. There are cases where a 6’2 player can guard better than a 6’6 guy but this ain’t one of them.

Most of you have no idea what this means so just keep babbling.

With most things equal, being guarded by a 6’2 player vs 6’6 is just a different deal. There are cases where a 6’2 player can guard better than a 6’6 guy but this ain’t one of them.

Most of you have no idea what this means so just keep babbling.
Oops my post above was suppose to be to you, not to smitty. Good look on the same side as him LOL.

So now do Galloway. Exact same size as JHS, no chance of every being a NBA player, and your wet dream hero.

He was head and shoulders better than JHS at D last year. Not even close.

Galloway was a much better defender than JHS last year.

Now what are you gonna do that I compared your pin up boy in the basement to JHS. Decisions decisions!!!
If you could track Treys defensive performance when JHS was on the bench AND Trey had to run the point on the other end I would bet they are about the same. I’ll leave that to the Excel nerds on this board who think they can re-invent basketball by crunching numbers.

Then factor in he’s 2 inches taller. Easy answer.

If you could track Treys defensive performance when JHS was on the bench AND Trey had to run the point on the other end I would bet they are about the same. I’ll leave that to the Excel nerds on this board who think they can re-invent basketball by crunching numbers.

They are the same height numnuts. I was with them when they got professionally measured for suits by a tailor. Exact same size.

Oops my post above was suppose to be to you, not to smitty. Good look on the same side as him LOL.

So now do Galloway. Exact same size as JHS, no chance of every being a NBA player, and your wet dream hero.

LOL.

Look dude I’m trying to drain these free beers in a Wrigley box hoping to avoid a rain delay.

Can you go buzz around someone else’s nuts for a few hours?

LOL.

Look dude I’m trying to drain these free beers in a Wrigley box hoping to avoid a rain delay.

Can you go buzz around someone else’s nuts for a few hours?
You literally called me out by name and start posting hogshit. Not my fault you can’t handle your alcohol Viv.

Oh JHS measured 6’4 and 1/4 at the combine. If you like facts that might interest you.

Reactions: rsomm
You literally called me out by name and start posting hogshit. Not my fault you can’t handle your alcohol Viv.

Oh JHS measured 6’4 and 1/4 at the combine. If you like facts that might interest you.
Just got here so I’m stone sober.

What’s X’s true height, 5’11?

Have a nice day

I don’t understand why some are having a hard time with this. We all saw what X did 2 years ago. We saw what JHS did last year. If you need a reminder go look at the season stats. Statistically I would argue that X was better 2 years ago than JHS was last year. That is not a knock on JHS. At the end of the year 2 years ago, X looked like one of the best pgs in the Big. 18 year old MJ was not 23 year old MJ. X being better at 23/24 has zero bearing on draft status. X is near his ceiling currently and JHS is near his floor. NBA 100% drafts on where they think you will be, not where you are. See Edey and TJDs draft spots. Both POY candidates. NBA doesn’t give a crap how you play today, but what they think you will be 5 years from now.

Well if height matters why did Purdue get smoked by mites. What a stupid argument. You are dumber than I thought.

You are moron too. Lol. JHS has the upside. Nowhere near a finished product. X is close to his ceiling but a way better defender than JHS. That’s what we are talking about. If you idiots would look at the original topic it was defense. Not passing, not shooting it was defense. Now stfu about it. 🤣🤦🏻
You are an absolute ****ing asshole. God damn I would love to see you in person.

• Love
Reactions: Victorbmyboy

Sorry hype man. How’s Bates doing?

Sorry hype man. How’s Bates doing?
I think he will start for mizzu. I would love to have him on our team this year, but he wanted to be the star. Didn’t fit for IU. Could still be good. We will see this year.

I don’t understand why some are having a hard time with this. We all saw what X did 2 years ago. We saw what JHS did last year. If you need a reminder go look at the season stats. Statistically I would argue that X was better 2 years ago than JHS was last year. That is not a knock on JHS. At the end of the year 2 years ago, X looked like one of the best pgs in the Big. 18 year old MJ was not 23 year old MJ. X being better at 23/24 has zero bearing on draft status. X is near his ceiling currently and JHS is near his floor. NBA 100% drafts on where they think you will be, not where you are. See Edey and TJDs draft spots. Both POY candidates. NBA doesn’t give a crap how you play today, but what they think you will be 5 years from now.
We were below .500 in conference with X as our primary ball handler in the full year he had with us.

I think he will start for mizzu. I would love to have him on our team this year, but he wanted to be the star. Didn’t fit for IU. Could still be good. We will see this year.
Have you watched them scrimmage this year? A buddy of mine was watching them scrimmage and he said he wasn’t impressed with Ware. Said he thinks Sparks is tougher and a better scorer. Also said MM will be a problem. Enjoy him for the year.

Reactions: susyq
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT