ADVERTISEMENT

State of the Hoosiers, August

Cavanagh

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2012
Team just got done with an 8 week summer stent mainly focusing on strength. This group of guys will be the hardest working team we have had in a long while. The players have actually been told multiple times to stop working out. The stamina and conditioning will be second to none.

Sounds like Payton is the real deal. Expect him to play a lot. True big with B1G strength and great finishing ability. I expect 1st off the bench for Malik or Ware.

KB has shown a jump, I think he has progressed more than CJ at this point. Things can change, but KB is looking like the 7th man right now.

Mack is the real deal, I expect him to be our leading scorer and 1st round pick. Our ceiling is gonna depend on him and Ware.

X is a grown ass man. Been fun watching him mature. If you don’t do dumb shit, you can’t learn from it. X will show everyone what a great leader he is this year. The work gym rat mentality starts with him, they all follow. No question who the leader is.

Team just got done with an 8 week summer stent mainly focusing on strength. This group of guys will be the hardest working team we have had in a long while. The players have actually been told multiple times to stop working out. The stamina and conditioning will be second to none.

Sounds like Payton is the real deal. Expect him to play a lot. True big with B1G strength and great finishing ability. I expect 1st off the bench for Malik or Ware.

KB has shown a jump, I think he has progressed more than CJ at this point. Things can change, but KB is looking like the 7th man right now.

Mack is the real deal, I expect him to be our leading scorer and 1st round pick. Our ceiling is gonna depend on him and Ware.

X is a grown ass man. Been fun watching him mature. If you don’t do dumb shit, you can’t learn from it. X will show everyone what a great leader he is this year. The work gym rat mentality starts with him, they all follow. No question who the leader is.
Hope you're right about all of that.

Per your assessment on Trey earlier, which I mostly agree with...I think we need Cupps and/or CJ to step up and earn some minutes. If they don't, and if Trey doesn't improve much, we'll have exactly 1 playmaking ball handler.

Might be why Woody was hosting that kid from Air Force.

Guard play is going to be the question with this team.
Xavier, Trey, CJ and Cupps is all we got as far as guards

Where did Antonio Reeves end up? I know he was going to summer school to graduate and be eligible to transfer.

A bit befuddled that a $20k NIL offer wasn't made to a grad transfer Jamal Meeks type that adds the option of some experienced ball handling off the bench just in case an injury and/or foul trouble rears its ugly head.

Reactions: bsmitty08

I struggled with those who thought Sparks wouldn’t be good enough to contribute… if a MAC conference all freshman honoree … wasn’t good enough to contribute in the big ten then … Woody needed thicker glasses and and we would be looking at a first four trip to Dayton.

I expect IU to compete for a conference title. The offense won’t stuff the ball to post… Ware has a face up body type.

I struggled with those who thought Sparks wouldn’t be good enough to contribute… if a MAC conference all freshman honoree … wasn’t good enough to contribute in the big ten then … Woody needed thicker glasses and and we would be looking at a first four trip to Dayton.

I expect IU to compete for a conference title. The offense won’t stuff the ball to post… Ware has a face up body type.
This team will not be better than last year and last years team didn’t compete for a title. I hope we do but I don’t think we have the guards to do anything special this year

Thanks for post!

This team will not be better than last year and last years team didn’t compete for a title. I hope we do but I don’t think we have the guards to do anything special this year
Yes, X’s and other injuries proved too much to compete for a title.
And, it’s hard to argue that there are two ‘24 NBA draft choices on today’s roster.
X will be special enough. I think IU will find a reliable 3 pt threat, as a complement.

Reactions: 76-1 and Willdog7
says the resident pessimist -
Cavanagh is on to something... paraphrasing here - Hoosier Nation, get ready for what could be a very special season for Indiana basketball! After a summer of grindstone workouts, this year's squad is poised to turn heads in the Big Ten and nationally.

Poised for his breakout freshman campaign, Mackenzie Mgbako has wowed in offseason scrimmages. His versatile scoring ability and next-level athleticism have many believing he could be a first team All-Big Ten performer and future lottery pick.

Joining Mgbako is a cast of talented newcomers and key returners ready to step up. Payton Sparks, a 6'8" post presence, has quickly acclimated to Big Ten (B1G) basketball and is set to provide major production down low. Fans are also raving about Kel'el Ware's immense potential as a rim protector and lob threat.

Star point guard Xavier Johnson will play his sixth season after being granted a medical hardship waiver by the NCAA. Even without Trayce Jackson-Davis, who was drafted by the Warriors, Xavier is motivated to lead the Hoosiers back to the top. Kaleb Banks and CJ Gunn are also poised for breakout seasons after showing great development over the summer.

With an elite recruiting class and key veterans, this Indiana team seems poised for a special run. As Coach Woodson said, "Get on board Hoosier Nation, we're just getting started!" Go Hoosiers!

Yes, X’s and other injuries proved too much to compete for a title.
And, it’s hard to argue that there are two ‘24 NBA draft choices on today’s roster.
X will be special enough. I think IU will find a reliable 3 pt threat, as a complement.
I hope you are right but I don’t see it this year

• Angry
Reactions: Willdog7
says the resident pessimist -
Cavanagh is on to something... paraphrasing here - Hoosier Nation, get ready for what could be a very special season for Indiana basketball! After a summer of grindstone workouts, this year's squad is poised to turn heads in the Big Ten and nationally.

Poised for his breakout freshman campaign, Mackenzie Mgbako has wowed in offseason scrimmages. His versatile scoring ability and next-level athleticism have many believing he could be a first team All-Big Ten performer and future lottery pick.

Joining Mgbako is a cast of talented newcomers and key returners ready to step up. Payton Sparks, a 6'8" post presence, has quickly acclimated to Big Ten (B1G) basketball and is set to provide major production down low. Fans are also raving about Kel'el Ware's immense potential as a rim protector and lob threat.

Star point guard Xavier Johnson will play his sixth season after being granted a medical hardship waiver by the NCAA. Even without Trayce Jackson-Davis, who was drafted by the Warriors, Xavier is motivated to lead the Hoosiers back to the top. Kaleb Banks and CJ Gunn are also poised for breakout seasons after showing great development over the summer.

With an elite recruiting class and key veterans, this Indiana team seems poised for a special run. As Coach Woodson said, "Get on board Hoosier Nation, we're just getting started!" Go Hoosiers!
I’m not being pessimistic here, just being a realist. Guard play is a serious concern. Front court depth is very good. A lot of Wild cards for sure. Ware…can he play to his potential( didnt last year), can MK become a perimeter threat? Who steps up besides Xavier in the back court? Can Xavier stay healthy?

It’s laughable that some think ball handling is some huge issue for this team.

Ball handling this year vs last

X > anyone on last years team
Cupps > anyone on last years team
Galloway > anyone except JHS from last years team
Gunn likely > Bates last year
MM and Banks likely > Kopp last year

Oh and btw if Newton plays > anyone except JHS from last years team.

If ball handling is an issue it will be because of injuries and not lack of planning. This team is stacked with ball handling at almost every position. Some of them are just young.

If ball handling is an issue it will be because of injuries and not lack of planning. This team is stacked with ball handling at almost every position. Some of them are just young.
Laughable????

Unless Gunn has a massively HUGE leap, which I hope is the case, we are not close be being “stacked“ at the 2.

At the 1? If X goes down are we really confident that Cupps is ready? I’m excited he is on the team but who knows how good he will be his freshman year. I hope I’m wrong but think we are potentially vulnerable on the perimeter. Hope X and Trey stay healthy.

Laughable????

Unless Gunn has a massively HUGE leap, which I hope is the case, we are not close be being “stacked“ at the 2.

At the 1? If X goes down are we really confident that Cupps is ready? I’m excited he is on the team but who knows how good he will be his freshman year. I hope I’m wrong but think we are potentially vulnerable on the perimeter. Hope X and Trey stay healthy.
Yes laughable. The argument was ball handling. I agree Gunn needs a leap to be ready because of other aspects of his game…. Primarily the ability to hit a shot in a game situation.

My argument was that we have a ton more ball handling than last year. In fact I believe we will have better ball handling and creating off the bounce at 4 of 5 starting positions. TJDs ability to handle at the 5 being the only dip.

Now in a separate argument I agree that after Galloway the 2 spot is thin especially if Newton can’t play. But I have 100% confidence in Galloway who will likely play 30+ mmg at the 2 if nobody else can play well. And unlike others I am not upset at all about the lack of a 2 guard transfer. I don’t think anyone was taking Galloways starting spot and few want to transfer to be a backup. I hope that it all shows that Gunn has taken a step and we will be fine.

Last edited:

We’ll guard play was our weakness last year and will be again this year

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
We’ll guard play was our weakness last year and will be again this year
I agree with last year. We did have a 4th year all American at the 5 and a 6th year guy at the 4 so it was sort of expected that after X went down it would be the weakest part of our team. This year I highly doubt unless X or Galloway go down it is the weakest part of our team.

So many new faces. Have to determine roles. I'm expecting struggles against good teams early, improvement through conf play, and if all goes well they become a tough team to beat late. Anything more than that is cake. Tale as old as time.

Reactions: boomer33 and 76-1
I agree with last year. We did have a 4th year all American at the 5 and a 6th year guy at the 4 so it was sort of expected that after X went down it would be the weakest part of our team. This year I highly doubt unless X or Galloway go down it is the weakest part of our team.
The strength will be an athletic front court with depth. Guard play/perimeter play will be the question mark

The strength will be an athletic front court with depth. Guard play/perimeter play will be the question mark
X and Trey will both push for one of the All Big Ten teams. I think backcourt depth is a very big question mark, but I think you're misrepresenting how good our starting backcourt is by your constant doomsday outlook posts towards them. Assuming they both stay healthy all year...X could be the best PG in the conference. Trey could be one of the better, more versatile off guards in the conference...maybe even push for the best if he can shoot it anywhere near what he did last year. Even if X ends up something like 3rd team, and Trey gets honorable mention...that's a damn good backcourt.

Depth is a concern though. I don't think its a huge concern, but that's where the big question marks come in. In a long season, we probably will need at least 1 guy to step up and be as good or better than their projections say they will be. I fully believe Newton would have been that guy if he were healthy. Now, I think Cupps will end up playing a major role at some point. And I think he'll be ready for that.

Yes laughable. The argument was ball handling. I agree Gunn needs a leap to be ready because of other aspects of his game…. Primarily the ability to hit a shot in a game situation.

My argument was that we have a ton more ball handling than last year. In fact I believe we will have better ball handling and creating off the bounce at 4 of 5 starting positions. TJDs ability to handle at the 5 being the only dip.

Now in a separate argument I agree that after Galloway the 2 spot is thin especially if Newton can’t play. But I have 100% confidence in Galloway who will likely play 30+ mmg at the 2 if nobody else can play well. And unlike others I am not upset at all about the lack of a 2 guard transfer. I don’t think anyone was taking Galloways starting spot and few want to transfer to be a backup. I hope that it all shows that Gunn has taken a step and we will be fine.
Agree with this and while most of the discussion has been around the offense, I think this team could be very good defensively if they all buy in. Outside of TJD's rim protection, we were an average defensive team last year, especially guarding the perimeter. Woody has always said defense first, I expect good things.

Agree with this and while most of the discussion has been around the offense, I think this team could be very good defensively if they all buy in. Outside of TJD's rim protection, we were an average defensive team last year, especially guarding the perimeter. Woody has always said defense first, I expect good things.
Defense will end up being the main determining factor in how good we can be, in my opinion.

X and Trey need to be very good out top. We do switch a lot of screening action, so obviously others need to be able to guard the ball as well. But if those 2 guys are getting beat early in possessions, we're going to be relying on Mack and Malik to rotate a lot and help effectively. A freshman, and a guy that struggled in that regard last year, could be a problem. I think Ware could erase some stuff, but he's only 1 guy.

Before X got hurt last year, our defense was either dominant, or it stunk. After he got hurt, outside a couple games, it largely just stunk. Most lamented our lack of shooting (despite us being a very good outside shooting team). But it was our defense that held us back. Any team that had 3-4 good, fast, perimeter oriented guys, with multiple guys that could shoot, usually hurt us. How different does the season look if we're better defensively and either split with or Sweep Penn State and Iowa? We were actually pretty close to being a B10/Final Four contender, and our inability to guard the perimeter consistently well was the difference.

X is a lot better defender than JHS, so that'll help.

Trey not having to start possessions guarding PGs, will help him play longer periods of time off the ball, which is more his strength defensively, so that'll help.

When comparing the front court...I don't think you can effectively do a Kopp vs Mack, Thompson vs Ware or Malik...TJD vs...etc... We switch pretty much any action that happens, so I think you just compare the overall capabilities, as much as anything.

Kopp was very slow, but very solid in his positioning. We got virtually nothing out of him on the boards. But he rotated well, was nearly always in the right spot.

Thompson showed versatility in being able to guard all over the floor. He rebounded very well, overall. But he had stretches of play where he "lost his damned mind", for whatever reason. He got beat badly at key moments, he spaced and totally lost players, didn't get back at times, etc... All in all, he was a good, versatile defender. But his struggles impacted some of our losses.

TJD...hard to find a critique. He was awesome. He protected the rim well, he rebounded well, he switched out and guarded perimeter players well.

Mack...no clue? The size and athleticism is a great starting point though. He has mixed reviews on his defense, coming in to college. But I suspect he'll be more active than Kopp was on the boards, probably will get lost like Thompson did from time to time, he'll be more capable of guarding faster wing players, at times, but won't be in the right spots nearly as often as Kopp was.

Ware...should be a high level defender. He's taller/longer than anyone we've had in recent memory. He's fluid, he attacks blocked shot opportunities well, and he rebounds well out of his own space. I doubt he'll be as good a defender, overall, as TJD was, but it won't be a huge dropoff. I suspect he'll be better, overall, than Thompson was though.

Malik...interesting one. He showed some promise for stretches last year, in being able to guard bigs and wings. His main problem was guarding without fouling. We're so deep at the bigs positions, that I'm not as worried about that as some are. But if he improves that, I think he could be a similar type and level defender to what Thompson was. Solid, very good and active rebounder. Where I think he could become very valuable for us is his ability to start the transition offense off rebounds. He's got a pretty good handle, but showed a knack for being good outlet passer.

Bench...Bates and Geronimo mainly versus, Walker, Sparks, Banks, and maybe Cupps. I think this year's bench is A LOT better defensively...

All in all...I'll be surprised if we're not better defensively than last year. If Mack buys in on that end of the floor, and if a guy like Banks earns big minutes, we could be elite...and if that happens, our ceiling becomes very lofty, in my opinion.

I’m not being pessimistic here, just being a realist. Guard play is a serious concern. Front court depth is very good. A lot of Wild cards for sure. Ware…can he play to his potential( didnt last year), can MK become a perimeter threat? Who steps up besides Xavier in the back court? Can Xavier stay healthy?
You can ask similar kinds of questions of just about any other team, pre-season. Nobody's perfect going in. Any team can sustain an impactful injury to a player. At this point, I think we are looking good and imho appeared to have a deeper roster. And there's a very good chance Woody will be adding guard depth.

LOL! Pessimists always say they're not but they're realists. I've been reading your posts for years now and you are a pessimist. That's OK but own it. ;)

Actually if you have been reading for years, then my “pessimism” was accurate. We haven’t won anything

You say you are a realist not a pessimist so let's go to google.

Realist

a person who accepts a situation as it is and is prepared to deal with it accordingly.

Pessimist

a person who tends to see the worst aspect of things or believe that the worst will happen.

For you, I will go with the latter and I would bet most on here would agree.

How often have you seen the team practice? Your comments are encouraging.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT