ADVERTISEMENT

Romeo about to be out of the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.
60% of NBA players are broke within five years after retiring. Now I'm sure that's a bankruptcy number, so it's not like these dudes are destitute, but there likely are some who are. (It also doesn't account for those went on to other business interests and were successful.)

The first NBA contract isn't change your life money. It's not. It's fun money.

How many of these players, especially those drafted in the first round with guaranteed contracts, think they aren't getting that next contract?

We'd all hope all of them, especially those we watched grow up, invested and spent wisely, but it's clear a majority of them don't. That's just counting those who went belly up. I'm sure the number is much higher of those who likely pi$$ed money away for 3-4 years but were fortunate enough to get that second and third long term contract. Even some of those guys went broke too.

$15M in your early 20's isn't change your life money. Pulling back on a lifestyle isn't easy.
"$15M in your early 20's isn't change your life money." This is one of the dumbest statements I've seen on this site. $15M is absolutely life changing $. Those that choose to waste that life changing money are idiots. But make no mistake, if they are smart with that $15M, they will never have to work again 2nd NBA contract or not.

I don't even look at Tamar's 3 shooting. He had to be among the very worst drivers of the ball to the rim that IU has had. He just had such a hard time finishing a drive. I don't know if it was a coordination issue, bad hands, lack of concentration or what. He reminded me of Geronimo taking it to the rack. Not pretty.
There’s a reason no one has ever seen Geronimo in a fine china shop.

"$15M in your early 20's isn't change your life money." This is one of the dumbest statements I've seen on this site. $15M is absolutely life changing $. Those that choose to waste that life changing money are idiots. But make no mistake, if they are smart with that $15M, they will never have to work again 2nd NBA contract or not.
"He DiDn'T AcTuAlLy POcKeT $15 MillON, So THerEForE iT's JUsT FuN MOneY"

-Bloom, probably

There is no chance romeo will provide for his family for the rest of his life based off this money only.
Are you close with Romeo? Based on the way you rip him, I would guess not.
Assuming you aren't close with Romeo, you have no way of knowing anything regarding his current financial situation. This is a dumb as Bloom's post.

Are you close with Romeo? Based on the way you rip him, I would guess not.
Assuming you aren't close with Romeo, you have no way of knowing anything regarding his current financial situation. This is a dumb as Bloom's post.
He gives money to IU players so he knows how young athletes in their twenties spend money. Duh.

Reactions: ulrey
For f***s sake, you can't define "life-changing" money. For someone struggling to feed his or her family, that might mean $100; for someone who wishes to live a lavish lifestyle, it might be $100 million.
It might, but it's not sustainable. The Langfords weren't struggling to be fed.

But he doesn't have $15M, never did, and 60% of players in the NBA are broke within five years after they retire.

It's fun money for a few years. I certainly hope he can find some traction in the NBA, but my secondary hope is that his parents' home is paid for and he continues to pursue his degree. That's enough for some.

Right now his NBA career is hanging by a thread, and given the numbers, most of these guys, who are uncommonly confident in themselves, spend like more money is on the way. You probably would be too if you were them at that age.

Bates recruiting ranking would have him at Terrance Shannon type expectations as a player. actually, turned out to be a pretty bad player. only skill he had was as a streaky spot up shooter. he will be bounced from Mizzou next year.

Final Four teams with OAD kids have been pretty rare. Obviously there are very notable exceptions...Carmelo/Syracuse, UK, Duke... But for every one of those teams, their are 10+ that are led by guys that are either upperclassmen, or will return the following year.

I think the combination of the Transfer Portal, and NIL, is new enough that the verdict is still out on the impact of older transfers. But as of today, I'd view them similarly to OAD kids. Obviously you can win with a team made up with a significant number of them. But its unlikely you'll make a FF and/or win a Natty.
Thank goodness the Hoosiers had Keith Smart and Dean Garrett as juco transfers, otherwise the Hoosiers would not have won the 1987 championship. I would say they were pretty impactful.

Reactions: kkott
But he doesn't have $15M, never did, and 60% of players in the NBA are broke within five years after they retire.

It's fun money for a few years. I certainly hope he can find some traction in the NBA, but my secondary hope is that his parents' home is paid for and he continues to pursue his degree. That's enough for some.

Right now his NBA career is hanging by a thread, and given the numbers, most of these guys, who are uncommonly confident in themselves, spend like more money is on the way. You probably would be too if you were them at that age.
you keep saying 60 percent are broke 5 years after retirement. where did that come from? will bet you a million to 1 60 percent of 1st round draft picks aren't broke in 5 years.

Backing up a dumb post with another dumb post is, well, dumb. $15M at any age is life changing $. Romeo may well waste the money as many NBA players do, but he also may be one of the smart ones and the $15M will last him a lifetime.

You're arguing semantics.

If you can blow $9 million you can blow $15 million just as you can easily blow $100 million.

There comes a threshold where you earn enough money that you no longer have to worry (assuming done in moderation and invested properly) about working every day to provide for you and your family and the roughly $8-10 million dollars that Romeo has netted certainly crosses that threshold.

The average American adult makes $70k a year which roughly translates to working for 142 years to earn the kind of money that Langford has made in just 4 short years. Think about that?

There's no argument that somebody could very easily blow $8-10 million dollars in a short period of time, but it's also a mathematically certainty, that done right, $8-10 million would ensure you'd never have to work another day in your life, thus changing the outlook of your life completely.

And if after all that you still can't comprehend, well hell.

Last edited:
I would assume it's this tho I do not have a dog in this fight.

that was quoted from 2008, the money has grown wildly since then. and so has the players association getting involved with educating players. bet you Kirk Haston's rookie deal as a 1st round pick was less than 3 mil Romeos was over 17 mil. if Romeo Langford ever declares bankruptcy in his life, he should be considered a financial dumbass. also, that is factoring in players who may have 2-way contracts or maybe stick in the league for a very short time.

Backing up a dumb post with another dumb post is, well, dumb. $15M at any age is life changing $. Romeo may well waste the money as many NBA players do, but he also may be one of the smart ones and the $15M will last him a lifetime.
Wasting would mean it didn't change his life. Wasting it would mean he's back to where he was.

I hope he was wise enough to save up because, again, 60% of them end up broke.

Reactions: Lucy01
The average American adult makes $70k a year which roughly translates to working for 142 years to earn the kind of money that Langford has made in just 4 short years. Think about that?
Yep.

60% of NBA athletes end up broke within five years after retirement.

You keep replying as if this notion I keep repeating is some sort of anomaly.

You also keep replying as if these young players are mature adults who think their careers could only 3-4 years long.

Keep replying. It won't change 60% of NBA players end up broke within five years after retirement. Based on your persistence, you'd be one of them.

Reactions: Cavanagh
Yep.

60% of NBA athletes end up broke within five years after retirement.

You keep replying as if this notion I keep repeating is some sort of anomaly.

You also keep replying as if these young players are mature adults who think their careers could only 3-4 years long.

Keep replying. It won't change 60% of NBA players end up broke within five years after retirement. Based on your persistence, you'd be one of them.
He’s 80 and cannot fathom some kid blowing that kind of money. That brain of his would explode when he realizes they spend over 1k on a pair of shoes, and $500 on ripped up jeans, and might wear the outfit 2 or 3 times total.

Reactions: Bloom.
He’s 80 and cannot fathom some kid blowing that kind of money. That brain of his would explode when he realizes they spend over 1k on a pair of shoes, and $500 on ripped up jeans, and might wear the outfit 2 or 3 times total.
All on 75k a year? DWS

Let’s hope so on Harper, but don’t give JHS credit for that one just yet. That said, four year players can tout the experience to others just as well as those 5-star one’ers.
I'm not, I'm just giving him credit for promoting IU, and also the fact that Harper credited CMW for getting MM, so he's obviously been watching the program and I feel was referencing in part JHS's comments about his experience here. Go Hoosiers!

Thank goodness the Hoosiers had Keith Smart and Dean Garrett as juco transfers, otherwise the Hoosiers would not have won the 1987 championship. I would say they were pretty impactful.
The portal is still so new, prevalent and impactful, it's really impossible to compare current roster building to teams/seasons older than just a few years.

what other ones have I stated. Enlighten me. And Romeo’s shooting numbers in his college and nba career are atrocious. Tamars percentages improved a lot from FR to sophomore year. People actually think romeo is a better shooter than tamar, hell better than anyone on our current roster? Romeo is a horrific shooter, that’s a fact at this point.
Tamar would have piss running down his leg if he ever stepped onto an NBA court. Forget about putting up a jump shot.

Lol.

$16mil guaranteed is absolutely "change your life money" considering that's more than 99% of every living person on this planet will ever see in a lifetime.

Obviously spending, investing, etc wisely will determine the final outcome, but don't get it twisted, $16mil is absolutely life changing type money and to suggest otherwise is ludicrous.
I generally agree with this take.

Some people like to normalize dumb & crazy just because it’s the current trend.

60%… blah blah, “welp that’s what everyone else did so F it.” Silly then and silly now. Grow up

It's really a circular argument, because you're really arguing two different things. It would be foolish to say it's not life-changing money, almost any way you slice it. Even if they're blowing it, that's a change in their lives to that point. Plus, I'm sure many are making investments (maybe bad ones), rewarding parents and family members, etc... It's life-changing no doubt. You're admitting you're putting qualifiers on what your definition of life-changing is, and in that regard, you too are correct!

Can never resist the opportunity to share former pro soccer player George Best's quote on this subject: "I've spent a fortune on booze, women and fast cars... the rest I've just squandered!". He was the Yogi Berra of derelicts!
It’s life changing money if you don’t blow it. Then again, if you blow it, isn’t that also life changing? Think about it.

Last edited:
I generally agree with this take.

Some people like to normalize dumb & crazy just because it’s the current trend.

60%… blah blah, “welp that’s what everyone else did so F it.” Silly then and silly now. Grow up
Yet it keeps happening.

You think Lance Stephenson is playing in Puerto Rico because he likes to ball?
He grossed $37M.

Yeah, but Fat Joe on the IU forum says it's not real.

Reactions: stollcpa
Yet it keeps happening.

You think Lance Stephenson is playing in Puerto Rico because he likes to ball?
He grossed $37M.

Yeah, but Fat Joe on the IU forum says it's not real.
How someone chooses to allocate life-changing money doesn’t negate the fact that it’s still life-changing money. That’s what’s lost here and something you still can’t grasp.

He could buy 5,000 pairs of $1000 shoes and still not have to worry about working if he invested the other half of his $10 million wisely.

Again, no single late 30’s male still living in his college hometown has any kind of real world perspective on anything. You’ll have to try harder Sean.

Reactions: Ty Webb iu
Again, no single late 30’s male still living in his college hometown has any kind of real world perspective on anything. You’ll have to try harder Sean.
Do you remember when you use to call me Sean because you talked to “friends” in Bloomington about me, and found out who a message board poster was? That was always very cute, appreciate you taking such interest.

You must not have talked to them recently tho. See I just closed on a massive property in Greene county, about 30 minutes from the hall so I’ll still have season tickets and be courtside for the games don’t worry.

I am close to several large scale solar projects that I will be developing over the next 4 years. I got a huge promotion and raise because of it. No clue about young money tho!!!

Keep up geezer, doesn’t that dial up work???

Reactions: stollcpa and kkott
Do you remember when you use to call me Sean because you talked to “friends” in Bloomington about me, and found out who a message board poster was? That was always very cute, appreciate you taking such interest.

You must not have talked to them recently tho. See I just closed on a massive property in Greene county, about 30 minutes from the hall so I’ll still have season tickets and be courtside for the games don’t worry.

I am close to several large scale solar projects that I will be developing over the next 4 years. I got a huge promotion and raise because of it. No clue about young money tho!!!

Keep up geezer, doesn’t that dial up work???
What do you mean I closed on a massive property? For the company or you personally.

You're arguing semantics.

If you can blow $9 million you can blow $15 million just as you can easily blow $100 million.

There comes a threshold where you earn enough money that you no longer have to worry (assuming done in moderation and invested properly) about working every day to provide for you and your family and the roughly $8-10 million dollars that Romeo has netted certainly crosses that threshold.

There's no argument that somebody could very easily blow $8-10 million dollars in a short period of time, but it's also a mathematically certainty, that done right, $8-10 million would ensure you'd never have to work another day in your life, thus changing the outlook of your life completely.

And if after all that you still can't comprehend, well hell.
A modest return of 7% on 8 million is over half a million a year. That is if you spend the whole amount and never have any compound growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT