ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be the 1st school to hire a General Manager?

kurt cloverdales

All-American
Mar 3, 2020
this shit is really getting stupid. next year will be very interesting. we should have a definitive answer if Woodson can coach or not. you have schools like Arkansas UK UofL that literally have 1 or 2 players on their rosters. and its April 16th. will this become like baseball and have scouts out attending games all over the country to see who we try to buy in free agency. Catlin Clark effect was huge, but the women's final drawing 4 million more viewers than the men should be alarming to someone. Indiana St great story, fun team to watch. seasons over whole team and the coach leaves. Would you go back to a sycamore game if you followed them this year. I don't know where this is all heading. do players need to be compensated? yes. should college basketball be a professional sport, hell no.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Even stone cold sober, your posts are a little hard to read. Probably just the old English teacher in me. That said, I agree with everything I think you are saying. As usual.

I'm wondering when the raft of lawsuits against the kids, from NIL consortiums are going to hit.

Some are going to sign, break their word, sign elsewhere... And vice-versa against NIL groups from players. Then they'll rope the schools in also.

Fun times.

I think Woodson will be OK. He's used to free agency and the pro mentality. Hopefully he can channel some of his own school spirit into the guys.

this shit is really getting stupid. next year will be very interesting. we should have a definitive answer if Woodson can coach or not. you have schools like Arkansas UK UofL that literally have 1 or 2 players on their rosters. and its April 16th. will this become like baseball and have scouts out attending games all over the country to see who we try to buy in free agency. Catlin Clark effect was huge, but the women's final drawing 4 million more viewers than the men should be alarming to someone. Indiana St great story, fun team to watch. seasons over whole team and the coach leaves. Would you go back to a sycamore game if you followed them this year. I don't know where this is all heading. do players need to be compensated? yes. should college basketball be a professional sport, hell no.
Must be a disappointing day for you.

Why is it stupid? The money exchange in college basketball has been happening for longer than you or I have been alive. It’s been a fixture all along, but now, it’s out in the open. Of the two choices, I prefer the relative transparency. (The third option is no money being exchanged, but that an unrealistic Pollyanna point of view, and one the IU hasn’t been a part of, despite all the lore.)

I’ve thought for a while now that a general manager would be a welcome adaptation to the current situation. A coach should be able to focus more on coaching, and not have to worry about NIL contracts. Both football and basketball programs could benefit from a GM position. It’s a new world.

Why is it stupid? The money exchange in college basketball has been happening for longer than you or I have been alive. It’s been a fixture all along, but now, it’s out in the open. Of the two choices, I prefer the relative transparency. (The third option is no money being exchanged, but that an unrealistic Pollyanna point of view, and one the IU hasn’t been a part of, despite all the lore.)

I’ve thought for a while now that a general manager would be a welcome adaptation to the current situation. A coach should be able to focus more on coaching, and not have to worry about NIL contracts. Both football and basketball programs could benefit from a GM position. It’s a new world.
it's just not the college basketball I grew up on, really screws the mid majors.

I will be the first to say I dislike the current state of affairs in college sports. I also believe Galloway, Rice, Tucker, Cupps and potentially Carlyle may not shoot it well enough to surround Reneau at the 4 and Ballo at the 5. Defensively I have concerns w Mgbako at the 3 alongside 2 bigs. Schematically I haven't seen much that makes me confident that the staff can solve these issues. Woodson is going to need to meet fan expectations, and IU fans are a bit overzealous right now.

is what it is
That’s the spirit. The battle was fought, and we were on the losing side. Being a “clean” program only resulted in mediocre coaches, mediocre players, and mediocre results while Kentucky, Kansas, UNC, Duke, etc. won championships. Now that the rules have changed, it’s time for us to flex our muscles.

it's just not the college basketball I grew up on, really screws the mid majors.
mid major ball is done. Flash in the pan, then the stars move up to P5 for their payoffs and the teams go back to square one.

For years Dickie V whined and moaned that these poor "student athletes" needed some pay. He was talking about part time jobs, delivering pizzas or working at the library. I can't imagine he saw this madness coming.

A few programs have a similar position to GMs but not the AD, more sport specific. Like a 'quality control' spot but with more pull. Others have NIL liaisons at least.

GM-style positions will become a thing probably.

With regard to mid majors, I agree. They will take a huge hit here.

Assuming we are all IU basketball fans here, I’d gently suggest that what’s going on now is also what you and I grew up on. It’s RMK fan fiction to believe otherwise, although I will concede that IU may not have been as spendy as, say, UK or UCLA in the past. But I certainly recall seeing with my own eyes the giant new Escalades that RMK era players were driving.

I've been advocating for IU to appoint basketball and football GM's for some time. There are already GM-like positions at some major football schools.

But I don't think that solves the issues you touched on in your thread.

If I were appointed NCAA czar, and given carte blanche...

1. Transfer rules rewritten, with main rules as follows...
a. Players have 4 playing years of game play eligibility
b. Players are permitted 1 transfer in the same NCAA level during those 4 years
c. Waivers will be granted when coaches leave, family sickness emergencies, redshirts and medical redshirts, etc...

2. I would hire a very well connected, and very highly competent person that would be tasked to create deeper strategic partnerships with more corporate sponsors..AND TV providers. With the main goal of NIL money being tied to inseason tournaments, TV money, and the NCAA tournament. NCAA would partner with EA Sports, and provide NIL revenue to players in the Maui Invite, and with the other preseason tourneys as well (Atlantis, maybe Nike and Adidas have them, etc...)

3. I would expand the NCAA tournament to 72 teams. With 16 of them in "play in games"...all vying 11 and 12 seeds. No more crap 16 seed play in games. All of them will be the bottom 16 at large teams. Dayton can keep the games, but look in to other sites like Indianapolis, to see if they make more sense logistically and financially.

4. I would propose a new football structure. Basically what most have surmised is going to happen anyways, with football breaking away and forming its on NCAA Football League structure. Which would be setup very similarly to how the NFL is setup, but just with maybe 48 Top tier teams, instead of 32. And then take some notes and cues from Soccer Leagues like the Champions league, and allow some crossover games between Top Tier teams, and lower tier teams, and give lower tier teams the chance to play in to the top division, and top division teams the opportunity to be relegated down.

You do number 4 knowing full well it might not work, and that football could defect. But the more aligned you can become with NBC, CBS, FOX, ESPN, and Amazon Prime, etc... the more leverage and power you'll have. And also, maybe using Bowl Sponsors as key strategic marketing partners for the NCAA, and then allowing/guiding them to be involved in marketing other sports. Capital One Orlando Preseason BBall Tourney... Tostitos Phoenix Preseason BBall Tourney... etc... and then agree to keep the bowl games in play for the Top Tier playoff system.

There are answers, good answers, that would align more key stakeholders, and keep college sports as close to what has made it special as it can possibly be. I suspect the NCAA will continue to just roll over, and hope that they can keep cashing in on the NCAA tournament cash cow money. That'll all come crashing down soon if they don't take some proactive steps similar to what I typed above.

To flip your questions on its head - maybe Woody can coach, but he is really not a good GM? He needs to be able to do both. He has yet to signal he can do either one at a high level.

He has tons of cash and resources. No excuses, he is building the best team money can buy of his own choosing. He is building the roster and he probably has more cap room than 99% of D1 schools.

With regard to mid majors, I agree. They will take a huge hit here.

Assuming we are all IU basketball fans here, I’d gently suggest that what’s going on now is also what you and I grew up on. It’s RMK fan fiction to believe otherwise, although I will concede that IU may not have been as spendy as, say, UK or UCLA in the past. But I certainly recall seeing with my own eyes the giant new Escalades that RMK era players were driving.
Who do you think paid for those escalades?

This one.

If you love this approach then you can’t possibly have any money in it.

You want to whore up at all costs.

College ball will continue but until someone gets control of this it will continue to devolve for the foreseeable future.

Let’s buy some wins kids!!

Voucher systems in HS used for athletic purposes only and now this.

Hard to relate to our home grown past ain’t it??

This one.

If you love this approach then you can’t possibly have any money in it.

You want to whore up at all costs.

College ball will continue but until someone gets control of this it will continue to devolve for the foreseeable future.

Let’s buy some wins kids!!

Voucher systems in HS used for athletic purposes only and now this.

Hard to relate to our home grown past ain’t it??
I booked marked this and will read it again Saturday night and get back with you.

I've been advocating for IU to appoint basketball and football GM's for some time. There are already GM-like positions at some major football schools.

But I don't think that solves the issues you touched on in your thread.

If I were appointed NCAA czar, and given carte blanche...

1. Transfer rules rewritten, with main rules as follows...
a. Players have 4 playing years of game play eligibility
b. Players are permitted 1 transfer in the same NCAA level during those 4 years
c. Waivers will be granted when coaches leave, family sickness emergencies, redshirts and medical redshirts, etc...

2. I would hire a very well connected, and very highly competent person that would be tasked to create deeper strategic partnerships with more corporate sponsors..AND TV providers. With the main goal of NIL money being tied to inseason tournaments, TV money, and the NCAA tournament. NCAA would partner with EA Sports, and provide NIL revenue to players in the Maui Invite, and with the other preseason tourneys as well (Atlantis, maybe Nike and Adidas have them, etc...)

3. I would expand the NCAA tournament to 72 teams. With 16 of them in "play in games"...all vying 11 and 12 seeds. No more crap 16 seed play in games. All of them will be the bottom 16 at large teams. Dayton can keep the games, but look in to other sites like Indianapolis, to see if they make more sense logistically and financially.

4. I would propose a new football structure. Basically what most have surmised is going to happen anyways, with football breaking away and forming its on NCAA Football League structure. Which would be setup very similarly to how the NFL is setup, but just with maybe 48 Top tier teams, instead of 32. And then take some notes and cues from Soccer Leagues like the Champions league, and allow some crossover games between Top Tier teams, and lower tier teams, and give lower tier teams the chance to play in to the top division, and top division teams the opportunity to be relegated down.

You do number 4 knowing full well it might not work, and that football could defect. But the more aligned you can become with NBC, CBS, FOX, ESPN, and Amazon Prime, etc... the more leverage and power you'll have. And also, maybe using Bowl Sponsors as key strategic marketing partners for the NCAA, and then allowing/guiding them to be involved in marketing other sports. Capital One Orlando Preseason BBall Tourney... Tostitos Phoenix Preseason BBall Tourney... etc... and then agree to keep the bowl games in play for the Top Tier playoff system.

There are answers, good answers, that would align more key stakeholders, and keep college sports as close to what has made it special as it can possibly be. I suspect the NCAA will continue to just roll over, and hope that they can keep cashing in on the NCAA tournament cash cow money. That'll all come crashing down soon if they don't take some proactive steps similar to what I typed above.

Lots of good ideas here. In particular, I like #4, with EPL style relegation involved. (I’ve always felt relegation is a great concept). I keep hearing how the power 5 programs are on the verge of breaking off from the rest of the ncaa pack and forming their own league. I hate this idea. But if it’s going to happen, then relegation is the way to keep contact with the rest of the NCAA teams, while still forming your own P5 league.

I brought this up last year... who will be the first to hire a Scouting Department to keep tabs on possible portal free agents???

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT