ADVERTISEMENT

Romeo about to be out of the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In that case, anything is life changing then. I view life changing money as life sustaining money. $9M (net) isn't life sustaining money without a good amount of care, which numbers would suggest, happens less than it does.
Again, you're only looking at it by your own definition. 20 million, 16 million, 9 million are life changing amounts. My cousin in college was digging around in a used couch for his car keys and pulled out a wad of about $10K. He and his roommates flew to NYC for the weekend and blew it. That's not life-changing. But, if on $9 million you can do that almost every weekend for 5-10 years on top of buying your parents a home and yourself a Maserati, then yeah, that's life-changing, you just didn't make the best choices.

we all knew JHS was OAD. That was the plan going back to his time at MV. No surprise there at all.
No it wasn't. Early in the year he wasn't projected to go in the draft at all or 2nd round at best. It wasn't until Jan after he showed he could run a team that be became a 1st round pick.

But, yes, from Jan on it was expected.

Reactions: kkott
You don't need to win the PowerBall to comfortably provide for your family for the rest of your life Sherlock.
Actually winning the Powerball could be worse. If you take the 1 time payout, I think it comes out to about half the total payout, which is paid in 20 annual installments. And I think when the Powerball prize resets, it starts around 25-30 million dollars, so half of that in a 1 time payout is less than what Romeo's career earnings have been so far, and that's before any endorsements!

"Hey Grandpa! My AI clone sent me an article that showed you playing basketball in a Boston Celtics jersey?! You never told me you played in the NBA!!!"

"Oh, yeah, I guess I did Lil Mini Romeo. I always forget about that time in my life...so insignificant. In fact, it was such a nothing burger that I enrolled in community college right after because that's what I would have done if I hadn't played those 5-6 years of basketball. Just picked up where my life would have went without basketball. Can't remember where all that money went?! Hmmm, oh well."

• Haha
Reactions: nichlee
All you can ask of the player is that he continues to tout his IU experience and influence recruits when he can. JHS certainly seems to have done that. I think MM's decision was based on that to some degree and he seems to have helped with both the MV pipeline and the Harper recruitment. That's pretty stout!
Let’s hope so on Harper, but don’t give JHS credit for that one just yet. That said, four year players can tout the experience to others just as well as those 5-star one’ers.

There is no chance romeo will provide for his family for the rest of his life based off this money only.
I'm not saying Romeo will or won't be able to live off this money for the rest of this life but you have zero concept of the real world if you don't think $9-10 million is enough to live comfortably off of to the extent of never having to worry about working to provide for your family.

Figured you'd learn that after 7 years of school.

Figured you'd learn that after 7 years of school.
I learned a lot, enough to make much more than you ever have per year. I also have much more real life experience, and realize the reality is most young people are going to spend far more of the money given to them rather than save it. Whether it be 100k or a million. It goes quick when you are 20 years old. That is the reality.

Reactions: Lucy01
And you would never have to work again if you netted $8-9million dollars in a 4 year span if you saved, allocated, and invested properly. You in theory should never have to pay a mortgage, your kids schooling should be paid for, etc. It's life-changing money if done right, stop saying otherwise, you're wrong.

It still doesn't change the fact that it's life-changing money.
$500 is life changing money if caught stealing it from a Speedway gas station.

There is no chance romeo will provide for his family for the rest of his life based off this money only.
No chance? He'll have gotten 8 million in NBA earnings. Probably another million overall from whatever endorsements he's done. I believe he had a New Era one at some point. I doubt that was for nothing.

Average male lives what, 75 years...so 50 ish more years. If he's relatively frugal, he might have spent half of it. 4-5 million, that's 75-100K a year for 50 years. If he were to invest even a million of that, he could probably have 150K ish a year for 40 years, then more than that a year for his twilight years.

And that's if he literally doesn't earn another penny. So it would be possible. However unlikely.

Since you and Bloom are just assuming he blew all that money...to make your point...I'm going to assume he invested 2 million bucks in early 2020 in Bitcoin...bought in at 10K, sold at 50K a year or so later. Reinvested that money in to the market right before Covid, and doubled it. So he's currently worth about 20 million bucks.

Or...he'll either get another NBA contract in the 2 million per range...or he'll parlay his NBA stint in to a good overseas career for the next 4-5 years where he makes 4-500K a year. He'll then come home and partner with some businessman in Southern Indiana and put his name on 8-10 car dealerships...making himself a passive 700K-1M a year off that. On top of that, he'll partner with some other people to start the Romeo Langford basketball academy. A Spiece like southern Indiana sports complex, that'll be more of a tax write off, but it'll be pretty big in Southern Indiana as well, and generate some decent cash every year. That window will be probably about 5 years after his playing days are over. So he'll have had 15 years or so since HS to figure out what he wants to do with his life. By then, he'll have played in the NBA, played overseas, owned a company, and started a kids bball program...All because he was a horrible shooter that got lucky and had coaches that just allowed him to keep shooting, and keep shooting.

All because he was a horrible shooter that got lucky and had coaches that just allowed him to keep shooting, and keep shooting.
My and Bloom assumptions are based on facts about young NBA athletes. Literally documentaries about it. You just made up some BS that would also be worthy of a documentary.

The NBA stopped letting him shoot lol. He never played.

No chance? He'll have gotten 8 million in NBA earnings. Probably another million overall from whatever endorsements he's done. I believe he had a New Era one at some point. I doubt that was for nothing.

Average male lives what, 75 years...so 50 ish more years. If he's relatively frugal, he might have spent half of it. 4-5 million, that's 75-100K a year for 50 years. If he were to invest even a million of that, he could probably have 150K ish a year for 40 years, then more than that a year for his twilight years.

And that's if he literally doesn't earn another penny. So it would be possible. However unlikely.

Since you and Bloom are just assuming he blew all that money...to make your point...I'm going to assume he invested 2 million bucks in early 2020 in Bitcoin...bought in at 10K, sold at 50K a year or so later. Reinvested that money in to the market right before Covid, and doubled it. So he's currently worth about 20 million bucks.

Or...he'll either get another NBA contract in the 2 million per range...or he'll parlay his NBA stint in to a good overseas career for the next 4-5 years where he makes 4-500K a year. He'll then come home and partner with some businessman in Southern Indiana and put his name on 8-10 car dealerships...making himself a passive 700K-1M a year off that. On top of that, he'll partner with some other people to start the Romeo Langford basketball academy. A Spiece like southern Indiana sports complex, that'll be more of a tax write off, but it'll be pretty big in Southern Indiana as well, and generate some decent cash every year. That window will be probably about 5 years after his playing days are over. So he'll have had 15 years or so since HS to figure out what he wants to do with his life. By then, he'll have played in the NBA, played overseas, owned a company, and started a kids bball program...All because he was a horrible shooter that got lucky and had coaches that just allowed him to keep shooting, and keep shooting.
Forget about it.

You're arguing with somebody who needed 6 years to get a BS degree who is still likely single in their mid to late 30's. Literally the last person in the room anybody needs to be taking some kind of advice from.

Forget about it.

You're arguing with somebody who needed 6 years to get a BS degree who is still likely single in their mid to late 30's. Literally the last person in the room anybody needs to be taking some kind of advice from.
Are we not talking about money? Wouldn't someone that is much closer to their 20s than 80s, and someone that has made significant money in that time frame be the one that would have more of a feel for this conversation.

You have been retired for what a decade? WTF do you know about 20 year old athletes spending habits. I currently give athletes NIL deals and know their spending habits very well.

Tell me about your real world experience here gramps. Im all ears.

honestly, as a 48 yr fan of IU bball, it's kind of depressing to follow a post where we argue over which former IU player sucks the most. I just give both TB and RL credit, they chose IU, they played as well as they could here, I'm sure they both feel they wanted to accomplish a little more at IU than what actually played out, and they've both moved on, and -as far as I know- never once said a bad thing about IU or the fans.

I hope RL gets a new contact, and I hope TB has a good career at Mizzou and continues to be a good dad for his little kid, and makes enough money to support child and mom when college is over. This internal hatred toward one of them/both of them seems rather unhealthy. I prefer to cast my hatred toward the goons who play for Izzo and the silver spooned pricks in Durham NC.

my 2 pesos.
Stop making sense old man. Bad bidnez here.

I’ll raise your 2 pesos and add a Modello (now America’s number 1 selling beer).

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Are we not talking about money? Wouldn't someone that is much closer to their 20s than 80s, and someone that has made significant money in that time frame be the one that would have more of a feel for this conversation.

You have been retired for what a decade? WTF do you know about 20 year old athletes spending habits. I currently give athletes NIL deals and know their spending habits very well.

The allowance money you gave Tamar to get Taco Bell on the weekends doesn’t equate to a fraction of the real world money we’re talking about in this situation.

Sean I stand absolutely nothing to gain discussing real world applications with you because you haven’t a clue. It is a waste of my time.

Ask Kent Benson how that scenario worked out for him.

For f***s sake, you can't define "life-changing" money. For someone struggling to feed his or her family, that might mean $100; for someone who wishes to live a lavish lifestyle, it might be $100 million.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
He made $16 million in 4 years lol. You could comfortably retire off that and not blink an eye.

You'd have to make $500k a year for 30+ years to net what Romeo made over his NBA career. There's plenty of people who work for 30 years and retire and don't make anywhere close to $500k annually.
But would it be life changing??

Ask Kent Benson how that scenario worked out for him.
Has he stepped inside Assembly Hall since he graduated? That is, any urinal sightings if not stall squeakers to vouch for…things of that nature seen or heard? If not, why not? Did he find Zero Tolerance bothersome, so much so that he couldn’t let go at some point? I know he’s a Christian man in which forgiveness is often stressed.

Has he stepped inside Assembly Hall since he graduated? That is, any urinal sightings if not stall squeakers to vouch for…things of that nature seen or heard? If not, why not? Did he find Zero Tolerance bothersome, so much so that he couldn’t let go at some point? I know he’s a Christian man in which forgiveness is often stressed.
Drinking again I see!

you are being very disrespectful to coach geez. he is the most knowledgeable poster basketball wise on this board. Romeos finances who the hell knows? can you live a comfortable life and never work again if you have 10 million banked at the age of 23 hell yes. everyone is making all kinds of assumptions about something they know nothing about. Romeo came from a middle class 2 parent background. was slated for the NBA since he was about 15 years old. do you think it's possible that he has hired some great financial advisors? do you know for a fact he has paid taxes at a 40 percent rate? the tax system favors the rich and high earners is it possible he has used some loopholes to avoid paying at such a high rate? Antoine walker blew through a 180million in earnings. rob Gronkowski reportedly has never touched a dollar of his NFL earning, has lived off other sources of income. Romeo's career could be looked at as disappointing. so was Steve Alford's do you think he's broke?

He has. I saw him give a speech there during the Davis years. Might been the 25th anniversary celebration of the 76 team in 01. Can't remember anymore.

Reactions: abraxis
Can someone lock this thread? Between dudes who can't play a lick themselves judging NBA players and people who will never make 8-9 million in their lives commenting on what defines wealth, I think we've hit rock bottom.

Maybe Romeo has great spending and investing habits. I know no one on here knows.

60% of NBA players are broke within five years after retiring. Now I'm sure that's a bankruptcy number, so it's not like these dudes are destitute, but there likely are some who are. (It also doesn't account for those went on to other business interests and were successful.)

The first NBA contract isn't change your life money. It's not. It's fun money.

How many of these players, especially those drafted in the first round with guaranteed contracts, think they aren't getting that next contract?

We'd all hope all of them, especially those we watched grow up, invested and spent wisely, but it's clear a majority of them don't. That's just counting those who went belly up. I'm sure the number is much higher of those who likely pi$$ed money away for 3-4 years but were fortunate enough to get that second and third long term contract. Even some of those guys went broke too.

$15M in your early 20's isn't change your life money. Pulling back on a lifestyle isn't easy.
People just don’t get it.

IU has had great players and extremely irritating when so many posters here install a player in IU’s pantheon and then the NBA’s simply because some idiots rated them five star and they have a slam highlights video production on FaceTube.

The negative (but true) comments are often a reaction to the cluelessness of the five star fanboys that are overactive at the outset.

Last edited:
fair point.
Not a hater. Just protecting my family and possessions. And breaking no laws. Everything is legal and legit in my humble casa.
I've met a lot of people who claim to be on the other side, who turn into haters the moment they realize I don't share their opinions. Too many haters everywhere now, on all sides of the spectrum.

So does defending a couple nice young kids who played for IU and rep'd us well now turn me into a Karen? Too cynical even for me.
Absolutely nothing wrong with self defense etc. It's why my father (Marine) would always have me training in boxing from age 7- up til I got out of it in my late 20s. Also the 2A. Everywhere and everytime.

But the first contract money can most definately be life changing money in your early 20s if you do it right. But this is also coming from someone who only averages 76-95k a year. Not what most of these heavier hitters earn.

Some stat comparisons for their respective freshman seasons

Romeo
35.1 minutes per game
16.5 points per game
5.4 rebounds per game
2.3 assists per game
Team Record 17-15 (wrong side of bubble)

Tamar
14.5 minutes per game
3.9 points per game
1.5 rebounds per game
0.6 assists per game
Team Record 20-13 (right side of bubble)

Some of your points are valid...Archie did allow Romeo free reign. But he did more with those minutes, on a per minute basis, than Tamar did. And its not, at all, like Tamar was coming in to those games and deferring to others...he was gunning. I have some of the same reservations about Romeo as you, but I think most of them are fueled by his stoic body language and demeanor, and by how Archie chose to use him at IU. Some things I always try to remind myself about him.

1. He scored over 3000 points, in Indiana, playing for a 4A school.
2. He won a state title, as a sophomore I believe, in the biggest class in Indiana. Side note, New Albany is one of the smallest schools to win a 4A state title in the last 20 years or so.
3. He averaged over 5 rebounds a game at IU. Guards with "low motors" don't average 5 rebounds per game.
4. He averaged over 2 assists per game at IU. If he was a Tamar-esque gunner, he wouldn't have averaged over 2 assists per game.
5. Most games, he guarded the other teams best perimeter player, for most of his 35 minutes. So they weren't "hiding" him on defense...which they would have had to do if he was soft, or played with a low motor.
6. Stevens drafted him over a ton of other wings/guards, in the first round of the NBA draft.
7. He shot 44%, overall, and over 70% from the FT line, with an injured thumb on his shooting hand.

You created the Romeo/Tamar comparison. If not for you, no one in their right mind would ever think to compare the two. They're not even remotely similar to each other. Not in how they play, not in how good they are. I suspect what they do both share, is a much higher drive and motor than any of us could ever understand. You've underrated Romeo on this front, and overrated Tamar. To the point where you, and others, are making this stupid, faulty comparison.

I'm sure Romeo will get another NBA contract of some sort. Maybe not though. The NBA isn't an easy place to thrive. And I hope Tamar figures things out and ends up playing in the NBA. But man, seems if he was the dog that you always thought he was, he'd have figured out how to be better and more effective. Romeo figured it out with a broken thumb on his shooting hand?! Surely Tamar should have been able to shake shooting yips, at some point?!
And he did it with a bad wrist

Since all these posts are referencing me. Let’s get it straight. I said tamar would score more points in the NBA than romeo. I also said he could shoot better than Romeo. That is as far as the comparisons went for the two. The rest is just people being people and exaggerate everything.
You also thought Tamar was going to get a second contract in the NBA! 🤦‍♂️😂😂

You also thought Tamar was going to get a second contract in the NBA! 🤦‍♂️😂😂
I thought he would be an nba player for sure. Could be wrong, but still could be right. Much stranger things have happened.

44, 27, and 72 isn’t “atrocious”. And if it is, Tamar was worse his freshman year, overall. Romeo would have obviously improved with another college season. Just like he’s improved his overall percentages in his NBA career. I can’t imagine his overall HS numbers were atrocious either, given he scored over 3000 points.

NBA averages are 46/37/77

Obviously it’s becoming a shooters league, as those are all really good numbers. Crazy that the league average is actually getting close to 50/40…90 FT % must be the differentiation point that makes 50/40/90 so hard to achieve. But man, 50/40 used to be elite. Now it’s average.

Anyway…Romeo has been fairly close to league average the last couple years for overall. But below in 3P and FT.

I would say atrocious applies to his outside shooting. Maybe a little strong, but sub 30, sub 60 is really bad for a guard.

But seeing as how Tamar won’t likely ever get that chance…again…at the same point in their careers, they were similar shooters.

Per the original claim I made…just like you saying Tamar is a better shooter than Romeo…. You just have made other comparisons at times. I don’t have any specific examples, and don’t feel like looking them up. But you’ve engaged in many Tamar v Romeo back and forths. And not all of them have been strictly about his shooting and their respective NBA careers.
I don't even look at Tamar's 3 shooting. He had to be among the very worst drivers of the ball to the rim that IU has had. He just had such a hard time finishing a drive. I don't know if it was a coordination issue, bad hands, lack of concentration or what. He reminded me of Geronimo taking it to the rack. Not pretty.

I don't even look at Tamar's 3 shooting. He had to be among the very worst drivers of the ball to the rim that IU has had. He just had such a hard time finishing a drive. I don't know if it was a coordination issue, bad hands, lack of concentration or what. He reminded me of Geronimo taking it to the rack. Not pretty.
Horrible handles and hands. Seemed uncoordinated by high D1 standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT