ADVERTISEMENT

Preakness

Was a great race and I love D Wayne as a trainer. So does everyone else obviously.

How bout the owners...2571 owners split the 1.2 million. They paid 127 bucks a piece to own a share. Amazing

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I thought Mystik Dan was a threat, since they say he likes the slop. His mother was a mudder. Got another pretty good trip, yet Seize the Grey still never let it look like he'd be caught. Fun race. Big, good looking horse.

I thought Mystik Dan was a threat, since they say he likes the slop. His mother was a mudder. Got another pretty good trip, yet Seize the Grey still never let it look like he'd be caught. Fun race. Big, good looking horse.
I never bet unless its a sure thing ;)

• Love
Reactions: sluggo69
Two week turnaround really stacks the deck against the KY Derby winner running against fresher horses.

I'd like to see the sport increase the days between the TC races: KY Derby is 1st Sat in May, Preakness could be 1st Sat in June, Belmont could be July 4th. If a horse wins the first two races and then is going to NY on July 4th - that would create a lot of buzz, which the sport needs.

However, I've read that NYRA doesn't want to move the Belmont so those two races could be reversed. Pimlico could use the publicity and dollars - imagine a horse going for the TC on July 4th in Maryland - home of the Star Spangled Banner. the media would love it!

Horse racing has changed so much that increasing the days between the races makes sense. There have been other changes in the 150 year history and it's time for one more.

Reactions: bawlmer and larsIU
Was a great race and I love D Wayne as a trainer. So does everyone else obviously.

How bout the owners...2571 owners split the 1.2 million. They paid 127 bucks a piece to own a share. Amazing
@mcmurtry66 where are we on investors for the Irish Lion?

These guys ponied up $500 for a damn horse. Are you telling me we can't get a couple hundred guys to kick in $10k for seating privileges at the new Irish Loin?

Two week turnaround really stacks the deck against the KY Derby winner running against fresher horses.
But the top 3 finishers all ran 2 weeks ago, the bottom 5 all had more rest.

Sure, seize the Grey only ran a mile, but he ran 2 weeks ago.

This year. Look at prior years and my statement is valid especially for the Belmont.
There is always a 3 week gap between the Preakness and the Belmont, vs. 2 weeks between the KD & the Preakness. Nobody would run 1.5 miles on 2 weeks rest.

There is always a 3 week gap between the Preakness and the Belmont, vs. 2 weeks between the KD & the Preakness. Nobody would run 1.5 miles on 2 weeks rest.
I know the schedule. In today's game horses of this caliber usually have over 3-4 weeks between races, which is my point. The game has changed.

So I'm merely suggesting that the gap between all three TC races be increased to at least 3 weeks. It's fine; you don't have to agree (I know there's a lot of people that don't like this idea).

I know the schedule. In today's game horses of this caliber usually have over 3-4 weeks between races, which is my point. The game has changed.

So I'm merely suggesting that the gap between all three TC races be increased to at least 3 weeks. It's fine; you don't have to agree (I know there's a lot of people that don't like this idea).
I think it's a good idea in general, for horse safety, but the problem is convincing the Louisville and Baltimore folks who have staged their big parties on the same weekend for a century to make a change

From their point of view it would be like asking Indianapolis to run the Indy 500 the week AFTER Memorial Day.

Under this proposal, the KY Derby date wouldn't change and Pimlico is falling apart. So throwing some money their way would likely be sufficient.

My mother (now gone for over 20 years) loved horse racing and I remember watching Secretariat run in 1973 when I was a little kid. Specifically I remember watching the Belmont with her. We had to milk the cows early to catch the races on late Saturday afternoon.

Big Red was a fast finisher and had the habit of never pushing the pace early. So when he broke to the front in the Belmont out of the gate, I remember my Mom yelling "What is he doing?" Then a few minutes later... "my God, look at him go!" just before the announcer uttered the famous line "moving like a tremendous machine"

Reactions: Bill4411
Belmont is only 1 1/4 miles this year and next, as they are running it at Saratoga.

Preakness was supposed to move to Laurel Park next year, but now it sounds like it will stay at Pimlico for next year's race. They are going to rebuild Pimlico, as the state of Maryland recently took it over.

Secretariat

But the best 1-2 duo in racing history is Affirmed and Alydar. Never was much of a horse race fan, but those 3 races were unbelievable.
I actually got to see Alydar up close at Calumet Farm shortly before he died. I got to go in the barn, next to his stall. Unbelievable athletic specimen. It was 1990, in Alydar's heyday as a stud. I believe his owners received $250,000 per mare that he covered. He had 3-4 mares a day, for an entire month. (I was not there during breeding season.) The guy showing us around bragged about how Affirmed only got $50,000 per mare. The 5x difference was based on the superior performance of Alydar's offspring.

I could have sworn I was told the $250,000 was without guarantee. However, the article below says Alydar's no guarantee stud fee was $175,000. In 2024 dollars, that's a $600K stud fee (or $420K no guarantee fee).

Reactions: DANC
I actually got to see Alydar up close at Calumet Farm shortly before he died. I got to go in the barn, next to his stall. Unbelievable athletic specimen. It was 1990, in Alydar's heyday as a stud. I believe his owners received $250,000 per mare that he covered. He had 3-4 mares a day, for an entire month. (I was not there during breeding season.) The guy showing us around bragged about how Affirmed only got $50,000 per mare. The 5x difference was based on the superior performance of Alydar's offspring.

I could have sworn I was told the $250,000 was without guarantee. However, the article below says Alydar's no guarantee stud fee was $175,000. In 2024 dollars, that's a $600K stud fee (or $420K no guarantee fee).

A life of servicing mares....... what a way to go.

If horses could talk.... Alydar: "You want me to do what???? Well, OK, I guess"

• Haha
Reactions: Noodle
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT