ADVERTISEMENT

Kaanan Carlyle

Sure, but it's not always about variance. Definately not only. Some of those shooters we aren't allowed to count in 'how many can hit 40' may be excellent and consistent. But we can't include them because without the eye test also, you're not sure?

What if a guy functioned in Woody's offense last year and made 40 percent, (or as someone pointed out Miller Kopp) but by what you're looking for not enough volume to prove he's consistent.
That wouldn't be fair just because you don't know for sure.

I'm not asking for a volume shooter hitting a good percentage 'off the hop'. That's a star .
I'd like Coach to at least get one or two bench guys who can come in and shoot two or three a game. A bad game they each hit one of three, good game they each hit two out of four or five . In lower volume they should be able to get looks in lower minutes, they don't have to be creators. Just pure shooters. If the offense at least sets them up sometime, doesn't have to be primarily.
You need both. We don’t have an off the bounce guy last year.

You need both. We don’t have an off the bounce guy last year.
True. I'm not really arguing against that. Maybe it is the missing piece.

Those guys are harder to find. 'Cause they can play. lol

So I'll settle for chess pieces he can insert now and then.

True. I'm not really arguing against that. Maybe it is the missing piece.

Those guys are harder to find. 'Cause they can play. lol

So I'll settle for chess pieces he can insert now and then.
You add an off the bounce guy to last year the stat goes up. Needed a guy who could get any shot he wants.

Sure, but it's not always about variance. Definately not only. Some of those shooters we aren't allowed to count in 'how many can hit 40' may be excellent and consistent. But we can't include them because without the eye test also, you're not sure?

What if a guy functioned in Woody's offense last year and made 40 percent, (or as someone pointed out Miller Kopp) but by what you're looking for not enough volume to prove he's consistent.
That wouldn't be fair just because you don't know for sure.

I'd like Coach to at least get one or two bench guys who can come in and shoot two or three a game. A bad game they each hit one of three, good game they each hit two out of four or five .
Good game they hit 6 for 9. Man, we have really lost it as a fan base.

We had that guy, he found shots everywhere on the floor. They just didn't go in very often, and next year he will be at Depaul.
Yeah sure. If you would take the time(nobody does) and read the whole comments then you would know the guy needs to shoot “3s” at 35% off the bounce.

I actually do think he has ability that hasn't shown yet. So with our bad luck, he'll probably find it there.

But yeah, a little snide about why can't our staff either find guys who can shoot, or develop them. Hopefully this year.

Just to be clear… not every ball dominant guard that shoots under 40% from 3 is CJ Gunn. Seems to be the belief of some here…
Heh, I'm clear.

I also enjoy the part where people bitched about going 10 deep early in the season, and then they also bitch when #8, 9, and 10 transfer because they got no playing time after Woodson shortened the rotation.

Yeah sure. If you would take the time(nobody does) and read the whole comments then you would know the guy needs to shoot “3s” at 35% off the bounce.
I read all the comments. I was just kidding around about Gunn's unrepentant gunning. Not meant as a jab at you or anyone else (this time).

24/7 just gave Indiana a CB for Kanaan Carlyle, 6-3 185lbs.
I guess he and Rice are buddies from ATL and both maybe had some relationship with Yaz? Those 2 and Ballo would be the makings of a very good team! Get the Bloomington South kid from Drake and another backup frontcourt guy and I think that would be a title contending team in the B10.

Last edited:
I guess he and Rice are buddies from ATL and both maybe had some relationship with Yas? Those 2 and Ballo would be the makings of a very good team! Get the Bloomington South kid from Drake and another backup frontcourt guy and I think that would be a title contending team in the B10.
You mean Hickman from Bradley?

I'm not sure that's the new way. One year rentals are Woody's specialty.
Eh, to be fair, quite a few of the deep-advancing teams in the tournament this year were chock full of one- and two-year portal rentals. Iowa State was almost nothing but recent portal acquisitions. So, it *is* pretty much the new way. And, before anyone chimes in with a "b-b-b, whaddabout Purdue?", ask yourself if: 1) they'd even be within spitting distance of the second round if they didn't have Lurch, a complete unicorn of a player (and no, Will Berg is not another such unicorn); 2) their otherwise pedestrian backcourt that played a huge role in their FD first round ouster last year didn't get an invaluable portal boost with Lance Jones; and 3) would any combination of their homegrown, four-year scholarship players ever get them back there. If you're honest, you'd know the answer. You either recruit like a Kansas, Duke, or UNC, or you rely on getting significant upgrades each year from the portal to your recruited talent. This isn't a Woodson affliction. Now, is he able to coach that assembled roster up? That's a different story. But, he definitely isn't wrong for pursuing it.

I guess he and Rice are buddies from ATL and both maybe had some relationship with Yaz? Those 2 and Ballo would be the makings of a very good team! Get the Bloomington South kid from Drake and another backup frontcourt guy and I think that would be a title contending team in the B10.
Several other sites now following the CB pick. I still won’t celebrate until after the visit and commitment. But things are looking better than they did in February. At least on paper.

Reactions: Indyhorn
Have either of you actually watched him play or seen him shoot? No. Well it's obvious. Please quit talking out of your asses ... it makes you appear stupid.

His mechanics are fine, no glitches. He also has the ability to shoot 3s off the bounce and is very proficient in the mid game on pull ups. He's not purely a catch and shoot .. almost half of his shots came from 3pt range with only 2/3 coming from a pass. Kanaan also draws fouls at a good rate even though he doesn't get to the rim as much as you'd want. He may not be a pure shooter, but he is a scorer, and can shoot well enough teams have to play him honest.

It was also his freshman year, for a freshman his numbers are excellent. Which is probably why he's one of the most wanted guards in the portal.... Plus I guess neither of you realize this but in the game of basketball, players can improve, it happens all the time especially between fr and so year and it isn't against the rules...
I agree he’d be a great get- however just because he cancelled Auburn doesn’t mean he’s ours. Folks are already starting the off season optimism- like everything on earth we will see until we do not!

I agree he’d be a great get- however just because he cancelled Auburn doesn’t mean he’s ours. Folks are already starting the off season optimism- like everything on earth we will see until we do not!
We’ll revisit this in sometime around noon tomorrow.

Carlyle is a sweet looking player. That kind that guys were talking about in the thread who can get off his shot in a variety of ways, set, off bounce, catch and shoot. He does have a nice high release so its not blocked. The kind of player who always eats us up. Be nice to have one on our side.
I hope this news holds up. If so, Coach Woodson is pulling something together. May be improving the roster. I had no hope that would occur not long ago. Although at guard it would be hard not to improve. But this kid has higher level stuff.

Reactions: T.M.P.
2003441114_Screenshot2024-04-12at9_07_39AM.png.fbd41cf04c5b63fdbb8d1c66270cc948.png

1660086313_Screenshot2024-04-12at9_19_20AM.png.70271b56884e897980453fe76f1ed1a2.png

Compared to....

347253484_Screenshot2024-04-12at9_24_42AM.png.0e425ca0d61ac2d6ce911adfa048b146.png

1691322581_Screenshot2024-04-12at9_23_48AM.png.71b980a9bc1684e6df2d0b357ae9cb81.png

1761305242_Screenshot2024-04-12at9_23_31AM.png.c48194e46b036ec005c53b0519fd9d69.png

*Courtesy of Trish

Reactions: CriticArisen
Shoots 32% from deep on 4.3 attempts per game. Not a shooter. Or, I guess I should say, he'd be about 80th in the conference with those numbers.
Perhaps he's a good on ball defender?

According to Ant Wright, he shot 40% from 3 on catch-and-shoot opportunities.

Reactions: OpenWheels
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT