ADVERTISEMENT

McCarthy

But you have to admit he has gotten some Republicans to work with him on some things.
Susan Collins has voted with Biden 67% of the time, which only serves to strengthen the frail hopes of bipartisanship.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
Jeffords.....kidding.

Bernie - who votes (or did) with R's on gun control issues quite frequently as do many many other red state/purple state Dems.

Bayh. Donnelly for recent Indiana examples.

Let's face it. Nearly every member of both parties is over 95% voting for their team's shit. Period. End of story. But every once in a while (like McCain) they blow something up that matters deeply to their own party.

Call them mavericks, shills, demagogues, whatever.
What Democrat bills did Bernie vote against? If he ever did, he doesn't now. Gun control is a Constitutional issue.

Bayh and Donnelly voted for every major Democrat legislation. Donnelly was so pro-life, he voted against any restrictions on abortion.

Democrats are not allowed to vote against Democrat bills - by their leadership - if it means they might not be elected for voting for that bill in their district. But not if it means the legislation won't pass.

I can't believe you don't think Democrats don't vote as a bloc much more than Republicans.

Reactions: stollcpa
wait, so it's good to reach across the aisle, but bad if you reach across to racists, when it's a bunch of racists who are across the aisle?

If this is true, we are all fooked.

Congress should function by negotiation and compromise. That is how democracy works. In this respect, the so-called RINOS are light-years ahead of the likes of Pelosi and Schumer. Anybody who truly wants to save Democracy should vote GOP and support McConnell and McCarthy.
I think McConnell sell by date has passed.

We'll see what they get done over the next 2 years. Passing that last spending bill because the House may basically do their job by questioning some of the spending was a ****ing joke. McConnell's first major act after the election was turning it into a heads Democrats win, tails Republicans lose on the budget. He did not try to use any bargaining power at all.

At a certain point the "RINOs" as some are calling them, but are really just the establishment, have to provide some sort of reason to vote for them other than what the other guys want to do, only slower.

Finally, it is interesting that the MAGA folks need to realize that the establishment types are needed to win as was being discussed up above but it is clear the same is also true going the other direction. Quite a few GOP types voted against the party in the past 2 or 3 elections to "save" it from MAGA. Some even arguing that rank and file GOP candidates also need to lose to teach the GOP a lesson about electing right wing populists. Kind of hard to argue it is against MAGA interests to do likewise isn't it? (FWIW, I think it is unfortunately true that almost anything right is going to be better than what the left is offering these days. Wish more people thought that when they helped foist Biden and his merry band on us.)

Reactions: stollcpa and DANC
What Democrat bills did Bernie vote against? If he ever did, he doesn't now. Gun control is a Constitutional issue.
I don't have time right now but he's at 92% on voting with Biden for 2022.

Bayh and Donnelly voted for every major Democrat legislation. Donnelly was so pro-life, he voted against any restrictions on abortion.
Bayh, really? He championed deregulation of the financial services industry. As a blue dog he helped kill the public option and more sticky mandates of ACA.

Come on man.

Seriously? You think Democrats don't vote in lockstep? Are you really a Martian?
You don't think Republicans do?

The zealots of both parties expect 100%. Look at Sinema and Manchin last 2 years. Progressives I know were livid, demanding the same loyalty that the GOP demands.

Last edited:
Reactions: larsIU
Remember when.. “democrats fell in love, republicans fell in line?” The dems loved Nancy, but the pubs aren’t falling in line.

About as defiant and unstable as the previous president.

Posted without comment.... will have more to say later.

Lots of comments and quotes from fellow Republicans, and some background of where he came from, and where is is today.

It’s a good thing people don’t elect republicans to govern.

Dumbass.
Crenshaw, not you.
How so? I tend to think Crenshaw is correct, when he says there is no way anyone other than McCarthy will be speaker. If that’s the case isn’t what these Reps are doing just meaningless posturing?

Reactions: DANC
How so? I tend to think Crenshaw is correct, when he says there is no way anyone other than McCarthy will be speaker. If that’s the case isn’t what these Reps are doing just meaningless posturing?
Calling them enemies is a dumbass move.

McCarthy is a crappy milquetoast pick who has no stated agenda or list of accomplishments he is hoping to achieve. He arrogantly moved his butt into the Speaker's office before having the votes for the position. There is no rule that says he has to be seated, they can go round and round forever and I frankly don't care what they look like. I have an extremely low viewpoint of the GOP that is only saved by my even lower opinion of the political left. If they look dumb, so be it.

The job of the Speaker and the party leadership is to build consensus with the team. McCarthy and Co. were so arrogant they did not have the votes counted and the issues hammered out before the vote. That doesn't give much confidence in his ability to lead anything. I am not 100% on board with the agitators agenda either, but I do have an expectation that the GOP has to do SOMETHING with these wins. And if they start talking about more ****ing tax breaks or just sit around for two years (which has been the MO of the McCarthy wing of the party for a long while now), then F it. Burn the party down. They are next to useless anyway.

Reactions: dbmhoosier

Heels are dug in. Hard to believe enough of the Never McCarthy Pubs would relent unless he publicly humiliates himself -- which he isn't above doing.

Who might be the compromise candidate? I can't imagine the sane members voting for Biggs or Banks or Jordan. If they end up having to ditch McCarthy, my money is on Scalice.

Biden has reached across the aisle his whole career. He’s had trouble with this Congress, but he’s gotten several bi partisan bills passed .
If you are talking about the infrastructure bill, it should have been close to unanimous. The largest part of the bill was renewal of the Highway Trust Fund which all sides favor. But Biden and the Dems couldn’t leave well enough alone. They loaded the bill with a bunch of Democrat agenda items putting the renewal in jeopardy.

Reactions: stollcpa and DANC

McCarthy is a crappy milquetoast pick who has no stated agenda or list of accomplishments he is hoping to achieve. He arrogantly moved his butt into the Speaker's office before having the votes for the position. There is no rule that says he has to be seated, they can go round and round forever and I frankly don't care what they look like. I have an extremely low viewpoint of the GOP that is only saved by my even lower opinion of the political left. If they look dumb, so be it.

The job of the Speaker and the party leadership is to build consensus with the team. McCarthy and Co. were so arrogant they did not have the votes counted and the issues hammered out before the vote. That doesn't give much confidence in his ability to lead anything. I am not 100% on board with the agitators agenda either, but I do have an expectation that the GOP has to do SOMETHING with these wins. And if they start talking about more ****ing tax breaks or just sit around for two years (which has been the MO of the McCarthy wing of the party for a long while now), then F it. Burn the party down. They are next to useless anyway.
I don’t want McCarthy to run things like Pelosi. Nothing was voted on without her specific approval. That’s crazy.

If you are talking about the infrastructure bill, it should have been close to unanimous. The largest part of the bill was renewal of the Highway Trust Fund which all sides favor. But Biden and the Dems couldn’t leave well enough alone. They loaded the bill with a bunch of Democrat agenda items putting the renewal in jeopardy.
I linked a post which had more than infrastructure.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Heels are dug in. Hard to believe enough of the Never McCarthy Pubs would relent unless he publicly humiliates himself -- which he isn't above doing.

Who might be the compromise candidate? I can't imagine the sane members voting for Biggs or Banks or Jordan. If they end up having to ditch McCarthy, my money is on Scalice.
It’ll be McCarthy but I think he will have to agree to change the rules with regard to the amendment process at a minimum.

Dems always, always stick together no matter what. Given that MAGA is a clear majority of the Republican Party it's the RINOs who have to bend the knee and vote with the rest of us. If not they're done.
If Dems "always stick together" Trump would not have won in 2016. Dems not voting in PA,WI and MI were the reason those states went to Trump. If you need proof of that consider Dems swept every Gubernatorial and Senate race in those 3 states from 2018-2022, except for Johnson being re-elected in WI.

I don’t want McCarthy to run things like Pelosi. Nothing was voted on without her specific approval. That’s crazy.
That is how it all runs now. All of the power lies in the hands of the Spealer and Senate Majority Leader as to deciding what actually gets voted on.

People always talk about wanting a change to how our government has been running but they always freak out about what that change looks like. If you aren't happy with the way things have been going, McCarthy is one of the last guys you want in that position. Tearing down some of the power of the Speaker is a good thing IMO.

You don't think Republicans do?

The zealots of both parties expect 100%. Look at Sinema and Manchin last 2 years. Progressives I know were livid, demanding the same loyalty that the GOP demands.
Well, no I don't.

Are you watching the news today?

It's not like McCarthy could delay the vote, like Nancy could on legislation until he had them lined up.

He'd already given concessions. These people against him want to have veto power over who gets committee assignments. They're not just dissatisfied with McCarthy. It's a power grab and the slim Republican majority allows the tail to wag the dog.

That is how it all runs now. All of the power lies in the hands of the Spealer and Senate Majority Leader as to deciding what actually gets voted on.

People always talk about wanting a change to how our government has been running but they always freak out about what that change looks like. If you aren't happy with the way things have been going, McCarthy is one of the last guys you want in that position. Tearing down some of the power of the Speaker is a good thing IMO.

Tearing down the Speaker's power is a great thing. I'm not sure the people opposing him really want that, they want HIM to have almost no power. But if it were Jordan being voted on, they would want him to have a lot of power.

Maybe the power of the Speaker should become a campaign issue we all vote on.

And as I've said before, do away with seniority.

Tearing down the Speaker's power is a great thing. I'm not sure the people opposing him really want that, they want HIM to have almost no power. But if it were Jordan being voted on, they would want him to have a lot of power.

Maybe the power of the Speaker should become a campaign issue we all vote on.

And as I've said before, do away with seniority.
Too bad it isn't strictly most votes. Dems might have snuck in and got speaker while gop split their vote lol

Nobody is going to run anything. The GOP does not have a governing majority as they have a dozen or so members that will vote no on everything. McCarthy's chance at becoming speaker was likely killed in the Nov elections when the GOP couldn't flip seats in PA and VA and build a comfortable margin with moderates.

Expect a lot of fun come time to raise the debt ceiling or fund the govt for FY24. 2011 all over again, probably worse.

I admit that I haven't been following this closely enough. Is the main issue with McCarthy that he did not start kissing Trump's ass soon enough, after Jan 6th, and that he even dared to criticize the Wonderful Wizard of Orange for a day or two?

I’ll never understand how Jim Jordan has paid no price whatsoever for his part in the Ohio State wrestling scandal. And now he may be speaker? Crazy.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
I’ll never understand how Jim Jordan has paid no price whatsoever for his part in the Ohio State wrestling scandal. And now he may be speaker? Crazy.

He'll never be Speaker. He doesn't want the job, for one. They're just using him as a stand-in for NOT KEVIN.

I admit that I haven't been following this closely enough. Is the main issue with McCarthy that he did not start kissing Trump's ass soon enough, after Jan 6th, and that he even dared to criticize the Wonderful Wizard of Orange for a day or two?

He's not crazy enough for the crazies.

Reactions: outside shooter
No.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT