ADVERTISEMENT

McCarthy

If you say, "So what?" to the possibility of a debt default, you're not worth talking to. Only idiots play with the debt ceiling like that.
Well looky there - CoH posts a polite reply to Goat and Goat responds by calling him an idiot.

Still setting that good example!

Reactions: Crayfish57
Well looky there - CoH posts a polite reply to Goat and Goat responds by calling him an idiot.

Still setting that good example!
Technically he said people that play with debt ceilings are idiots.

That is a bit different than directly saying co is an idiot, which would be a blanket insult rather than just on the subject matter at hand.

That is a bit different than directly saying co is an idiot, which would be a blanket insult rather than just on the subject matter at hand.
The people in Congress. If the 20 repub rebels or any of the Democrats try to use the debt ceiling as political leverage. They are the idiots.

All you dumbass liberal idiots do is insult people. Try to be more mature, moron.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
If you say, "So what?" to the possibility of a debt default, you're not worth talking to. Only idiots play with the debt ceiling like that.
Just stop your bullshit for once. I didn’t say what you claim.

If you think the debt increases need to be on autopilot with no regard for expected revenue nor any. spending priorities, then make your case, or STFU. I think it’s time for a modicum of spending discipline.

Reactions: Crayfish57 and DANC
Just stop your bullshit for once. I didn’t say what you claim.

If you think the debt increases need to be on autopilot with no regard for expected revenue nor any. spending priorities, then make your case, or STFU. I think it’s time for a modicum of spending discipline.
I don't have a problem with spending discipline, but that has nothing to do with raising the debt ceiling.

The debt ceiling shouldn't even exist. The government only borrows what it needs to in order to cover liabilities already approved by Congress.

I don't have a problem with spending discipline, but that has nothing to do with raising the debt ceiling.

The debt ceiling shouldn't even exist. The government only borrows what it needs to in order to cover liabilities already approved by Congress.
As you said, it’s all about leverage. Any negotiation is about leverage.

If the right wing nut jobs propose reasonable spending prioritization in exchange for a vote to increase the debt ceiling, and the swamp tells them to pound sand, who is responsible for a possible default?

I understand you always think in ad hominem terms, but it is possible for people like Boebert and Gaetz to make a reasonable proposal.

Reactions: DANC
ROTFLMAO. Do you actually believe congress thinks about this? The recent omnibus bill with its hundreds of earmarks, special interest spending, and God knows what else is in there, is the swampiest legislation among serious swampyness. That whole thing was done in secret. None of that is democracy. The right wing nut jobs have proposed some pretty good measures to end this crap.

As you said, it’s all about leverage. Any negotiation is about leverage.

If the right wing nut jobs propose reasonable spending prioritization in exchange for a vote to increase the debt ceiling, and the swamp tells them to pound sand, who is responsible for a possible default?

I understand you always think in ad hominem terms, but it is possible for people like Boebert and Gaetz to make a reasonable proposal.

It isn't leverage. We typically think poorly of people who run up massive credit card debt and then refuse to pay it. That is what people refusing to increase the debt ceiling do, exactly. The debate should be in the budget process. Not after we have "bought" the various goods. The idea of passing budgets as opposed to the omnibus should solve what you want to solve.

If your credit card spending is out of control, the solution is NOT to stop paying back what you already bought, it is to stop buying so much new stuff. The obligation to pay your debts is completely separate from your objective of not creating so much new debt. But the lazy folks pretend otherwise.

• Haha
The debate should be in the budget process
Exactly. But there is no f*cking budget process. All we got is a cabal of leadership and special interests, with billions of campaign contributions on the line, doing almost all discretionary spending. Nothing is public until the deals are made, and then membership has a day or two to vote on all of it. That ain’t a process.

Last edited:
If your credit card spending is out of control, the solution is NOT to stop paying back what you already bought, it is to stop buying so much new stuff. The obligation to pay your debts is completely separate from your objective of not creating so much new debt. But the lazy folks pretend otherwise.
If you are addicted to spending, you need an intervention.

Exactly. But there is no f*cling budget process. All we got is a cabal of leadership and special interests, with billions of campaign contributions on the line, doing almost all discretionary spending. Nothing is public until the deals are made, and then membership has a day or two to vote on all of it. That ain’t a process.

But that was one of the demands, each committee has to pass its bill separately just like in the old days. You hear me complain about blocking the ceiling, not about changing away from the omnibus bill.

Again, buying everything on credit and then refusing to pay the credit because you couldn't stop your impulse is frowned upon.

No it isn’t. It’s to have you change your habits before I pay your bill.
It's not my bill you are refusing to pay, it's yours too. It's not my habits you are insisting must change, it's yours too. The first doesn't do anything at all to solve the second. That's like childishly holding your breath to get your way.

• Haha
"Off the books" is inaccurate, yes. However, they were financed totally outside the normal budgeting process, and no consideration of how they were going to be paid for was ever made. When you claimed GWB had such low deficits, they weren't including the cost of the wars, which were financed through supplemental appropriations, not through budgeting. Hence, they weren't part of the "budget" deficits.
That’s still false. All the spending was included and the deficit was in fact that low. What you’re referring to is that the funding for the wars wasn’t included in the defense budget, it was in the budget though. All spending authorized and appropriated and spent is included in the spending for the year. It’s not legal not to include actual spending in the expenditures. That deficit was an accurate amount. The deficits blew up again the next year due to the financial crisis.

That’s still false. All the spending was included and the deficit was in fact that low. What you’re referring to is that the funding for the wars wasn’t included in the defense budget, it was in the budget though. All spending authorized and appropriated and spent is included in the spending for the year. It’s not legal not to include actual spending in the expenditures. That deficit was an accurate amount. The deficits blew up again the next year due to the financial crisis.
I didn't realize our 2000s wars were financed with debt and that was the first time we've done that. These numbers are eye popping:

• Wow
Reactions: outside shooter
Reactions: IUCrazy2 and DANC
I didn't realize our 2000s wars were financed with debt and that was the first time we've done that. These numbers are eye popping:

Seems to me excessive spending is widespread in both parties when it comes to our debt. Trying to place blame on only 1 party is nothing more than partisan politics.

The thing confusing to me is how the GOP plans to pay off that debt when they keep trying to reduce taxes on the wealthy.

• Haha
It isn't leverage. We typically think poorly of people who run up massive credit card debt and then refuse to pay it. That is what people refusing to increase the debt ceiling do, exactly. The debate should be in the budget process. Not after we have "bought" the various goods. The idea of passing budgets as opposed to the omnibus should solve what you want to solve.
The credit card analogy isn't the best example. Visa at least gets to cut off the degenerates when they continue to increase their debt loads. They in essence create a debt ceiling and stick to it eventually. The government just keeps printing.

Seems to me excessive spending is widespread in both parties when it comes to our debt. Trying to place blame on only 1 party is nothing more than partisan politics.

The thing confusing to me is how the GOP plans to pay off that debt when they keep trying to reduce taxes on the wealthy.
Addition is probably confusing to you. Cut government as well. Problem solved.

This isn't necessarily the most user friendly interface, but knock yourselves out on balancing the budget & let us know how you got there by downloading the final product & sharing. It's a lot harder than it looks. You can also google "balancing the budget game" and find multiple kinds of this from a lot of different fiscal groups.

I recall arguing here that we needed to raise taxes and cut spending to pay for the wars, partly for the money and partly for the shared sacrifice. There were not many here on either side in favor of that.

Someone save this for when some of us blast the Republicans for junk legislation.

I recall arguing here that we needed to raise taxes and cut spending to pay for the wars, partly for the money and partly for the shared sacrifice. There were not many here on either side in favor of that.
I just read this article from Drudge. I think the US could take a big hardware loss on the chin and have the capacity to mobilize industry and re-build relatively faster than other countries. But that got me thinking that getting the deficits under control is more critical than ever at the moment. Because that kind of mobilization would require HUUUUUUGE deficits. Since we've already been running deficits over $1T since 2017 (it's quaint to remember the pearl clutching when the Obama admin had $1T deficits), a budget busting mobilization would have a real chance of making inflation a problem very few will be able to handle.

LBJ was the last President to be up front about financing the wars.

He also specifically instrumented the 10% surtax to fund the war. No one since has been that straightforward about financing war.
We went off the gold standard in 71. Unfortunately, it's much easier to finance everything through debt, now. No, need to raise taxes, which isn't popular.

I don't know where to put this but here. Hahahahahaha. So doomed. I hope Dre sues her.

Ask the lawyers on here how many people file from bankruptcy to get out of paying their bills. They make a living off of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT