ADVERTISEMENT

Mac is back!

Woodson has done a good job identifying and recruiting kids that care more about money & individual success than winning, culture, etc. Overpaying to get & keep kids is a great long-term strategy.🙄
All talented players are going to need to be paid. It's the new reality. Look at Malik Mack. He's leaving Harvard because the NIL opportunities are so much better elsewhere.

Woodson has done a good job identifying and recruiting kids that care more about money & individual success than winning, culture, etc. Overpaying to get & keep kids is a great long-term strategy.🙄
Serious questions, since you are obviously more plugged in than I am:
1. How do you know what these kids care more about?
2. In the new world of college sports, isn’t paying to get and keep kids the main long-term strategy for most P5 programs?

All talented players are going to need to be paid. It's the new reality. Look at Malik Mack. He's leaving Harvard because the NIL opportunities are so much better elsewhere.
The use of the word overpaid is important in the context of my post. Never complained about paying players.

Didn't Edey get 6 figures from the Purdue NIL this year?

It's just reality now. Doesn't mean kids don't want to win. No one at that level wants to lose or is even indifferent to losing. The kids on this year's team wanted to win. They were just poorly coached.

Galloway, Mgbako, Reneau, and Tucker are a good core to start with. Hopefully Cupps improves.
We still have 6 spots? I don't think we'll go into the season anticipating Cupps as the starting PG. My belief is you need to be 3 deep at most positions: PG, post and wings/shooters. That's a starter, backup and developing player. Next year I'd expect Cupps to be the backup, whereas this year we didn't have that depth and so even though he should've been our developmental PG as a freshman he got pressed into backup and starter... one of the reasons for our struggles.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Didn't Edey get 6 figures from the Purdue NIL this year?

It's just reality now. Doesn't mean kids don't want to win. No one at that level wants to lose or is even indifferent to losing. The kids on this year's team wanted to win. They were just poorly coached.
The figures/rumors I heard were that Edey was in 7 figures.

Reactions: ribbont
Serious questions, since you are obviously more plugged in than I am:
1. How do you know what these kids care more about?
2. In the new world of college sports, isn’t paying to get and keep kids the main long-term strategy for most P5 programs?
It is likely I am plugged in more than you & have first hand knowledge of at least one current recruit, & second hand of others through him, but any deductive reasoning can lead to the conclusion that a kid that comes to play for Mike Woodson does not put winning as a top priority, given the fact that he has not proven to win anywhere he has been a coach. As I stated, we are paying more to kids to get them here than what other schools would pay them. I don’t care about paying kids, but overpaying is necessary because this staff stinks.

It’s so aggravating to hear a parent & HS Coach talk about the difference in locker rooms & culture between IU vs PU, MSU, ND, OSU as seen on recruiting visits. Only one was described as chaos, with a bunch of hangers-on, dogs, lack of discipline & over site, etc. But IU is offering more money. This staff & strategy stink, & the sooner they are gone, the better.

I’m good with MM coming back! His defense needs significant improvement though! Specifically his 3 pt close out defense! hek, the whole team needs to improve in that area! Hope MM can also improve on more of a killer offensive mentality also!

It's been reported elsewhere that he is on an OV to Mizzou today. Has me scratching my head a bit.
Oooof. If he has one more year of bball left in his bball career, maybe he wants to maximize earnings. That’s very understandable as he thinks about his career.

I think he comes to IU. We will match NIL and Woody may prefer an older player/PG per some of his presser comments. Mizzou is bad.

Reactions: IU2Bgood
No, he has kids who want to improve their chances of being lottery picks and are mature enough to practice "delayed gratification".
You couldn't be more misinformed or wrong.
Go IU and thanks CMW and MM.

MM is making much more at IU than he could as a pro in G-League or whatever dev league he could get. IU really needs him so it’s unlikely anyone topped our NIL, especially with how much was given to Woody.

MM improved quite a bit last year and Woody did a good job sticking with him. But he is also taking the clear best $ option available.

It is likely I am plugged in more than you & have first hand knowledge of at least one current recruit, & second hand of others through him, but any deductive reasoning can lead to the conclusion that a kid that comes to play for Mike Woodson does not put winning as a top priority, given the fact that he has not proven to win anywhere he has been a coach. As I stated, we are paying more to kids to get them here than what other schools would pay them. I don’t care about paying kids, but overpaying is necessary because this staff stinks.

It’s so aggravating to hear a parent & HS Coach talk about the difference in locker rooms & culture between IU vs PU, MSU, ND, OSU as seen on recruiting visits. Only one was described as chaos, with a bunch of hangers-on, dogs, lack of discipline & over site, etc. But IU is offering more money. This staff & strategy stink, & the sooner they are gone, the better.
Thank you.

I assume we need to add another big? We basically just have Malik... Who we know is foul prone.
Maybe 7’2” Will Berg can be enticed to portal. No one wants to follow in Edey’s big shoes, the man whose jersey number was retired mid-season.

MM is making much more at IU than he could as a pro in G-League or whatever dev league he could get. IU really needs him so it’s unlikely anyone topped our NIL, especially with how much was given to Woody.

MM improved quite a bit last year and Woody did a good job sticking with him. But he is also taking the clear best $ option available.
How much?

So with the addition of Tucker and loss of Ware, we are pretty much where we were last season. Still no good guards or shooting. Nothing to celebrate

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT