ADVERTISEMENT

It isn't in schools

Yes, you are.

Still no examples, let alone that it's prevalent across many districts.

Just a bunch self-marginalized, middle aged or older white men running around acting like 1st graders are being radicalized. LOL
is part of the cult radicalization to put your fingers in your ears and close your eyes.

dei woke indoctrination is prevalent all over the country. from private schools to jucos

do you know how hard it is to bring these actions and how frustrated parents and faculty must be to go to these lengths

it's literally part of organization's that provide instruction. you think they do that for shits and grins?

I'm tired of reading theory and someone else's opinion. Living in a community where this was FRONT AND CENTER during a school board election, to the point where those making the accusations were on Fox News, not to mention local news stations, there were never any actual examples given.

Another school board election lost, and now we're talking about library books.

Even during open session readings in our state legislation, as language in bills were discussed and debated, those leading the charge against "CRT" and DEI were pressed for examples. Crickets. Purple 4 Parents, Moms 4 Liberty...not one example given. I watched all of the public hearings. So this is when the rubber hit the road, and they mostly struck out.

There are no examples in this column. Just conjecture. Someone wants you to believe it, and you slurp it up like a good boy.
Cool story. If these DEI programs aren’t effective or doing what they claim to want to do, why aren’t you fighting against their funding? Why are millions being funneled to programs you claim are not doing anything?

Yes, you are.

Still no examples, let alone that it's prevalent across many districts.

Just a bunch self-marginalized, middle aged or older white men running around acting like 1st graders are being radicalized. LOL
wake up

• The Washington State Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction has developed a model tool geared toward the review of instructional material for biased content. This tool helps schools work toward equitable and culturally responsive education.
  • The CC Network, in support of the Michigan Department of Education, has created a report to aid in the identification of resources and tools that can be used by instructional teams to evaluate and assess bias in curricular materials.
  • The New York State Department of Education has created a culturally responsive-sustaining (CR-S) education framework for educators. This framework helps educators create student-centered learning environments that affirm racial, linguistic and cultural identities; prepare students for rigor and independent learning; develop students’ abilities to connect across lines of difference; elevate historically marginalized voices; and empower students as agents of social change.
  • The Washington State Educator Standards Board has adopted a new version (2021) of cultural competency, diversity, equity, and inclusion (CCDEI) standards. The purpose of these standards is to prepare educators to support their students with demonstrated cultural responsiveness, diversity, equity and inclusion.
  • The New Mexico Public Education Department has created a handbook to provide guidance on culturally and linguistically responsiveness.
  • The Illinois State Board of Education 2020-2023 strategic plan addresses DEI by aiming to adopt culturally responsive teaching and leading standards for educator preparation programs; embed the history and accomplishments of historically underrepresented groups (e.g., Latino/a, African-American, LGBTQ) in the Illinois Social Science Learning Standards; and establish a school/district leadership department that will support the recruitment of a diverse leadership pipeline with a focus on race and culturally
my ex's school district

Who is talking about wide level? You were given a specific example on a specific school yet you still don’t believe it. Because you won’t believe it. Because you can’t believe it. Because then you’d have to admit you were wrong, and we know that’s never ever ever ever going to happen.
Bloom is a loon. Not worth engaging.

Don't @ me with this stupid bullshit unless you want to end up very angry. Keep living in your us vs them filled world. That mind set will only guarantee you never have contentment, happiness or peace.. just fear paranoia and hate.

he's a loon but fun to slap around. love the combo of confidence, arrogance, and limited education/information
You always try to pander to idiots, and present people who don't agree with you as being dumber than you all the while calling the dumbest posters on this board the dream team ... Do you really think people don't see through your bullshit? Are you really that socially inept and unaware or just a foolish clown act?

I'm voting foolish clown act ..

Are you really that socially inept and unaware or just a foolish clown act?
i think people with a sense of humor enjoy joking around. i think once again you're triggered at the mention of woke because you're in denial.

and no one on this board is more socially inept than you, and that's saying a lot

Reactions: jet812
You always try to pander to idiots, and present people who don't agree with you as being dumber than you all the while calling the dumbest posters on this board the dream team ... Do you really think people don't see through your bullshit? Are you really that socially inept and unaware or just a foolish clown act?

I'm voting foolish clown act ..
Dumb.

• Haha
Reactions: mattndallas
Here’s a new phenomenon, I think: make a HS course so difficult the “privileged” can’t get an A, but provide unlimited make up opportunities, no extra credit, and no zeros so that it’s nearly impossible to get below a C. Boom. Equity in grading that squeezes together the grade distributions.

I’ve heard this is playing out in a freshman history course in my district and parents are furious.

My son is graduating 8th grade next week. High school has already assigned him his summer reading. Which classic do you think they chose, to prepare him for high school rigor? The Great Gatsby? Catcher in the Rye? A Clockwork Orange? The Adventures of Huck Finn?

Oh no. They assigned Fresh Ink. An anthology of diverse character's stories and their "lived experience." I'm guessing his freshman English class will spend a lot of time exploring and analyzing "whiteness."

A summary of the stories from Goodreads:

Eraser Tattoo by Jason Reynolds | ★★★☆☆ (3.5 Stars)
Jason Reynolds can do no wrong in my eyes - Long Way Down is one lf the best books I’ve ever read. I loved the sentiment of the story and the rich history you can feel between childhood best friends Shay and Dante. Shay is giving Date an ‘eraser tattoo’ of an “S” to remember her by because she’s moving. I loved the focus on the importance of their relationship, but the story didn’t pull me in.

Meet Cute by Malinda Lo | ★★★☆☆
This was a fun and cute story about a girl named Nic who is cosplaying at a Denver Con, when the lights are knocked out by a storm, she a fellow cosplayer Tamia go looking for Nic’s brother. I loved seeing Nic and Tamia handle the can gatekeepers who suck the fun out of everything. But I had some personal preference issues that lowered my overall enjoyment of the story. Meta pop culture references always pull me out of stories and the heavy references in the beginning didn’t help. I also think I would have liked the story more if it was written in first person. But again those are personal issues and I still really liked the story overall.

Don’t Pass Me By by Eric Gansworth | ★★★★☆
This story was much more grounded than the first two. We follow “Doobie” a Native student who is going to a white school. We see Doobie discuss passing (because many of the other native kids at school are white passing and not picked on), gentrification, and the dismantling of native culture and white-washing history. This was such a powerful and impactful story and I loved it.

Be Cool For Once by Aminah Mae Safi| ★★★★★
My first five star read and it was so adorably cute I couldn’t handle it. Shirin is a Muslim American teen having the time of her life at a concert for one of her favorite bands and she sees her crush Jeffery show up (and this is the point I got giddy). Shirin is worried about the spotlight and recognition that comes with dating ‘Mr. Popular.’ This was just so cute and fluffy and perfect.

Tags by Walter Dean Morgan | ★★★☆☆
This is a truly unique story told in a one act play about a group of young black boys who’ve died tagging a wall. I loved framing tagging as a way to immortalize themselves and create a lasting legacy, where they’re not forgotten.

Why I Learned to Cook by Sara Farizan | ★★★★★
Yas wants to learn to cook Persian food to share with her girlfriend, Hannah, and gets lessons from her unapologetic grandmother.Yas’ grandmother was amazing. She is such a fierce lady and I aspire to be her. I loved seeing Yas gain an appreciation for her culture and seeing her grandmother love and accept her. It was just great.

A Stranger at the Bochinche by Daniel José Older | ★★☆☆☆
Set in Brooklyn, this scifi story went over my head. I felt like there wasn’t context for what was happening - we just see this cult-like group that want their god to come down to Earth, and try to steal a design notebook that can help them. And there’s maybe aliens, or demons, I wasn’t sure.

A Boy’s Duty by Sharon G. Flake | ★★★☆☆
This story follows a young black boy in WWII, who ran away from home and wants to join the Navy. I liked seeing the life he’s built in New Orleans and the vibrant culture present in the city. I really liked seeing his artistic talent displayed and his genuinely good heart. This story really was about following your dreams, but not putting yourself above other.

One Voice by Melissa De La Cruz | ★★★★☆
Jas is a Sanford college student who’s entire college experience shifts when she sees racists graffiti spray painted across campus.Jas lives in fear of her family getting deported and this graffitti starts taking over all of her mind space. It really shows how harmful and deeply painful discrimination and racism is. But I really loved seeing Jas talk with other minority students and finding a power in their shared experieces.

Paladin/Samuari by Gene Luen Yang and Illustrations by Thien Pham | ★★☆☆☆
I’m not really a fan of graphic novels, I just haven’t found one that’s clicked with me yet. It also didn’t help that this was about a faux Dungeon and Dragons campaign game where a guy wants to play as a samurai instead of the traditional Paladin. There was also something about a part at a girl he likes house.

Catch, Pull, Drive by Schuyler Bailar | ★★★★☆
This was an amazing story that featured a trans boys who’s finally come out to his school and is at his first swim practice since coming out. We see the challenges he faces - a new locker room, ignorant comments from teammates - but also see his loving parents, and a friend on the team who supports him as well. This was such an inspirational story that moved me.

Super Human by Nicola Yoon | ★★★★★
I have never been disappointed by a Nicola Yoon short story and Super Human was definitely a standout for me. We follow Syrita as she’s chosen to convince disillusioned superhero “X” to restore his faith in humanity, because she was the first person he saved years ago. But X, a black superhero, has lost his faith no longer thinks that humanity is saving. The reason he’s changed his mind is a punch to the gut, and is best uncovered while reading the story. But this story was just so powerful and a perfect way to conclude this anthology.

If this was one of just many different types of books from different political viewpoints, I'd love it. But I'm thinking that this is the main thrust of the entire English department in a progressive/woke school.

Woke needs to die, already. Anyone have a recommendation for a real piece of literature I can have my son read this summer?

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
My son is graduating 8th grade next week. High school has already assigned him his summer reading. Which classic do you think they chose, to prepare him for high school rigor? The Great Gatsby? Catcher in the Rye? A Clockwork Orange? The Adventures of Huck Finn?

Oh no. They assigned Fresh Ink. An anthology of diverse character's stories and their "lived experience." I'm guessing his freshman English class will spend a lot of time exploring and analyzing "whiteness."

A summary of the stories from Goodreads:

Eraser Tattoo by Jason Reynolds | ★★★☆☆ (3.5 Stars)
Jason Reynolds can do no wrong in my eyes - Long Way Down is one lf the best books I’ve ever read. I loved the sentiment of the story and the rich history you can feel between childhood best friends Shay and Dante. Shay is giving Date an ‘eraser tattoo’ of an “S” to remember her by because she’s moving. I loved the focus on the importance of their relationship, but the story didn’t pull me in.

Meet Cute by Malinda Lo | ★★★☆☆
This was a fun and cute story about a girl named Nic who is cosplaying at a Denver Con, when the lights are knocked out by a storm, she a fellow cosplayer Tamia go looking for Nic’s brother. I loved seeing Nic and Tamia handle the can gatekeepers who suck the fun out of everything. But I had some personal preference issues that lowered my overall enjoyment of the story. Meta pop culture references always pull me out of stories and the heavy references in the beginning didn’t help. I also think I would have liked the story more if it was written in first person. But again those are personal issues and I still really liked the story overall.

Don’t Pass Me By by Eric Gansworth | ★★★★☆
This story was much more grounded than the first two. We follow “Doobie” a Native student who is going to a white school. We see Doobie discuss passing (because many of the other native kids at school are white passing and not picked on), gentrification, and the dismantling of native culture and white-washing history. This was such a powerful and impactful story and I loved it.

Be Cool For Once by Aminah Mae Safi| ★★★★★
My first five star read and it was so adorably cute I couldn’t handle it. Shirin is a Muslim American teen having the time of her life at a concert for one of her favorite bands and she sees her crush Jeffery show up (and this is the point I got giddy). Shirin is worried about the spotlight and recognition that comes with dating ‘Mr. Popular.’ This was just so cute and fluffy and perfect.

Tags by Walter Dean Morgan | ★★★☆☆
This is a truly unique story told in a one act play about a group of young black boys who’ve died tagging a wall. I loved framing tagging as a way to immortalize themselves and create a lasting legacy, where they’re not forgotten.

Why I Learned to Cook by Sara Farizan | ★★★★★
Yas wants to learn to cook Persian food to share with her girlfriend, Hannah, and gets lessons from her unapologetic grandmother.Yas’ grandmother was amazing. She is such a fierce lady and I aspire to be her. I loved seeing Yas gain an appreciation for her culture and seeing her grandmother love and accept her. It was just great.

A Stranger at the Bochinche by Daniel José Older | ★★☆☆☆
Set in Brooklyn, this scifi story went over my head. I felt like there wasn’t context for what was happening - we just see this cult-like group that want their god to come down to Earth, and try to steal a design notebook that can help them. And there’s maybe aliens, or demons, I wasn’t sure.

A Boy’s Duty by Sharon G. Flake | ★★★☆☆
This story follows a young black boy in WWII, who ran away from home and wants to join the Navy. I liked seeing the life he’s built in New Orleans and the vibrant culture present in the city. I really liked seeing his artistic talent displayed and his genuinely good heart. This story really was about following your dreams, but not putting yourself above other.

One Voice by Melissa De La Cruz | ★★★★☆
Jas is a Sanford college student who’s entire college experience shifts when she sees racists graffiti spray painted across campus.Jas lives in fear of her family getting deported and this graffitti starts taking over all of her mind space. It really shows how harmful and deeply painful discrimination and racism is. But I really loved seeing Jas talk with other minority students and finding a power in their shared experieces.

Paladin/Samuari by Gene Luen Yang and Illustrations by Thien Pham | ★★☆☆☆
I’m not really a fan of graphic novels, I just haven’t found one that’s clicked with me yet. It also didn’t help that this was about a faux Dungeon and Dragons campaign game where a guy wants to play as a samurai instead of the traditional Paladin. There was also something about a part at a girl he likes house.

Catch, Pull, Drive by Schuyler Bailar | ★★★★☆
This was an amazing story that featured a trans boys who’s finally come out to his school and is at his first swim practice since coming out. We see the challenges he faces - a new locker room, ignorant comments from teammates - but also see his loving parents, and a friend on the team who supports him as well. This was such an inspirational story that moved me.

Super Human by Nicola Yoon | ★★★★★
I have never been disappointed by a Nicola Yoon short story and Super Human was definitely a standout for me. We follow Syrita as she’s chosen to convince disillusioned superhero “X” to restore his faith in humanity, because she was the first person he saved years ago. But X, a black superhero, has lost his faith no longer thinks that humanity is saving. The reason he’s changed his mind is a punch to the gut, and is best uncovered while reading the story. But this story was just so powerful and a perfect way to conclude this anthology.

If this was one of just many different types of books from different political viewpoints, I'd love it. But I'm thinking that this is the main thrust of the entire English department in a progressive/woke school.

Woke needs to die, already. Anyone have a recommendation for a real piece of literature I can have my son read this summer?
The woke cult sucks
Suggestion. Love the real lit but mix in some light stuff too. Carl Hiasson teen etc

The woke cult sucks
Suggestion. Love the real lit but mix in some light stuff too. Carl Hiasson teen etc
My biggest concern is that the whole English department is operating under the assumption that “lived experience” has epistemological superiority over every other type of knowledge or truth. That’s how you end up with these crazy movements.

It also seems to be antithetical to any kind of self-reflection, which is what I think a true education is all about.

My biggest concern is that the whole English department is operating under the assumption that “lived experience” has epistemological superiority over every other type of knowledge or truth. That’s how you end up with these crazy movements.

It also seems to be antithetical to any kind of self-reflection, which is what I think a true education is all about.
Are you stuck at that school? Otherwise you just have to be active and de-program. My daughter goes to a crazy woke school and she comes home to my caveman ways to balance things out for what I hope will be a normal human

Are you stuck at that school? Otherwise you just have to be active and de-program. My daughter goes to a crazy woke school and she comes home to my caveman ways to balance things out for what I hope will be a normal human
He didn't want to go to the local Catholic school, which I'm fine with and saves me $20k per year. He wants to go to school with his Bruhs. I get it. In fact, I've spent a lot of time inculcating in my kids a sense that friends and friendships are really important. So that is now biting me in the ass.

I just wish there was an anecdote, written at his level, that I could give him to read. I guess this is a hole in the market that someone should fill.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
He didn't want to go to the local Catholic school, which I'm fine with and saves me $20k per year. He wants to go to school with his Bruhs. I get it. In fact, I've spent a lot of time inculcating in my kids a sense that friends and friendships are really important. So that is now biting me in the ass.

I just wish there was an anecdote, written at his level, that I could give him to read. I guess this is a hole in the market that someone should fill.
Same boat debating catholic for high school. $20k a year. Friends will likely end up dispositive but the two schools are only a block away

Reactions: BradStevens
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT