ADVERTISEMENT

If you don't like a poster

Jordan Wells

Hall of Famer
Feb 11, 2015
I'm not sure everyone is aware of this so I'd like to take the time to address this.

The other day someone on my Facebook page posted something ugly I didn't care for. I didn't email Facebook and demand they be banned, and/or threaten to leave Facebook. I simply unfriended the person and then I don't have to see them anymore.

If you don't like another poster and just don't want to read them ever again, you can click their name, then click "Ignore". Not only do you not see their posts, you also don't see posts other people make when they directly reply to them.

If there is a particular poster that a large number of people don't like, if you all put that person on "ignore", would that person even exist? In a way, no, because hardly no one would see them post. On Facebook, if someone doesn't have any friends, no one even sees their posts.

The system is set up that way so each user can control their own experience. If we start drawing hard lines in the sand I promise it's opening a can of worms. Can a poster use a cussword? What if they post a cussword with stars? It becomes an exhausting road to go down.

Additionally, there are some people who enjoy arguing. Then if we ban someone, we get emails saying "why did you ban so and so?"

If you don't like a poster, please try the ignore feature. It enhances a reader's experience almost every time I've asked them to try it, and we don't have to micromanage anything and start making posting guidelines that not everyone agrees with.

I'm not sure everyone is aware of this so I'd like to take the time to address this.

The other day someone on my Facebook page posted something ugly I didn't care for. I didn't email Facebook and demand they be banned, and/or threaten to leave Facebook. I simply unfriended the person and then I don't have to see them anymore.

If you don't like another poster and just don't want to read them ever again, you can click their name, then click "Ignore". Not only do you not see their posts, you also don't see posts other people make when they directly reply to them.

If there is a particular poster that a large number of people don't like, if you all put that person on "ignore", would that person even exist? In a way, no, because hardly no one would see them post. On Facebook, if someone doesn't have any friends, no one even sees their posts.

The system is set up that way so each user can control their own experience. If we start drawing hard lines in the sand I promise it's opening a can of worms. Can a poster use a cussword? What if they post a cussword with stars? It becomes an exhausting road to go down.

Additionally, there are some people who enjoy arguing. Then if we ban someone, we get emails saying "why did you ban so and so?"

If you don't like a poster, please try the ignore feature. It enhances a reader's experience almost every time I've asked them to try it, and we don't have to micromanage anything and start making posting guidelines that not everyone agrees with.

Then why do you have forum rules?

Ignoring the idiots is fine and Many of us have done that with Ordfan (now ewez or whatever) the embittered clown you have allowed to come back...what...seven times now? The guy is once again destroying your board.

Why do I care? I have been around these boards for a long time and I hate to see them destroyed unnessessarily. Your call, there are plenty of other IU boards where the personal attacks, plagerism, and outright lies are better managed. Yours is sadly becoming a cesspool and several of us are losing interest.

Ignoring the idiots is fine and Many of us have done that with Ordfan (now ewez or whatever) the embittered clown you have allowed to come back...what...seven times now? The guy is once again destroying your board.

Why do I care? I have been around these boards for a long time and I hate to see them destroyed unnessessarily. Your call, there are plenty of other IU boards where the personal attacks, plagerism, and outright lies are better managed. Yours is sadly becoming a cesspool and several of us are losing interest.
And this is why you deserve to be banned here. You make accusations that are both untrue and unsupported, you personally attack posters who have different view than your own, you're a known stalker, and you rarely talk IU sports. The violator here is you.

Reactions: joe for prez

If everyone puts someone on ignore then no one would see their posts. So they wouldn’t be destroying anything because no one would see what they say.

Just asking you guys to buy in. Please try it for me.

Will do. My two cents on the matter for what little it's worth, is that casual users of this board that come to see what's going on with IU football and want to discuss the positives and negatives will have to sift through the usual suspect's clutter and could easily be turned off by it.

The derailing of threads seem to be happening at an alarming rate at the moment.

If everyone puts someone on ignore then no one would see their posts. So they wouldn’t be destroying anything because no one would see what they say.

Way ahead of you on ignoring the trolls.

The point you are missing is that the troll is still there trashing every thread and gutting your board regardless of who sees it. New posters wont stay.

The board is a shadow of what it once was ias a result. The quality of discussion is eroded as this guy isn't here to talk sports..Just attack people to somehow repair his lack of self esteem. People who have never set foot on IUs campus are limiting your success.

As I said...your call.

Like Court said, your choice, but you have rules you are not enforcing. Telling people to use ignore is like telling the patient to ignore their cancer, problem is the cancer gets worse. Your cancer is getting worse. I get that mods cannot spend their day intervening in individual spats, but when one poster continually belittles and insults multiple people because he obviously has psychological issues, it is time to act. Having a differing opinion than another poster is fine, but you should at least require civility.

Way ahead of you on ignoring the trolls.

The point you are missing is that the troll is still there trashing every thread and gutting your board regardless of who sees it. New posters wont stay.

The board is a shadow of what it once was ias a result. The quality of discussion is eroded as this guy isn't here to talk sports..Just attack people to somehow repair his lack of self esteem. People who have never set foot on IUs campus are limiting your success.

As I said...your call.

If everyone puts someone on ignore and I get a bunch of complaints still then we can consider escalating things. Things here seem combative, but sometimes debates in sports get heated, and that’s where I go back to starting to legislate rules, where do you draw the line between acceptable debating and what’s personal?

It’s very tough.

Like Court said, your choice, but you have rules you are not enforcing. Telling people to use ignore is like telling the patient to ignore their cancer, problem is the cancer gets worse. Your cancer is getting worse. I get that mods cannot spend their day intervening in individual spats, but when one poster continually belittles and insults multiple people because he obviously has psychological issues, it is time to act. Having a differing opinion than another poster is fine, but you should at least require civility.

But like I said above, on say Facebook if I see someone that over and over just agitated me and said awful things, the answer is for me to just unfriend them or block them.

Just asking you guys to try it for me. If it doesn’t help let me know.

But like I said above, on say Facebook if I see someone that over and over just agitated me and said awful things, the answer is for me to just unfriend them or block them.

Just asking you guys to try it for me. If it doesn’t help let me know.
I’ve had said poster on ignore for some time now, but it doesn’t keep threads from breaking down , your board, but you are losing it and I think it is just lazy. What exactly does someone have to do to get a vacation?
BTW, this board is not FB, much more limited audience and that makes a big difference.

If everyone puts someone on ignore and I get a bunch of complaints still then we can consider escalating things. Things here seem combative, but sometimes debates in sports get heated, and that’s where I go back to starting to legislate rules, where do you draw the line between acceptable debating and what’s personal?

It’s very tough.

The one troll most of us complain about has been banned maybe seven times and is completely over the top. This case is not difficult to make a call on, as it is 75% personal attacks. There are too many other boards with lots of former posters who gave up here.

Reactions: IUgradman
I’ve had said poster on ignore for some time now, but it doesn’t keep threads from breaking down , your board, but you are losing it and I think it is just lazy. What exactly does someone have to do to get a vacation?
BTW, this board is not FB, much more limited audience and that makes a big difference.

It’s not lazy, it’s a matter of principle. It’d actually be lazy to just Instaban someone and move on.

I’m trying to make a culture where each user can control their own experience. If we have to start micromanaging things we start getting down a road with rules that have grey areas and are really hard to enforce.

Just encourage people to give it a try for me. I’m not going anywhere. Give it a try and some time, if it doesn’t work I’m totally willing to revisit.

Like most conflicts, there is plenty of blame to go around. I appreciate all the posts. I don’t need a button or big brother to provide an electronic safe room. Sticks and stones people. Sticks and stones. Bone up.

Things here seem combative, but sometimes debates in sports get heated, and that’s where I go back to starting to legislate rules, where do you draw the line between acceptable debating and what’s personal?
Use the eye test. You're assuming this person is here to discuss sports. He is not. He is here to sow discord. He would do the same on a knitting board. Giving him the benefit of the doubt is putting your head in the sand. The benefits of removing him will far far exceed any cost you think there might be for stifling "discussion".

It’s not lazy, it’s a matter of principle. It’d actually be lazy to just Instaban someone and move on.

I’m trying to make a culture where each user can control their own experience. If we have to start micromanaging things we start getting down a road with rules that have grey areas and are really hard to enforce.

Just encourage people to give it a try for me. I’m not going anywhere. Give it a try and some time, if it doesn’t work I’m totally willing to revisit.
Great idea, in most instances right approach,but there are cases where those in charge have to step in for the good of the cause.

Reactions: Jordan Wells

I think the easiest rule to implement and follow on this board is to remain on topic during a thread. I couldnt care less about how someone feels about sunshine pushers, the "truth", the guts it takes to make a gameday prediction etc... When I'm just trying to discuss and read critiques about what took place on the field Saturday and how we need to improve.

Use the eye test. You're assuming this person is here to discuss sports. He is not. He is here to sow discord. He would do the same on a knitting board. Giving him the benefit of the doubt is putting your head in the sand. The benefits of removing him will far far exceed any cost you think there might be for stifling "discussion".

I’ve done this for a while though, when I try just using the eye test, it doesnt fly. If you ban someone off an eye test, then I get messages asking “why did you ban so and so? I liked arguing with him” or whatever the case is. This gets brought up with Dan Dakich on the premium board where I get messages from people telling me both to ban him and keep him.

And so then you have to set in stone rules that have grey areas and are just generally hard to enforce.

It’s not a fun road to go down. My hope is each person wants to control their own experience and natural selection will take care of itself.

I appreciate everyone’s feedback btw. The dialogue is good to have, always good to know what folks think.

Like most conflicts, there is plenty of blame to go around. I appreciate all the posts. I don’t need a button or big brother to provide an electronic safe room. Sticks and stones people. Sticks and stones. Bone up.
Maybe , but there would be a lot less blame to go around if the cancer were removed. You and I don’t always agree, but are able to have a civil exchange of thoughts , as it should be.

Reactions: Hoosier_Hack
I’ve done this for a while though, when I try just using the eye test, it doesnt fly. If you ban someone off an eye test, then I get messages asking “why did you ban so and so? I liked arguing with him” or whatever the case is. This gets brought up with Dan Dakich on the premium board where I get messages from people telling me both to ban him and keep him.

And so then you have to set in stone rules that have grey areas and are just generally hard to enforce.

It’s not a fun road to go down. My hope is each person wants to control their own experience and natural selection will take care of itself.
It will, you are going to lose a lot of good people.

i think we all know who you're alluding to. maybe he just needs a hug.

It will, you are going to lose a lot of good people.

Well look, like I said earlier, I'm paying attention to this and I'm not going anywhere.

So let's just try it. Try it and give it some time.

If it doesn't work I'm totally willing to revisit.

I don't envy your situation. I cut my online teeth on Usenet (long before your time) which is as wide open and vicious as it gets. Which is also why of the 30,000 odd groups that most news servers carry, only a few hundred are active with worthwhile content. The rest are smoldering ruins, laid low by people just like the poster in question here. It can happen here too.

Well look, like I said earlier, I'm paying attention to this and I'm not going anywhere.

So let's just try it. Try it and give it some time.

If it doesn't work I'm totally willing to revisit.

That's fair, I just dont really believe this poster has any love for the University, its teams, or its fans whatsoever. Reminds me of the loopers way back in day.

Thanks for taking the time to come to the board and having a discussion with us degenerates.

A few years ago I was suspended for three weeks because of my comments about the weak non-conference schedule. The forum turn into celebration only for those who drank the Kool-Aid. It's much better now except for a couple of individuals. In the next couple of weeks most of us will be on the same page, whatever that is, after we have had a few more conference games.

Reactions: fpeaugh
That's fair, I just dont really believe this poster has any love for the University, its teams, or its fans whatsoever. Reminds me of the loopers way back in day.

Thanks for taking the time to come to the board and having a discussion with us degenerates.

My pleasure!

Maybe , but there would be a lot less blame to go around if the cancer were removed. You and I don’t always agree, but are able to have a civil exchange of thoughts , as it should be.
I agree with you Johnsy but some of these claims above just isn’t my experience. There are several threads that the party everyone is speaking of, posted and was personally attacked. Not about what he posted but all the different usernames they claim he has had. To me it doesn’t take away from the threads.... but to be fair, he can’t post anything on here without getting personally attacked by some.... I just haven’t had him attack me in anyway and I’ve had several discussions with him....anyway....

Asking people to be banned is just.....strange to me. If we didn’t have flaws we wouldn’t have the most losing football program in NCAA.

Oh well. Just my feeling on the banning. This is a great board.

A few years ago I was suspended for three weeks because of my comments about the weak non-conference schedule. The forum turn into celebration only for those who drank the Kool-Aid. It's much better now except for a couple of individuals. In the next couple of weeks most of us will be on the same page, whatever that is, after we have had a few more conference games.

Yeah this is part of the slippery slope I'm referring to.

At a previous school, there was a poster who I knew had went through some really, really tough life circumstances, and the school sports was his one outlet.

Unfortunately those experiences led him to a rather pessimistic outlook at times - it was just the kind of person he became - and I constantly had people asking me to ban him because they thought he was too negative.

It was a really tough situation to be in.

I don't want to ban folks for being negative. Sometimes negativity is warranted, and I think most people would agree with that.

But then sometimes negative folks can be overbearing and it just gets to a point where people can't take it. It's tough to really nail down with strict rules.

So my hope is everyone can use ignore and control their own experience and natural selection takes care of itself.

Reactions: Hoosier_Hack
Used the ignore feature today and feel like a whole new man.
I've followed Jordan's request as well. Reluctantly. The poster in question has nothing to offer me, but those who reply to him might. It's a tradeoff I didn't want to be forced to make.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
Let me be blunt. I don't think anybody wants the guy banned for being negative. They want him banned for being an asshole.
This. I'm a blatant homer for the most part and I know that. There are plenty of people here I disagree with that are generally more negative than I am. That's fine. Ordfan 12.0 is way beyond that and ruins every thread. Orbit is the same way on the premium boards.

Reactions: CC Mac
Let me be blunt. I don't think anybody wants the guy banned for being negative. They want him banned for being an asshole.

Hah I hear ya. But sometimes negative people can be assholes by nature.

It just becomes tough to separate and legislate.

I agree with you Johnsy but some of these claims above just isn’t my experience. There are several threads that the party everyone is speaking of, posted and was personally attacked. Not about what he posted but all the different usernames they claim he has had. To me it doesn’t take away from the threads.... but to be fair, he can’t post anything on here without getting personally attacked by some.... I just haven’t had him attack me in anyway and I’ve had several discussions with him....anyway....

Asking people to be banned is just.....strange to me. If we didn’t have flaws we wouldn’t have the most losing football program in NCAA.

Oh well. Just my feeling on the banning. This is a great board.
Ok, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. Just a couple examples, I went to a high school playoff game last fall in which our recruit, Gavin McCabe, played. He continues to say I lied about it and didn’t go to the game , what ? I mean that is just sick, so he knows where I was on a given night, yea right. Don’t you find that problematic ? He also claimed on the board that I created some other handle to post something on the board, I don’t even remember what he claimed I posted. I have been around here for many years, never used any other name, I’m sure Jordan Wells can confirm that. I just don’t understand why a poster does things like this unless you are just trying to create discord or you are seriously ill.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
There's not a great deal of mystery here. It is one poster at the center of every thread that goes off the rails. And this goes way beyond negativity. It is a constant barrage of belittling, condescending comments, mocking posters' writing ability, and promoting crazy conspiracy theories including one that the pro-IU posters are administrative insiders with a political agenda that includes suppressing dissenting views. I know, I can't even believe I'm typing that last portion but you can't make this stuff up and you won't have to look hard to find this bizarre, inflammatory content. He is single-handedly destroying the board, an unfortunate development for the vast majority of responsible posters here.

It's lucky for you that being an asshole is not a banable personality trait.

The poster in question goes above and beyond asshole and crosses the line of delusional/ paranoid. Blaming everyone for their lies and trying to pin blame on them for these personal slights he invents.

Reactions: JohnsyRick
There's not a great deal of mystery here. It is one poster at the center of every thread that goes off the rails. And this goes way beyond negativity. It is a constant barrage of belittling, condescending comments, mocking posters' writing ability, and promoting crazy conspiracy theories including one that the pro-IU posters are administrative insiders with a political agenda that includes suppressing dissenting views. I know, I can't even believe I'm typing that last portion but you can't make this stuff up and you won't have to look hard to find this bizarre, inflammatory content. He is single-handedly destroying the board, an unfortunate development for the vast majority of responsible posters here.

Well nobody's going to destroy anything, I'm going to try to follow this more closely.

I try really hard to take Sundays off because we all need a day off every week to unplug (we don't get Saturday's off,) but I've been on here for a couple hours tonight talking about this because I care about it and care about the community.

So let's work together on it. You guys try ignore for me, for whatever posters you don't like. Let's give it some time and see how it goes.

If it doesn't work I'm happy to revisit.

No one wants a sugar coated board or no dissent, disagreements are great.

There is only one serious problem poster and I have no idea why he is being protected, I reached out to him to see if we could all get along...he gave me the cyber finger.

I will give this one more week and if the threads are still being trashed, I am done.

Reactions: JohnsyRick
No one wants a sugar coated board or no dissent, disagreements are great.

There is only one serious problem poster and I have no idea why he is being protected, I reached out to him to see if we could all get along...he gave me the cyber finger.

I will give this one more week and if the threads are still being trashed, I am done.

Look I’m trying to work with you guys.

I’m not protecting anybody, I have laid out my arguments about why I have this approach and why I believe in it. I’ve also said if everyone tries my suggestion, and it still doesn’t work, then I’m happy to revisit this issue.

I’m not asking for much here. Just give it a try.

So let's work together on it. You guys try ignore for me, for whatever posters you don't like. Let's give it some time and see how it goes.

If it doesn't work I'm happy to revisit.
When the time comes for the banhammer, do it by IP. He's an incorrigible nymshifter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT