ADVERTISEMENT

Goat's POLS Thread for Mature Adults

Hey @Sope Creek :

124221192_10158175104647499_8259869794673286768_n.jpg

No I think you’re right. The race is over. It’s just close enough to keep this nonsense going and perp conflict. Why should we expect anything else for this year. What’s next month? An asteroid a little too close?
It’s over and I think it’s pretty cowardly that the “decision centers” of the networks and news channels aren’t calling it.

It’s over and I think it’s pretty cowardly that the “decision centers” of the networks and news channels aren’t calling it.
For sure. If you have the temerity to call them early then stand up and call them now. The delay is detrimental and could turn dangerous

They cant win. Call too early and get it wrong, folks will claim that they are useless and are fake news. Call late, and they are cowards.

Basically its statistics and margin for errors -- they just raised the bar to the level where its almost impossible to be wrong. like 99.5%

Reactions: TommyCracker
Does this make us look at the EC and it’s validity now? Biden will win the popular vote by over 4.1M. And he damn well could have lost the election. That’s kind of nuts. Should states look at following Maine and Nebraska and portioning votes? Is there a better way to choose the POTUS that more accurately reflects the will of the voters? These popular vote disparities are getting a little absurd.
Not me. I voted for Biden and he’s going to win, but I still think the EC is one of the most genius of our founders ideas. Without it our Presidential candidates (and Presidents) wouldn’t bother to pretend to care about the issues in any small state or the less populated parts of any state.

Reactions: 76-1 and muubell
The same way gerrymandering helps with House delegations. By packing most of Party A's votes into as few districts as possible, you guarantee that Party B gets a minimum number of EC votes - perhaps even a majority - even during years when they lose the statewide vote.

Take, as a silly example, Indiana in 2008. Even though Obama won the statewide vote, McCain won in six districts. He would have beaten Obama 6-5 in EC votes if we delegated them by district.

The same way gerrymandering helps with House delegations. By packing most of Party A's votes into as few districts as possible, you guarantee that Party B gets a minimum number of EC votes - perhaps even a majority - even during years when they lose the statewide vote.

Take, as a silly example, Indiana in 2008. Even though Obama won the statewide vote, McCain won in six districts. He would have beaten Obama 6-5 in EC votes if we delegated them by district.
If that’s what Nebraska and Maine do, yes, but I thought they apportioned them based on the percentage of the vote. If a state wants to do that, I’m OK with it, but I think winner takes all is good too.

Not me. I voted for Biden and he’s going to win, but I still think the EC is one of the most genius of our founders ideas. Without it our Presidential candidates (and Presidents) wouldn’t bother to pretend to care about the issues in any small state or the less populated parts of any state.
Not a bad point, but relying on EC has become distorted as our population has grown. The answer lies in increasing the size of the House, and thus better reflecting population differences. It will take a grand compromise of some sort, but hopefully enough people can recognize we need a bigger House to better represent us. That will also fix the EC imbalance.

Not a bad point, but relying on EC has become distorted as our population has grown. The answer lies in increasing the size of the House, and thus better reflecting population differences. It will take a grand compromise of some sort, but hopefully enough people can recognize we need a bigger House to better represent us. That will also fix the EC imbalance.
I do think the number of Representatives should be increased.

LOL. I have to believe Sope might be feeling a little proud tonight, like I did in 2008 when Indiana went for Obama.
Speaking of absentee ballots, supposedly Monroe County put Obama over the top when they reported their absentee ballots. My daughter voted in MC absentee from Europe. As far as I’m concerned, her vote put him over.

Incidentally, when Obama came to Bloomington during the campaign, my mom, a big donor, was invited to his luncheon. She declined — she was for Hillary.

Arizona was called for Biden tonight. A random audit of votes in Arizona showed no discrepancies.

The recount law in Arizona is really strict (200 or fewer votes gap to trigger a recount, candidates can't request one), so this is completely over at this point.

And that really blocks off the path for legal shenanigans by Trump because now he needs to somehow get the Electoral College votes in several other states where he's down by 10s of thousands of votes.

I don’t watch The View often, but I happened to catch it the day Biden was on soon after John McCain had his diagnosis. He was talking about Beau and Meghan got choked up. He moved his chair over to her and spoke very softly to her about her dad for several minutes. It was one of the most touching things I’d seen on live tv.

McCain was a POW for six years for this country and came home and started 7 wars, because he was a gentleman, and that’s what gentlemen do!

Republicans are really changing. Reagan attacked Libya, Granada, and put troops in Lebanon. Bush 41 went into Kuwait and Panama. Bush 43 went into Iraq and Afghanistan. Now the GOP is heading toward isolationism?

Reactions: hondo314
Well, the GOP got brave enough to invade Lafayette Park. I mean, I know they waited and picked a good moment, but still ....

Reactions: hondo314
Pretty simple summary of what’s happened. Biden and his lefty cronies will bend over and let China have their way and enjoy it.

Just because Trump let Putin have his way with him doesn't mean the next president is doing the same thing with another leader ;)

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
How did Putin have his way with Trump, show your work.

Show your work that Biden has done anything for China that is against our interests.

Bull shit from rightwing media doesn't count. Talking verified info.

Reactions: Bill4411

Show your work that Biden has done anything for China that is against our interests.

I am still waiting on you to provide a real answer. There is nothing actionable that Trump did during that meeting that you can report on because he was not Putin's pet. Off the top of my head he provided weapons to Ukraine that Obama/Biden blocked, he increased sanctions, he approved bombing of Russian mercenaries in Syria. I am not the one making claims I have to back up. I have not said anything about Biden and China. You are the one making claims, so back them up.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

As far as Biden acting against our interests vis a vis China:

1. Anything he has done up to this point is matched by politicians on both sides of the aisle going back at least to Bush 1 and possibly all the way back to Nixon.

2. He has been in office 6 months.

1. Anything he has done up to this point is matched by politicians on both sides of the aisle going back at least to Bush 1 and possibly all the way back to Nixon.

actually, Joe has been in national office, the senate even, since Nixon.

and by "our Interests", do you mean the citizenry's interests, or Wall St's interests.

China now owns us, and does so more with each passing day.

if they openly admitted to developing Covid as a biological weapon and unleashing it on the world, our only response would be "thank you, may i have another", because they own us that much, and we are now so totally dependent on them.

exaggerating? not in the least.

we are literally that dependent on them, and they own us that much.

that said, hedge funds are buying up residential real estate right and left thanks to the Fed and US tax policy. (the Fed is printing money out of thin air by the trillions as fast as it can, to drive up all asset prices, with zero consideration for tomorrow.).

Chinese banks will eventually buy much of that US real estate off the fed and the hedge funds as well.

no sacrifice is too great for Wall St in exchange for cheap labor.

we have a huge China problem, and Wall St owing DC problem.

and if China owns Wall St, then it owns DC as well.

China understands "capitalism" better than anyone.

and the US's current form of plutocracy/oligarchy.

both branches of The Wall St Party need to get their heads out of their asses fast.

of course the capitalism algorithm will never allow that, nor will China.

thus we are stuck with,

"THANK YOU, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER", no matter what China does.

being totally owned by and totally dependent upon, has that minor downside.

but hey, markets are up, at least for today and only artificially, but that's all that matters.

actually, Joe has been in national office, the senate even, since Nixon.

and by "our Interests", do you mean the citizenry's interests, or Wall St's interests.

China now owns us, and does so more with each passing day.

if they openly admitted to developing Covid as a biological weapon and unleashing it on the world, our only response would be "thank you, may i have another", because they own us that much, and we are now so totally dependent on them.

exaggerating? not in the least.

we are literally that dependent on them, and they own us that much.

that said, hedge funds are buying up residential real estate right and left thanks to the Fed and US tax policy. (the Fed is printing money out of thin air by the trillions as fast as it can, to drive up all asset prices, with zero consideration for tomorrow.).

Chinese banks will eventually buy much of that US real estate off the fed and the hedge funds as well.

no sacrifice is too great for Wall St in exchange for cheap labor.

we have a huge China problem, and Wall St owing DC problem.

and if China owns Wall St, then it owns DC as well.

China understands "capitalism" better than anyone.

and the US's current form of plutocracy/oligarchy.

both branches of The Wall St Party need to get their heads out of their asses fast.

of course the capitalism algorithm will never allow that, nor will China.

thus we are stuck with,

"THANK YOU, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER", no matter what China does.

being totally owned by and totally dependent upon, has that minor downside.

but hey, markets are up, at least for today and only artificially, but that's all that matters.
I agree with quite a bit of that. With regards to Biden, yes, I know he has been in politics forever. However, for most of that time he was only a single voting member in Congress and for 8 years he was VP...so not the decision guy. So things he voted on or did w.r.t. China were mainly things shared with a bunch of other people. Nixon "opened" our relationship with China and our shortsighted leadership has been building them ever since. That would be both political and business leadership.

My English is not very good. I've read your post 3 times but I still don't understand what you saying. Are you saying that Biden is China's stooge as Trump was Putin's?

Well, I take back what I said, partially that is. As for #2, you are absolutely right! He has been in office for 6 months! Congratulations!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT