ADVERTISEMENT

Get Hatton and Hemenway as back ups and call

Tru2Irish

Senior
Aug 2, 2013
it a day. I like Hatton as he can take big defender outside away from basket to create a hole for guards to drive. Like him better than Ukrainian guy. He and Hemenway are Indiana kids too. They will understand their roles.

it a day. I like Hatton as he can take big defender outside away from basket to create a hole for guards to drive. Like him better than Ukrainian guy. He and Hemenway are Indiana kids too. They will understand their roles.
Hatton yes. Hemenway, nah.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Hatton yes. Hemenway, nah.
I don't think Hatton is what you're looking for out of ~10mpg big. Prefer somebody who can rebound and protect the rim. In the event Ballo does sustain some kind of significant injury that causes him to miss time, we have enough scoring/lineup combination to absolve that blow. Offensive and defensive interior presence? We're in trouble. I don't think Hatton is that guy.

Reactions: brianiu and nichlee
I don't think Hatton is what you're looking for out of ~10mpg big. Prefer somebody who can rebound and protect the rim. In the event Ballo does sustain some kind of significant injury that causes him to miss time, we have enough scoring/lineup combination to absolve that blow. Offensive and defensive interior presence? We're in trouble. I don't think Hatton is that guy.
I actually hope Woody has the stones to go with a "death squad" type 5 perimeter player lineup, in said situations when the bigs can't be on the floor. No clue how that would work in college, or with Woody coaching them, but it'd be fun to watch!

He seems to have been a decent rebounder. If he's solid positionally...no clue if he is or isnt...but if he is, and can be a decent rebounder... I'll take his offensive skills with that, for the limited minutes he'll see.

Maybe there will be an impactful rim protecting bench guy that opens up yet, but I'd take some rebounding length in Hatton. And hold out for a rim protector with the final spot.

Maybe there will be an impactful rim protecting bench guy that opens up yet, but I'd take some rebounding length in Hatton. And hold out for a rim protector with the final spot.
There's going to be limited minutes for a single portal big, two is just impossible in my opinion. Reneau is going to play a lot of minutes as a 5, staggering minutes with Ballo. They aren't both going to be on floor simultaneously for 25 mpg.

Reactions: kkott
There's going to be limited minutes for a single portal big, two is just impossible in my opinion. Reneau is going to play a lot of minutes as a 5, staggering minutes with Ballo. They aren't both going to be on floor simultaneously for 25 mpg.
For sure. This guy could play alongside Ballo...and as the "5" in emergency situations.

Ideally, a very effective rim protecting big is what we'd have for that 3rd big. But even then, how much do you play a guy like that alongside Ballo?

Pratically, if we were to get Hatton...

Reneau needs to come out first...Hatton can play effectively alongside Ballo, I would think.

Ballo needs to come out first...slide Reneau to the 5, Mack to the 4, and sub in Tucker or Goode.

When/if BOTH of them need to be out...I'd dabble with 5 perimeter players, but Hatton could be a serviceable 5 for a few minutes.

To me, recruiting Hatton and a rim protecting big makes as much sense as recruiting Hemenway, when we have Goode, Leal, and a slew of other solid guards.

A big who's solid at the FT line would be a benefit also, since HackABallo has already been utilized.

Both can shoot I'm good with the depth. Only concern is there is alot of seniors having to start over again maybe eight spots next year.
You lose:

Ballo
Galloway
Leal

All indications point to Goode getting a 5th year as he only played in 10 games as a sophomore due to injury. Means you're looking at the potential to bring back a core of:

Reneau
Mgbako
Carlyle
Rice
Goode
Tucker
Cupps
*Newton"

That would be a dream scenario although I suppose there's the possibility that Mgbako declares. Still that's more than a good enough core to build around adding plug and play pieces. Would likely only need to add 1-2 starters, 1 being a 5 which seems to be Woodson's bread and butter. There's no starting over next year with our portal haul this offseason.

Keep in mind that having a defensive oriented and rebounding big (rim protector) can do wonders for the offense.

We need more production from the 3 and those attempts off of fast breaks or offensive rebounds are typically good things.

For sure. This guy could play alongside Ballo...and as the "5" in emergency situations.

Ideally, a very effective rim protecting big is what we'd have for that 3rd big. But even then, how much do you play a guy like that alongside Ballo?

Pratically, if we were to get Hatton...

Reneau needs to come out first...Hatton can play effectively alongside Ballo, I would think.

Ballo needs to come out first...slide Reneau to the 5, Mack to the 4, and sub in Tucker or Goode.

When/if BOTH of them need to be out...I'd dabble with 5 perimeter players, but Hatton could be a serviceable 5 for a few minutes.

To me, recruiting Hatton and a rim protecting big makes as much sense as recruiting Hemenway, when we have Goode, Leal, and a slew of other solid guards.
That last sentence. Imagine just waking up from a 3 month coma and reading that. ;)

Not sure what you're getting at. I know its crazy to be in as solid a spot as we are, guards wise. But your winking emoji...hmmm...??
Just saying it’s an amazing thing to say/think/believe we are loaded with good guards after what we went thru this year. The emoji simply indicates I actually didn’t wake up from a coma.

If they continue to develop good front line guy,they will get the better guys in the portal. Ware and Ballo thus far. My concern is replacing both Reneau and Mgbako on top of Ballo.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
I don’t like Reneau playing the 5. He’ll pick up 3 fouls trying to guard anybody bigger than him in about 5 minutes of play.

I respect your view point, but my counter to that would be. The majority of his mind boggling fouls were on the perimeter. His best minutes on the floor were 4 out sets with him on that right block. You can't expect both he and Mgbako to become elite close out perimeter defenders. I'm sure Reneau will start at the 4. But your best 5 is rarely you 5 best players. Imagine looking out on the floor at Ballo, Mgbako, Tucker, Carlyle, Rice, with Reneau, Goode and Galloway at the scorers bench ready to close each half. All 8 of these dudes are gonna play starter minutes. You have to defend the perimeter, play with pace and have no drop off going to the bench. Need to be versatile too. I think we have all the pieces.

Who was that stellar 3 point shooting center from St. Mary or Loyola Marymount who sister played volleyball? He made like five 3's all year and 4 of them were in the preseason portion of the schedule.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
You lose:

Ballo
Galloway
Leal

All indications point to Goode getting a 5th year as he only played in 10 games as a sophomore due to injury. Means you're looking at the potential to bring back a core of:

Reneau
Mgbako
Carlyle
Rice
Goode
Tucker
Cupps
*Newton"

That would be a dream scenario although I suppose there's the possibility that Mgbako declares. Still that's more than a good enough core to build around adding plug and play pieces. Would likely only need to add 1-2 starters, 1 being a 5 which seems to be Woodson's bread and butter. There's no starting over next year with our portal haul this offseason.
I highly doubt Mbako will be back for a Junior season,and same with Reneau as a senior. There are also people out there openly talking about Rice maybe being 1st team all big10 and making a major jump on NBA draft boards. Roster turnover is going to have a significant impact every year unless transfer rules are changed.

Did the well of NIL dry up after Luke G? Site owner claimed kids joined last week. And now a different big- I’ll wait until anything actually occurs

I'd like to see IU reach out to Keba Keita from Utah. 6'8" 230 and a defensive presence from downlow. Like Ballo, also from Mali.

I respect your view point, but my counter to that would be. The majority of his mind boggling fouls were on the perimeter. His best minutes on the floor were 4 out sets with him on that right block. You can't expect both he and Mgbako to become elite close out perimeter defenders. I'm sure Reneau will start at the 4. But your best 5 is rarely you 5 best players. Imagine looking out on the floor at Ballo, Mgbako, Tucker, Carlyle, Rice, with Reneau, Goode and Galloway at the scorers bench ready to close each half. All 8 of these dudes are gonna play starter minutes. You have to defend the perimeter, play with pace and have no drop off going to the bench. Need to be versatile too. I think we have all the pieces.
Tucker? Cracks me up how everyone daydreams about new guys. Maybe you've watched him extensively, but I'm guessing you have no idea how he's going to fare against college defenders, let alone that he'll be playing "starter's minutes". His coach has shown a determined preference to playing 2 bigs and he's got Mbako, Carlyle, Rice and Galloway and even a proven commodity in Goode with a skill the team lacks overall, all likely ahead of him. Unlikely he's going to see starters minutes, but I hope he does because I think he'd have to be showing something special to do so.

There are still a lot of options as a back-up 5. This may drag out a month or two. It appears Woody is planning on playing Reneau significant minutes at the 5.
Hatton had some solid games vs decent competition (KState, UE, Utah). As long as he understand who he is as a basketball player and own that role, he could be a positive addition. Still would like to wait our another few weeks like you think.

Hatton had some solid games vs decent competition (KState, UE, Utah). As long as he understand who he is as a basketball player and own that role, he could be a positive addition. Still would like to wait our another few weeks like you think.
Why wait, the portal window is closed, no one else is entering--waiting only limits the options

I highly doubt Mbako will be back for a Junior season,and same with Reneau as a senior. There are also people out there openly talking about Rice maybe being 1st team all big10 and making a major jump on NBA draft boards. Roster turnover is going to have a significant impact every year unless transfer rules are changed.
Where's Reneau going?

• Wow
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT