ADVERTISEMENT

1 Standard Deviation Out

Fred C. Dobbs

Freshman
Aug 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Reading this forum has become an exercise in watching lemmings conform to the norm. There is very little original or analytical thinking. There certainly is abundant outrage. Try this experiment. Scan the titles of the topics on the first forum web page. Where is the traditional knowledge and sophistication of the Indiana fan base?

Below are takes on postings that recur through multiple topics.

Gab Cupps: Many posters offer that at best Gabe is rotational reserve as a junior or senior. Give me a break! Gabe is a freshman 1. He has been charged with protecting the ball and getting the team into its set. Is it that hard to project his game into a role similar to that of Michael Lewis? That said, I’m astounded that a coaching staff including Woodson, Cheaney and Hulls has not given attention to Gabe’s sideways jump shot. A high-speed computer would be required to calculate a targeting solution for that shot.

Trey Galloway: Trey Galloway would have a different role on a good team. He would be a 6th man rotating into the 1, 2 or 3, especially if a mismatch were offered by the defensive match-up. Because of roster construction Galloway is the main man at the 1 or 2, guards the best peripheral player on the other team and plays killer minutes. We should celebrate Galloway, not throw shade at him.

Kal’el Ware: About half-way through the State Pen match at Happy Valley I thought that IU had a 50% chance of winning the game. My optimism was founded on how Ware’s presence altered the State Pen offense. Ace Baldwin could not drive the lane nor back down his defender while Ware was in the game. Then Ware commits two reach-in fouls in situations that were unlikely to score points. Indiana junior high players know that reaching-in is a high-risk maneuver. It’s hard to win when your best player makes low IQ plays.

Malik Reneau: Before the season I questioned whether Reneau could play the 4 and whether he could play well with Ware. Reneau exceeded my expectations on both counts. Then came the reach-in around the logo in the Wisconsin game. It’s hard to win when your second-best player fouls out making a low IQ play.

Xavier Johnson: Tom Izzo once said that playing without a point guard was like a root canal. Well, followers of IU basketball are experiencing a root canal. Their pain spills on to the forum web pages. I envy teams that have an Ace Baldwin that can create a basket out of a dribble drive.

Mike Woodson: Before the season many on this board speculated that this Indiana team was a 0.500 team in the B1G. You know who you are. I could do some research and out you. Well Indiana is slightly worse than a 0.500 team in the B1G and everyone on this board is shocked. Woodson certainly could do a better job of managing the program, but he is not Lou Watson reincarnate.

2023-2024 Team: In Calbert Cheaney’s freshman year RMK played a team of freshmen and sophomores that played about 0.500 basketball. At the time I was amazed at the calm demeanor with which RMK coached the team. Apparently, he realized that he had a young team that needed to mature into a great team. Right now IU starts 2 freshmen, 2 sophomores and a senior. The W-L record reflects the composition of the team.

Reading this forum has become an exercise in watching lemmings conform to the norm. There is very little original or analytical thinking. There certainly is abundant outrage. Try this experiment. Scan the titles of the topics on the first forum web page. Where is the traditional knowledge and sophistication of the Indiana fan base?

Gab Cupps: Many posters offer that at best Gabe is rotational reserve as a junior or senior. Give me a break! Gabe is a freshman 1. He has been charged with protecting the ball and getting the team into its set. Is it that hard to project his game into a role similar to that of Michael Lewis? That said, I’m astounded that a coaching staff including Woodson, Cheaney and Hulls has not given attention to Gabe’s sideways jump shot. A high-speed computer would be required to calculate a targeting solution for that shot.

Trey Galloway: Trey Galloway would have a different role on a good team. He would be a 6th man rotating into the 1, 2 or 3, especially if a mismatch were offered by the defensive match-up. Because of roster construction Galloway is the main man at the 1 or 2, guards the best peripheral player on the other team and plays killer minutes. We should celebrate Galloway, not throw shade at him.

Kal’el Ware: About half-way through the State Pen match at Happy Valley I thought that IU had a 50% chance of winning the game. My optimism was founded on how Ware’s presence altered the State Pen offense. Ace Baldwin could not drive the lane nor back down his defender while Ware was in the game. Then Ware commits two reach-in fouls in situations that were unlikely to score points. Indiana junior high players know that reaching-in is a high-risk maneuver. It’s hard to win when your best player makes low IQ plays.

Malik Reneau: Before the season I questioned whether Reneau could play the 4 and whether he could play well with Ware. Reneau exceeded my expectations on both counts. Then came the reach-in around the logo in the Wisconsin game. It’s hard to win when your second-best player fouls out making a low IQ play.

Xavier Johnson: Tom Izzo once said that playing without a point guard was like a root canal. Well, followers of IU basketball are experiencing a root canal. Their pain spills on to the forum web pages. I envy teams that have an Ace Baldwin that can create a basket out of a dribble drive.

Mike Woodson: Before the season many on this board speculated that this Indiana team was a 0.500 team in the B1G. You know who you are. I could do some research and out you. Well Indiana is slightly worse than a 0.500 team in the B1G and everyone on this board is shocked. Woodson certainly could do a better job of managing the program, but he is not Lou Watson reincarnate.

2023-2024 Team: In Calbert Cheaney’s freshman year RMK played a team of freshmen and sophomores that played about 0.500 basketball. At the time I was amazed at the calm demeanor with which RMK coached the team. Apparently, he realized that he had a young team that needed to mature into a great team. Right now IU starts 2 freshmen, 2 sophomores and a senior. The W-L record reflects the composition of the team.
Cheaney freshman year they were 18-11 and made the NCAA and also returned most of the roster the next year. Also played 7th best schedule in the country

Type all you want we are ranked #105. End of argument.

comparing early 90s basketball to how teams are developed today is nonsense, Indiana is one of the more experienced teams in the big 10. rest of your diatribe is basically what everyone else says.

I agree with much of that but Woodson could have coached this team better. Not that we had that high of a ceiling to begin with. Too young, missing pieces, injuries ... but the way we lose some games. Too many blowouts ..

The concept of having two units killed this team. In the NBA the 2nd unit gives you a different look. In the pros it's just wins and losses.. in NCAA it how you win or lose. It didn't work ... it didn't work for Calipari either when he had two units.. at least he had talent in his 2nd.

The Miya stats are/were glaring and verified the eye test. When you have three man combos and five man lineups that are in the top 5% nationally.. but as a team drop to the 38% .. either you have a horrible bench and or are using horrible lineups or both. Maybe easing off the gas on defense and keeping the core in longer.. would have made a difference. We didn't really gain much from our defensive pressure anyways .. breakdowns and fouls...

Most teams cut their rotations by Jan. Only the play everyone participation trophy coaches like Pearl haven't. Crean and Miller weren't much better in their bench management either ...

He's adjusted but too late and not enough...

Playing too deep into the bench for too long not only made us lose games or barely win against bad comp. it f*cked up the efficiency metrics the NCAA uses to gauge tourney bids..

fwiw - I don't think it would have made much difference the team is flawed but it should have been better than it is ..

Last edited:

You lost me when you started comparing Cheaney and RMK to this situation. Knight had won 3 titles in 13 years at this point and Cheaney was not a highly touted player.

I can’t even fathom how we get a new blowhard pop up around here every couple of days hellbent on changing everybody’s minds. Like most of us haven’t watched (and maybe re-watched) every possession of every game. Eyes don’t lie regarding this season.

And lastly, anyone who compares anything about 2024 ncaa basketball with anything that happened 20-40 years ago is an idiot and should be banned. Repeat after me: POR-TAL, POR-TAL, POR-TAL! Young teams don’t age and get better by their junior and senior years these days. Deal with it.

I picked them to be 0.500. Shocked that they lost to PSU at home plus twice to Nebraska? Yes, I am.

2 sophomore starters? Nope. One of those guys is a senior NBA prospect named Ware. He isn't a sophomore if this is his only year. Woodson can't have it both ways. He can't say "we are a young team", and then lose guys to early draft.

The source of all the angst is the fact that almost no one expects all these guys back next year. And with only one signee, there simply isn't much to look forward to in the Woodson era.

So Woodson needs to go 29-5 and make it to the sweet sixteen next season and win a big ten championship.

Gabe Cupps last two games:

PSU: 27 minutes, ZERO assists
UW: 19 minutes, ZERO assists

I wouldn't project him to be like Michael Lewis (2nd all-time in assists at IU, only behind Yogi).

When this team takes a perimeter shot...I don't think in terms of whether they make the shot; I wonder if we can get the rebound. When this team turns the ball over...I don't think about whether or not they respond by getting back on defense...I wonder who is going to commit the foul. The RMK teams you refer to had a few things lacking right now: discipline and fundamentals for starters. The Ws followed because with RMK's teams, there was a foundation to build on.

Last edited:

IU w/Calbert made the NCAA tournament.

Regardless, this isn't a one-off year. IU has not met preseason expectations in ALL THREE of Woodson's seasons. Remember, IU was predicted to win the B1G last year and did not. Then they didn't even make it out of the first weekend by getting their blocks knocked off to Miami. His first season he needed a miracle B1G run just to end up in the play-in game, but lost early. Both of those seasons he had possibly the best player in the country on this team and last year he had a stacked roster. CMW's year to shine was last year and he didn't. This year was his last chance at redemption and again, he doubled down on awful basketball.

Reactions: FormerRevMatt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT