ADVERTISEMENT

DeSantis stock goes up

You’re off to a flaming start here BigDoggy. Way to go.
Hey, Purdue boy, you’re still on double secret probation. Remember, you’re still carrying everybody’s bags to and from the bus.

Kenya. C’mon man, you’re in Florida. Get with the “proper new history”!
So for some reason DeSantis cancelled the proposed flight to Delaware this week. I'm sure the lawsuits and the fact that he had the local sheriff investigating had no role in that decision...

Meanwhile investigative reporters are digging into the ties between DeSantis, Goetz and Goetz's law school buddy with connections to Vertol. The taxpayers didn't just pay Vertol over 1.5 Million to transport migrants from Texas to MA, but Vertol is a GOP campaign contributor and has ties to several officials in DeSantis's Administration. Lots of palms getting greased, with taxpayer's money over this mystery plane ride...

Reactions: Morrison
Today, DeSantis is crowing that he was successful because, he says, no one was talking about immigration last week and now after he flew immigrants to Martha's Vineyard the whole country is now talking about immigration.

Think about that -- DeSantis is so noninfluential that the only way he could get the country talking about immigration was to pull a stunt.

What an impressive candidate.

He's an awful person. Full stop.

Reactions: cosmickid
When he said that nobody had any opposition to slavery before the revolution, I guess that includes those happy enslaved people before 1776, if he was "right".

Which... he wasn't.
Funny the way exclusion is still commonplace in some quarters...

"You can't teach history that's being used to pursue an ideological agenda" says the clown that wants teachers to promote Scalia/Originalism, the breakdown of the wall between church and state, and the concept of benevolent slavery practiced by people who apparently had no other option than to participate as owners in a system they "despised"...

But inclusion, equality, treating people decently... that is an "ideological agenda" ? :eek:

Myths should not be taught as history.

History should be taught as history, just like it happened, no matter what it makes anyone look like.
The Biden administration offered grants for the teaching of Ibram Kendi and the 1619 project. The 1619 project is part of Californias state curriculum.

If the current curriculum is myth based, I’d rather stick with that one than go to the one Biden is advocating.

"You can't teach history that's being used to pursue an ideological agenda" says the clown that wants teachers to promote Scalia/Originalism, the breakdown of the wall between church and state, and the concept of benevolent slavery practiced by people who apparently had no other option than to participate as owners in a system they "despised"...

But inclusion, equality, treating people decently... that is an "ideological agenda" ? :eek:
I would refer you to the "It isn't in schools" thread to see the type of stuff DeSantis wants out of schools as opposed to what you are trying to sell.

The Biden administration offered grants for the teaching of Ibram Kendi and the 1619 project. The 1619 project is part of Californias state curriculum.

If the current curriculum is myth based, I’d rather stick with that one than go to the one Biden is advocating.

No complaints here with that

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978

Nothing wrong with that. It's obviously supplemental, not a replacement. I think kids can handle a little dirt.

Nothing wrong with that. It's obviously supplemental, not a replacement. I think kids can handle a little dirt.
So teach that the American Revolution was fought because Americans wanted to keep slavery and thought the English were going to abolish it?

By the way, Nicole Hannah Jones admitted that the 1619 Project was not history. So great. Let's start teaching politically motivated history--this should end well.

But I guess at least we've evolved in a good way: at least people are now admitting these things are being taught in schools.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where does it read that "the American Revolution was fought because Americans wanted to keep slavery and thought the English were going to abolish it?"

Maybe I missed it.
You did:

On August 19 of last year I listened in stunned silence as Nikole Hannah-Jones, a reporter for the New York Times, repeated an idea that I had vigorously argued against with her fact-checker: that the patriots fought the American Revolution in large part to preserve slavery in North America.
Hannah-Jones and I were on Georgia Public Radio to discuss the path-breaking New York Times 1619 Project, a major feature about the impact of slavery on American history, which she had spearheaded. The Times had just published the special 1619 edition of its magazine, which took its name from the year 20 Africans arrived in the colony of Virginia—a group believed to be the first enslaved Africans to arrive in British North America.

Weeks before, I had received an email from a New York Times research editor. Because I’m an historian of African American life and slavery, in New York, specifically, and the pre-Civil War era more generally, she wanted me to verify some statements for the project. At one point, she sent me this assertion: “One critical reason that the colonists declared their independence from Britain was because they wanted to protect the institution of slavery in the colonies, which had produced tremendous wealth. At the time there were growing calls to abolish slavery throughout the British Empire, which would have badly damaged the economies of colonies in both North and South.”

I vigorously disputed the claim. Although slavery was certainly an issue in the American Revolution, the protection of slavery was not one of the main reasons the 13 Colonies went to war.

The editor followed up with several questions probing the nature of slavery in the Colonial era, such as whether enslaved people were allowed to read, could legally marry, could congregate in groups of more than four, and could own, will or inherit property—the answers to which vary widely depending on the era and the colony. I explained these histories as best I could—with references to specific examples—but never heard back from her about how the information would be used.

Despite my advice, the Times published the incorrect statement about the American Revolution anyway, in Hannah-Jones’ introductory essay. In addition, the paper’s characterizations of slavery in early America reflected laws and practices more common in the antebellum era than in Colonial times, and did not accurately illustrate the varied experiences of the first generation of enslaved people that arrived in Virginia in 1619.

You did:

On August 19 of last year I listened in stunned silence as Nikole Hannah-Jones, a reporter for the New York Times, repeated an idea that I had vigorously argued against with her fact-checker: that the patriots fought the American Revolution in large part to preserve slavery in North America.
Hannah-Jones and I were on Georgia Public Radio to discuss the path-breaking New York Times 1619 Project, a major feature about the impact of slavery on American history, which she had spearheaded. The Times had just published the special 1619 edition of its magazine, which took its name from the year 20 Africans arrived in the colony of Virginia—a group believed to be the first enslaved Africans to arrive in British North America.

Weeks before, I had received an email from a New York Times research editor. Because I’m an historian of African American life and slavery, in New York, specifically, and the pre-Civil War era more generally, she wanted me to verify some statements for the project. At one point, she sent me this assertion: “One critical reason that the colonists declared their independence from Britain was because they wanted to protect the institution of slavery in the colonies, which had produced tremendous wealth. At the time there were growing calls to abolish slavery throughout the British Empire, which would have badly damaged the economies of colonies in both North and South.”

I vigorously disputed the claim. Although slavery was certainly an issue in the American Revolution, the protection of slavery was not one of the main reasons the 13 Colonies went to war.

The editor followed up with several questions probing the nature of slavery in the Colonial era, such as whether enslaved people were allowed to read, could legally marry, could congregate in groups of more than four, and could own, will or inherit property—the answers to which vary widely depending on the era and the colony. I explained these histories as best I could—with references to specific examples—but never heard back from her about how the information would be used.

Despite my advice, the Times published the incorrect statement about the American Revolution anyway, in Hannah-Jones’ introductory essay. In addition, the paper’s characterizations of slavery in early America reflected laws and practices more common in the antebellum era than in Colonial times, and did not accurately illustrate the varied experiences of the first generation of enslaved people that arrived in Virginia in 1619.

Well, that's a different essay than the one I was talking about, but this thread is 19 pages long, so I'll eat that. But your characterization is still wrong. "One critical reason" is very different than "because."

Yes, protecting slavery was one of the reasons some of the Americans fought the revolution. The discussions at the Continental Congress prove this. That's not the same as saying we declared independence because we wanted to protect slavery.

Well, that's a different essay than the one I was talking about, but this thread is 19 pages long, so I'll eat that. But your characterization is still wrong. "One critical reason" is very different than "because."

Yes, protecting slavery was one of the reasons some of the Americans fought the revolution. The discussions at the Continental Congress prove this. That's not the same as saying we declared independence because we wanted to protect slavery.
My memory of the language is pretty close, Goat. Much closer than what you stated.

Look, the 1619 Project, in particular, was a politically motivated piece, put together to support arguments for reparations. NHJ admits this.

So using her pieces smacks too much of 1984 to me. It is not history. It is an editorial. It should not be taught as history.

Want to teach the complicated nature of slavery, racism, etc. in US History? Awesome (by the way, it's required in Florida). Want to teach politically motivated editorials by dishonest people? No thanks.

And by creating federal incentives to teach it, what do you think is going to happen if DeSantis wins? Why do Democrats never see the big picture?

As for the history of the American Revolution, I'll go with this guy (who is closer to Desantis than NHJ):

"The idea that the Revolution occurred as a means of protecting slavery—I just don’t think there is much evidence for it, and in fact the contrary is more true to what happened. The Revolution unleashed antislavery sentiments that led to the first abolition movements in the history of the world."

I'm not going to defend the guy, but I wonder if there should be a statute of limitations on cringeworthy behavior from forty years ago.
I don’t think the photo is from when the guy was 22. But it’s hard to say.

My penance for boorish behavior in the past is never running for office - ie so no one cares.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
This is the RINO wing of the party trying to blow up the entire MAGA movement and return us to the Bush/Cheney party. Make no mistake they hate Trump and Desantis almost equally. They know Ron can't win even if he got the nomination (unlikely). If he takes the bait he's a whole lot dumber than any us thought and should've never been President anyway.

This is the RINO wing of the party trying to blow up the entire MAGA movement and return us to the Bush/Cheney party. Make no mistake they hate Trump and Desantis almost equally. They know Ron can't win even if he got the nomination (unlikely). If he takes the bait he's a whole lot dumber than any us thought and should've never been President anyway.

When did Trump ever win the popular vote?

Reactions: mcmurtry66

lol, where do you find these clowns? Nobody is texting Dick Baris

Trying to make a point to impact independent voters? Van Jones is hardly the act to trot out there.

CWCID You got this one right.

McConnell, McCarthy, and Ryan are the ones picking the fight. Trump is just finishing it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT