ADVERTISEMENT

Derby Day

150th Derby. Biggie today. One of my favorite days too. Have not hit the derby in years it's so tough with 20 horses, but I always make a play.

Reactions: snarlcakes
I was at the 100th. Streak The Queen!

Drunken stupor in the infield. I barely saw any horses.
Yeah I was there in a drunken stupor in the infield years ago. Pissing down rain. I won and was in line with the tickets and the water was over my knees. My buddy got a big run and tackled me. I ended up completely under that water. So nasty. Lost the tickets etc. later people started attacking each other in the mud. We ended up in a big fistfight. I’ll never forget my one buddy was on the Atkins diet and he brought atkins bread. He then proceeded to drink 30 bud heavies. Was a D1 swimmer and the coach told him he had to choose alcohol or swimming. He picked alcohol. We paid some guy at one of the nearby houses to use his hose in the yard as we were all head to toe covered in mud

I vowed to go back one day and do it up fancy. Never did

My buddy's handicap...

It’s Derby Day and the fastest horse in the world, Fierceness, is the favorite despite starting from the 16th position. The track is expected to be muddy with a 30% chance of rain all afternoon.

I like Fierceness at 5/2 to win. Fierceness won the FL Derby in dry conditions by 13.5 lengths, which is unheard of. The track conditions and starting position are a big challenge since Fierceness has never won a race coming from behind. So, tough call this year, but the speed is undeniable (see Speed Scores below). Trainer Todd Pletcher says Fierceness is the fastest horse he’s ever trained and he’s won the Derby twice.

The exacta with Fierceness and Resilience is good odds.

Flyer bet is Domestic Product at 30-1. Irad Ortiz, the best jockey in the world, is riding Domestic Product. If the race turns slow in heavier mud, the jockey skill is what we would be looking at here, since the speed score is low for DP.

Top Speed Scores Ranked:
Fierceness 112
Resilience 104
Society Man 102
Sierra Leone 101
Mystik Dan 101
Catching Freedom 100
Just a Touch 100
Honor Marie 99
Stronghold 99
Dornoch 98
Just Steel 97
Track Phantom 97
Endlessly 93
Domestic Product 91
Catalytic 90
West Saratoga 89
Grand Mo 88

My buddy's handicap...

It’s Derby Day and the fastest horse in the world, Fierceness, is the favorite despite starting from the 16th position. The track is expected to be muddy with a 30% chance of rain all afternoon.

I like Fierceness at 5/2 to win. Fierceness won the FL Derby in dry conditions by 13.5 lengths, which is unheard of. The track conditions and starting position are a big challenge since Fierceness has never won a race coming from behind. So, tough call this year, but the speed is undeniable (see Speed Scores below). Trainer Todd Pletcher says Fierceness is the fastest horse he’s ever trained and he’s won the Derby twice.

The exacta with Fierceness and Resilience is good odds.

Flyer bet is Domestic Product at 30-1. Irad Ortiz, the best jockey in the world, is riding Domestic Product. If the race turns slow in heavier mud, the jockey skill is what we would be looking at here, since the speed score is low for DP.

Top Speed Scores Ranked:
Fierceness 112
Resilience 104
Society Man 102
Sierra Leone 101
Mystik Dan 101
Catching Freedom 100
Just a Touch 100
Honor Marie 99
Stronghold 99
Dornoch 98
Just Steel 97
Track Phantom 97
Endlessly 93
Domestic Product 91
Catalytic 90
West Saratoga 89
Grand Mo 88
OK. Got an Exacta box bet on the three horses you posted about (F, R and DP).

OK. Got an Exacta box bet on the three horses you posted about (F, R and DP).
Wash & Lee guy that used to run capital markets for a client of mine in Austin. Made millions together.

He lives in Aventura now and hangs at Gulfstream Park all the time, when not at the Country Club, or Tootsies.

I have no idea...just what he texted me this AM.

I was at the 100th. Streak The Queen!

Drunken stupor in the infield. I barely saw any horses.
So my buddy who is a caterer worked at the 144th Derby. We talked about it today, he said it was a rain out, and wettest derby ever, and hardly anybody was in the infield except some college kids. Now keep in mind he grew up in Speedway and went to many 80's Indys which we'll get to in a minute.

Anyways the hit of the derby that year was college kids racing sprints on top of the porta-potties about 30-40 yards long. I'm trying to imagine this in my mind. He said they were falling off and crashing all over. That would have been classic.

We started talking about the Indy's back in the day with the pickup truck slingshots. Holy crap we were lmao about all the sh!t that happened during the 80's Indy's before that f*cking golf course took over half the infield. I said you ever try and explain that to someone. He said you can't, and I agreed. You cannot explain the 500 and especially a trip down Georgetown the night before the race back then it was complete mayhem. Everywhere you turned there was a jaw dropping moment.

So my buddy who is a caterer worked at the 144th Derby. We talked about it today, he said it was a rain out, and wettest derby ever, and hardly anybody was in the infield except some college kids. Now keep in mind he grew up in Speedway and went to many 80's Indys which we'll get to in a minute.

Anyways the hit of the derby that year was college kids racing sprints on top of the porta-potties about 30-40 yards long. I'm trying to imagine this in my mind. He said they were falling off and crashing all over. That would have been classic.
We went to that one (2018). Was gonna do the infield with our daughter, but thought otherwise w the rain.

Buddy from Dallas was in that Vineyard Vines tent in Turn 1 and 2, had some extra bands, so we went there. Free food and drink all day. Not bad.

Reactions: DDE-6-20-23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT