ADVERTISEMENT

Chance Nolan

I looked at some of Nolan's highlights and he is fast. He's not a run first guy, but he certainly can scramble and take off on a read options four or five times a game to keep a team honest.
i took a look at Nolan's starts at OSU v. those of Bazelak at Mo, and Nolan certainly appears to be the better prospect.

Two things concerned me about CB going in---ints and lack of mobility.

Ints have also been an issue with NC, but he is more mobile and his passing #s are somewhat better.

Specifically, the #s were as follows for their last two years at MO & OSU, respectively:

CB: 464/701 for 66.1%; 7.01 YPA; 23 TDs/17 Ints; ERs of 132.1 & 130.2; -1 rush yards, -1.2 YPA
CN: 270/429 for 62.9%; 8.43 YPA; 26 TDs/18 Ints; ERs of 148.3 & 136.9; 508 rush yds, 4.4 YPC

Bottom line: CB's completion % was somewhat better, but he threw for 1.42 fewer yards per passing attempt; CN's TD/Int ratio was slightly better despite him throwing longer passes; and CN averaged 5.2 YPC more per rush attempt.

I sure hope we get him.

i took a look at Nolan's starts at OSU v. those of Bazelak at Mo, and Nolan certainly appears to be the better prospect.

Ints have also been an issue with NC, but he is more mobile and his passing #s are somewhat better.

Specifically, the #s were as follows for their last two years at MO & OSU, respectively:

CB: 464/701 for 66.1%; 7.01 YPA; 23 TDs/17 Ints; ERs of 132.1 & 130.2; -1 rush yards, -1.2 YPA
CN: 270/429 for 62.9%; 8.43 YPA; 26 TDs/18 Ints; ERs of 148.3 & 136.9; 508 rush yds, 4.4 YPC

Bottom line: CB's completion % was somewhat better, but he threw for 1.42 fewer yards per passing attempt; CN's TD/Int ratio was slightly better despite him throwing longer passes; and CN averaged 5.2 YPC more per rush attempt.

I sure hope we get him.
I, too hope we get him. However, 7 TD / 8 Int in 2022 is troubling. That includes 4TDs VS FCS Montana State. It certainly sounds similar to Baz at Mizzou.

If we get him, Bell better dial up throws he can actually make, rather than forcing him to be someone he isn't. I think he's a good facilitator - can excel at distributing the ball to play makers. We don't need him to take the game over and carry the team. Also, he isn't going to beat teams with his legs like a true Dual Threat but he can keep them honest at least.

We can win with him.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Any more context there or nah?
I saw glimpses of improvement like the MSU game and parts of other games. I saw enough to give me hope that better coaching through the Spring and Summer would have made this a better unit. I thought they came off the ball very slow early and fired off the line on the snap after Carey took over. The DL moved before the OL early and I was horrified that our staff allowed that to happen.

I sure hope we get him.
I've looked at 2 sites for transfer ranking--one called On3 and 247. On3 lists 300 players, 247 lists 300.

Here's what they say about IU transfers so far--

Tuttle--out to Michigan---#252 on 247
Barner--out to Michigan---$292 on On3; #55 on 247
R. Thomas-out to ?---#282 on On3
D McCullough---#14 on On3; #11 on 247

Andre Carter---#26 on On3; #16 on 247--wow
Jamier Johnson---#208 on 247
Max Longman---#260 on 247
EJ Williams---#196 on 247
Christian Turner---#203 on On3
Dequece Carter---#90 on On3
Nicholas Toomer & L. Carr---not listed

Chance Nolan has not committed---Is rated #201 on On3, not listed on 247 unless I missed him.....Hard to believe if Tuttle is #252 on the 247 site.

I, too hope we get him. However, 7 TD / 8 Int in 2022 is troubling. That includes 4TDs VS FCS Montana State. It certainly sounds similar to Baz at Mizzou.

If we get him, Bell better dial up throws he can actually make, rather than forcing him to be someone he isn't. I think he's a good facilitator - can excel at distributing the ball to play makers. We don't need him to take the game over and carry the team. Also, he isn't going to beat teams with his legs like a true Dual Threat but he can keep them honest at least.

We can win with him.

Yes....maybe that's why 247 doesn't list him in their top 263 transfers.....just looking at career #s, he looks better than Baz did coming in. I don't have any idea at what happened at OSU other than that situation against Montana St., and that they went on a big winning streak when he got hurt.

Yes....maybe that's why 247 doesn't list him in their top 263 transfers.....just looking at career #s, he looks better than Baz did coming in. I don't have any idea at what happened at OSU other than that situation against Montana St., and that they went on a big winning streak when he got hurt.
They look about the same. CN was more mobile vs Pac12 and CB was more accurate VS SEC. Different levels of competition as well.

I just want Bell to run an offense suited to his QBs, whoever they may be.

I think the big difference is this kid can run. He's fast. Bell needs to run a running spread. The lack of mobility was a huge issue last year. There were runs that Bell's offense made available but Bazelak could not take advantage of those.

I think the big difference is this kid can run. He's fast. Bell needs to run a running spread. The lack of mobility was a huge issue last year. There were runs that Bell's offense made available but Bazelak could not take advantage of those.
Bell has always wanted to run a run-first tempo spread. They just didn’t have the player(s) to do it.

Reactions: red hornet
Neither our scheme nor the players up front will look anything like what BB had at Wisconsin. He coached guys who went into a S&C program that was geared toward a different result than ours, and they were a power running attack. We run a tempo spread that doesn’t really utilize a TE and features wider splits and lighter linemen. Great to have a proven Coach up there, but the proclamations of greatness when most didn’t even know who he was until a couple of weeks ago are more than a little premature.
I rarely know another school’s position coach name, but I’ve known LSU has produced many good DB’s, Penn St used to be Linebacker U, Georgia has incredible DL. And I definitely remembered many Wiscy OL going into the NFL. So I actually think Bostad’s resume is better at OL than Rod Carey, who I definitely think helped our OL look better than our pal Hiller the OL Killer.

We can win with him.
The reason for.the interceptions is that the guy does not have a strong arm and the throws that work against Montana state do not against high caliber teams. This is a huge deal. Without a doubt major programs are not going after him. I bet our competition are the Ohio's and Western Michigan's of the football world.

The reason for.the interceptions is that the guy does not have a strong arm and the throws that work against Montana state do not against high caliber teams. This is a huge deal. Without a doubt major programs are not going after him. I bet our competition are the Ohio's and Western Michigan's of the football world.
Just remember Ramsey didn't have the strongest arm either but did very well with a very good OC at IU and NW. The question is Bell good enough to adjust his passing game to Nolan's ability or will he try to put a square peg into a round hole? If Bell does adjust the offense to Nolan's strengths it will really help our offense.

Just remember Ramsey didn't have the strongest arm either but did very well with a very good OC at IU and NW. The question is Bell good enough to adjust his passing game to Nolan's ability or will he try to put a square peg into a round hole? If Bell does adjust the offense to Nolan's strengths it will really help our offense.
This is true but Peyton was a unique player. We can't just act like he was some run of the mill talent just because he didn't have an arm like Elway. Dude made great decisions and had great accuracy. I don't think he ever would have those stats .

Nolan is going to have to stay at Oregon State this semester to be able to graduate.

At this point, I’m not sure what CTA will do. I’m sure they want a QB here for spring ball.

The article I read yesterday said he was visiting other schools the next couple of weeks.
Supposedly IU is visiting him this weekend.
If they can’t get a commitment this weekend they need to move on to the next guy in my
opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT