ADVERTISEMENT

Carroll wins. Millions in damages.

GFHGq7VWEAAcg9K

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Trump lost 2.9 million jobs in his four years. Now it looks like most of those are his former attorneys.

Trump really is a weak, incompetent loser.
Lol there was a pandemic. Draconian states put companies out of business. Biden hasn’t gotten a single thing right. Lowest approval rating in modern history. Wake up. Stop being blindly partisan. It’s okay to hate trump and recognize Biden sucks

Last edited:
I'll preface in saying that this doesn't actually relate or influence the facts in the case she just won (but it might impact the appeal). That said, this type of spiking the football is a horrible look. This is all kinds of glib, tone-deaf, stupid and pathetic. Maddow should have shut this down. I couldn't care less what Trump or the MAGA crowd thinks, though I'm sure they'll blow a gasket. This isn't really about them.

Grow the eff up E. Jean.

Last edited:
I'll preface in saying that this doesn't actually relate or influence the facts she just won (but it might impact the appeal). That said, this type of spiking the football is a horrible look. This is all kinds of glib, tone-deaf, stupid and pathetic. Maddow should have shut this down. I couldn't care less what Trump or the MAGA crowd thinks, though I'm sure they'll blow a gasket. This isn't really about them.

Grow the eff up E. Jean.

Probably a bad time to be joking but meh. She probably didn't have a plan on what to do with money she hasn't gotten yet so instead just tried to be funny.

MAGA crowd would hate whatever she said.

Reactions: UncleMark
I'll preface in saying that this doesn't actually relate or influence the facts in the case she just won (but it might impact the appeal). That said, this type of spiking the football is a horrible look. This is all kinds of glib, tone-deaf, stupid and pathetic. Maddow should have shut this down. I couldn't care less what Trump or the MAGA crowd thinks, though I'm sure they'll blow a gasket. This isn't really about them.

Grow the eff up E. Jean.

I can’t make myself give a shit.

Probably a bad time to be joking but meh. She probably didn't have a plan on what to do with money she hasn't gotten yet so instead just tried to be funny.

MAGA crowd would hate whatever she said.
You're right about the MAGA crowd hating her regardless of what she said. I'm about as far from the MAGA crowd as you can get and I thought this was in extremely poor form and not funny. I'm surprised Maddow didn't do more to shut this down and redirect it. She tried at the end I guess, but for what it's worth I think it's fair for her to keep a serious conversation about a serious topic serious and above board.

At the very least, E. Jean Carroll needs a lot of media coaching. And some couth.

You're right about the MAGA crowd hating her regardless of what she said. I'm about as far from the MAGA crowd as you can get and I thought this was in extremely poor form and not funny. I'm surprised Maddow didn't do more to shut this down and redirect it. She tried at the end I guess, but for what it's worth I think it's fair for her to keep a serious conversation about a serious topic serious and above board.

At the very least, E. Jean Carroll needs a lot of media coaching. And some couth.
The word eccentric doesn't adequately describe E. Jean.

Eh they hate trump. That woman’s too old to have fun with it. If I ever hit Powerball I imagine I’ll suffer the same cruel cosmic joke. Altho I imagine she’ll get her dough fairly soon. If trump’s hot lawyer didn’t know how to introduce shit at trial zero chance she knew how to preserve errors for appeal
Carroll hasn't received a penny yet. With Trump's inevitable appeals, her first receipt is several months away, at the earliest. When she starts receiving her money from Trump, she'll be bombarded with new ideas for spending her money. Some of that will be fun.

Carroll hasn't received a penny yet. With Trump's inevitable appeals, her first receipt is several months away, at the earliest. When she starts receiving her money from Trump, she'll be bombarded with new ideas for spending her money. Some of that will be fun.
You’re an idiot. That lady is as goofy as you. Woke cult weirdo

but for what it's worth I think it's fair for her to keep a serious conversation about a serious topic serious and above board.

The word eccentric doesn't adequately describe E. Jean.

If you watched the entire segment (and not just the clip above) you would know it was serious and above board, until late when they were wrapping up and Maddow asked EJC what she planned on doing with the money. That's when Carroll decided to have some fun. Shame on her.

If you can see the whole segment you should. Maddow's summary of Carroll's rise in the NY publishing and social scene was eye opening. She was a big name in NYC at the time of the assault, arguably bigger than Trump.

Grow the eff up E. Jean.

Nah.

This is like asking a lottery winner if he is going to work the next day. At that point he hasn't received a dime, so if course he will go to work the next day.

Same for Carroll. She hasn't received a dime. Her answer doesn't matter either.

If you watched the entire segment (and not just the clip above) you would know it was serious and above board, until late when they were wrapping up and Maddow asked EJC what she planned on doing with the money. That's when Carroll decided to have some fun. Shame on her.

If you can see the whole segment you should. Maddow's summary of Carroll's rise in the NY publishing and social scene was eye opening. She was a big name in NYC at the time of the assault, arguably bigger than Trump.
Her friend, whom she told about the incident was also a big name. Do you remember how big the Officicle Preppy Handbook was? She wrote that and several other popular books.

Reactions: UncleMark

I don’t doubt that. I like Maddow and despite all the criticisms against cable news, she’s probably as good a journalist in the traditional sense on either side from that forum.

I still think joking about it was wrong-headed and shouldn’t have aired. I also think it’s going to cost Carroll several millions of dollars in the appeal.

I don’t doubt that. I like Maddow and despite all the criticisms against cable news, she’s probably as good a journalist in the traditional sense on either side from that forum.

I still think joking about it was wrong-headed and shouldn’t have aired. I also think it’s going to cost Carroll several millions of dollars in the appeal.
While it was an ill-advised joke and made the others noticeably uncomfortable, I don't think it should alter the judgment against Trump.

The damages amount isn't so much decided on how much Carroll deserves but more on how much it would take to get Trump to stop. When someone is a billionaire (or at least pretends to be) then it takes a larger amount to make them think twice about doing something compared to the average Joe.

While IANAL, I can't imagine the damages could be lowered based on what the plaintiff plans on doing with the money. The award is based on the defendant's behavior and circumstances.

Her friend, whom she told about the incident was also a big name. Do you remember how big the Officicle Preppy Handbook was? She wrote that and several other popular books.

Birnbach was on Lawrence after EJC's appearance on Rachel. Her name sounded familiar, but I didn't follow up on her. She noted on several occasions that Carroll was an oddball and eccentric, which was part of her notoriety in the NYC scene.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
Nah.

This is like asking a lottery winner if he is going to work the next day. At that point he hasn't received a dime, so if course he will go to work the next day.

Same for Carroll. She hasn't received a dime. Her answer doesn't matter either.
She didn’t win the lottery. She was awarded damages for defamation stemming from a sexual assault and rape case.

At best it was in extremely poor taste.

Reactions: jet812
While IANAL, I can't imagine the damages could be lowered based on what the plaintiff plans on doing with the money. The award is based on the defendant's behavior and circumstances.
I’d be curious to hear lawyers weigh in on this because I honestly don’t know.

I’d have to think at least in someway making light of the damages from a defamation case stemming from a rape trial runs contrary to the prosecution’s case and how they depicted their client.

Didn't see you for a while, and glad you're posting again.

I agree that Carroll publicly joking about how she is going to spend the money was inappropriate, but it won't have any impact on the appeal. Punitive damages are intended to punish a defendant and deter future similar misconduct. Nothing she said or says post-trial changes that. Also, her comments, while childish and in bad form, were innocuous. As you or someone else said, she's spiking the football. Many wouldn't do it, but there's no prohibition against it.

I'm going off on a tangent here, but are you aware of the comments Trump directed at Carroll's attorney, Roberta Kaplan, when he was deposed? After testifying that Carroll wasn't his type, he looked at Kaplan and added: "You would not be my choice of mine either, to be honest with you. I hope you're not insulted. I would not under any circumstances have any interest in you. I'm honest when I say it."

He is just such an asshole. I'm sure Kaplan is spiking the ball - - privately.

Reactions: Bill4411

I agree that Carroll publicly joking about how she is going to spend the money was inappropriate, but it won't have any impact on the appeal. Punitive damages are intended to punish a defendant and deter future similar misconduct. Nothing she said or says post-trial changes that. Also, her comments, while childish and in bad form, were innocuous. As you or someone else said, she's spiking the football. Many wouldn't do it, but there's no prohibition against it.

I'm going off on a tangent here, but are you aware of the comments Trump directed at Carroll's attorney, Roberta Kaplan, when he was deposed? After testifying that Carroll wasn't his type, he looked at Kaplan and added: "You would not be my choice of mine either, to be honest with you. I hope you're not insulted. I would not under any circumstances have any interest in you. I'm honest when I say it."

The fact he throws that stuff in there. What a pig. Like he would be anyone’s type if he didn’t have money. But of course, he’d never think of that.

Reactions: Bowlmania

Yeah - Trump is absolutely an asshole, slime ball, ignoramus and pompous know-nothing who deserves everything coming his way. I’m in no way defending him or disagreeing with the ruling in this case.

It just didn’t sit with me that Carroll was making light of it in such glib fashion.

Trump is a lawyer's worst nightmare, and his failure to pay the bills is only part of it.

He can't be controlled. One of the lawyers for Carroll said that a key theme of their case was that Trump is a bully and doesn't play by the rules. She commented that when Trump abruptly got up and stormed out during their closing, he demonstrated exactly that. She said she felt like she and her team almost didn't need to say anything; Trump did the work for them. There's a lot of speculation that his little tantrum factored into the high punitive damages award.

He'll pull this same shit (or worse) during the criminal trials and will again hurt his own case.

One of Carroll's lawyers also noted that Habba's (Trump's incompetent but attractive trial counsel) courtroom demeanor was dictated by whether or not Trump was present. When Trump was in the room, Habba was hostile and combative with the judge. When Trump wasn't around, she was respectful and deferential. Good trial attorneys know that you never get anywhere by behaving like an asshole in open court. Clearly his attorneys are playing for an audience of one. They're focused more on staying in Trump's good graces rather than being the best possible trial advocate.

Finally, another "con" to serving as counsel to The Con is there's a good chance you'll end up getting sued or indicted.

Maddow is a journalist?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT