ADVERTISEMENT

Biden rolling out another student debt forgiveness plan.

That isn't going to raise shit. Maybe $2B/yr optimistically.
Seen any estimates of the cost of Biden's proposed loan forgiveness? Anyone seen what Biden is relying on to justify his power to do this? Did he get elected king?

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
It’s taxed and regulated like a mother ****er now. Your stats for the industry mean little. Again 25 percent are profitable. At the end of the day it’s just selling a retail product at wholesale but unlike T-shirts there are endless regs that make the cost of doing business really high. We have a manufacturing license and a dispensary license. So there’s value there. Almost like owning the building a restaurant is in. So if the restaurant goes belly up you still have a good asset. All it takes is gov to issue more licenses and that asset diminishes in value. People hear cannabis and think it’s some goldmine when it’s not. It’s a product. Sold cheap that requires considerable start up expenses and you still compete with a black market not subject to the same rules
Well actually they do. Billions of dollars in revenues that could easily be taxed appropriately if the feds would get off there ass on this issue. This would by and large fix the state tax issues as well. It has for the alcohol industry. No one even notices the excise taxes on that.

I agree that's many states have screwed this up. That's why I think federal legalization, regulation, and taxation is a good thing.

Seen any estimates of the cost of Biden's proposed loan forgiveness? Anyone seen what Biden is relying on to justify his power to do this? Did he get elected king?

No idea. They claim something like $140B on what they have already done. And that's before this one.

So it will only take 70 years of cannabis excise taxes to cover that. Great Cheech math on that one.

Well actually they do. Billions of dollars in revenues that could easily be taxed appropriately if the feds would get off there ass on this issue. This would by and large fix the state tax issues as well. It has for the alcohol industry. No one even notices the excise taxes on that.

I agree that's many states have screwed this up. That's why I think federal legalization, regulation, and taxation is a good thing.

Alcohol federal excise taxes are $10B/yr. It's a rounding error. Immaterial.

it's a viable business because as long as a shit ton of new licenses aren't granted the licenses themselves are assets (tho depreciating already), but this industry is not the cash cow people thought. margins are not great, it's heavily regulated, and it's just a product ultimately like anything else. as it stands taxes are predicated on the product, amount of thc, etc.

we are already ready to get the F out if a good offer from a mso came

Ok. Multi billion dollar industry. How much is your tax going to take in? Because the program you are putting forth might cost more than the revenue from cannabis.
I have know idea what a free college program would cost. Maybe it's only for certain degrees?

Federal excise on alcohol in 2022 was $10 billion.

it's a viable business because as long as a shit ton of new licenses aren't granted the licenses themselves are assets (tho depreciating already), but this industry is not the cash cow people thought. margins are not great, it's heavily regulated, and it's just a product ultimately like anything else
It's also a product that's basically a commodity, with no barrier to entry and easy to produce. Michigan has so much product they give it away for free just to try to get you in the door. It's not a good business.

it's a viable business because as long as a shit ton of new licenses aren't granted the licenses themselves are assets (tho depreciating already), but this industry is not the cash cow people thought. margins are not great, it's heavily regulated, and it's just a product ultimately like anything else. as it stands taxes are predicated on the product, amount of thc, etc.

we are already ready to get the F out
To many producers right now for sure. That will shake out. It will be a cash cow for someone.

It's also a product that's basically a commodity, with no barrier to entry and easy to produce. Michigan has so much product they give it away for free just to try to get you in the door. It's not a good business.
the licenses are a barrier to entry and that's why there's benefit there. i was at happy hour w/ one of the primary owners (lifelong friend) over the weekend and i was telling him that now that we have a dispensary license we really ought to sell it. once they lose value what's left. as for your giving away product yes. we are in over 100 dispensaries and did so by selling to same for cheap af

Fk him. Such a pathetic panderer. His entire admin has been a train wreck of cone head policy makers.

Politically brain dead too... Soo concerned about losing the loony lefties they pump out policies that loses them 2 votes for every one they gain.

I hate Trump and his merry band of morons....but there is nothing more insidious and dangerous than progressive policies. And Biden played right into it and trapped himself. Doesn't know up from down at this point.
The system is already dysfunctional and this just makes it worse.

The first and biggest was slapped down by the USSC. The second one got done some how. And now there's a third one. And he hopes to get it out there before the election so he can get some more deadbeat votes.

I can’t believe a piece of shit like Biden would steal from the American public to gain a few votes 🙄

the licenses are a barrier to entry and that's why there's benefit there. i was at happy hour w/ one of the primary owners (lifelong friend) over the weekend and i was telling him that now that we have a dispensary license we really ought to sell it. once they lose value what's left. as for your giving away product yes. we are in over 100 dispensaries and did so by selling to same for cheap af

Yeah I get that..... But it's a tough balance to figure out. Not enough licenses the black market continues to thrive. Too many and it's everywhere and cheaper than water. Literally couldn't believe how cheap things were in N Michigan....$100 worth of product would keep me high for a year. Not sure how that's a viable business.

Yeah I get that..... But it's a tough balance to figure out. Not enough licenses the black market continues to thrive. Too many and it's everywhere and cheaper than water. Literally couldn't believe how cheap things were in N Michigan....$100 worth of product would keep me high for a year. Not sure how that's a viable business.
Yup. these dispensaries have product events so my friends and i went to one. the one guy 25 years at anderson/peoplesoft/oracle/accenture, the other a thunderbird mba hedge fund guy, and me. no one approached our table. we brought in a guy who looks exactly like Ice T and let him sit by himself and the table was poppin :). We all want out

Last edited:
Yup. these dispensaries have product events so my friends and i went to one. the one guy 25 years at anderson/peoplesoft/oracle/accenture, the other a thunderbird mba hedge fund guy, and me. no one approached our table. we brought in a guy who looks exactly like Ice T and let him sit by himself and the table was poppin :). We all want out

What, no booth babes?

You need a Kelley grad to work with you on these things. Or just a poor white trailer denizen.

The first and biggest was slapped down by the USSC. The second one got done some how. And now there's a third one. And he hopes to get it out there before the election so he can get some more deadbeat votes.

FJB

What, no booth babes?
the dispensary crowd is awful. that doesnt work. they want people who speak their lingo and smell. my manufacturing business now that's a different story. i've become friends with the owner of the company that is our top competitor and he pulled that at one of the conventions. said he just got online and booth girls is a business. they were attractive too. better than give aways

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I have know idea what a free college program would cost. Maybe it's only for certain degrees?

Federal excise on alcohol in 2022 was $10 billion.
Looks like 13.5 million kids attend public universities in the US. Avg. cost is ~$10k.

That's $135 billion a year for those kids. Per year.

If its tied to tax brackets than I'm all for it.

Public universities should be free for all that make under a certain level and as long as they maintain an above average gpa. Some degrees like teaching, nursing, and tech trades should be free no matter what.

It's not realistic. There are two reasons why:

1) Friggin nurses are making $80-$100K. You can't cut their annual comp in half, even if you make tuition free.

2) What about all of those teachers, nurses, etc. that actually paid their loans off? Rewriting the rules is stupid and will never provide fairness. Responsible adults are screwed. That's not how society should function.

It's not realistic. There are two reasons why:

1) Friggin nurses are making $80-$100K. You can't cut their annual comp in half, even if you make tuition free.

2) What about all of those teachers, nurses, etc. that actually paid their loans off? Rewriting the rules is stupid and will never provide fairness. Responsible adults are screwed. That's not how society should function.
I think it's completely realistic to lower the cost of education. One action, already started in some places, cut back on administrators--like DEI administrators.

Reactions: mattndallas
the dispensary crowd is awful. that doesnt work. they want people who speak their lingo and smell.

In that case you should DM @T.M.P.

i've become friends with the owner of the company that is our top competitor and he pulled that at one of the conventions. said he just got online and booth girls is a business. they were attractive too. better than give aways

So let me get this straight, you only recently learned that booth babes are a thing?

Sadly, pubs are saying nothing to address the issue, at least from what I can find.

My solution would be:

1) reduce college to 3 years by scrapping electives and prep courses. That's a 25% cost reduction.

2) make college a forgivable loan type of program. Students can have loans forgiven if a) degree completed within 3.5 years with a 2.5 GPA or higher and b) after 5 years out of college, the student is in the 12% tax bracket, regardless of filing status.

3) The loan would be forgiven as a tax credit over a 10 year period if payments made on time. For example, after 5 years upon graduating, my payments start and I make them. Upon filing my taxes, I may receive a dollar for dollar tax credit to offset the payment if my taxable income falls into the 12% bracket. That's about 50k of income by a single filer or 115k for joint. So when a student reaches a higher bracket, the credit would phase out.

I have not run the numbers as I don't know every student's income post college. But the data is there.

4) provide a commuter credit as well.

5) provide corporate tax credits or deductions for companies that pay for college. It's already an expense deduction but maybe make the deduction 1.5x the amount or a special tax credit.

Colleges won't do anything to help the problem but the govt can get creative to alleviate the problem.

Too bad pubs do nothing while dems just find a new way to buy votes. And the problem never gets solved.

Sadly, pubs are saying nothing to address the issue, at least from what I can find.

My solution would be:

1) reduce college to 3 years by scrapping electives and prep courses. That's a 25% cost reduction.

2) make college a forgivable loan type of program. Students can have loans forgiven if a) degree completed within 3.5 years with a 2.5 GPA or higher and b) after 5 years out of college, the student is in the 12% tax bracket, regardless of filing status.

3) The loan would be forgiven as a tax credit over a 10 year period if payments made on time. For example, after 5 years upon graduating, my payments start and I make them. Upon filing my taxes, I may receive a dollar for dollar tax credit to offset the payment if my taxable income falls into the 12% bracket. That's about 50k of income by a single filer or 115k for joint. So when a student reaches a higher bracket, the credit would phase out.

I have not run the numbers as I don't know every student's income post college. But the data is there.

4) provide a commuter credit as well.

5) provide corporate tax credits or deductions for companies that pay for college. It's already an expense deduction but maybe make the deduction 1.5x the amount or a special tax credit.

Colleges won't do anything to help the problem but the govt can get creative to alleviate the problem.

Too bad pubs do nothing while dems just find a new way to buy votes. And the problem never gets solved.
What is the problem that never gets solved?
You can go to Stl Community College for two years at $2,200 a year then UMSL for two years at $11k a year. Get a degree for $25k. You can work and pay for that no problem. Fla state schools are $6k a year. Commute. Someone said some schools are luxuries. Maybe going away is and isn’t for everyone anymore. Biden’s act is just more free cheese. The answer to that is vote him out

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
What is the problem that never gets solved?
You can go to Stl Community College for two years at $2,200 a year then UMSL for two years at $11k a year. Get a degree for $25k. You can work and pay for that no problem. Fla state schools are $6k a year. Commute. Someone said some schools are luxuries. Maybe going away is and isn’t for everyone anymore. Biden’s act is just more free cheese. The answer to that is vote him out
So U of Florida is $6k in state??

What are they doing/not doing differently?

Shouldn’t we be copying that model then???
Fla does a lot right. North go to UF or fsu. Tampa/Sarasota u of so fla. Orlando ucf. Miami FIU. Fort Lauderdale boca palm beaches FAU. There’s a big state school close to populated centers where tuition is six grand

I’ve always wanted to trot out this GOP line:

The loan forgiveness will pay for itself through the economic growth caused by additional consumption by those affected. The surge in demand will fuel employment and trickle down to the rest of society.

Fla does a lot right. North go to UF or fsu. Tampa/Sarasota u of so fla. Orlando ucf. Miami FIU. Fort Lauderdale boca palm beaches FAU. There’s a big state school close to populated centers where tuition is six grand
Not only that, but they give full tuition scholarships to all students who meet certain pretty easy to meet criteria.

Again, why aren’t we copying what they are doing everywhere??

Guess they use all lottery funds to cover higher Ed

I’ve always wanted to trot out this GOP line:

The loan forgiveness will pay for itself through the economic growth caused by additional consumption by those affected. The surge in demand will fuel employment and trickle down to the rest of society.
Are the loans forgiven being means tested?

Best Florida city to live in?

Not only that, but they give full tuition scholarships to all students who meet certain pretty easy to meet criteria.

Again, why aren’t we copying what they are doing everywhere??

Guess they use all lottery funds to cover higher Ed
amazing stuff

Best Florida city to live in?
Honestly post Covid with all the New Yorkers who fled I think it’s all pretty awful unfortunately. Overcrowded. Prior I liked Sarasota siesta/key on the gulf and Delray/boca on the Atlantic

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT