ADVERTISEMENT

Blidi in portal

Are you assuming a current player would be defined as a “recruit” in this context? That would surprise me.

I think it’s different to say to a RECRUIT “come to IU and you will get paid x dollars” vs. to a PLAYER “We will pay you to be in an ad this fall as long as you still play here”. Maybe not, just pointing out the discrepancy in what it actually says and what you are saying it says.

I think recruit and player are interchangeable.

Scholarships are 1 year renewals. That's why the portal is so rampant these days.

Of all the great characters in that movie Bear Claw was probably my favorite. He had some great lines.
  • Jeremiah Johnson : Y'ever get lonesome?
    Bear Claw Chris Lapp : Fer what?
    Jeremiah Johnson : Woman?
    Bear Claw Chris Lapp : Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads. I lodge-poled her at Deadwood Creek, and traded her for a Hawken gun. But don't get me wrong; I loves the womens, I surely do. But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it.

• Jeremiah Johnson : Y'ever get lonesome?
    Bear Claw Chris Lapp : Fer what?
    Jeremiah Johnson : Woman?
    Bear Claw Chris Lapp : Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads. I lodge-poled her at Deadwood Creek, and traded her for a Hawken gun. But don't get me wrong; I loves the womens, I surely do. But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it.
Skin that one pilgrim and I'll fetch ya another one. Great stuff.

Reactions: 76-1 and DANC
I want to be VERY clear...this had ZERO to do with NIL. Absolutely nothing, and anyone who says differently is incorrect or intentionally misleading a narrative.

My statement above is 100% accurate. You have my word.
Without sharing too many details, can you give a general idea why he chose to move on? You indicated he liked his new position coaches. Was it just the overall change in staff or seeking new opportunities for development in a different environment?
Makes sense that if this wasn’t the staff he signed on to play for, he simply chose to move in.

Reactions: red hornet
I want to be VERY clear...this had ZERO to do with NIL. Absolutely nothing, and anyone who says differently is incorrect or intentionally misleading a narrative.

My statement above is 100% accurate. You have my word.
Is it true he took a big chunk of his NIL money before he left?

I have no reason not to believe it had nothing to do with NIL. People have their reasons for leaving. But if he took part of his NIL money and then skipped out, that's not good.

Is it true he took a big chunk of his NIL money before he left?

I have no reason not to believe it had nothing to do with NIL. People have their reasons for leaving. But if he took part of his NIL money and then skipped out, that's not good.
Phil called Kuntz directly within 24 hours of making this decision. He signed his paperwork the very next day.

Two main reasons it moved so quickly:

1- he did not want to take away playbook implementation or snaps from other guys.

2- he did not want additional NIL installments paid. If he would have hit the portal on April 15, April’s NIL would have been paid out. While I have not confirmed this directly, my understanding is that it was not (and should not) paid out.

Change is hard and it was a really difficult decision for him. No one likes to deliver bad news. He did it like a man, looked his coaches in the eye and spoke the truth. He continues to do so. We continue to be proud of how he has handled himself.

Last edited:
Phil called Kuntz directly within 24 hours of making this decision. He signed his paperwork the very next day.

1- he did not want to take away playbook implementation or snaps from other guys.

2- he did not want additional NIL installments paid. If he would have hit the portal on April 15, April’s NIL would have been paid out. While I have not confirmed this directly, my understanding is that it was not (and should not) paid out.

Change is hard and it was a really difficult decision for him. No one likes to deliver bad news. He did it like a man, looked his coaches in the eye and spoke the truth. He continues to do so. We continue to be proud of how he has handled himself.
I don’t understand why so much is being made of this. It’s what’s best for him, his family etc. people still don’t know Philip is a family man. I mean he has kids to think about. This isn’t some kid out of high school thinking of himself. Tell Philip that fathers on this board understand. Hope he kills it wherever he ends up.

I don’t understand why so much is being made of this. It’s what’s best for him, his family etc. people still don’t know Philip is a family man. I mean he has kids to think about. This isn’t some kid out of high school thinking of himself. Tell Philip that fathers on this board understand. Hope he kills it wherever he ends up.
Great Post.

Phil was the absolute nicest guy to my kid after the Penn State game. Super humble. And as big as a house. He’s also obviously a family man, like you said. He’s got a life to take care of that goes way beyond any of us. Like, maybe it’s better for his wife & kids to be somewhere else for some reason. Not my business.

He was a class act for IU. His dad has been a class act on the board. Best wishes for all of them.

I think it is more the NIL aspect than blidi specifically that gets fans making more of things.

I know it isn't technically pay for play but we all know it is exactly that even if it is wink wink nudge nudge. So mid off-season transfers after some NIL has been given may elicit more irritation than normal. On the flip side, we will be going after our own mid-offseason transfers so it will even out in the long run

Anyway, I am sure blidi had his reasons and hopefully he finds a better situation for him.

And more importantly from our selfish perspective, hopefully iu can go out and find a good replacement

I think it is more the NIL aspect than blidi specifically that gets fans making more of things.

I know it isn't technically pay for play but we all know it is exactly that even if it is wink wink nudge nudge. So mid off-season transfers after some NIL has been given may elicit more irritation than normal. On the flip side, we will be going after our own mid-offseason transfers so it will even out in the long run

Anyway, I am sure blidi had his reasons and hopefully he finds a better situation for him.

And more importantly from our selfish perspective, hopefully iu can go out and find a good replacement
Well if the NIL payments are monthly/quarterly I see no reason to gripe. In no way in every other working environment would we be expected to pay our salaries back. So if it is treated like a job then let’s treat it that way.

Well if the NIL payments are monthly/quarterly I see no reason to gripe. In no way in every other working environment would we be expected to pay our salaries back. So if it is treated like a job then let’s treat it that way.
It would be more comparable to teachers though given the not working year round aspect. Some teachers don't get paid in the offseason and those that do are likely paid based on their job for the preceding school year. Not paid in advance with no guarantee that they will stay for the job.

The whole NIL setup is completely crazy. Salary donations that can't be paid by school masquerading as NIL that are not allowed to be tied to staying for the job. I'd rather just go with the NBA/NFL model and be done with the charade.

Last edited:
Remember that NIL has nothing to do with the player’s ties to a university. The contract agreements they sign are around an individual and their name, image and likeness. There isn’t a contingency that the player stay at the university. Just like when Quinn Ewers signed a 3 year NIL deal out of high school worth something like $1.4 million, he didn’t lose that when he moved on to Texas after 1 season. These deals are typically for national brands, like when Ewers signed another NIL deal while at UT with Sonic fast food. These NIL deals follow an athlete. Not contingent on the school they play for.
This is why the collectives supporting IU might have some leverage because their deals require local charitable work. So, if an IU kid moves on, he’s not going to be able to come back to Bloomington and do work on behalf of the Monroe County Boys and Girls Club. But, in a case like Ewers, U think his obligation was basically signing autographs and he can take that with him anywhere. I think most NIL deals travel.

So basically he was paid his NIL payments month to month. He was taking them in good faith believing he would be staying at Indiana. Something happened that made him decide that transferring would be his best option and after making this decision he immediately let the coaches know even though he could have waited a little bit of time and got another check from IU.

If this is what happened then the dude did nothing wrong and handled himself as a man. No issues with this at all.

Remember that NIL has nothing to do with the player’s ties to a university. The contract agreements they sign are around an individual and their name, image and likeness. There isn’t a contingency that the player stay at the university. Just like when Quinn Ewers signed a 3 year NIL deal out of high school worth something like $1.4 million, he didn’t lose that when he moved on to Texas after 1 season. These deals are typically for national brands, like when Ewers signed another NIL deal while at UT with Sonic fast food. These NIL deals follow an athlete. Not contingent on the school they play for.
This is why the collectives supporting IU might have some leverage because their deals require local charitable work. So, if an IU kid moves on, he’s not going to be able to come back to Bloomington and do work on behalf of the Monroe County Boys and Girls Club. But, in a case like Ewers, U think his obligation was basically signing autographs and he can take that with him anywhere. I think most NIL deals travel.
Riiiiii-iiiiiiiiiiiiiight........

giphy.gif

So basically he was paid his NIL payments month to month. He was taking them in good faith believing he would be staying at Indiana. Something happened that made him decide that transferring would be his best option and after making this decision he immediately let the coaches know even though he could have waited a little bit of time and got another check from IU.

If this is what happened then the dude did nothing wrong and handled himself as a man. No issues with this at all.
I guess the question for me is, did he really believe he was staying at IU?

What if he had a sure thing at IU and decided to stay long enough to see if he could get another, better offer? Sorry - I'm not OK with that. Not that it makes any difference.

I get that he has a family, but many of us put off having a family until we could afford them. He was getting a full scholarship and NIL money from IU - he wasn't starving and neither was his family.

As I said, it's his decision. But I seriously doubt something drastic happened - outside NIL issues - that would have made him change his mind.

It’s simply not true that NIL has “nothing to do” with ties to a university. You must not have noticed national TV ads featuring players wearing jerseys that are obviously from Bama or whatnot. It’s actually a pretty big part of it.

Last edited:

What if he had a sure thing at IU and decided to stay long enough to see if he could get another, better offer? Sorry - I'm not OK with that. Not that it makes any difference.

I get that he has a family, but many of us put off having a family until we could afford them. He was getting a full scholarship and NIL money from IU - he wasn't starving and neither was his family.

As I said, it's his decision. But I seriously doubt something drastic happened - outside NIL issues - that would have made him change his mind.
DANC always knows better than people with direct knowledge of things. Always.

• Haha
Reactions: YOTHN
DANC always knows better than people with direct knowledge of things. Always.

It's not unusual for there to be some disruption in the roster after a coaching change. No big deal we'll get someone else.

Two payment deal agreed upon for this year, wasn't a month by month deal. First half was recently paid as good faith, the rest to be paid after the season.

The first half paid (and lost), was +$100k, unless you consider that payment for past services, or off-season winter training (C'mon).

As an Indiana fan, we just got taken for six-figures that could have been used for actual future Indiana contributors.

Two payment deal agreed upon for this year, wasn't a month by month deal. First half was recently paid as good faith, the rest to be paid after the season.

The first half paid (and lost), was +$100k, unless you consider that payment for past services, or off-season winter training (C'mon).

As an Indiana fan, we just got taken for six-figures that could have been used for actual future Indiana contributors.

Wow!! I didn't think a middle-tier P5 talent like Blidi would get +$100k!!... and be on scholarship on top of that!!... Hardship?!!?? I say more like, bullship...

IU got screwed bad on this one and CCig has shown a lot of class by doing nothing more than, "throwing a little shade", on it.

I've lost all respect for the guy. Goodbye.

I have no idea the amount of payments…not my business. But 100% there are monthly payments. That I know.

ALL parties operated in good faith. NOTHING was done with a spirit of ill intent and for you to be a part of this “narrative” they are trying to push is not good.

There are very specific reasons Phil decided to leave. He was up front with those concerns from the start and they continued to be issues.

We hate that this is getting sideways, but it does not concern us at all. We have documented the issues and each conversation. Thank goodness.

This will be my final post on the site. We wish nothing but the best for these coaches, these players, and above all…the university.

For us (Indiana), a learning experience obviously. We don't have the NIL funds of the Ohio State's of the world, so we can't endure many (if any) "take-the-money-and-runs".

Unfortunately, to be competitive, you have to "front" money in certain occasions on sought after players.

We've never "fronted", and then had a player split, until now.

For us (Indiana), a learning experience obviously. We don't have the NIL funds of the Ohio State's of the world, so we can't endure many (if any) "take-the-money-and-runs".

Unfortunately, to be competitive, you have to "front" money in certain occasions on sought after players.

We've never "fronted", and then had a player split, until now.
Which part are you wrong about? And which part are you out and out lying about?

I have no idea the amount of payments…not my business. But 100% there are monthly payments. That I know.

ALL parties operated in good faith. NOTHING was done with a spirit of ill intent and for you to be a part of this “narrative” they are trying to push is not good.

There are very specific reasons Phil decided to leave. He was up front with those concerns from the start and they continued to be issues.

We hate that this is getting sideways, but it does not concern us at all. We have documented the issues and each conversation. Thank goodness.

This will be my final post on the site. We wish nothing but the best for these coaches, these players, and above all…the university.
Thank you for the way you have posted on this site with knowledge and class. I wish you and Philip + his family the best for this year and in the future.

Which part are you wrong about? And which part are you out and out lying about?
Hmm. Let me see...

For us (Indiana), a learning experience obviously. We don't have the NIL funds of the Ohio State's of the world, so we can't endure many (if any) "take-the-money-and-runs". Not wrong about this.

Unfortunately, to be competitive, you have to "front" money in certain occasions on sought after players. Also true, not wrong about this. "Unsecured" upfront money is a risk you might have to take on occasion to be competitive in the marketplace...like a "signing bonus".

We've never "fronted", and then had a player split, until now. Not wrong, this was our first "walk".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT