ADVERTISEMENT

Blidi in portal

Who knows. I thought the player had to officially enter the portal before another team could contact him.
I assume the player's agent can make whatever deal he wants. Another team never has to contact a player before the official portal period opens, I don't think. NIL agreements aren't with the team, don'tchaknow.

Reactions: 76-1 and jsenleo
I assume the player's agent can make whatever deal he wants. Another team never has to contact a player before the official portal period opens, I don't think. NIL agreements aren't with the team, don'tchaknow.
Agents? I thought they couldn't have agents. Oh yeah. Never mind. The Supreme Court opened pandora's box. There’s no getting the toothpaste back in the tube now

Last edited:
Where did Blidi end up going? I see he's been mentioned as getting offers from Washington and LSU.... LSU surprises me.

Reactions: red hornet
He did, but I "heard" he took half of the full amount we agreed to. Well into 6 figures.

First time we've been bamboozled.

If true then that is pretty bad.

Even if not, if that situation is even possible then they need to be smarter in how they hand it out or even when they hand it out. Need better safeguards to make sure NIL only goes to players that stay for the season.

Last edited:
If true then that is pretty bad.

Even if not, if that situation is even possible then they need to be smarter in how they hand it or even when they hand it out. Need better safeguards to make sure NIL only goes to players that stay for the season.
I hear this happening here and other places and I’m surprised NIL is not more contingent on players staying for the season.

I’m sure NIL donors have thought of this. Maybe it’s a monthly payment and the transferring player may be able to take the first few months before they bolt. Or they take a signing bonus before transferring. Just guessing on how these are currently structured.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I hear this happening here and other places and I’m surprised NIL is not more contingent on players staying for the season.

I’m sure NIL donors have thought of this. Maybe it’s a monthly payment and the transferring player may be able to take the first few months before they bolt. Or they take a signing bonus before transferring. Just guessing on how these are currently structured.
I would think people making donations might think twice if it isn't tied to staying

I would think people making donations might think twice if it isn't tied to staying
Yea. Maybe change it so signing bonuses and payments start once the portal closes. Seems obvious but I guess that’s not happening everywhere. It may be so competitive some payments need to start before the portal closes for a player to take an offer. Just guessing — it’s interesting.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
Not allowed to do that
"We want to use your image to enhance our sales to alumni of Indiana, or around our Indianapolis locations. Our research shows being a student at Indiana is the image we need. Once you're not a student the contract is over."

What do you mean it's 'not allowed'? Didn't the supreme court say the students can't be restricted from selling their image?

Also, If it turns out any IU player took upfront money then split, that would seem unethical behavior, although 'it depends' on the agreement. If not accepted in the agreement they should at least pay it back. I'll believe something unethical isn't the case, unless shown otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
"We want to use your image to enhance our sales to alumni of Indiana, or around our Indianapolis locations. Our research shows being a student at Indiana is the image we need. Once you're not a student the contract is over."

What do you mean it's 'not allowed'? Didn't the supreme court say the students can't be restricted from selling their image?

Also, If it turns out any IU player took upfront money then split, that would seem unethical behavior, although 'it depends' on the agreement. If not accepted in the agreement they should at least pay it back. I'll believe something unethical isn't the case, unless shown otherwise.

The rules of NIL currently, it can't be used as a way to keep a kid at a particular school. If it were to be written into said deal, that portion of the deal wouldn't be valid.

People don't like it, but that's the way it is.

The rules of NIL currently, it can't be used as a way to keep a kid at a particular school. If it were to be written into said deal, that portion of the deal wouldn't be valid.

People don't like it, but that's the way it is.
The NCAA rules. You think they'll win, on enforcement?

Not allowed to do that
People can't stop making donations all they want if they find players are taking the money and running

And why couldn't it be tied to staying? Nike and other shoe companies pay for actual NIL and they make them sign contracts to not flip to other shoe companies.

He'll, even shoe companies sign up schools and I doubt that schools sports teams are allowed to wear shoes from a competitor.

Last edited:
People can't stop making donations all they want if they find players are taking the money and running

And why couldn't it be tied to staying? Nike and other shoe companies pay for actual NIL and they make them sign contracts to not flip to other shoe companies.

He'll, even shoe companies sign up schools and I doubt that schools sports teams are allowed to wear shoes from a competitor.

It can't be tied to staying with a school because that's the way the courts ruled.

What ruling is that?

The NCAA said they interpreted the tennessee case that way, but they're wrong. A school themselves can't tie NIL to attendance. Not the same.

About halfway down

"Two things remain disallowed by NCAA rules: 1) you can't pay a player, and, 2) no quid pro quo.

Players aren't supposed to get any compensation tied for performance, and recruits cannot sign any NIL deal contingent on going to any particular school."

About halfway down

"Two things remain disallowed by NCAA rules: 1) you can't pay a player, and, 2) no quid pro quo.
I've said that in every post. That's what I meant when I said good luck on the NCAA enforcing it. You repeated again that it was illegal.

You said they courts have ruled on it. I just want to know what case shows the NCAA can punish a player on an outside entity deal?
That's all I'm asking. My post said the NCAA couldn't enforce it, not if it wasn't by the school. You are saying they can, against a player and outside agency. I guess. What's the evidence?

Oh well. NVM. My first post was the NCAA will lose in court if they try to stop it and are sufficiently challenged. Sure, sanctions against a school, if they're involved. Not otherwise. No sense hashing it out. I just wondered if there were newer cases then the Tennessee thing.

Thanks for the feedback though. Not disagreeing on what the NCAA believes. And I wish somewhat I could believe it will hold up.

Last edited:
I've said that in every post. That's what I meant when I said good luck on the NCAA enforcing it. You repeated again that it was illegal.

You said they courts have ruled on it. I just want to know what case shows the NCAA can punish a player on an outside entity deal?
That's all I'm asking. My post said the NCAA couldn't enforce it, not if it wasn't by the school. You are saying they can, against a player and outside agency. I guess. What's the evidence?

Oh well. NVM. My first post was the NCAA will lose in court if they try to stop it and are sufficiently challenged. Sure, sanctions against a school, if they're involved. Not otherwise. No sense hashing it out. I just wondered if there were newer cases then the Tennessee thing.

Ahhh, my bad. Totally misunderstood what you were saying.

The last thing I knew was that the NCAA was trying to get the schools to be able to pay the players directly. I haven't seen anything on if that had been ruled on yet.

Ahhh, my bad. Totally misunderstood what you were saying.

The last thing I knew was that the NCAA was trying to get the schools to be able to pay the players directly. I haven't seen anything on if that had been ruled on yet.
That gets complicated for me. I've thought contracts written to NCAA standards would work. And work well as far as enforcing a set of rules that may only allow stuff such as limited transfers if still playing in the same sport, other stuff like non-competes, etc.
Many with legal backgrounds have said here though, it wouldn't pass muster with courts, and would still be the wild west. I don't know.

That gets complicated for me. I've thought contracts written to NCAA standards would work. And work well as far as enforcing a set of rules that may only allow stuff such as limited transfers if still playing in the same sport, other stuff like non-competes, etc.
Many with legal backgrounds have said here though, it wouldn't pass muster with courts, and would still be the wild west. I don't know.

As far as I know, the NCAA keeps changing the rules on transfers and eligibility. That's one of the things they still have control over, if memory serves me correctly.

NIL, they can hit schools for recruiting violations but outside of that, they are basically ruderless. They should have taken action when they had the chance, but ignored the problem when it was presented.

As far as I know, the NCAA keeps changing the rules on transfers and eligibility. That's one of the things they still have control over, if memory serves me correctly.

NIL, they can hit schools for recruiting violations but outside of that, they are basically ruderless. They should have taken action when they had the chance, but ignored the problem when it was presented.
My cousin is an attorney and was interviewing in early 2020 for a job with the NCAA. They were hiring attorneys to develop NIL policy. Then the pandemic shut things down and the NCAA discontinued the interviews. They then laid off a good number of their staff so the executives could preserve their salaries. They may have doomed themselves with their short-sightedness

The NCAA is pretty much toothless unless they get relief from congress. And that doesn't appear to be forthcoming.

Last edited:
Reactions: red hornet and DANC

About halfway down

Players aren't supposed to get any compensation tied for performance, and recruits cannot sign any NIL deal contingent on going to any particular school."
Are you assuming a current player would be defined as a “recruit” in this context? That would surprise me.

I think it’s different to say to a RECRUIT “come to IU and you will get paid x dollars” vs. to a PLAYER “We will pay you to be in an ad this fall as long as you still play here”. Maybe not, just pointing out the discrepancy in what it actually says and what you are saying it says.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT