ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana Hoosiers For Good Signs Largest NIL Class Ever:

red hornet

Junior
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2019
By Indystar

Hoosiers For Good will partner with 48 athletes across a range of sports with the total of seven charities as part of its latest effort in the NIL space.

Some of the FB players include QB's Tyler Cherry, Tayven Jackson, DL Philip Blidi, OL Carter Smith & WR Elijah Sarratt.

Most recently, Hoosiers Connect partnered with Starlight Distillery to raise NIL funds for IU athletes with 25% of their Hoosiers Connect vodka sales distributed to the IU NIL.

By Indystar

Hoosiers For Good will partner with 48 athletes across a range of sports with the total of seven charities as part of its latest effort in the NIL space.

Some of the FB players include QB's Tyler Cherry, Tayven Jackson, DL Philip Blidi, OL Carter Smith & WR Elijah Sarratt.

Most recently, Hoosiers Connect partnered with Starlight Distillery to raise NIL funds for IU athletes with 25% of their Hoosiers Connect vodka sales distributed to the IU NIL.
48 seems low, but I really have no idea who gets what.

Tayven Jackson....... :rolleyes:

The article did not give money figures. The number of athletes involved is the highest ever so it's expanding.
I just figured most, if not all, got a taste. 48 just seems low, but as I said, I don't have a feel for who gets what.

I assumed the NIL would go up, since that was one of Cignetti's condition on signing on.

Reactions: 76-1 and red hornet
I just figured most, if not all, got a taste. 48 just seems low, but as I said, I don't have a feel for who gets what.

I assumed the NIL would go up, since that was one of Cignetti's condition on signing on.
And we also have Hoosier Connect NIL which has been expanding also.

Reactions: 76-1 and DANC
And we also have Hoosier Connect NIL which has been expanding also.
See, I pay so little attention, I didn't even know there were 2 entities that give out NIL money.

Personally, I think those organizations should be outlawed - they are quasi-university organizations. NIL money should only be players negotiating deals for themselves, imo.

Coaches and the AD should have no say in who gets NIL money.

Last edited:
See, I pay so little attention, I didn't even know there were 2 entities that give out NIL money.

Personally, I think those organizations should be outlawed - the are quasi-university organizations. NIL money should only be players negotiating deals for themselves, imo.

Well clearly they do…I mean it’s no coincidence that a lot of these portal guys are getting NIL…but I don’t know how it would work any other way. I could list various scenarios but the bottom line is athletes are allowed to be paid without the University getting in the way, but also you aren’t going to pay somebody who the coach doesn’t want, won’t start, whatever. So I don’t see a way to get out of some communication about the issue or how you would outlaw it if you wanted to.

Well clearly they do…I mean it’s no coincidence that a lot of these portal guys are getting NIL…but I don’t know how it would work any other way. I could list various scenarios but the bottom line is athletes are allowed to be paid without the University getting in the way, but also you aren’t going to pay somebody who the coach doesn’t want, won’t start, whatever. So I don’t see a way to get out of some communication about the issue or how you would outlaw it if you wanted to.

Do you think the current system has anything to do with name, image or likeness or even players finding a way to make money on their own?

This is nothing more than player salaries that are forced to be paid for by donations only. Unlike with pro sports, we have nothing maintaining competitive balance. No salary caps, no contracts, no anything.

Personally, I think those organizations should be outlawed - the are quasi-university organizations. NIL money should only be players negotiating deals for themselves, imo.

I would hope coaches could nominate worthy recipients… No say seems to be out of touch with reality.

NIL is supposed to be for athletes to market their name, image, and likeness. That's it. Schools aren't supposed to be able to have anything to do with it.

The NCAA can certainly enforce the school's - and Athletic Departments - from participating in it.

NIL is supposed to be for athletes to market their name, image, and likeness. That's it. Schools aren't supposed to be able to have anything to do with it.

The NCAA can certainly enforce the school's - and Athletic Departments - from participating in it.
Yes a rule banning referrals (other than is X on the roster?) could be passed… but I would be surprised if it were.

So the school use of the student athlete on billboards, adds etc..isn’t NIL? You are looking at this through the eyes of the NCAA. The NCAA has never had the student athlete best interests. They couldn’t manage an automatic car wash. What happens when those athletes win the profit sharing battle? Hell even universities have profited way more than the athletes for decades. Free education pffft.

Yeah that worked.

I’m not so sure.

Businesses sponsor awards all the time that someone else designates…”the top science fair project wins the EyeCare Visionary Award” which is selected by the science fair judges.

Is that so different than “The starting QB will be offered the opportunity to appear in a commercial for $1,000,000”?

To be clear, I’m not a fan of any of it, but if it’s legal, I’m not sure the ncaa is able to rule that out of the process.

Reactions: vesuvius13

The NCAA has tried to enforce the rules but keep losing court battles.

So the school use of the student athlete on billboards, adds etc..isn’t NIL? You are looking at this through the eyes of the NCAA. The NCAA has never had the student athlete best interests. They couldn’t manage an automatic car wash. What happens when those athletes win the profit sharing battle? Hell even universities have profited way more than the athletes for decades. Free education pffft.
It isn't the school paying the NIL.

What are the people paying for name, image, likeness getting for their payment? Other than a thanks and a better football team

I’m not so sure.

Businesses sponsor awards all the time that someone else designates…”the top science fair project wins the EyeCare Visionary Award” which is selected by the science fair judges.

Is that so different than “The starting QB will be offered the opportunity to appear in a commercial for $1,000,000”?

To be clear, I’m not a fan of any of it, but if it’s legal, I’m not sure the ncaa is able to rule that out of the process.
I think it's different. The science student isn't being paid room and board and stipend for attending that school.

The NCAA is there to set and enforce rules for the members. I think they could be much stricter with schools' involvement in NIL if they wanted to. Not NIL itself, obviously, but with the schools' involvement.

I think it's different. The science student isn't being paid room and board and stipend for attending that school.

The NCAA is there to set and enforce rules for the members. I think they could be much stricter with schools' involvement in NIL if they wanted to. Not NIL itself, obviously, but with the schools' involvement.
Have you been under a rock? The ncaa just got another smack by VA and Tenn governments. That business student isn’t worth thousands in NIL for the school either. So the school can profit off of that player but the player can’t get some of those funds? That’s coming by the way. The ncaa is done. Happening faster than anyone thought.

It isn't the school paying the NIL.

What are the people paying for name, image, likeness getting for their payment? Other than a thanks and a better football team
We know this but he’s saying the ncaa can and should enforce rules governing nil. You see how that’s going. The NCAA has lost every ruling and injunction so far. I’m simply saying the ncaa has and failed to enforce state NIL laws. They now have no jurisdiction on using it as a recruiting tool.

The NCAA has tried to enforce the rules but keep losing court battles.
The NCAA wrote rules hindering NIL. They set themselves up to lose again. If a player can make more money going to a new school the courts have simply said you can’t hinder that athlete from transferring or talking to that athlete about it. People need to stop saying the NCAA has any jurisdiction or justification for their rules. Rules that in most part took advantage of people. The NCAA has screwed over athletes for 40-50 years. Using technicalities and bullying. They haven’t changed or learned from its mistakes. I will never defend the NCAA.

Then maybe it's past time to setup the NCAA like the NBA is setup. The NBA is obviously legal afterall

Drafts, contracts, salary caps. Lets get it done.

Then maybe it's past time to setup the NCAA like the NBA is setup. The NBA is obviously legal afterall

Drafts, contracts, salary caps. Let’s get it done.
Won’t stop nil. Remember NIL exists in the NBA. NIL is over and above. I’m in the camp of doing what you are saying but it won’t be with the current ncaa.

We know this but he’s saying the ncaa can and should enforce rules governing nil. You see how that’s going. The NCAA has lost every ruling and injunction so far. I’m simply saying the ncaa has and failed to enforce state NIL laws. They now have no jurisdiction on using it as a recruiting tool.
No, as usual you completely miss the point.

The NCAA can't enforce rules governing NIL - that's been decided by the courts.

But they can keep schools from participating in NIL, which they've been doing.

There's a difference there, if you care to give it 30 seconds of thought.

Won’t stop nil. Remember NIL exists in the NBA. NIL is over and above. I’m in the camp of doing what you are saying but it won’t be with the current ncaa.

It stops the incentive for people to pay players to come to their school if they are drafted and contractually obligated to play. It also stops the need to get into a facilities battle.

If a player wants to make more money through actually using their name image and likeness (legitimately and not the current fake version of it) then go for it. But that will be based on their own ability to get those deals and not just schools funneling donations to them.

It stops the incentive for people to pay players to come to their school if they are drafted and contractually obligated to play. It also stops the need to get into a facilities battle.

If a player wants to make more money through actually using their name image and likeness (legitimately and not the current fake version of it) then go for it. But that will be based on their own ability to get those deals and not just schools funneling donations to them.
To many schools and players to draft. No way that happens. Imho. They will still incentivize and the arms race is still going to happen. NFL and the NBA still upgrade.

To many schools and players to draft. No way that happens. Imho. They will still incentivize and the arms race is still going to happen. NFL and the NBA still upgrade.

all you have to do is have the SEC and Big Ten come together on this. The other schools can play minor league.

No, as usual you completely miss the point.

The NCAA can't enforce rules governing NIL - that's been decided by the courts.

But they can keep schools from participating in NIL, which they've been doing.

There's a difference there, if you care to give it 30 seconds of thought.
They will lose that battle too. Tennessee is already involved in direct NIL. Not payments but negotiations. The payments will come with revenue sharing.

By Indystar

How do they decide which 48? Is it slanted to sports with larger attendance? Football, MBB, WBB, then what?

The NBA has statutory exemptions created by Congress to business laws created by Congress. Those exemptions allow the NBA (and NFL and etc) to operate they way do and allow them to control income of players through salary caps and collectively-bargained rules. No exemptions = no legal right to affect NIL income.

The NBA has statutory exemptions created by Congress to business laws created by Congress. Those exemptions allow the NBA (and NFL and etc) to operate they way do and allow them to control income of players through salary caps and collectively-bargained rules. No exemptions = no legal right to affect NIL income.
And? It still doesn’t stop NIL. I get they can have collective bargaining /profit sharing but right now there is rules against universities and players doing that. Long way off from an NBA or NFL style agreement. A collective bargaining agreement doesn’t hinder or control income. players can still profit outside the agreement. NCAA rules wouldn’t allow that. Still didn’t until the injunction. The players aren’t employees or contractors.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT