ADVERTISEMENT

Blidi in portal

Apparently the Simon's are running the basketball program, Buckner's the middle man, and Dolson's not in the loop.
They own the pacers. They contributed big money to renovate assembly hall. Apparently in return they expect some measure of control. Check the basketball board.

Last edited:
They own the pacers. They contributed big money to renovate assembly hall. Apparently in return they expect some measure of control. Check the basketball board.
oh, ok. I got mixed up. I thought it was his brother who gave all the money and not Herb. So ignore what I said about the daughter .

oh, ok. I got mixed up. I thought it was his brother who gave all the money and not Herb. So ignore what I said about the daughter .
You may be right. Whichever branch of the family donated the money to renovate the Hall.

Last edited:
Actually, Cindy Simon Skojt donated $40m for renovation of Assembly Hall. She is daughter of Melvin Simon founder of Simon Property Group and former part owner of Pacers. Cindy & her husband Paul Skojt are co-owners of Indy Ice (plus I am sure she has/had a lot of Simon Stock.

Yes they have owned the Pacers for over 40 years... and, during their ownership the team has spent the majority of its time in the lower half of the league... there have only been a few years when they have been contenders for anything let alone a championship....

We can only hope they have zero control over IU bball

Sometimes I wonder if the Simons know the difference between basketball and basket weaving....

Reactions: DANC
Yes they have owned the Pacers for over 40 years... and, during their ownership the team has spent the majority of its time in the lower half of the league... there have only been a few years when they have been contenders for anything let alone a championship....

Sometimes I wonder if the Simons know the difference between basketball and basket weaving....
Not to clog this thread with Simon talk, but the Pacers have been a good small market team since the Simon bought them in ‘83.

- Very competitive in ‘90s, made the finals in 2000
- Retooled with JO, Ron, etc. and may have had another finals and maybe championship if not for Detroit fans attacking them 😉
- Early ‘10s built up the Paul George teams that happened to run into the super team Heat
- Recently built another team people are excited about

I’m not saying they’re the Spurs, but they are not bad and the Simons kept them in Indy. It’s tough being small market in the NBA.

Melvin died in 2009. The Simon brothers bought the pacers in 1983.

Reactions: vesuvius13
The attempts to spin the narrative by Blidi's PR team and his fanboys on here are making me sick. Here are some thoughts that have yet to be discussed:

1. Blidi seemed like a good dude while he was here. He still may be a good dude, but I'd be lying if I said my opinion of him didn't change. His actions were unethical - plain and simple. Yes, he has a family to think about (and rationalizing about that may help him to sleep at night), but that doesn't make reneging on a contract and abandoning your teammates right.
2. A lot of fans donated their hard-earned money to the NIL funds. They did so with understanding that the signed athletes would represent Indiana University to the best of their ability on Saturday afternoons in the Fall. Whether Blidi ran away with a large upfront payment or just took the monthly payments to date is a moot point in my opinion. He did not live up to spirit of the agreement. Nobody gives a shit whether he satisfactorily. completed off season workouts or not - that is not what he was ultimately getting paid for.
3. IU football has a very limited pool of NIL funds compared to its peers. When Phil signed the NIL agreement, the funds were allocated to him and it meant that they were not available to offer to other prospects. This is yet another way Phil screwed over the program.
4. Blidi's PR team claimed that he likes the coaching staff, but alluded to some persistent issues with the program that led to his departure. If the PR team is not willing to elaborate on these issues, why allude to them in a public forum where potential recruits could be forced to draw their own conclusions? My interest has been piqued though - I would love to know what these issues could be. Was he forced to eat table scraps from the basketball team? Did he not like the lighting in the indoor facility? I'm curious.

The attempts to spin the narrative by Blidi's PR team and his fanboys on here are making me sick. Here are some thoughts that have yet to be discussed:

1. Blidi seemed like a good dude while he was here. He still may be a good dude, but I'd be lying if I said my opinion of him didn't change. His actions were unethical - plain and simple. Yes, he has a family to think about (and rationalizing about that may help him to sleep at night), but that doesn't make reneging on a contract and abandoning your teammates right.
2. A lot of fans donated their hard-earned money to the NIL funds. They did so with understanding that the signed athletes would represent Indiana University to the best of their ability on Saturday afternoons in the Fall. Whether Blidi ran away with a large upfront payment or just took the monthly payments to date is a moot point in my opinion. He did not live up to spirit of the agreement. Nobody gives a shit whether he satisfactorily. completed off season workouts or not - that is not what he was ultimately getting paid for.
3. IU football has a very limited pool of NIL funds compared to its peers. When Phil signed the NIL agreement, the funds were allocated to him and it meant that they were not available to offer to other prospects. This is yet another way Phil screwed over the program.
4. Blidi's PR team claimed that he likes the coaching staff, but alluded to some persistent issues with the program that led to his departure. If the PR team is not willing to elaborate on these issues, why allude to them in a public forum where potential recruits could be forced to draw their own conclusions? My interest has been piqued though - I would love to know what these issues could be. Was he forced to eat table scraps from the basketball team? Did he not like the lighting in the indoor facility? I'm curious.
Cry much?

What contract did he sign? If he signed one, then it would be enforceable in a court of law.

If you can’t afford to donate money to NL, then don’t donate money to NL. It’s just like the stock market, there are no guarantees on your return on investment.

Of course you’re curious. But no one is under any obligation to take personal business and make it public if they don’t want to. It would be nothing more than he said, he said anyway.

Cry much?

What contract did he sign? If he signed one, then it would be enforceable in a court of law.

If you can’t afford to donate money to NL, then don’t donate money to NL. It’s just like the stock market, there are no guarantees on your return on investment.

Of course you’re curious. But no one is under any obligation to take personal business and make it public if they don’t want to. It would be nothing more than he said, he said anyway.

Are you part of the Blidi PR team or just a fanboy?

Are you part of the Blidi PR team or just a fanboy?
Neither. I’m smart enough to understand there are no NIL rules. Literally zero. So I think it’s bullshit when people cry about something (that they mostly don’t know details about) around something that is 100% unregulated.

4. Blidi's PR team claimed that he likes the coaching staff, but alluded to some persistent issues with the program that led to his departure. If the PR team is not willing to elaborate on these issues, why allude to them in a public forum where potential recruits could be forced to draw their own conclusions? ...
My belief in the simplest explanation, is they need something to spin so Blidi doesn't seem in the wrong, unethical. May be some truth. If he leaves and says everything is great? Not a good look at all.
If everything is pretty darn good, but he realizes Washington or Penn state is ever better for him, they offer more... Or he'd rather have done something different sooner, maybe for family reasons?

Then he has to say "things' aren't best for him here. Still not a great look but then many more fans have heard of guys leaving because of any conflict whether perceived or real.

But still, that's the deal. He CAN leave. He did. Simple. (I also don't appreciate any shade throwing, but it hasn't been much from his side - he said he liked it here and the coaches. Indiana is more hamstrung in that they really shouldn't or can't say much due to legal stuff.)

Last edited:
Neither. I’m smart enough to understand there are no NIL rules. Literally zero. So I think it’s bullshit when people cry about something (that they mostly don’t know details about) around something that is 100% unregulated.
Agreed that there are minimal NIL rules and Bildi probably was within the parameters of the contract. Life does have rules though and in most cases breaking those rules isn’t immediately punishable. Unethical actions as in this case won’t land you in court or jail but does indicate lack of character and unfortunately is found acceptable to some.

I heard it was because there was a soccer player using a squat rack. This is exactly the issue with the weight room not being exclusive football. /sarcasm

Cry much?

Cap raised good points. Not sure why the cry stuff came into play.

NIL agreements are all contracts.....Performance by Party A (the player) and Performance by Party B (the NIL provider).

Cap raised good points. Not sure why the cry stuff came into play.

NIL agreements are all contracts.....Performance by Party A (the player) and Performance by Party B (the NIL provider).
But isn’t the “performance” by party A technically some PR related thing since it legally can’t be “play football” ? That’s where there is a lot of room for trouble.

But isn’t the “performance” by party A technically some PR related thing since it legally can’t be “play football” ? That’s where there is a lot of room for trouble.
I keep seeing this stated. That it can't be to play football.
But nobody yet has been able to point me to where the law says that? I know the NCAA says that. No dispute there. What law says that? (Maybe it's a thing, I'm just asking?)

"Here's a contract where we would like to hire you to represent our firm. Since our clients are mainly in the lower Michigan area, and our marketing is sports related and student image related, Clause VI-b, Sec. vii, says we can void the contract if you are no longer enrolled at the University of Michigan in good standing."

I thought court cases have beat down the NCAA when they tried to sanction pay for play like this?

My belief in the simplest explanation, is they need something to spin so Blidi doesn't seem in the wrong, unethical. May be some truth. If he leaves and says everything is great? Not a good look at all.
If everything is pretty darn good, but he realizes Washington or Penn state is ever better for him, they offer more... Or he'd rather have done something different sooner, maybe for family reasons?

Then he has to say "things' aren't best for him here. Still not a great look but then many more fans have heard of guys leaving because of any conflict whether perceived or real.

But still, that's the deal. He CAN leave. He did. Simple. (I also don't appreciate any shade throwing, but it hasn't been much from his side - he said he liked it here and the coaches. Indiana is more hamstrung in that they really shouldn't or can't say much due to legal stuff.)
I don’t have a side but I will say it amusing to me that Mr Blidi (who I believe has exited the building) is credited with being “forthright” on the issue…what he actually said was “my son is great, he did the right thing he didn’t want to take snaps from the other guys… “ Well if he’s so great forget “taking snaps” and just give the money back Jack!!

Checks work both ways.

When those inconvenient facts were brought into the discussion, Mr. Blidi found the nearest exit.

I will miss having a parent on the board but that rarely ends well (right Mr. Lagow?)

I keep seeing this stated. That it can't be to play football.
But nobody yet has been able to point me to where the law says that? I know the NCAA says that. No dispute there. What law says that? (Maybe it's a thing, I'm just asking?)

"Here's a contract where we would like to hire you to represent our firm. Since our clients are mainly in the lower Michigan area, and our marketing is sports related and student image related, Clause VI-b, Sec. vii, says we can void the contract if you are no longer enrolled at the University of Michigan in good standing."

I thought court cases have beat down the NCAA when they tried to sanction pay for play like this?
I believe the law only states you can’t disallow them to get paid because they play, and the ncaa says you can’t explicitly pay them only to play. I hope that makes sense.

When I said “legally” I meant “within ncaa rules” but you are correct those are not the same.

I would think there would be contracts like what you wrote but the ncaa must still be able to have certain restrictions.

Reactions: OpenWheels
The Player is contractually obligated to perform something. PR, commercials, whatever. Keep in mind there are no NIL rules right now, so in theory, absent a state statute that says otherwise, a collective can condition payment upon anything-- at least until a federal court reinstates NCAA rules.

the only hope for Congress to pass legislation so it is uniform across the states.

So if there’s a breach of contract then it’s pretty clear and we’ll get our money back. Right?
so you've now conflated 8 things at once and then played a different card while changing the question. Nice going ox.

Let's just stick to the original premise, which was your dopey comment that NIL agreements weren't contracts. They are. What's your next question?

so you've now conflated 8 things at once and then played a different card while changing the question. Nice going ox.

Let's just stick to the original premise, which was your dopey comment that NIL agreements weren't contracts. They are. What's your next question?
So it is a contract but not enforceable? I don’t understand

I don’t have a side but I will say it amusing to me that Mr Blidi (who I believe has exited the building) is credited with being “forthright” on the issue…what he actually said was “my son is great, he did the right thing he didn’t want to take snaps from the other guys… “ Well if he’s so great forget “taking snaps” and just give the money back Jack!!

Checks work both ways.

When those inconvenient facts were brought into the discussion, Mr. Blidi found the nearest exit.

I will miss having a parent on the board but that rarely ends well (right Mr. Lagow?)
Yeah, DThompson's final post made it pretty clear he didn't want to go into it any further.

This whole bullshit of "He likes the staff and was happy here, but made his issues known" is just complete nonsense. Unless the issues were outside the coaching staff's control, which means Blidi just took the money and ran.

Incorrect! THEY have not owned for over 40 years, Herb has had ownership since 1983, Melvin from 1983-2009. The Simon brothers had ownership for only 26 years

WTF??... Where did I say 'brothers'? I said, "they" being Simons.... all in the same. Plus, Herb was a minority partner not long after Mel founded the Simon Group, which was way before THEY bought the Pacers.... basically, he shared in the Pacer venture.... I sold Pacers radio and TV in the 80's and worked directly with their sales management... I kinda know who I'm talking about... Please, go find something useful to do.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC

Fan boys? Lol, shut up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand where Auburn is located....however, is "sweet home Alabama" the right slogan to choose when committing to Auburn?
tom hanks alabama GIF

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT