ADVERTISEMENT

Alec Baldwin fired prop gun that killed woman on film set of Rust

So, does this mean Baldwin lied or just "misremembered" when he told Stephanopoulos that he didn't pull the trigger?
Well, Baldwin makes his living in a business that thrives on creating the illusion of reality. Why wouldn't he create a scenario in which he is completely blameless. In this case, it's Alex's perception of reality versus the FBI's science. Alex v. the FBI, tough call! I 'd say just follow the science but, that doesn't help either.

4th degree felony. 18 months. I doubt he does a day. He'll go get the best crim defense guy in that county and smack the prosecutor's office around. Then they'll announce a deal

4th degree felony. 18 months. I doubt he does a day. He'll go get the best crim defense guy in that county and smack the prosecutor's office around. Then they'll announce a deal
If I'm Baldwin, I go to trial. I think he'd have a decent chance on appeal even if convincted, unless they have some damning proof that as the producer, he OK'd a bunch of outrageous cost-cutting measures including safety ones. Like someone testifies "I told him if we don't have this person on set, someone could get shot. And he responded, 'I don't care.'"

If I'm Baldwin, I go to trial. I think he'd have a decent chance on appeal even if convincted, unless they have some damning proof that as the producer, he OK'd a bunch of outrageous cost-cutting measures including safety ones. Like someone testifies "I told him if we don't have this person on set, someone could get shot. And he responded, 'I don't care.'"
Maybe. They already found enough to charge him. And I don't know what the people in that county are like. If they knock it down to a misd on a plea deal i'd just be done with it. he is old with 37 kids and a young wife. i wouldn't want to F with all that. he needs saul goodman

Maybe. I don't know what the people in that county are like. If they knock it down to a misd on a plea deal i'd just be done with it. he is old with 37 kids. i wouldn't want to F with all that. he needs saul goodman
Don't forget the civil trial to follow and his Hollywood career. He needs to clear his name.

Reactions: larsIU
Maybe. I don't know what the people in that county are like. If they knock it down to a misd on a plea deal i'd just be done with it. he is old with 37 kids. i wouldn't want to F with all that. he needs saul goodman
I like him as an actor. I think he’s a jerk, in large part because he’s been an actor. And my guess is he will fight this with all of the liberal, social justice warrior, virtue-signaling gusto he can still drum up. And I would aid his defense. He is a freaking actor. It is not his job to make sure that the fantasy world created in the fantasy place so they can film it and make people pay to watch the fantasy doesn’t include real bullets in the gun they tell him to pick up, point around, and pull the trigger. This is like suing a stewardess because the pilot crashed the plane.

I like him as an actor. I think he’s a jerk, in large part because he’s been an actor. And my guess is he will fight this with all of the liberal, social justice warrior, virtue-signaling gusto he can still drum up. And I would aid his defense. He is a freaking actor. It is not his job to make sure that the fantasy world created in the fantasy place so they can film it and make people pay to watch the fantasy doesn’t include real bullets in the gun they tell him to pick up, point around, and pull the trigger. This is like suing a stewardess because the pilot crashed the plane.
Agreed. That said i don't have the benefit of whatever info the prosecutor's office has. presumably they found enough to charge him so.... and presumably, not to be a dick, they have enough self-awareness to recognize that they probably aren't the A team and will be out of their league with whoever is the top lawyer in town that baldwin will retain. ah shit maybe they want a televised trial. parlay it into a tv show or court host or something

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
i think he already settled that. and i'm sure he has a massive homeowners policy if not
I missed that. Thanks for the catch.

Kinda icky settlement terms:

Alec Baldwin and the production company behind the troubled Western "Rust" have reached a settlement in the wrongful death lawsuit filed by the family of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, who was fatally shot on the movie's set last fall.

As part of the settlement announced Wednesday, her husband Matthew Hutchins will serve as an executive producer on the movie, which plans to resume production in January. He was a plaintiff in the suit along with the couple's 9-year-old son, Andros.

they have enough self-awareness to recognize that they probably aren't the A team and will be out of their league with whoever is the top lawyer in town that baldwin will retain.
LOL. How many attorneys do you know?

• Haha
I missed that. Thanks for the catch.

Kinda icky settlement terms:

Alec Baldwin and the production company behind the troubled Western "Rust" have reached a settlement in the wrongful death lawsuit filed by the family of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, who was fatally shot on the movie's set last fall.

As part of the settlement announced Wednesday, her husband Matthew Hutchins will serve as an executive producer on the movie, which plans to resume production in January. He was a plaintiff in the suit along with the couple's 9-year-old son, Andros.
dying laughing. that's ridiculous! hahahaha

100%

i think he already settled that. and i'm sure he has a massive homeowners policy if not
I think there were multiple civil suits. Not sure if all have been settled.

The assistant director who called cold gun before handing it to Baldwin has already signed a plea deal. I assume that means he's the key witness to show how unsafe the production was with crew walking off over safety concerns and the armorer being green.

Reactions: larsIU and DANC
I think there were multiple civil suits. Not sure if all have been settled.

The assistant director who called cold gun before handing it to Baldwin has already signed a plea deal. I assume that means he's the key witness to show how unsafe the production was with crew walking off over safety concerns and the armorer being green.
I get it, but just how green do you have to be not to look inside the gun? Do you need to be an armorer for that?

I get it, but just how green do you have to be not to look inside the gun? Do you need to be an armorer for that?
I assume it's all about liability coverage on the set and SAG type rules & regs, but I don't know the details.

That's kind of my argument with the idea that Baldwin isn't responsible in some way. You should never take someone else's word for it when you're handed a firearm in the real world. The first thing you do is check to see if there's one on the pipe.

I assume it's all about liability coverage on the set and SAG type rules & regs, but I don't know the details.

That's kind of my argument with the idea that Baldwin isn't responsible in some way. You should never take someone else's word for it when you're handed a firearm in the real world. The first thing you do is check to see if there's one on the pipe.
But that's the key: he wasn't in the "real" world. He was an actor, on a set, pretending with what he had every reason to believe was a prop.

No doubt, though, from now on, the policy on all sets will be for the actor to also check.

he fired what he knew was a real gun at someone, because someone told him it wasn't loaded, without checking himself to make sure it wasn't loaded.

the fact that that may be common practice on set doesn't excuse it.

Baldwin has to take some legal responsibility, as does the one who told him it wasn't loaded.

that said,

A) no excuse for using a real gun in the first place.

B), hopefully in the future, the shooter themself will always check it themself, despite what they were told.

question for the board lawyers,

this happens daily in the US where someone shoots another with a gun they thought wasn't loaded.

how do those cases usually come out?

But that's the key: he wasn't in the "real" world. He was an actor, on a set, pretending with what he had every reason to believe was a prop.

No doubt, though, from now on, the policy on all sets will be for the actor to also check.
There was a lot of crowd noise in Hollywood when this happened from people who said they'd never again use real firearms in their movies. I'd venture a guess that it will go that direction before you see actors forced to check, although I'm sure there will be those who will insist on checking for themselves.

Separate topic - If there were any depos from the civil suits, are those admissible in a criminal trial?

he fired what he knew was a real gun at someone, because someone told him it wasn't loaded, without checking himself to make sure it wasn't loaded.

the fact that that may be common practice on set doesn't excuse it.

Baldwin has to take some legal responsibility, as does the one who told him it wasn't loaded.

that said,

A) no excuse for using a real gun in the first place.

B), hopefully in the future, the shooter themself will always check it themself, despite what they were told.

question for the board lawyers,

this happens daily in the US where someone shoots another with a gun they thought wasn't loaded.

how do those cases usually come out?
depends on the facts. if it was a true accident/unintentional the plaintiff can tap the defendant's homeowners policy if they have a home and recover some dough. without the benefit of the context of a movie set the shooter will likely do some time - how long depends on priors, facts, condition of the defendant etc. big difference between shooting your buddy by accident with the new gun you were showing him and robbing a liquor store and using a gun to scare the worker and not knowing it was loaded

Normally I'd agree. But Baldwin is such an unlikable asshole, I doubt his lawyers would want him on the stand. I realize he's an actor, but he can't hide his smarmy attitude.

There was a lot of crowd noise in Hollywood when this happened from people who said they'd never again use real firearms in their movies. I'd venture a guess that it will go that direction before you see actors forced to check, although I'm sure there will be those who will insist on checking for themselves.

Separate topic - If there were any depos from the civil suits, are those admissible in a criminal trial?
Depends on the state's laws and the circumstances and I don't know New Mexico's. Typically, though, you can use prior inconsistent statements to impeach a witness.

To people who are unfamiliar with firearms, they might not think to check.

It's common sense to most people, but I'm Baldwin thought he shouldn't need to check it himself - 'other people' are supposed to do that. In fact, they should have. Have you seen the credits after a movies. I'm surprised they don't list who wipes their ass.

in addition to what brad said he wouldn't have answered anything incriminating. unless his lawyer is mental. he shouldn't have been doing a tv tour

He could also simply answer: Guess what. Guess what. I don't recall

• Haha
Reactions: hookyIU1990
depends on the facts. if it was a true accident/unintentional the plaintiff can tap the defendant's homeowners policy if they have a home and recover some dough. without the benefit of the context of a movie set the shooter will likely do some time - how long depends on priors, facts, condition of the defendant etc. big difference between shooting your buddy by accident with the new gun you were showing him and robbing a liquor store and using a gun to scare the worker and not knowing it was loaded

shooting someone by accident while showing him your new gun, imo isn't the same as aiming it at him and pulling the trigger, thinking it wasn't loaded.

i'd think any time you aim a real gun at someone and pull the trigger thinking it isn't loaded without looking, is criminally negligent behavior.

the movie set with someone supposedly in charge of such things is a new wrinkle in that no doubt.

that said, makes me think of my drivers ed days back in the mid 1960s.

seem to recall my teacher saying that in a wreck, the person with the last clear chance to avoid the accident is at fault.

in this case, Baldwin would be that person.

a tragic accident, but an easily avoided one.

regardless how the legal side comes out, hard to think Baldwin ever recovers emotionally.

He could also simply answer: Guess what. Guess what. I don't recall

Bieber deposition? I'm not falling for no banana in the tailpipe.

I assume Baldwin wouldn't say much if anything, I was wondering about the others who were bringing the suits or those who were ancillary to Baldwin. I've only been deposed once and that was more than enough for me, but a couple of other people who were deposed as part of the same suit were absolutely running their mouths at near the redline in some instances in an effort to be "helpful".

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
Bieber deposition? I'm not falling for no banana in the tailpipe.

I assume Baldwin wouldn't say much if anything, I was wondering about the others who were bringing the suits or those who were ancillary to Baldwin. I've only been deposed once and that was more than enough for me, but a couple of other people who were deposed as part of the same suit were absolutely running their mouths at near the redline in some instances in an effort to be "helpful".
That Bieber clip is a classic. I absolutely love the “guess what. Guess what. I don’t recall”

Now THAT, is an SNL skit I would actually enjoy.
A woman/wife/mother is dead, man. Pump the brakes a bit.

he is old with 37 kids and a young wife.
#aspirations #goalz

Umbrellas everywhere probaby

Agreed. That said i don't have the benefit of whatever info the prosecutor's office has. presumably they found enough to charge him so.... and presumably, not to be a dick, they have enough self-awareness to recognize that they probably aren't the A team and will be out of their league with whoever is the top lawyer in town that baldwin will retain. ah shit maybe they want a televised trial. parlay it into a tv show or court host or something
Marica Clark did really well after the OJ case. Darden, not so much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT