ADVERTISEMENT

Alec Baldwin fired prop gun that killed woman on film set of Rust

Right now it seems likely someone took the gun out at break and shot cans with it. IF that is true, I suspect that person will face charges. The assistant director that called it a cold gun might face charges, Baldwin will probably face a charge (it seems other actors were checking their guns which means there wasn't a rule on set). The armorer should have had control of the weapons when not in use in the scenes, so she might face a charge too. Even if she doesn't I doubt she will work on a movie again. There is another story of her handling guns wrong on another set, including firing a weapon with no warning next to Nic Cage. They also told of her carrying pistols in her hands and tucking rifles facing backwards under her arms with blank) rounds in them. No way someone should carry a weapon tucked under their arms, and especially backwards. One has no idea when/if someone is in a line of fire.

The fact that someone could use a weapon designated as a movie "prop" for target practice during downtime just makes the armorer even that much more incompetent. WTF. Seems to me the armorer should be in control of the firearms at all times when not filming/rehearsing, and check them each time they leave their hands. This doesn't seem difficult. Hard to believe this person could have been praised by the director if they were allowing pistols to be used for sport during lunch. Sheesh.

Unfortunate quote from Baldwin earlier when talking about making this film: "Baldwin told The Hollywood Reporter that he was elated to work with Souza after missing the opportunity to star in Crown Vic (2019). He compared the screenplay to the 1992 film Unforgiven, and said it was inspired by a true story. When asked about his gun slinging and horse riding skills, he said, "They're always at the ready. I'm an actor of the old school. So if you read my resume – my motorcycle riding, my French, juggling, my horseback riding, my gunplay – is all right at my fingertips at all times."[5]

Lol.

After taking a course in hand guns, I always check my gun to see if it is loaded before I holster it. After that, I never point the gun at anything I don't intend to kill or destroy. This was just part of the training I was given before I got my license to carry. After 8 years I still hear the instructor's words.

It is difficult for me to believe that relying on another person to tell you that a gun is not loaded absolves you of the responsibility for safely handling of a gun. The ultimate responsibility rests solely with handler of the weapon, in this case, Alex Baldwin. Had he handled the gun properly no one would be dead. That said, my heart goes out to him, to kill someone under those circumstance would be devastating, regardless of the legal issues involved. It will undoubtedly haunt him for the rest of his life.

"It will undoubtedly haunt ..."

As it should.

Better to be him now, than Halyna Hutchins.

He has a second chance, she doesn't.

Baldwin should be prosecuted for involuntary manslaughter. Sucks but he is the one who pointed the gun
It’s just insane that any form of live ammunition was on the set. How can you blame an actor when they’re handed a gun and was told the gun was checked? Whomever brought live ammunition onto the set should be the one who is prosecuted.

Reactions: 11TOP
Let's count the policies:

1. Baldwin's personal umbrella
2. The production company
3. Probably whatever union she's in
4. the location (assuming it was rented)

Limits for all in the NOR
Personal umbrella excludes business pursuits. Won’t apply.

Reactions: larsIU
It’s just insane that any form of live ammunition was on the set. How can you blame an actor when they’re handed a gun and was told the gun was checked? Whomever brought live ammunition onto the set should be the one who is prosecuted.
It’s shocking to me they use real guns. Hollywood can‘t simulate a real gun? Even blank guns are only chambered for blanks (can’t accept real ammo), so why not use them?
Also, anyone who’s been around firearms knows the first thing you do when handed a firearm is check the cylinder or breach. As much as I don’t like Baldwin, I would think that responsibility would fall to those who handle the props.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
It’s shocking to me they use real guns. Hollywood can‘t simulate a real gun? Even blank guns are only chambered for blanks (can’t accept real ammo), so why not use them?
Also, anyone who’s been around firearms knows the first thing you do when handed a firearm is check the cylinder or breach. As much as I don’t like Baldwin, I would think that responsibility would fall to those who handle the props.

I don't think there is any such thing as a "blank gun." Guns used on movie sets that fire blanks have always been actual firearms.

Now, my question is, what exactly are the qualification for being an armorer on a movie set? And how did this 24 year old obtain such a role?

hannah-gutierrez-reed-nicolas-cage05.jpg

Reactions: billyhillui
Right now it seems likely someone took the gun out at break and shot cans with it. IF that is true, I suspect that person will face charges. The assistant director that called it a cold gun might face charges, Baldwin will probably face a charge (it seems other actors were checking their guns which means there wasn't a rule on set). The armorer should have had control of the weapons when not in use in the scenes, so she might face a charge too. Even if she doesn't I doubt she will work on a movie again. There is another story of her handling guns wrong on another set, including firing a weapon with no warning next to Nic Cage. They also told of her carrying pistols in her hands and tucking rifles facing backwards under her arms with blank) rounds in them. No way someone should carry a weapon tucked under their arms, and especially backwards. One has no idea when/if someone is in a line of fire.
The main issue remains: The person who fired the gun was the responsible person. If someone hands me a gun, before I do anything with it, I check to see if it's loaded, period. It does not matter where the gun has been or who used it prior to me. I (the user) have the affirmative duty to check the gun before I do anything with it. What was done the gun before it was placed in Alex Baldwin's possession is irrelevant. If Alex Baldwin had followed the most elementary gun safety rules for a gun handler, no death would have occurred. Arguing that somehow someone other Alex Baldwin is responsible is absurd. No one but Alex Baldwin pulled the trigger.

Last edited:
I don't think there is any such thing as a "blank gun." Guns used on movie sets that fire blanks have always been actual firearms.

Now, my question is, what exactly are the qualification for being an armorer on a movie set? And how did this 24 year old obtain such a role?

Her dad was a famous, long time armorer, & this was only her second set she was the head armorer on. Every time I read a new story on that tragic day on set she was killed, it seems there are yet more new accounts of serious gun safety violations that should never have happened.

But the ultimate mistake was by Baldwin, for NOT FIRST checking PERSONALLY to see if that gun was loaded or UNLOADED, BEFORE he pointed at anyone/her, and FIRED that fatal shot that went through her, & hit Souza, sending both to the hospital, where only he returned.

So very many serious mistakes

Why the hell would anyone hire any one of these 3 (Hulls, Baldwin & Reed) ever again?

Last edited:
Horrible horrible accident. Prayers to the families and friends of the dead and injured.

Same for Baldwin. Trying to forgive yourself over something like this will take years - if ever. Nothing he has done makes him "deserve" this.

"The world is a bad place, a bad place, a terrible place to live. Oh, but I don't want to die."

I think that nothing his victims have ever done deserves what he did to them both. My sympathies go out to his victims.

The main issue remains: The person who fired the gun was the responsible person. If someone hands me a gun, before I do anything with it, I check to see if it's loaded, period. It does not matter where the gun has been or who used it prior to me. I (the user) have the affirmative duty to check the gun before I do anything with it. What was done the gun before it was placed in Alex Baldwin's possession is irrelevant. If Alex Baldwin had followed the most elementary gun safety rules for a gun handler, no death would have occurred. Arguing that somehow someone other Alex Baldwin is responsible is absurd. No one but Alex Baldwin pulled the trigger.

A person can be careless with a screwdriver, hammer, toaster or knife, & usually, nothing fatal ever comes of it. You NEVER take ANY chances with any gun/firearm, ESPECIALLY if you plan on 'quick drawing' it, pointing it AT SOMEONE, & PULLING THE TRIGGER, ESPECIALLY, if you FAILED to FIRST CHECK/make SURE that gun was loaded or UNLOADED.

Others on that set (Hulls & Reed) made serious gun safety mistakes that fateful day, BUT ONLY BALDWIN pointed it at SOMEONE & PULLED THE TRIGGER, without FIRST CHECKING to make SURE if it was LOADED or UNLOADED.

Baldwin, Reed & Hulls get more chances, Hutchins doesn't.

Game over

I don't think there is any such thing as a "blank gun."

Wrong. I’ve owned “blank guns.”

In addition, it’s possible to disable a “real” firearm into a blank one.

You nailed it, very well done!

Just think if Baldwin's gun had been a machinegun, & not two, but 5/6 people would have been behind that camera. I have nothing against Baldwin or anyone else, but what he did, was totally unnecessary/so very deadly. With what we've read & heard on that crazy/unsafe set lately, this could have happened several times previously, & on different days.

Her dad was a famous armorer, & this was her second on set head armorer job. I don't think her first armorer job went so well?

Nick Cage

I will ask again since your last response was removed, why are you such an a**hole?
Wait a sec. Maybe I missed it.

Is Crayfish seriously asking why someone else is supposedly an asshole?

I'm guessing this other person doesn't meet Crayfish's high standards to qualify as an asshole. Crayfish should know --after all, he's the best!

• Haha
Wait a sec. Maybe I missed it.

Is Crayfish seriously asking why someone else is supposedly an asshole?

I'm guessing this other person doesn't meet Crayfish's high standards to qualify as an asshole. Crayfish should know --after all, he's the best!
Sorry, I'm just as rookie a--hole.

I'll try harder next post

Crayfish II

Baldwin should be prosecuted for involuntary manslaughter. Sucks but he is the one who pointed the gun
I don't see how a prosecutor could show the necessary recklessness or negligence against Baldwin the Actor. If he was told by the AD or the armorer the gun was "cold," and it's procedure for the actor to trust those men on this point, it's a tough case to make. As Baldwin the Actor's lawyer, I would not be expecting any charges.

However, if the procedures themselves are severely lacking - as many people seem to be suggesting - then I would be worried if I were Baldwin the Producer's lawyer. I'm not sure if there would be any criminal liability under New Mexico law, but I have to think it's worth exploring, at least, and I'd bet money that there are plenty of lawyers right now who are finding it worthwhile to explore at least civil liability against Baldwin the Producer.

Doesn't mean they'll get anywhere, of course. But the guy probably has a headache coming his way.

I don't see how a prosecutor could show the necessary recklessness or negligence against Baldwin the Actor. If he was told by the AD or the armorer the gun was "cold," and it's procedure for the actor to trust those men on this point, it's a tough case to make. As Baldwin the Actor's lawyer, I would not be expecting any charges.

However, if the procedures themselves are severely lacking - as many people seem to be suggesting - then I would be worried if I were Baldwin the Producer's lawyer. I'm not sure if there would be any criminal liability under New Mexico law, but I have to think it's worth exploring, at least, and I'd bet money that there are plenty of lawyers right now who are finding it worthwhile to explore at least civil liability against Baldwin the Producer.

Doesn't mean they'll get anywhere, of course. But the guy probably has a headache coming his way.

"I don't see how a prosecutor could ..."

Have you ever owned/fired a firearm?

The only difference between Baldwin not PERSONALLY checking to see if his machinegun/bazooka or revolver was completely UNLOADED, that someone just handed him & yelled 'cold machinegun/bazooka/gun', was the damage done/# of deaths involved. One is ONE TOO MANY/UNNECESSARY.

One death in these circumstances is too many/unnecessary, if a little common sense is used by the gun/weapon operator who points & fires a weapon, before PERSONALLY KNOWING that weapon is safe/UNLOADED.

Baldwin, aimed & pulled the trigger of a gun HE FAILED TO CHECK FOR ANNUNITION, not HULLS or Reed.

Hulls & Reed made very, very bad mistakes, but ONLY Baldwin was responsible for aiming a loaded gun in a dangerous location, then pulling that trigger.

'Guns are dangerous, IN THE WRONG HANDS'

Think of it this way. I seriously doubt, & it is HIGHLY UNLKIELY Hulls or Reed would have NOT DOUBLE CHECKED a firearm/gun for ammunition someone had just handed them, & yelled 'cold gun', BEFORE pointing that gun in a dangerous direction, & PULLING THAT TRIGGER, HIGHLY UNLIKELY!

THAT mistake goes on Baldwin, & it cost Hutchins her life.

With firearms, you NEVER take chances when pointing & firing them in a dangerous direction, BEFORE MAKING SURE YOURSELF THAT FIREARM IS TOTALLY SAFE/UNLOADED.

Three people made horrible mistakes that fateful day, but, by far the most deadly mistake was made by Baldwin.

I'm a gun collector, & have over 35 firearms, & have been collecting for over 50 years. I have a revolver similar to what Baldwin used on Rust. It takes about 5-7 seconds, at most, to check/make sure that gun is totally unloaded & safe for pointing & quick drawing.

Baldwin is not unfamiliar with firearms, or revolvers like he used on the Rust set.

5-7 seconds, at most

RIP Mrs. Hutchins

Last edited:

Alec Baldwin fired prop gun that killed woman on film set of Rust, authorities say

Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins airlifted to hospital, where she died, while director Joel Souza also injured

Not faulting sglowrider or anyone else in particular, just the term 'prop gun' in general/in it's general use for guns/firearms used on movie sets.

One last thing. 'prop gun' is a bad choice of terms to describe a (dangerous) firearm. It often gives a safe & misleading feeling/false sense of security to those using the term, & weapon.

'Prop guns' are/can be just as deadly (& more so, when not knowing their potential & lethality) as non 'prop guns'.

On set or not/off, 'prop gun' gives a false sense of security. Gun/weapon is a better choice of words to use, on set or otherwise.

Btw, only one bullet, & nearly two deaths.

Always know if the firearm you are pulling the trigger on, is actually loaded or not, before pulling that trigger, always.

Last edited:

She is the daughter of a famous armorer.

Can you imagine him talking to his lawyer: Now you listen to me, smart guy. We're going to do this my way, see. I'll say I didn't pull the trigger, see. It wasn't me. It works all the time in the movies, see. Handsome guy like me never gets convicted. Now tell missy over there to top off my coffee before I shoot her Bwahahaha I'm only joking

In theory, the trigger could have caught on something, but yep, he pulled it. I don't think the "went off on its own" will work as a defense.
I didn't inhale
I've only had 2 beers
I was just helping that sheep over the fence

Yeah, those didn't work either

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
So it just magically went off?

Him and Jussie Smollett should start a Lying House reality show - bring in all Hollywood stars and see who can pull off the most stupid lies - let America vote 1 star off each week. Have Twitter and Tick Tock and Facebook groups.

It'd sell.

Joe "No Taxes on the Middle Class" Biden and Donald "I Won The Election" Trump could be on too. Barack "You Can Keep It" Obama could be their team coach.

It could be a dry run tryout for when we elect Presidents by Tweets.

The 3 biggest lies

The check's in the mail.

I'll still respect you in the morning.

I won't cu....never mind.
I'm going to watch that interview. I've always liked Alec Baldwin.

Well George, I'll tell you what's criminal. That not one of these lackeys on set stepped up and said they were the one to shoot. But whatever. I'll deal with it, George.

In theory, the trigger could have caught on something, but yep, he pulled it. I don't think the "went off on its own" will work as a defense.

Perhaps they will lay the weapon down in front of the jury, and they'll all stare at it until it "goes off" on its own. You know, as a demo. I wonder how long it will take.

I'm going to watch that interview. I've always liked Alec Baldwin.

Well George, I'll tell you what's criminal. That not one of these lackeys on set stepped up and said they were the one to shoot. But whatever. I'll deal with it, George.
I'm a retired lawyer and a full-time cynic.

Sadly, one of the biggest cases my firm was ever involved in was the San Juan DuPont Plaza fire - a fire started by a couple of knuckle-head Teamsters as they left the building after a strike vote. So when the stories came out about labor troubles on this movie set in the days leading up to the accident, my cynical radar went off.

I hope not, but I will not be surprised IF it turns out some pissed off employee decided to "show them all" and sabotaged the regular safety measures, never believing the WORST thing that COULD happen WOULD happen.

I too like Baldwin as an actor.

Sadly, one of the biggest cases my firm was ever involved in was the San Juan DuPont Plaza fire - a fire started by a couple of knuckle-head Teamsters as they left the building after a strike vote. So when the stories came out about labor troubles on this movie set in the days leading up to the accident, my cynical radar went off.

I hope not, but I will not be surprised IF it turns out some pissed off employee decided to "show them all" and sabotaged the regular safety measures, never believing the WORST thing that COULD happen WOULD happen.

I bet you're right.

How does one rig a gun to just go off on its own?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT